• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Bumhead

Banned
I love - LOVE - when you pick up an old game and it still has the booklets in showing you what games are available.

Just had so much fun thumbing through the 1992-93 EA showcase booklet. Not quite sure on F22 Interceptor's "realistic" simulation experience though.

IrishNinja

passed on OutRun for now (kinda broke) but hoping to find it later, shouldn't be too hard hopefully

I loved this game as a kid, and still hold onto the vain hope that the Sega Channel exclusive levels will someday find their way to the internet

There was 3 exclusive levels, though, as Jake said, 2 showed up in the Game Gear version, and i think one showed up in a PC port or something like that. It was not a fully unique game, just some cut content.

Also, Hydrocity is pretty gosh darn good too.

damn, first ive heard of these! never played Garfield in the day but it is a good looking game...was trying that out with The Tick a while back, phew i love that license but it's not a good game

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Guys, reminder to please vote for your favourite 16-bit OSTs in this thread for Best OSTs of Gen 4:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239268
Unlike in the "best games of Gen 4" thread you don't even have to write a comment, just list your favourite soundtracks!

The poor Genesis got sadly underrepresented in the Best Games of Gen 4 thread, and there's very little participation in this one so far, it'd be cool if we got more people voting.

Voting expires July 31st, let's do this :)

Timu

Guys, reminder to please vote for your favourite 16-bit OSTs in this thread for Best OSTs of Gen 4:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239268
Unlike in the "best games of Gen 4" thread you don't even have to write a comment, just list your favourite soundtracks!

The poor Genesis got sadly underrepresented in the Best Games of Gen 4 thread, and there's very little participation in this one so far, it'd be cool if we got more people voting.

Voting expires July 31st, let's do this :)
I totally forgot about this!!! Thanks for the reminder!!!

gwailo

Banned
passed on OutRun for now (kinda broke) but hoping to find it later, shouldn't be too hard hopefully

The US version was weirdly expensive ($20-30 for loose cart in poor condition) when I was looking for it not too long ago. I ended up getting the Japanese one instead.

BTails

HELL YEAH.

WSkGJQF.jpg

Didn't even have to resort to changing the difficulty to Easy!

You guys were right, the final boss was pretty disappointing. No 1 CC for me, but after a couple attempts at the final level, I beat it. Probably the first Shmup I've ever completed!

Bring on August.

Timu

HELL YEAH.

WSkGJQF.jpg

You guys were right, the final boss was pretty disappointing. No 1 CC for me, but after a couple attempts at the final level, I beat it. Probably the first Shmup I've ever completed!

Bring on August.
Congrats dude!!!

Teknoman

HELL YEAH.

WSkGJQF.jpg

Bring on August.

There ya go!

Also Outrun needs to be a game of the month at some point.

HELL YEAH.

WSkGJQF.jpg

Bring on August.
Bravo. I hope I have time before the end of the month.

Bumhead

Banned
Outrun seems mega expensive to pick up. It's high on my list though might need to make an exception.

I've heard bad things about Turbo Outrun. Is that to be avoided?

Also when does the new game pick go up? Seems like fun and want to give it a shot!

Last Chance to vote.

35d5c7D.png

Crue Ball

ATTENTION HEADBANGERS! The Ultimate Heavy Metal Pinball Concert is about to begin! You just got front row tickets to a no-holds barred, totally rockin' Metalfest. It's up to you to blast the anti-rock forces and crank up the volume to the max. Crue Ball gives you a backstage pass to the ultimate pinball tour. Blistering soundtrack features three Motley Crue hits! Nine rippin' volume levels (that's play levels, dudes)! Special appearance by Motley Crue's Alister Fiend! Loads of skill shots and nasty enemies!

Devilish

Anyone can break through a couple of brick walls, right? Well, breaking through barriers is only a small part of this mission. Tons of beasts, bodies, blockades, and other bad seed await you as you travel through a series of eight daring and challenging stages.
Dodge through graveyards and waterfalls, slide through a world of ice, and with a little luck, you'll reach the Evil Temple, where you'll come face to face with your most evil nemesis, Gamma.
But Gamma doesn't even expect you to make it to the end, because he has placed plenty of his best beasts and boobie-traps on each level to aid in your demise. And at the end of each level, you must battle one of Gamma's most devoted creatures of darkness before you can move on to the next challenge.
But don't worry. We've equipped you with our specialized dual-paddle system. And there are four different paddle formations to give you maximum control of the Power Orb.

Echo: Tides of Time

Ecco is older, stronger and engulfed by dangers! The evil Vortex has shattered the mystical Asterite. Ecco and Trellia, a beautiful dolphin of the future, cross 100 million years of time to save the dolphins and all life on Earth! Ecco morphs! Charge a metasphere to become a shark with all its fighting power! Change into a seagull and fly! Safely swim past dangers as a jellyfish! Over 40 levels of spectacular aquatic adventure, with password save. Five levels of challenging 3-D travel, through the vast waters of the open ocean!

Syndicate

Mission Briefing: Sources indicate that a rival syndicate has developed a dangerous new computer program and our research boys want it. In the year 2096, the world is divided into regions controlled by a handful of massive corporations, struggling for dominance. Prepare yourself for the ultimate corporate takeover!

McDonald's Treasureland Adventure

Based on the McDonald's fast food franchise and four of its corporate mascots from McDonaldland (Ronald McDonald, Hamburglar, Grimace, and Birdie the Early Bird), the game follows the adventures of Ronald McDonald in an attempt to find four pieces of a treasure map, and ultimately, the treasure to which it leads.

I know some people do not like Price Charting. If thats the overall consensus then I'll remove it. I figure at a quick glance we can get an idea on pricing.

What's wrong with Ecco 2? I think it's really fun! lovely graphics and music too.

Ecco 1 was an ordeal for me. I mean, unless Ecco 2 improved some of the fundamentals of the game, much as a dug Ecco's music and its sense of style, it was frustrating to actually play. It has lots of little nuisances that added up

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
HELL YEAH.

WSkGJQF.jpg

Bring on August.

Congrats! I need to get back to this.

gwailo

Banned
Been playing MKII Unlimited, a pretty cool hack that adds makes the hidden and boss characters available, adds MK1 backgrounds and music, a run button, combo system and more. Definitely worth checking out if you like the original release.

2016-07-15%2017.48.53_zps50jzpt6p.jpg

Conezays

Been busy with work lately and haven't had much time to enjoy my Sega stuff. Going to dive headfirst into some more Genesis stuff now in August though :) Is the August game of the month decided yet?

Edit: Sounds like Ecco; I'm down to play whatever the winner is.

FahZ3gz.png

kO4bNAX.png
dh5PFeL.png

FhIRQPU.png

cmgB6vp.png

March Game of the Month: The Revenge of Shinobi
April Game of the Month: Eswat
May Game of the Month: Alien Storm
June Game of the Month: Quackshot
August Game of the Month: Bio Hazzard Battle

One month cool down on the following games

*Crue Ball
*Devilish
*Syndicate
*Echo: Tides of time

Sega Genesis Club Guidelines

The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed Genesis/Megadrive title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Selection Process (see above)
The first week of each month, the selection process for the following
month commences. The first five games suggested that have not
yet been played, and were not nominated the month before will be
added to the list and will be voted on. So be sure to come in early to
nominate your favorites!

On the 7th day of the month, or when we reach five nominations (whichever comes
first) the nominations are tallied in the following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The voting list will be shuffled for each member voting.
Voting will take place until the 20th day of the month, at which point the poll will
close and the votes will be tallied.
The winner will be announced as soon as the tally is counted so that members
will have time to pick up the winning game.

HELL YEAH.

WSkGJQF.jpg

Bring on August.

congrats BTails =)

I'm hyped for some McDonald's Treasure Land Adventures.

Also, this should be a nice, easy victory for most everyone in the thread. Game is fun, but it isn't hard.

Morfeo

Nice! Finally the game i nominated won. Definitely going to play and beat this!

For next month, I once again want to try nominate Desert Strike.

Timu

I played McDonald's Treasure Land Adventures back when it came out but didn't beat it.

Maybe I could this time.

Bumhead

Banned
Nice! Finally the game i nominated won. Definitely going to play and beat this!

For next month, I once again want to try nominate Desert Strike.

I just picked up Desert Strike today. I approve.

There's 1 PAL copy of this McDonalds game on eBay and it's £90 😂

Morfeo

I just picked up Desert Strike today. I approve.

There's 1 PAL copy of this McDonalds game on eBay and it's £90 😂

For real? I own the PAL-one, should definitely sell it then since it doesnt work in 60hz :/

Anyways, I was going to play Mcdonalds Treasure Land Adventures today, but ended up trying to fix a Sega Arcade Power Stick 2. I managed to get the stick working, but its still pretty slow. Any tips on things to do to make it more responsible? Its this stick btw: http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Power_Stick_6B

Shaneus

So the nominations haven't started yet, have they?

Sub-Terrania

Fake edit: I see Desert Strike is already up. Well yeah, I'll put the above in for the polls, then :)

Teknoman

I kind of feel bad for wanting to nominate Streets of Rage 1 or 2, or Golden Axe 2 if only because any would probably win.

So I nominate Two Crude Dudes.

I kind of feel bad for wanting to nominate Streets of Rage 1 or 2, or Golden Axe 2 if only because any would probably win.

So I nominate Two Crude Dudes.

that sounds interesting, never heard of it.

i want to nominate a game but i'll wait as there may be others like Two Crude Dudes that's interesting.

Top Bottom