• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

oconnomiyaki
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:06 AM)
So I turned on my PS3 the other day and noticed that the system had downloaded the beta for God of War: Ascension. I suppose that SCEE thought it was being really helpful, doing all the work for me so that I could have access to this wonderful beta with no effort on my part.

Except:

A) I live in a country with data caps, so downloading a 1.5GB file without my permission is just bloody rude.
B) I don't like God of War, so it's even more annoying.

Fortunately, I have a data cap at the larger end of the scale, so it's just annoying. But base data caps here start at 30GB, so that's a good sizable chunk wasted on something that people didn't ask for.

People moan about the ads on XBL, but I find this far more intrusive and overbearing. Bad decision making is bad.

/rant

And yes, I sent them a complaint.
Gez
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:07 AM)
Gez's Avatar
'Get better internet'

- Carl.
sajj316
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:07 AM)
sajj316's Avatar
You obviously have PS+ ...

Turn it off?
RobertMuldoon
Junior Member
(01-23-2013, 01:07 AM)
RobertMuldoon's Avatar
It would have downloaded when the PS3 was set to do updates, so just change that to like 3am so it downloads that crap during off-peak download time. That's what I do at least.
bigkrev
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:08 AM)
bigkrev's Avatar
Pretty sure when you set up the auto updates, you need to have checked off something to get Betas to auto- download.
Dwayne
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:08 AM)
Dwayne's Avatar

Originally Posted by sajj316

You obviously have PS+ ...

Turn it off?

This + get a better internet plan. I live in NZ and just shrugged when I saw GOW beta installed.
Count Snackula
Banned
(01-23-2013, 01:08 AM)
Change yo settings, son.
Jonnyram
(01-23-2013, 01:08 AM)
Jonnyram's Avatar
Why did you set up auto-downloads if you have a data cap?
Lothars
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:08 AM)
Lothars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

So I turned on my PS3 the other day and noticed that the system had downloaded the beta for God of War: Ascension. I suppose that SCEE thought it was being really helpful, doing all the work for me so that I could have access to this wonderful beta with no effort on my part.

Except:

A) I live in a country with data caps, so downloading a 1.5GB file without my permission is just bloody rude.
B) I don't like God of War, so it's even more annoying.

Fortunately, I have a data cap at the larger end of the scale, so it's just annoying. But base data caps here start at 30GB, so that's a good sizable chunk wasted on something that people didn't ask for.

People moan about the ads on XBL, but I find this far more intrusive and overbearing. Bad decision making is bad.

/rant

And yes, I sent them a complaint.

I am pretty sure you can turn this specific feature off regarding them downloading files like that and only downloading things you were already downloading.
Chuck Norris
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:09 AM)
Chuck Norris's Avatar
Turn off auto update and auto download?
Tyrax
(01-23-2013, 01:09 AM)
Tyrax's Avatar
SCEE's response:
"Your holding it wrong"
atomic moth
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:09 AM)
atomic moth's Avatar
They'll probably just tell you to turn it off.
BomberMouse
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:09 AM)
BomberMouse's Avatar
1.- Get better internet
2.- You can turn it off
3.- Get better internet FFS
JWong
Banned
(01-23-2013, 01:09 AM)
JWong's Avatar
Bandwidth caps are to blame, not anyone else.
Jasper Avenue
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:09 AM)
Jasper Avenue's Avatar
I like that it downloaded automatically.
Hagi
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:10 AM)
Hagi's Avatar
nhlducks35
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:10 AM)
nhlducks35's Avatar
30GB monthly?

Fuck, I go through that in a week, just on my computer, nevermind the rest of my family or consoles
MrDaravon
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:10 AM)
MrDaravon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

So I turned on my PS3 the other day and noticed that the system had downloaded the beta for God of War: Ascension. I suppose that SCEE thought it was being really helpful, doing all the work for me so that I could have access to this wonderful beta with no effort on my part.

Except:

A) I live in a country with data caps, so downloading a 1.5GB file without my permission is just bloody rude.
B) I don't like God of War, so it's even more annoying.

Fortunately, I have a data cap at the larger end of the scale, so it's just annoying. But base data caps here start at 30GB, so that's a good sizable chunk wasted on something that people didn't ask for.

People moan about the ads on XBL, but I find this far more intrusive and overbearing. Bad decision making is bad.

/rant

And yes, I sent them a complaint.

Uh isn't auto-download an optional feature that you can turn off?
oconnomiyaki
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Jonnyram

Why did you set up auto-downloads if you have a data cap?

It must be on by default. I haven't set anything up.
Opie666
Banned
(01-23-2013, 01:10 AM)
as everyone else said... Turn off auto download. It isnt Scee fault if you let auto-dl on :)
H3XAntiStyle
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:11 AM)
H3XAntiStyle's Avatar
He said it in a way that suggests that he CAN'T get better internet, guys. That's obviously not an option.
Soulflarz
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:12 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar
30 a month?
I went through 160 on my ps3 when i flipped my drive yesterday! Took 20 hr but thatd take 5 months at your cap!
Hazelhurst
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:12 AM)
Hazelhurst's Avatar
This feature is on by default. Just turn it off.

This feature is great for those without a data limit. All game and system updates are downloaded in the middle of the night. 4am for me.
test_account
XP-39C˛
(01-23-2013, 01:12 AM)
test_account's Avatar
Yeah, these things can be turned off. One can argue that these things shouldnt be on by default, but one can also argue that the user has a responisbility to check what product/service that he/she has payed for and what it does. Depends on how one sees it.

It does suck when one doesnt notice it though. Same thing happened to me with Music Unlimited, i didnt check or knew that it was set to auto-renew, so i had to pay for one month extra that i didnt plan on.
Last edited by test_account; 01-23-2013 at 01:15 AM.
atomic moth
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:12 AM)
atomic moth's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

It must be on by default. I haven't set anything up.

It asks you if you want to uncheck it during PS+ setup.

I'm not saying it's your fault, but it isn't Sony's.
The_Monk
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:14 AM)
The_Monk's Avatar

Originally Posted by atomic moth

It asks you if you want to uncheck it during PS+ setup.

I'm not saying it's your fault, but it isn't Sony's.

This. It's so easy to notice it. They asked me if I wanted to check that option or not.
Tyrax
(01-23-2013, 01:14 AM)
Tyrax's Avatar

Originally Posted by atomic moth

It asks you if you want to uncheck it during PS+ setup.

I'm not saying it's your fault, but it isn't Sony's.

I'm not saying it's your fault, but I am heavily inferring that it's your fault.
oconnomiyaki
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:15 AM)

Originally Posted by H3XAntiStyle

He said it in a way that suggests that he CAN'T get better internet, guys. That's obviously not an option.

It's not that. It's just a silly answer to say "Spend more money."

If it's an option to turn it off, it's obviously not salient. It's like a lot of things with the PS3 UI: they're obfuscated. I had to get instructions from GAF before just to find out when my PS+ was set to expire.

I quite like the fact that it downloads patches and whatnot, seeing as you kind of have to have them anyway. But a beta isn't a patch, and it's just bloody rude to thrust upon me something like that without asking.

At least with the bloody SingStar thing you still had to manually download it if you were interested.
Goldrusher
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:16 AM)
Goldrusher's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

And yes, I sent them a complaint.

Your ISP, I hope?

Because it makes no sense to complain to Sony after YOU agreed to let your PS3 download stuff in the background, fully aware it would download big demos and betas.
Respawn
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:16 AM)
Respawn's Avatar
Thread backfire son. Blame Sony when its obviously your issue to deal with.
EmperorLawlight
Banned
(01-23-2013, 01:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Donutta

It must be on by default. I haven't set anything up.

It's actually off by default. So, user error in this case.
cjkeats
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:16 AM)
cjkeats's Avatar
I feel you, I have to live with 60GB cap. Gotta be careful with PS+.
atomic moth
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:17 AM)
atomic moth's Avatar
Your dog must have checked the box. Blame him.
Eusis
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:17 AM)
Eusis's Avatar
Yeah, go to your PS+ options and disable automatically downloading software. I don't have that enabled so I haven't had surprises like that, just patches to games I may've only rented or won't play for quite awhile.

Given the sizes of some patches though maybe you need to disable that too and keep it to only save backups?
zeopower6
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:17 AM)
zeopower6's Avatar
I hate data caps so much. I can't use my PS+ to the fullest because of my AT&T cap. :(
Jburton
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:18 AM)
Jburton's Avatar

Originally Posted by Goldrusher

Your ISP, I hope?

Because it makes no sense to complain to Sony after YOU agreed to let your PS3 download stuff in the background, fully aware it would download big demos and betas.


This.
oconnomiyaki
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Eusis

Yeah, go to your PS+ options and disable automatically downloading software. I don't have that enabled so I haven't had surprises like that, just patches to games I may've only rented or won't play for quite awhile.

Given the sizes of some patches though maybe you need to disable that too and keep it to only save backups?

See, this is the thing (and why I don't accept the criticism here): why should I be forced to disable a useful feature because they have decided to shoehorn everything in that way? A patch is something that I want. A beta to an overrated series that outstayed its welcome last generation isn't.

If auto-downloads means everything or nothing, it's a design fault by Sony and has nothing to do with my ISP.
Jburton
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:20 AM)
Jburton's Avatar

Originally Posted by EmperorLawlight

It's actually off by default. So, user error in this case.

Oh snap, sorry OP seems you should have sent that complaint to yourself.


Love thread backfires.
Lasthope106
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:20 AM)
Lasthope106's Avatar
Well since you have a PS triple you must have at least two jobs right, so you can afford this. What are you complaining about?
03sho
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:21 AM)
03sho's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

It must be on by default. I haven't set anything up.

Nope, I got plus about a week ago.

Turned off on defailt
Eusis
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:21 AM)
Eusis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

See, this is the thing (and why I don't accept the criticism here): why should I be forced to disable a useful feature because they have decided to shoehorn everything in that way? A patch is something that I want. A beta to an overrated series that outstayed its welcome last generation isn't.

If auto-downloads means everything or nothing, it's a design fault by Sony and has nothing to do with my ISP.

Oh no, I mean you can tweak it. If you just have it to set to automatically push relevant software then yeah, it's going to throw crap like GoW on your just because it's a + freebie.

Patches are only because games like Heavy Rain and GT5 exist, otherwise that'd be a non-issue.

EDIT: To adjust go to System Settings, + Automatic Update, select the time you want, THEN check/uncheck the boxes for stuff you want. Here it's Recommended Videos/Games that was the offender, so just turn that off. Maybe you turned that bit on thinking it wouldn't be harmful or to go for everything, but obviously that's not the case.
Last edited by Eusis; 01-23-2013 at 01:24 AM.
test_account
XP-39C˛
(01-23-2013, 01:21 AM)
test_account's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

It's not that. It's just a silly answer to say "Spend more money."

If it's an option to turn it off, it's obviously not salient. It's like a lot of things with the PS3 UI: they're obfuscated. I had to get instructions from GAF before just to find out when my PS+ was set to expire.

I quite like the fact that it downloads patches and whatnot, seeing as you kind of have to have them anyway. But a beta isn't a patch, and it's just bloody rude to thrust upon me something like that without asking.

At least with the bloody SingStar thing you still had to manually download it if you were interested.

You select it where you set up the PS+ stuff. It is under Settings -> System Settings -> Automatic Update. Set it to "on", then you get the option to set time, and the finally what you want it to auto update. Remove "Download recommended games and videos" from that list (i think that is the correct option for doing this at least).


Originally Posted by Donutta

See, this is the thing (and why I don't accept the criticism here): why should I be forced to disable a useful feature because they have decided to shoehorn everything in that way? A patch is something that I want. A beta to an overrated series that outstayed its welcome last generation isn't.

If auto-downloads means everything or nothing, it's a design fault by Sony and has nothing to do with my ISP.

You have 3 options to what you want to auto download. The 3 options are:

- Download game patches
- Download the latest system software
- Download recommended games and videos
Last edited by test_account; 01-23-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Jburton
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:22 AM)
Jburton's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

See, this is the thing (and why I don't accept the criticism here): why should I be forced to disable a useful feature because they have decided to shoehorn everything in that way? A patch is something that I want. A beta to an overrated series that outstayed its welcome last generation isn't.

If auto-downloads means everything or nothing, it's a design fault by Sony and has nothing to do with my ISP.


It's the way it works, it's no design fault ....... everyone else here seems to have got it.

Also God of War series so far has been excellent.
oconnomiyaki
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:23 AM)

Originally Posted by 03sho

Nope, I got plus about a week ago.

Turned off on defailt

There's some confusion here: I thought that there was a separate checkbox for betas. It appears there isn't and that it all gets brought down via auto-downloads. Thus, my complaint still stands: why should I be required to turn off a useful feature just because SCEE feels it's a great way to promote their shitty first-party titles?

EDIT:

Originally Posted by test_account

You select it where you set up the PS+ stuff. It is under Settings -> System Settings -> Automatic Update. Set it to "on", then you get the option to set time, and the finally what you want it to auto update. Remove "Download recommended games and videos" from that list (i think that is the correct option for doing this at least).



You have 3 options to what you want to auto download. The 3 options are:

- Download game patches
- Download the latest system software
- Download recommended games and videos

So then it is a separate option. It certainly wasn't there when I signed up for PS+ eons ago.
krae_man
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:23 AM)
krae_man's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

See, this is the thing (and why I don't accept the criticism here): why should I be forced to disable a useful feature because they have decided to shoehorn everything in that way? A patch is something that I want. A beta to an overrated series that outstayed its welcome last generation isn't.

If auto-downloads means everything or nothing, it's a design fault by Sony and has nothing to do with my ISP.

You do realize that patches can be 1.5gb too right? With a 30gb data cap you shouldn't be autodownloading anything. You need to manage and track your data usage like a mofo.
antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias
(01-23-2013, 01:24 AM)
antitrop's Avatar
I don't have a cap, but I can respect those who do.

I would be pretty pissed off in your case. 30GB ain't shit, I use that in 1-2 days. :(

Goldrusher
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:24 AM)
Goldrusher's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

If auto-downloads means everything or nothing, it's a design fault by Sony

Nope...

Automatic Update
This feature is exclusively for use by PlayStation®Plus members.

When this setting is [On], the PS3™ system will automatically start at the specified time, perform the specified operations, and then turn off.

Off Set to not use the automatic update feature
On Set to use the automatic update feature
You can select automatic updating operations for the following items.
• Download game patches
• Download the latest system software
• Download recommended games and videos
• Sync trophy information with the server

 
Prezhulio
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:24 AM)
Prezhulio's Avatar
Nvm
Kazuma Kiryu
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:24 AM)
Kazuma Kiryu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

So I turned on my PS3 the other day and noticed that the system had downloaded the beta for God of War: Ascension. I suppose that SCEE thought it was being really helpful, doing all the work for me so that I could have access to this wonderful beta with no effort on my part.

Except:

A) I live in a country with data caps, so downloading a 1.5GB file without my permission is just bloody rude.
B) I don't like God of War, so it's even more annoying.

Fortunately, I have a data cap at the larger end of the scale, so it's just annoying. But base data caps here start at 30GB, so that's a good sizable chunk wasted on something that people didn't ask for.

People moan about the ads on XBL, but I find this far more intrusive and overbearing. Bad decision making is bad.

/rant

And yes, I sent them a complaint.

isn't most of it turned off by default? there's only one item that isn't (can't remember what it is now).
SnowHawk
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:25 AM)
SnowHawk's Avatar
There's multiple options you can check. Just uncheck the option for downloading demos.

It's not sony's fault for user error.

Thread Tools