• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Mango Positive
(01-23-2013, 12:21 PM)
Mango Positive's Avatar

Originally Posted by nofi

OK, that's beautiful. Way too elegant for the Walmart masses though.
D4Danger
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:22 PM)
D4Danger's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cartman86

Wait so is the X-Surface a local streaming device at launch? Story says it will be able to access the games, music and video hubs of the new Xbox, but will not have any apps of its own...rather be entirely focused on playing full console-quality games. Which means it's essentially a WiiU tablet (but probably better and more expensive). Which to me it seems dumb to not have it be some sort of Windows 8 tablet. If it's not going to have its own apps spending a bunch of money on a dumb terminal seems like a waste. I'm stupid so I would get it, but including it from the get go or making it more feature rich seem important for everyone else.

It's whatever you want it to be because it's imaginary.
P90
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:22 PM)
P90's Avatar

Originally Posted by 9thwonder

http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...s-declassified



Believe it or this is actually one of Vita's best selling games and top selling vita bundle. I imagine that Microsoft would be able to get a CoD that doesn't suck.

It wasn't about CoD at all. It was a wonderful BF value. People like deals on BF and make impulse buys.

Back OT, so is this a patently false rumor to stir the internet pot?
famousmortimer
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:23 PM)
famousmortimer's Avatar

Originally Posted by famousmortimer

Guys. GUYS!

It's false. It's a troll.


GUYS!



https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/st...32819582296064

For a new page, and my final attempt at sanity.
Coolwhip
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:24 PM)
Coolwhip's Avatar
"iPad" works because most stuff works cross iPads. Not on xbox' so this would be confusing.
9thwonder
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:25 PM)
9thwonder's Avatar

Originally Posted by P90

It wasn't about CoD at all. It was a wonderful BF value. People like deals on BF and make impulse buys.

Back OT, so is this false rumor to stir the internet pot?

The system was 250$ with a memory card and a game, aren't all vita bundles like that (regardless of black Friday)? I think the only one who gave it a discount was best buy.

Originally Posted by Coolwhip

"iPad" works because most stuff works cross iPads. Not on xbox' so this would be confusing.

When did Microsoft confirm that nextbox won't be backwards compatible?
Last edited by 9thwonder; 01-23-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Smellycat
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:26 PM)
Smellycat's Avatar
People actually think it will be called Xbox 720?? That makes no sense
GavinGT
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:26 PM)
GavinGT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Coolwhip

"iPad" works because most stuff works cross iPads. Not on xbox' so this would be confusing.

They're increasingly using "Xbox" to denote all of their entertainment offerings.
kinggroin
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:26 PM)
kinggroin's Avatar
Xbox is great...if they can kill the 360 off at the same time.

Its always been positioned as the do-everything platform; not just gaming. So the wildcard "X" holds true.
EscoBlades
(01-23-2013, 12:26 PM)
EscoBlades's Avatar

Originally Posted by famousmortimer

For a new page, and my final attempt at sanity.

I imagine this to be you right about now
famousmortimer
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:27 PM)
famousmortimer's Avatar

Originally Posted by 9thwonder

The system was 250$ with a memory card and a game, aren't all vita bundles like that (regardless of black Friday)? I think the only one who gave it a discount was best buy.

The black friday deal was $199 with a game and a memory card and 3 months of PS+ which just had unveiled 4 wonderful vita games in the collection.
surly
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:27 PM)
surly's Avatar

Originally Posted by GavinGT

I don't doubt they're doing something like that, but there's no way in hell they'd position it against Vita and 3DS.

I'm sure they wouldn't want to position it against the Vita. They want it to be a success after all. But seriously, I'm sure that they recognise that the market for tablets is growing, while the market for dedicated handheld gaming devices with 30+ games is shrinking.
famousmortimer
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:28 PM)
famousmortimer's Avatar

Originally Posted by EscoBlades

I imagine this to be you right about now

Exactly.
GavinGT
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:28 PM)
GavinGT's Avatar

Originally Posted by surly

I'm sure they wouldn't want to position it against the Vita. They want it to be a success after all. But seriously, I'm sure that they recognise that the market for tablets is growing, while the market for dedicated handheld gaming devices with 30+ games is shrinking.

Also, they'd be at a natural disadvantage in the traditional handheld arena. The Xbox name is toxic in Japan, and Japan is the most important market for handhelds.
Dug
Dig
(01-23-2013, 12:28 PM)
Dug's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArtHands

I prefer a "Xbox Next"

xbox360 is quite a mouthful

NeXtBox?
9thwonder
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:29 PM)
9thwonder's Avatar

Originally Posted by famousmortimer

The black friday deal was $199 with a game and a memory card and 3 months of PS+ which just had unveiled 4 wonderful vita games in the collection.

I thought that was the amazon AC3 deal. I don't remember any brick and mortar retailer giving out 3 months of plus.
Kouriozan
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:31 PM)
Kouriozan's Avatar
Cool, can't wait for the PS4 to be called the "Playstation", that way it won't include "chi" which mean death.
famousmortimer
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:31 PM)
famousmortimer's Avatar

Originally Posted by 9thwonder

I thought that was the amazon AC3 deal. I don't remember any brick and mortar retailer giving out 3 months of plus.


Possibly. Probably. I don't pay much attention to brick and mortar stores anymore.
gaming_noob
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:32 PM)
gaming_noob's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dug

NeXtBox?

Already taken by Rogers:

The Jason
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:32 PM)
The Jason's Avatar
They could do this, but being unable to differentiate a new product from the old makes the new one not seem so new. So I think they will give it a title.
surly
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:34 PM)
surly's Avatar

Originally Posted by gaming_noob

Already taken by Rogers:

Cisco also made an iPhone, but it didn't stop Apple from stealing the name!
swordsman720
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:35 PM)
I don't like the name of the next xbox:
X-Box (just like the old one, yes I still have this one the good old xbox)
New X-Box (please don't immitate the sux name from Apple)





X-Box Infinity is a great name, lets hope MS chooses this one.
Last edited by swordsman720; 01-23-2013 at 12:37 PM.
GavinGT
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:35 PM)
GavinGT's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Jason

They could do this, but being unable to differentiate a new product from the old makes the new one not seem so new. So I think they will give it a title.

Introducing the new Xbox.

Also known as just Xbox.
Chiaroscuro
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:39 PM)
Chiaroscuro's Avatar
So what will be of us that still keep and play the original Xbox? Will we can the new machine the Xbox 2013?

Tablet part is probably a response to WiiU gamepad. But I am not sure if it is a good ideia anyway. Unless it has physical buttons and can stream games from the console without the need of a tv. Then I can use in at bedroon while wife is watching soap opera...
blade85
Junior Member
(01-23-2013, 12:40 PM)
blade85's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aiii

I disagree, it has always been "The 360" for me, and no doubt for many others.

Other than that, you are correct that it doesn't matter, as long as people can tell it's a new system (which they will by the looks and games).

Its "the 360" for gamers. But every other person out there that buys if for their kids usually calls it "xbox". Very few actually used 360 in the name.
Satchel
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:41 PM)
Satchel's Avatar
Called it, and called it.
DBT85
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:42 PM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kouriozan

Cool, can't wait for the PS4 to be called the "Playstation", that way it won't include "chi" which mean death.

Can someone who has heard Japanese PS3 adverts tell me how they say 3? do they say it in English like they say PlayStation or do they say it in Japanese?

I'm just not buying that they don't call it a PS4 because one region, which isn't predominantly a home console country any more, has a word which sounds like death as the word for 4.

Originally Posted by famousmortimer

For a new page, and my final attempt at sanity.

Saw it on the last page, people are reading the op and then replying sadly.
specialguy
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Smellycat

People actually think it will be called Xbox 720?? That makes no sense

I am 100% positive it wont be called that. 720 connotes the old 720P standard, not even the current more newfangled 1080P (let alone the even more swanky upcoming 4k standard). Naming it 720 just makes it sound old and dusty.

I'd see Xbox 1080 before 720. But more likely is just Xbox or Xbox 8 imo.
DXB-KNIGHT
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:43 PM)
DXB-KNIGHT's Avatar
Since this is Microsoft first step with naming,
It's Sony turn to name their next console the Playstation 2 ;)
Cartman86
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:43 PM)
Cartman86's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

Can someone who has heard Japanese PS3 adverts tell me how they say 3? do they say it in English like they say PlayStation or do they say it in Japanese?

I'm just not buying that they don't call it a PS4 because one region, which isn't predominantly a home console country any more, has a word which sounds like death as the word for 4.



Saw it on the last page, people are reading the op and then replying sadly.

English like in this ad.
Hanmik
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:43 PM)
Hanmik's Avatar

Originally Posted by Satchel

Called it, and called it.

what did you Call..?
stryke
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:43 PM)
stryke's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kouriozan

Cool, can't wait for the PS4 to be called the "Playstation", that way it won't include "chi" which mean death.

Got some brushing up to do son.
Antiwhippy
the holder of the conch shell
(01-23-2013, 12:45 PM)
Antiwhippy's Avatar
Should have called it That Xbox.

'Hey you got That Xbox?"
DBT85
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:45 PM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cartman86

English like in this ad.

So then, in your opinion if they did call it the PS4 would it be called "PlayStation Four" or the death one?

EDIT: no speakers on this stupid work PC :(

EDIT2: listened on my phone. After that I am even more confident that it'll be PS4. Thank you Cartman86.
Last edited by DBT85; 01-23-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Satchel
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:46 PM)
Satchel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hanmik

what did you Call..?

Calling it the new Xbox, and the Xbox Surface being a 360 in a tablet.
GlamFM
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:47 PM)
GlamFM's Avatar
I remember a similar rumor about the Wii U. Somebody claimed it was supposed to be called "Nintendo" which would have been great but turned out to be BS just like this rumor.

"360" is almost a stronger Brand now than XBOX - I expect the next one to be called 360 spelled three-sixty two.
GavinGT
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:48 PM)
GavinGT's Avatar

Originally Posted by GlamFM

I remember a similar rumor about the Wii U. Somebody claimed it was supposed to be called "Nintendo" which would have been great but turned out to be BS just like this rumor.

"360" is almost a stronger Brand now then XBOX - I expect the next one to be called 360 spelled three sixty two.

No way in hell. Even President Obama called it "Xbox" in a speech.
P90
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:48 PM)
P90's Avatar

Originally Posted by 9thwonder

The system was 250$ with a memory card and a game, aren't all vita bundles like that (regardless of black Friday)? I think the only one who gave it a discount was best buy.

It was $199 among three different bundles with game and memory card. AssCreed bundle had a white Vita.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...3-and-ps-vita/
T-0800
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:49 PM)
T-0800's Avatar

Originally Posted by Phonomezer

The difference being that Microsoft know how to market their consoles.

Similar things were said about Sony before the PS3 was revealed. Things change.
GlamFM
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:50 PM)
GlamFM's Avatar

Originally Posted by GavinGT

No way in hell. Even President Obama called it "Xbox" in a speech.

XBOX 360 obviously.
QP3
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:50 PM)
QP3's Avatar

Originally Posted by famousmortimer

For a new page, and my final attempt at sanity.

But we want to keep talking speculation and how our predictions came true!

Seriously though, was this site just desperate for hits? Who does this?
Cartman86
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:50 PM)
Cartman86's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

So then, in your opinion if they did call it the PS4 would it be called "PlayStation Four" or the death one?

EDIT: no speakers on this stupid work PC :(

I don't know for sure, but I remember from Japanese class in school that "yon" is also used instead of "shi" for 4. I don't think they will not call it Playstation 4 just because of this superstition. And if they are afraid of shi then they got yon to fall back on right? Especially if they are going to use the English pronunciation which in every commercial and press conference i've seen has been used. Seems different than the number 13 in the western world where it's the number itself not the word. Anyone else know more?
GavinGT
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:51 PM)
GavinGT's Avatar

Originally Posted by GlamFM

XBOX 360 obviously.

This would be worse than "Wii U". Pronouncing it "Xbox 362" makes it sounds like an incremental upgrade, and would lead to more confusion than just "Xbox".
Hanmik
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:51 PM)
Hanmik's Avatar

Originally Posted by Satchel

Calling it the new Xbox, and the Xbox Surface being a 360 in a tablet.

but you realise this is not "real news"..?
GlamFM
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:52 PM)
GlamFM's Avatar

Originally Posted by GavinGT

This would be worse than "Wii U". Pronouncing it "Xbox 362" makes it sounds like an incremental upgrade, and would lead to more confusion than just "Xbox".

Nothing is worse than Wii U.
sleepykyo
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:52 PM)
sleepykyo's Avatar

The Xbox 720 will not be called that when it is finally announced. Instead, Microsoft will be reverting to the name of its first games console released 11 years ago, Xbox

This rebooting is getting ridiculous. DmC, then Tomb Raider and now even hardware. Come on Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy.
GavinGT
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:53 PM)
GavinGT's Avatar

Originally Posted by sleepykyo

This rebooting is getting ridiculous. DmC, then Tomb Raider and now even hardware. Come on Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy.

Those two need to happen. I'm calling it right now - there's no way in hell S-E releases a product called Final Fantasy XVI.
Satchel
Banned
(01-23-2013, 12:54 PM)
Satchel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hanmik

but you realise this is not "real news"..?

yeah I know. But I still have confidence I'll be right on both counts.

the Xbox surface will be a 360 squeezed into a tablet, that will play all your arcade games and GoD games. Will most likely act as a screen for the new Xbox too.
GavinGT
Member
(01-23-2013, 12:59 PM)
GavinGT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Satchel

yeah I know. But I still have confidence I'll be right on both counts.

the Xbox surface will be a 360 squeezed into a tablet, that will play all your arcade games and GoD games. Will most likely act as a screen for the new Xbox too.

It does sound like a fair bet for Microsoft. It also sounds like it will flop as hard as Surface.
kingkitty
Member
(01-23-2013, 01:02 PM)
kingkitty's Avatar

Originally Posted by GavinGT

Those two need to happen. I'm calling it right now - there's no way in hell S-E releases a product called Final Fantasy XVI.

Personally I hope for a Final Fantasy XXX in my lifetime.
Last edited by kingkitty; 01-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Thread Tools