• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

sangreal
(01-22-2013, 04:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Derrick01

Starts at 3? Good I'll be home by then. This is going to be a nervous day. Hopefully south park's fate is decided right away so I can get it over with and move on with my day.

first they have to decide if south park can even be included in the sale (SPS says it can't and that they have a right to buy back the property; THQ says otherwise)

South Park Studio's Objection: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/sps_object.pdf
THQ's response: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/thq_sps_response.pdf
Last edited by sangreal; 01-22-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(01-22-2013, 04:13 PM)
Split bump.

This means it probably won't be auctioned off today.
Peter Bazooka
Banned
(01-22-2013, 04:14 PM)
Poor Obsidian.
ElectricBlanketFire
Too early for flapjacks?
(01-22-2013, 04:15 PM)
Ah gee whiz fellas...
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
So we'll find out the outcome today either way right?
Derrick01
Banned
So what would be best for the game right now considering it's probably done or very close to done and in the bug cleaning phase? Would it be better for them to get the game back from THQ and release it?
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(01-22-2013, 04:16 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

...Maybe.
RoboPlato
I'd be in the dick
I was hoping that stuff like this wouldn't happen to any of the games, especially ones coming in the next few months.
Geoff9920
Obsidian... these guys just don't have good luck do they? Hopefully everything gets settled quickly.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr

So what would be best for the game right now considering it's probably done or very close to done and in the bug cleaning phase? Would it be better for them to get the game back from THQ and release it?

In my opinion yeah, since THQ isn't developing it, so there's no reason that Viacom can't fund and launch the game.
Heavy
What a potential nightmare for one of the best looking games of this year.
Sendou

I guess they could postpone the possible South Park: Stick of Truth sale? I just hope it won't affect the game otherwise.
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
(01-22-2013, 04:17 PM)
If SPS get the license back this mean the project/Obsidian RPG game is dead right?
eravulgaris
This is ridiculous, what a shitty industry.
Samurai-Don
Banned
So does this mean that the game is cancelled because I only just pre-ordered it yesterday.
Heavy
(01-22-2013, 04:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Totobeni

If SPS get the license back this mean the Obsidian game is dead right?

I don't think so.
why would that be?
ComputerMKII
Banned
Just let Patrice Désilets finish 1666 (and Volition finish Saints Row 4) as intended and THQ can die, for all I care.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr

If SPS get the license back this mean the Obsidian game is dead right?

No SPS was funding the game with Obsidian before it went to THQ.

They want this specific game back to publish on their own since THQ is bankrupt and presumably the rights to the game reverted at that point.
Napalm_Frank

If SPS get the license back this mean the project/Obsidian RPG game is dead right?

Nintendo to the rescue!
Simzyy
Can anyone explain what this means for the game? Delayed launch?
Long as the game isn't cancelled I'm happy
duckroll
(01-22-2013, 04:19 PM)

Technically, there shouldn't be a difference for us as consumers, and for Obsidian as a developer. What THQ would want here is the right to include the title in the auction to see if they can get an attractive price for the publishing rights of a game which is pretty much complete and part of a popular mass market franchise. What South Park Studios would want is the right to buy the license back at a base price, and look for another publisher themselves.

Either way, I doubt there is any outcome where the game ends up in actual limbo, unless there is NO outcome.
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
I wonder how the Warhammer 40K license is being handled in all of this?
Derrick01
Banned

Originally Posted by Nirolak

In my opinion yeah, since THQ isn't developing it, so there's no reason that Viacom can't fund and launch the game.

I thought the reason why they went with a real publisher is because they wanted someone with more experience with funding and shipping a game? I wonder if they're confident they can handle the distribution.
Keysersoze

Originally Posted by Samurai-Don

So does this mean that the game is cancelled because I only just pre-ordered it yesterday.

I doubt it the game is far enough along and has been marketed a fair amount that cancelling it would be a really dumb move.
Recall
C'mon THQ you can go out kicking and screaming but dont ruin the South Park game's chance of coming out in a timely manner :(
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho

Originally Posted by Nirolak

No SPS was funding the game with Obsidian before it went to THQ.

They want this specific game back to publish on their own since THQ is bankrupt and presumably the rights to the game reverted at that point.

oh,thanks for clearing that for me...well that's better.
SaintZ
I want to play this game so bad ;____; I hope everything goes smoothly.
duckroll
(01-22-2013, 04:21 PM)

I thought the reason why they went with a real publisher is because they wanted someone with more experience with funding and shipping a game? I wonder if they're confident they can handle the distribution.

They won't distribute it themselves. What they probably want to avoid here is being locked in a deal with a publisher not of their own choosing. For example, if Warner buys THQ wholesale, and if South Park is part of it, there could be a conflict of interest since Warner and Viacom are competitors.
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
(01-22-2013, 04:22 PM)

They won't distribute it themselves. What they probably want to avoid here is being locked in a deal with a publisher not of their own choosing. For example, if Warner buys THQ wholesale, and if South Park is part of it, there could be a conflict of interest since Warner and Viacom are competitors.

Wouldn't be the first time the two have clashed over South Park.
SuperSonic1305
(01-22-2013, 04:23 PM)
Step 1: Collect underpants
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit
GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(01-22-2013, 04:24 PM)
Ohh man, I hope the legal battle is settled quickly. The game looks great.
sangreal

Yeah, this is basically my reading of it. Their position is that they have to consent to any buyer and that if they don't consent they think the buyback clause should kick in.

Well that, and they want the $2.3M THQ owes them
Last edited by sangreal; 01-22-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Shalashaska161
I hope the game doesn't get end up getting delayed. It looks really awesome. Poor Obsidian getting stuck in this mess.
Derrick01
Banned
(01-22-2013, 04:25 PM)

Makes sense in that case. No one wants to lose control over their IP in any way.

Originally Posted by SaintZ

I want to play this game so bad ;____; I hope everything goes smoothly.

Same. It's probably my most wanted game this year.
Mr.Monitor
(01-22-2013, 04:25 PM)

How badly would it hurt them to go digital only? I feel like that would solve most of the distribution issues.
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
(01-22-2013, 04:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Shalashaska161

I hope the game doesn't get end up getting delayed. It looks really awesome. Poor Obsidian getting stuck in this mess.

Sometimes it can take years for a game to emerge from the ashes of a publisher. I recal a game call The Red Star as a prime example.
toastyToast
(01-22-2013, 04:26 PM)
Just when it looked like Obsidian had a success on their hands

Hopefully this lands ok
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(01-22-2013, 04:27 PM)

Well, when they did Rock Band, they just used EA to distribute the games they funded.

You lose a relatively low amount of margin doing something like that and avoid the costs of setting up a distribution arm for one game.
Interfectum
(01-22-2013, 04:27 PM)

Same. It's probably my most wanted game this year.

Same here. Hopefully Viacom can just get it back and figure out how to release it.
Omikaru
(01-22-2013, 04:28 PM)
I hope this doesn't drag on for too long. The game looks great, and Obsidian deserve better.
Diddy Kong
(01-22-2013, 04:29 PM)
Go SPS!
carfo
(01-22-2013, 04:30 PM)
I was really looking forward to playing this game, probably won't happen any time soon now
maabus1999
(01-22-2013, 04:33 PM)
After reading through the two documents briefly, I would say SPS has the advantage here, especially with the right to buyout clause. In short, SPS pays whatever THQ put into the game and gets to go find another publisher.
dionysus
Yaldog
(01-22-2013, 04:34 PM)
Somehow, Obsidian will end up screwed. It always happens. Even when they ship a great game like New Vegas (didn't get the metacritic bonus.)
TheOddOne
(01-22-2013, 04:35 PM)
Damn, the curse over Obsidian rears its ugly head once again.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
Quentyn noted in the other thread that this auction is being held at THQ's offices instead of a court, so we might not hear anything until 3 PM PST tomorrow at the court hearing.
bequietdrive

Originally Posted by ElectricBlanketFire

Ah gee whiz fellas...

Ha, 8/10. I really hope this doesn't delay the game by too much, genuinely really looking forward to it.
Valnen
(01-22-2013, 04:38 PM)
Horrible news, I hope Saints Row 4 doesn't suffer similar delays, or worse, it ceases to exist.
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
(01-22-2013, 04:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Valnen

Horrible news, I hope Saints Row 4 doesn't suffer similar delays, or worse, it ceases to exist.

If anything has a future it is that title since that series has sold millions of copies and was profitable for THQ.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(01-22-2013, 04:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Valnen

Saints Row is a fully owned THQ IP, so there's no one who can object to that.