Originally Posted by Akainu

If by charming you mean crap then yes.

It's crap, but it's charming crap.
Niraj
(01-23-2013, 03:43 PM)
This is beautiful. Definitely want.
Spieler Eins
(01-23-2013, 03:44 PM)
Epic Yarn was amazing. Despite the lack of difficulty, it had great atmosphere and variety on par with the Mario Galaxys. Can't wait for this game.
Piers

Originally Posted by Sandfox

Kirby games are usually easy so this game might be harder.

Not if Tezuka has anything to do with it. Part of why Yoshi's Story and Mario 3D Land bugs me is how unnecessarily easy the main game is, but alas - Tezuka cannot play games for shit but apparently if he can't beat it, it's far too hard.

It's also stupid how this is literally riding visually on Epic Yarn's coat tails. Little Big Planet has already gone and championed the look and feel as well, so as people are saying - it would of been much more interesting to go back towards Yoshi's Islands aesthetics.
Last edited by Piers; 01-23-2013 at 03:49 PM.
lamaroo
Disappointing we didn't get a brand new art style, aside from the LittleBigPlanet 3D stuff, which looks great.
Pikma
(01-23-2013, 03:45 PM)
This looks awesome! I don't care if it's more like Yoshi's Story, I loved that one too.
Nekki
Another screenshot that shows the "different" art style

BowieZ
T-minus 3 crappy threads until Junior Status is obtained!
I expect a Yoshi's Island 2 using the old SNES/DS art style will be for 3DS, maybe in a couple years time.

That way the parallax layers can truly 'pop' with 3D depth of field.
MvmntInGrn
(01-23-2013, 03:46 PM)
Which one of these visual concepts are they going for? I see Epic Yarn but with Yoshi, Epic Yarn with 3D yoshi, a more LBP 3D style and then a shot with a window sill visible (like it takes place in a play-room). I'm very confused.
Phatmac
(01-23-2013, 03:46 PM)
Yes!!! I have to get a Wii U now. :(
shinobi602
(01-23-2013, 03:47 PM)
Is anyone else slightly bummed they're using the same exact style as Kirby's Epic Yarn?

I loved that style, but I would've like something fresh...

I would've taken a new spin on Yoshi's Island SNES TBH.

A remade art style of that could've looked jaw dropping.
DjRoomba
Banned
(01-23-2013, 03:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Ein Bear

Not really feeling the art style. It worked great for Kirby, but it's a travesty that they aren't revisiting the Yoshi's Island look.

Yeah it woulda been sweet to see like an animated platformer, like Wario Shake-It but not anime, yoshis island style. Thats where they shoulda gone for Yoshi. This very much looks like a retread of Epic Yarn. But hey, its early days. It may end up being coolest thing ever who knows.
Galang
(01-23-2013, 03:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Nekki

Love this one as well. I would have loved a 2d style, but this looks really nice too.

I just hope they're not done exploring the 2d style for other franchises either.
TheCongressman1
(01-23-2013, 03:49 PM)
Another side scroller... Meh. I was really hoping it would be a 3D platformer.
Pociask
(01-23-2013, 03:49 PM)
Love the Epic Yarn look and feel, but a little disappointed, because I was excited to see what the Wii U could do with the original crayon aesthetic. And now I realize I'm arguing on the internet about the relative value of yarn vs. crayon graphics.
Yoshi
(01-23-2013, 03:50 PM)

Originally Posted by thecouncil

getting 100% on Epic Yarn was certainly NOT easy.

but it was also certainly not a great game.

hah.

It was easy, it was even way too easy. But it was a good game. Not as good (due to being so easy and slow) as Wario Land TSD, though.
Smedwicks
(01-23-2013, 03:50 PM)
Just seeing those screens now, they look absolutely amazing. The Master of the Miiverse was right. I almost can't believe this is happening. Day one.
Yoshi
(01-23-2013, 03:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Piers

Not if Tezuka has anything to do with it. Part of why Yoshi's Story and Mario 3D Land bugs me is how unnecessarily easy the main game is, but alas - Tezuka cannot play games for shit but apparently if he can't beat it, it's far too hard.

Didn't Tezuka also work a lot on Super Mario Bros. 2, the real one, one of the hardest platformers of all time?
XaosWolf
(01-23-2013, 03:53 PM)
As long as it's more along the lines of Island than Story, then I don't care what it looks like.
Those later screens are awesome though, if a little empty.
EmCeeGramr
If ghosts needed to breathe, dead people would use up all the air and we'd suffocate
(01-23-2013, 03:54 PM)

Originally Posted by chubigans

Seriously, we'll never get an epic masterpiece like YI. Instead Yoshi gets all the crumbs.

Yoshi's Island was one of the best games ever made, why oh WHY hasn't Nintendo revisited that world?

Do I have the game for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshi%27s_Island_DS
StreetsAhead

There's 2 freaking Yoshi models shown in the snippet. (2D and 3D) there's clearly going to be some sort of perspective switch element to the game. I know you get it, maybe, but I feel that some people are being obtuse.
Vire
DancingJesus
Really hope this game is more challenging than Epic Yarn...

Who am I kidding? :/
Brera
Banned
(01-23-2013, 03:55 PM)

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

Man, I know Yoshi's Story disappointed a lot of people, but come on guys, Yoshi has been in a felt and crafts style game before

Yoshi's Story was dog shit.

Yoshi's Island DS was dog shit.

This looks like dog shit.

Gimme more of this Nintendo:

The sad thing about Nintendo is that they never seem to acknowledge when they make a dogshit game. Once they release a shit game in a series, that's it, they'll build on that dogshit and make it worse and worse until we get stuff like this and Starfox Command and NSMB.

RIP Yoshi. You were a gaming god but now...you're a gaming dog :-(
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed
(01-23-2013, 03:55 PM)

Do I have the game for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshi%27s_Island_DS

Really? I heard mixed feedback on that one. Hmm, might get that for my DSXL.
Kai Dracon
Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
(01-23-2013, 03:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Pociask

Love the Epic Yarn look and feel, but a little disappointed, because I was excited to see what the Wii U could do with the original crayon aesthetic. And now I realize I'm arguing on the internet about the relative value of yarn vs. crayon graphics.

Serious business yo videogames etc etc

But really, I am a bit surprised they're going straight with almost an Epic Yarn continuation (wouldn't be surprised if the story crosses over in some way too).

Epic Yarn was easy, but for me very engaging to play, so it didn't get boring. And the one thing it had going for it was that the control and character physics were so damn solid. It very much had a tactile feel that Good Feel seems to specialize in. Level design was also interesting and varied, even if easy in terms of absolute difficulty.

I would have liked to see a take on the original YI's visual style, but can't knock a well executed visual package. Will wait and see how more of this game looks.
bbdude
(01-23-2013, 03:57 PM)

Haven't played it myself, but people on GAF have said the music is awful and the level design deteriorates as you progress..... might was well give it a rent at your local Blockbuster
EmCeeGramr
If ghosts needed to breathe, dead people would use up all the air and we'd suffocate

I was making a joke.
Agent Unknown
Wow, this looks amazing. Yoshi's Story style arts and crafts gfx in HD, YES!

Originally Posted by Spieler Eins

Epic Yarn was amazing. Despite the lack of difficulty, it had great atmosphere and variety on par with the Mario Galaxys. Can't wait for this game.

This. Even though Epic Yarn was really easy it was still a very enjoyable platformer.
Currygan
(01-23-2013, 03:58 PM)
looking FANTASTIC

I pray it won't be super-easy
JetBlackPanda
(01-23-2013, 03:59 PM)
YES. YES. YES.

the wife will love this. Kirby's Epic Yarn is one of her favorites.
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed

Originally Posted by bbdude

Haven't played it myself, but people on GAF have said the music is awful and the level design deteriorates as you progress..... might was well give it a rent at your local Blockbuster

I was making a joke.

*cries*
"God's Beard!"
Fuck Yoshi's Story 64, though. I hate that game.
Aeana
Medal Princess
(01-23-2013, 04:00 PM)
This is starting to look pretty interesting after seeing those other screenshots with different styles.
bdizzle
Tom
(01-23-2013, 04:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Brera

Yoshi's Story was dog shit.

Yoshi's Island DS was dog shit.

This looks like dog shit.

Gimme more of this Nintendo:

The sad thing about Nintendo is that they never seem to acknowledge when they make a dogshit game. Once they release a shit game in a series, that's it, they'll build on that dogshit and make it worse and worse until we get stuff like this and Starfox Command and NSMB.

RIP Yoshi. You were a gaming god but now...you're a gaming dog :-(

Hold on, are you saying NSMB was dog shit?
Tan
(01-23-2013, 04:01 PM)
Hope you can still poop and throw eggs but not getting my hopes up.
Starphoenix
(01-23-2013, 04:01 PM)
As long as you can actually see a Game Over screen, I'll be ok. Personally I thought the yarn style fit Yoshi more than it did Kirby, apparently somebody else thought so too.
BowieZ
T-minus 3 crappy threads until Junior Status is obtained!
(01-23-2013, 04:02 PM)
Title ideas:

"Toy Yoshi"
"Yoshi's Plush Paradise"
"Yoshi's Doll Land"
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(01-23-2013, 04:03 PM)

looks interesting in a LBP way, but I don't know if I want Yoshi running along a windowsill. I liked when he lived in his own universe - this makes him look like a toy.

will have an open mind though.
anon_mastermind
(01-23-2013, 04:04 PM)

Originally Posted by JetBlackPanda

YES. YES. YES.

the wife will love this. Kirby's Epic Yarn is one of her favorites.

Same here. I hope this one has co-op, too.
Kid Ying
(01-23-2013, 04:04 PM)
To me, this looks even better aesthetically than Epic Yarn, but i need to see how it plays before getting hype, cause Epic Yarn was all looks and not much fun to me.
Tiu Neo
(01-23-2013, 04:05 PM)
So, LittleBigYoshi? Looks good, if it plays anything like the older games, I'm in.
RoboPlato
I'd be in the dick
Looks gorgeous.
Dandalf
I really hope it's more difficult than Kirby's Epic Yarn.

I've never been more let down by the difficulty in a game than I was with Epic Yarn. It was almost literally impossible to die.

If this Yoshi title follows in that same vein I don't know if I'll be able to push through it.
Seda
the worst pokemon
(01-23-2013, 04:06 PM)

entrement
(01-23-2013, 04:07 PM)

Originally Posted by shinobi602

Is anyone else slightly bummed they're using the same exact style as Kirby's Epic Yarn?

I loved that style, but I would've like something fresh...

I would've taken a new spin on Yoshi's Island SNES TBH.

A remade art style of that could've looked jaw dropping.

Ugh at that filter.
Hot Coldman
(01-23-2013, 04:08 PM)
One step closer to that makes-way-too-much-sense-to-not-happen Yoshi x Kirby game
EvilMario
Will QA for food.
(01-23-2013, 04:09 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

I can only hope it's not babby's first platformer like Kirby's Epic Yarn.

I was so bored with Epic Yarn in the beginning. But as the game went on, scoring the highest star rating per stage.. with the amazing soundtrack.. really sold me on the game. I prefer it over Return to Dream Land, actually.

I have high hopes for this title.
EmCeeGramr
(01-23-2013, 04:09 PM)
who uploads a bmp
Subtle
(01-23-2013, 04:11 PM)
I let out an audible sigh when I saw that Yoshi was 2D and made of yarn, but these other screenshots with 3D Yoshi are giving me hope! More stuff like this please, but in 3D:

Please, no Yoshi's Epic Yarn!

And stop hating on Yoshi's Story you old farts!
Seda
the worst pokemon
(01-23-2013, 04:13 PM)

who uploads a bmp

Nintendo's press site sometimes.