we always talk SNES around here, i couldn't find a proper genny tribute thread, so here it is! tell your stories, talk about your favorite games, etc.
JP October 29, 1988
NA August 14, 1989
PAL November 30, 1990
I was the weird kid on the block in the late 80's with a Master System, which was great but the schoolyard battles of say Ghost House vs Castlevania were obviously not in my favor. come spring of '89 though, that all changed! A couple friends a few houses down frantically called me over to see Altered Beast, Thunder Force 2, Space Harrier 2 & i wanna say Last Battle? our 8-bit systems were home to many distant ports from the vastly superior arcade offerings, and this was one of the first times I felt I saw that gap close a bit - Tekken 3 would do it years later, and of course the Dreamcasts' Soul Calibur was the one to finish the cycle for me (a fitting end to both closing said gap & sega's hardware finale, i thought).
A year later, we'd mostly play Moonwalker until I finally got my own system with Phantasy Star 2, my first real JRPG (i still have a polaroid shot of the ending!). To this day, I've hadsome of my best co-op experiences on it, from ToeJam & Earl, Streets of Rage 1/2, Bonanza Bros and so many others - i managed to wear out several pads & an arcade stick, and i don't drop those things. Good times.
Not to indulge the aforementioned schoolyard battles too much here, but while SNES is (rightfully) cheered on here for many classics, the Genesis had more than its fair share of fantastic arcade action, JRPG, SHMUPS and many others - if you only play the many rehashed collections Sega puts out now, you'd really miss out.
On that note: what were some of your lesser-known favorites? Mine were:
- Valis 3
- Rolling Thunder 2 (never could find 3!) oh yeah MERCs too
- Gunstar Heroes is kind've a given
- General Chaos
- MUSHA (Gaires was good there too)
- Strider was like the best thing ever
- Castle/World of Illusion - also, the superior Aladdin (i remember Quackshot being fun too)
- Zombies ate my Neighbors (though this is cheating for me, as i had it on SNES)
- El Viento
- Thunder Force III + Lightening Force
- Battle Mania Daiginjō/Trouble Shooter 2
- Alisia Dragoon
- Mega Turrican
- Punisher (Spider-Man was fun but Sega-CD had definitive version!)
- Mutant League Football
- The Haunting
- Alien Storm, i'm like the only guy who liked this better than Golden Axe
- Micro Machines (Super Off Road too!)
There's a ton of good info at http://www.sega-16.com/
The cover project - Great place to find official and custom box art to use for Universal Game Cases.
Hardcore Gaming 101 - Helpful if you want to read up on well known, obscure, or new series that you may have never heard of.
finally: anyone thinking of getting a Genesis :
Retro GAF Unite!
If you're really into getting the good sound, you want the one actually labelled "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" (it wasn't on all the Genesis 1s), and lacking copyright protection screen at the beginning. The Walkman-style headphone jack gives it great bass. Pop in SoR2.
- Atari 2600 (35th Anniversary)
- The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!
- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Appreciation Thread of HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS™
- Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread
- Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread
- The NES / Famicom Appreciation Thread: Now you're playing with power!
- SNES Game Collecting
- The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.
- The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.
- PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?
- PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons
- PS2 Appreciation & Celebration Thread, long live the King!
- Xbox: A Nostalgia Thread
- The MSX Nostalgia thread – A return to the cradle of Solid Snake
- Atari Jaguar must haves
- GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread
- Neo Geo Pocket Color - System history, my thoughts on this pretty cool system
- WonderSwan Club
much love to megashock5 for the banner!