• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here actually have a Segazord/Tower of Power?

Bonus points if they're connected to this.

SegaPowerStrip.jpg

IrishNinja

yeah, i still wish TRU near me as a kid would've had Snatcher. and i missed Popful Mail right before it shot up, but glad i got Snatcher at least...Popful, Space Adventure Cobra and Flying Squadron Keio are staying as burns on my shelf cause those prices can go kick rocks

I just remembered an old VHS that I got in a magazine, around the time the 32X went out. It's a demo of games on the Megadrive, the Mega CD, and the 32X. I remember watching this a lot when I was a child, especially since I didn't even had a Megadrive at the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YdSyuHzn1w (not my video)

welp, i'm watching this now

I found Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle in a local shop. I hope it's good!

Anybody have some impressions?

okay so bare with me televators
as the weird SMS kid on the playground i had to treat Alex Kidd like he was a worthy rival to Mario during these dark days, where i'd often defend High Tech World/etc
but popular consensus is that Miracle World was pretty much the peak, as a neat/challenging as balls at times platformer with both vertical & horizontal levels and all kinds of weirdness

since Lost Stars, High Tech, Shinobi World etc are such vastly different games from each other, Enchanted is literally the only real sequel to Miracle. As a fan of the latter & for it being such an early title, i loved it at the time - it pretty much wraps up the Alex Kidd mythos, as it were, with a lotta fun stuff (vehicles, etc) crossing over, but letting you keep the stuff you get in shops rather than just instantly use it. most of what people rag on it for is the way said shops work - you have to win paper/rock/sisscors and pay for stuff too - but it's still cool, and packed with secret areas.

TL;DR i loved it in the early 90s cause of my weird background with the character but most people think it's booty buttcheeks. hopefully you got it on the cheap

How are we defining that? If it's just a model 1 Genesis, a model 1 Sega Cd, and a 32X, then yes, I have one (all launch units, actually).

same!
still no karaoke/dev units to attach though

I have the version of it without the cancerous mushroom shaped tumor on the top.

this fuckin' guy right here

Bonus points if they're connected to this.

i do, but only cause bishopcruz put his in the living room!

D.Lo

as the weird SMS kid on the playground i had to treat Alex Kidd like he was a worthy rival to Mario during these dark days, where i'd often defend High Tech World/etc
but popular consensus is that Miracle World was pretty much the peak, as a neat/challenging as balls at times platformer with both vertical & horizontal levels and all kinds of weirdness

since Lost Stars, High Tech, Shinobi World etc are such vastly different games from each other, Enchanted is literally the only real sequel to Miracle. As a fan of the latter & for it being such an early title, i loved it at the time - it pretty much wraps up the Alex Kidd mythos, as it were, with a lotta fun stuff (vehicles, etc) crossing over, but letting you keep the stuff you get in shops rather than just instantly use it. most of what people rag on it for is the way said shops work - you have to win paper/rock/sisscors and pay for stuff too - but it's still cool, and packed with secret areas.

TL;DR i loved it in the early 90s cause of my weird background with the character but most people think it's booty buttcheeks.
I think it's quite good for 1988. It's only two years after the original, it just happened to be on a new system (not so surprising when Sega released six systems between 1983 and 1990 lol).

All the other AK games (except Lost Stars) are basically spin-offs.

That was a period when Sega games really suffered from their western box art IMO. Enchanted Castle's US/PAL cover is just so bad, it put me off the game for years.

IrishNinja

I just remembered an old VHS that I got in a magazine, around the time the 32X went out. It's a demo of games on the Megadrive, the Mega CD, and the 32X. I remember watching this a lot when I was a child, especially since I didn't even had a Megadrive at the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YdSyuHzn1w (not my video)

wanted to add to this: that Shadow of Atlantis @ 12:30 looks like it would've been interesting

I think it's quite good for 1988. It's only two years after the original, it just happened to be on a new system (not so surprising when Sega released six systems between 1983 and 1990 lol).

All the other AK games (except Lost Stars) are basically spin-offs.

That was a period when Sega games really suffered from their western box art IMO. Enchanted Castle's US/PAL cover is just so bad, it put me off the game for years.

god, so weird that it was only 2 years, you know? felt like 5 as a kid. and i get you, Suikoden syndrome has kept me from many a great game sadly (looking at so much in the US turbo library)

MikeMyers

okay so bare with me televators
as the weird SMS kid on the playground i had to treat Alex Kidd like he was a worthy rival to Mario during these dark days,
It's funny reading this because when I was a kid in the UK Master System was everywhere and I didn't even know what a NES was until years later.

My great grandma had a Master System!

IrishNinja

yeah, ya'll on that side of the pond get the short end of the stick sometimes but it was literally night & day with SMS over here...i knew two other guys that had em, and boy did we trade games a lot.

no joke, as a kid if idve gone into any rental joint (in the pre-blockbuster days, where they were everywhere) and seen a single master system title for rent i may've cried. shit was dire.

D.Lo

The other problem was that Alex Kidd was very specifically designed to be a Mario clone (check the Japanese box arts of both, it's truly ridiculous), and were just not in the same league. By the time Enchanted Castle made it to the west, Mario World was out in Japan and it's truly on another level.

I think MW and EC are pretty good '3rd party platformer' level.

IrishNinja

....wow, i somehow never saw that Mark III cover. can't blame them for wanting in on that tremendous marketshare but that's..blatant even by 80s standards, haha

Teknoman

I found Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle in a local shop. I hope it's good!

Anybody have some impressions?

Looking at some videos, it seems like it might be one that's hit or miss...Music doesn't seem all that, so that's one downside for me, especially since its made by Sega. What Sega game doesn't have good music :/

The master system shinobi world looks / sounds pretty good though. He could have been a cool character too, a monkey king martial arts focused world with sega craziness infused.

IrishNinja

man, i had zero chance at getting Shinobi World stateside...SMS was so dead in the water nowhere i knew out here carried games a year or more when that thing would've dropped, i wanna say. finally got a good price on a UK copy years back!

Laws00

saw my favorite instagramer post a video of a game. Researched it a little bit. BOUGHT!

Cost me less then 10 bucks with a case and manual lol

Funny enough i didnt know it was on the Taito Legends 2 compilation that I have

47583_front.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
saw my favorite instagramer post a video of a game. Researched it a little bit. BOUGHT!

Cost me less then 10 bucks with a case and manual lol

Funny enough i didnt know it was on the Taito Legends 2 compilation that I have

47583_front.jpg

How did you get this so cheap?

IrishNinja

probably, but honestly? me & Mzo were talking a while back about how very many great calls Diehard Gamefan had - seriously, a ton of niche titles no one checked for in the day, but are stupid-expensive on the Saturn/etc? they prolly got way more love in DG than anywhere else, it's crazy how good some of their taste was

Teknoman

Yeah I definitely need to check out some older mags aside from Nintendo Power. Cant really search youtube either, because the same stuff comes up.

AmyS

So here's the actual article that cover was for.

p.s.
For those that don't know, the game network they're talking about was tried in Japan with the Mega Modem (would have been called TeleGenesis Modem in the U.S./NA) and was roughly 4-5 years before the Sega Channel existed.

p.s. #2. You guys think 56K dial-up internet was slow? The 1200 Baud modem for MegaModem/TeleGenesis would make 56K seem like high-speed broadband in comparison!

p.s. #2. You guys think 56K dial-up internet was slow? The 1200 Baud modem for MegaModem/TeleGenesis would make 56K seem like high-speed broadband in comparison!

Going from 9600 to 14.4 was big, but 14.4 to 56k? Yeah that was high speed back then.

There is a stark difference in articles that were written back then, compared to the hyperbole click-bait, living in a vacuum crap, that is written today. Solid points backed up with facts. A simple standard that no longer exists today.

Celine

Still, its the only console add-on from that era that had any real success (and has a legacy to back that up)
PCE CD has a stronger legacy to back up thanks to the quality of the software release.
Some of the better games on PCE were exclusive to the CD media, the same could not be said about Mega Drive/Mega CD combo IMO.
That was likely due to PCE CD having several times bigger install base than Mega CD in Japan thus japanese developers focused more on the former and in those days it was the japanese developers who created the more interesting games on the early CD consoles.

Bonus chart I did some time ago:

For other charts about Sega/Nintendo:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1059657

EDIT:
There were memory cards for the N64? This is ridiculous for a cartridge console. Let's save 10c, yay!
Nintendo prices were more like $2-$4.
On a game like Turok, the saving would be more than $2 million.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
IGN just did a top 100 games of all time, and while the list isnt completely terrible, it has way too many Hollywood-style games and "games as art"-stuff on it and not a single game from a Sega-console! Completely unexplainable imo.

Timu

IGN just did a top 100 games of all time, and while the list isnt completely terrible, it has way too many Hollywood-style games and "games as art"-stuff on it and not a single game from a Sega-console! Completely unexplainable imo.
No Sonic games or Streets of Rage 2??? Blasphemy!!!

Top Bottom