• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft WiiU trailer - X (Takahashi x Tanaka x Sawano, Xenoblade x/multiplayer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The director Tetsuya Takahashi is not a person who will make a game which is MP focused without a story. There will definitely be lots of mundane MMO style fetch quests, because Xenosaga and Xenoblade had those too. They're basically the worst part of the game, and usually optional (but not if you're a completionist).

Monolithsoft's forte is in making large scale RPGs with lots of thought put into the worldview and locations, lots of history in the story, and quasi-philosophical anime sci-fi storylines. Also, this game will certainly have a bunch of HD towns and cities! Lol.

I mean even Borderlands 2, an extremely multiplayer focused game, had a ton of story.

Not only does story really fit with what Monolith does, it's becoming notably more of an expectation in games like this.

That guy at the end definitely had to be Shulk.

Shulk1.png

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's weird to see all the negative nancy assumptions from people out of nowhere. Did they even play the Wii game? This looks like Xenoblade HD. Not like Monster Hunter just because you can also cut off some monster parts now (Xenoblade already had plenty giant beasts of this sort, and you could tumble them over etc already - oh, and Monster Hunter is awesome, no reason to troll other games out of nowhere in such an unrelated thread to boot), not like Phantasy Star Online, not like World of Warcraft just because your party can now be player (rather than AI with occasional ordering around) controlled, etc. At the same time it looks like the battle system has been enhanced in various ways, hopefully all good, and they'll also hopefully fix Xenoblade's other flaws to a degree, and then it should be the best JRPG of the decade, multiplayer or not, optional fetch quests or not. I'm sure there will be plenty beautiful vistas too, Xenoblade had its share of bleak locations. Just bake it well, Monolith Soft. Oh, and I take it that they know it makes perfect sense to have the skills as hotkeys on the touchscreen this time, right? RIGHT?

MCD

OK. I will be quite frank.

I avoided Xenoblade like the plague due to the bad graphics/character models (lol Wii) but this makes my dick harder than Chinese electric batman FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF IMAGINE XENOSAGA 4 IN THIS SCALE

The only thing that worries me about this game is the artstyle. Don't get me wrong, it looks incredible for the most part, but it also looks a little more dark and washed out than Xenoblade. It has more of that "dark, gritty, and serious" tone to it. It's a minor concern, though.

Derrick01

Banned
The director Tetsuya Takahashi is not a person who will make a game which is MP focused without a story. There will definitely be lots of mundane MMO style fetch quests, because Xenosaga and Xenoblade had those too. They're basically the worst part of the game, and usually optional (but not if you're a completionist).

Monolithsoft's forte is in making large scale RPGs with lots of thought put into the worldview and locations, lots of history in the story, and quasi-philosophical anime sci-fi storylines. Also, this game will certainly have a bunch of HD towns and cities! Lol.

:(

But...maybe they won't be so bad this time if they have some of those crazy looking enemies? Maybe??? :(

zulux21

There are four players and assloads of round geometry on the screen.

I can't possibly imagine that working in local co-op.

That's almost assuredly online.

wasn't part of the wiiu gamepad supposed to be so each player could have their own screen to make previously undoable forms of local co op doable?

I mean I don't imagine 4 player local co op, but it wouldn't surprise me if you could do two player, one person using the tv screen and one using the wiiu pad... no? (to get 4 player it would be online obviously)

spidye

Monsterhunter x lost planet x phantasy star, with a sauce of the same futuristic fantasy anime crap we've seen a thousand times before. It boggles my mind how people can get excited for the exact same shit every.single.time.

in the meantime COD431 sells 14 million units.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I almost feel like replaying Xenoblade, but damn, i don't have the time to replay a game that took me ~100 hours the first time. :(

Oh well, i guess i can just listen to the soundtrack again, it should be enough.

Again, can someone relink those gifs on imgur please? I wanna see them but abload is blocked at work!!

I don't even really know what to do with myself when I think of playing a coop xenoblade 2 type game on the tv as well as the gamepad, any similarities to pso and all my time is just going to vanish once this comes out.

You got me again monolith

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The only thing it needs is that colour palette steering away from brown back to Xenoblade's vibrancy.

daakusedo

I hope they'll talk frequently of the game now that it's unveiled, there's so many questions... and they're going with a less saturated color scheme, I need to see more eryth sea type of things and greener grass.
Love the MacGyver tic tic sound of the intro, bodes well for some mechonis field songs.

I hope they'll talk frequently of the game now that it's unveiled, there's so many questions... and they're going with a less saturated color scheme, I need to see more eryth sea type of things and greener grass.
Love the MacGyver tic tic sound of the intro, bodes well for some mechonis field songs.

Should it be going in the xenoblade direction then its likely the more colorful areas are further in the game just like xenoblade. The first area there was also pretty bland compared to the rest of the game.

OK. I will be quite frank.

I avoided Xenoblade like the plague due to the bad graphics/character models (lol Wii) but this makes my dick harder than Chinese electric batman FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF IMAGINE XENOSAGA 4 IN THIS SCALE
The characters look like shit, but the environments in xenoblade were breathtaking.

i can't believe this.....

I havent been this excited since Super Mario Galaxy for Nintendo. Just too much stuff in one day. They overfreaking delivered. Seriously

I REALLY

REALLLY

REALLY

REALLY

WISH I WASNT AT WORK RIGHT NOW

Blades64

Banned
The music is amazing. The graphics is just right already. The gameplay looks to be headed in the right direction. Awesome.

duckroll

But...maybe they won't be so bad this time if they have some of those crazy looking enemies? Maybe??? :(

I should clarify. The game is not built around those quests. Your next objective is almost always getting to some location, or clearing a dungeon, or finding a certain item which is in a story location. The mundane crap are the optional quests you find in towns and cities.

FryHole

Xenoblade was the best gaming experience I've had in years. This looks amazing.

Nintendo gets my money again, damn it.

thefil

For once I find multiplayer a welcome addition. If my girlfriend and I can play this on the same console, It might be worth picking up a WiiU.

The only thing that worries me about this game is the artstyle. Don't get me wrong, it looks incredible for the most part, but it also looks a little more dark and washed out than Xenoblade. It has more of that "dark, gritty, and serious" tone to it. It's a minor concern, though.
I noticed that as well. I just hope there are moments like your first night in Valak Mountain or Eryth Sea. It looks great, though.

zoukka

It depends what you think as mundane. In some games, just hunting big ass monsters for better loot is enough for me like in FFXII. Xenoblade had some of that charm too because the world was so nice, big and handcrafted. You could hop from ledges to ledges and try to find secrets that really felt like they were well hidden.

ultron87

The more dynamic looking combat with targetting limbs and whatnot could go a long way towards making such quests bearable. I'm down with that as long as it doesn't go any more action-ey than that by adding dodge moves or whatever.

Alrus

The only thing it needs is that colour palette steering away from brown back to Xenoblade's vibrancy.

Heh I think it's jumping to conclusion, we've only seen a few monsters and pretty much one area. Not all of Xenoblade's areas/monsters were colorful. Some with equipment, plus honestly most of Xenoblade's gear was ugly as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom