• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

entrement
(01-23-2013, 02:44 PM)
http://kotaku.com/5978262/the-wii-u-...le-this-spring

NES, SNES, and GBA later
Gamepad Support confirmed.
Discounts for those who purchased games on the Wii VC.
JasonMCG
(01-23-2013, 02:45 PM)
I have to re-purchase everything? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!
Madao
just discounts?

wtfisthisshit
MicH
Happy with the solution. GBA games is YES
TheExodu5
(01-23-2013, 02:46 PM)
Wow...I don't think I'll be bothering this time around, seeing as how I have to repurchase the games I want.
Anth0ny
Japan gets Mother 2, no one else does.

The VC library won't be there all at once, it'll trickle out over time. Again.
Sandfox
People are going to be annoyed by the price but at least its optional. Its better for games one hasn't purchased unless they are willing to pay the dollar for games they really love.
Interfectum
you really have to repurchase everything? lol what the fuck...
GulAtiCa
Finally!
Crazymoogle
They're no longer roms (in order to get gamepad screen support + savestates + Miiverse or whatever options they add), hence dev time and cost to update.

I guess it's possible they could do some direct-dump games and update them later like on 3DS, though...
brandonh83
I'm actually okay with the discounts; my question is, I already transferred my VC games to a launch console that I got rid of. Will that make a difference when it comes to the discount, or will I simply have to add my Club Nintendo account to a future Wii U console that I purchase?
Like the hat?
(01-23-2013, 02:47 PM)
A buck or two each isn't too bad I don't think. Obviously I'd prefer free, but I think another $1.50 to play say Final Fantasy III on the gamepad is worth it.
zephervack
(01-23-2013, 02:47 PM)
Shit, now Sony and Microsoft will follow suit with having to repay for all Downloadable games :(
GRW810
(01-23-2013, 02:48 PM)

Originally Posted by JasonMCG

No you don't HAVE to do anything.

But if you want to add some awesome new features to your games it will cost you mere pennies.

It's a choice, and a very fair one.
Beelzebub
why is earthbound JP only? :(
CaptainTiptop

Originally Posted by MicH

Happy with the solution. GBA games is YES

Happy with having to buy again? Ahahaha.

This is lame for people who bought a bunch of VC stuff on Wii, discount or no.
Flame Lord
I hope they release games at a much faster pace this time around. It's going to be pretty weak if we have to hit the reset button on VC every time a new console is released.

Nintendo
Striek
(01-23-2013, 02:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Crazymoogle

They're no longer roms (in order to get gamepad screen support + savestates + Miiverse or whatever options they add), hence dev time and cost to update.

I guess it's possible they could do some direct-dump games and update them later like on 3DS, though...

Of course they're going to be ROMs. All of that stuff will be emulator side. Charging people again is ridiculous.
blizzardjesus
Banned

Originally Posted by brandonh83

I'm actually okay with the discounts; my question is, I already transferred my VC games to a launch console that I got rid of. Will that make a difference when it comes to the discount, or will I simply have to add my Club Nintendo account to a future Wii U console that I purchase?

well your account is locked to that system you got rid of.
DeuceGamer
This is going to be an interesting thread. Curious to see how many are upset they have to pay a small fee to get the updated version. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I don't see how it's different then releasing HD games and charging for them. Just because you owned the original doesn't mean you get the new game with updated features for free. With this you can either play your original VC game in Wii Mode, or you can pay a small(seriously small, IMO) fee for the updated features to use the GamePad, and access it in Wii U mode, Miiverse Integration, etc.....
sammex
TBH I think the discount price is worth it for Miiverse integration and off-screen play.
Lord-Audie
I think this is the first time Nintendo copies Sony.
Wolves Evolve
Just visiting Planet Fuck
Its tough.

Repurchasing is fucking grim and abysmal.

BUT

They've made it so cheap, I feel churlish for arguing the point.
Rezbit
Essentially you're paying a buck for the off-tv and miiverse features. Not terrible I guess.
Sandfox

Originally Posted by zephervack

Shit, now Sony and Microsoft will follow suit with having to repay for all Downloadable games :(

They would actually have to have differences with the other versions for them to be able to get away with that.
Sendou
(01-23-2013, 02:50 PM)
Looks like about 80% discount. I guess you'll have to decide if ability to play them off-tv and Miiverse is enough to make you pay that. I'm not sure myself.
d_escudero
No Earthbound here :(
I will go to cry in a corner...

In other point, I didn't expect GBA on Wii U, I'm still waiting to be on 3ds, I have only a few of VC games (10 I think, and half are N64 games), not big deal for repruchase games If i buy a Wii U
Last edited by d_escudero; 01-23-2013 at 02:53 PM.
sakipon

Originally Posted by GRW810

No you don't HAVE to do anything.

But if you want to add some awesome new features to your games it will cost you mere pennies.

It's a choice, and a very fair one.

I was actually expecting it to cost a nominal fee, like 20 cents or so. The discount is not good enough, I feel.

It's still great to have the chance to play VC on the GamePad, but they should've taken a plunge for the old customers.
leadbelly
Wait... aren't games on the Virtual Console emulated?

I don't have a Wii so I'm not so sure. If they are, then this is a straight up scam.
cyberheater
PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 XBOX PS4 PS4
So no N64 support? Or did I miss that.
Madao
(01-23-2013, 02:51 PM)

Originally Posted by brandonh83

sounds like you're boned since everything was tied to the console, even the NNID.
dallow_bg
nods at old men

Originally Posted by Lord-Audie

I think this is the first time Nintendo copies Sony.

I didn't have to rebuy my digital PSX purchases?

What?
Cosmonaut X
Worth clarifiying in the OP that you don't have to repurchase your Wii VC games - they transfer straight over - but that to get the added features mentioned, owners of those Wii titles can upgrade for a fraction of the price new buyers will pay.

I expect some people will still object to that, but it's clearer than what seems to be coming across - that you have to rebuy to get your VC library on Wii U in the first place - at some sites...
mugurumakensei

Originally Posted by Striek

Of course they're going to be ROMs. All of that stuff will be emulator side. Charging people again is ridiculous.

1.00/1.50 is not that much. They have to cover the additional cost of rewriting the per title emulators to work with the pad.
brandonh83

Originally Posted by Madao

sounds like you're boned since everything was tied to the console, even the NNID.

Sweet. So you can't tie your CN account to another console? It can't be removed from the original console? I sold my launch console to a friend so I can still get access to it, if it's possible to remove the NNID and CN account associated with it.
DrFaustPhD
Where's my Gamecube and N64 games? Those will come eventually... Right?

Little annoyed that I have to pay to download again, but DK needs some gamepad support.
Zarovitch
So that mean i'll be able to play Super Metroid on the gamepad?
SOLD!
phosphor112
Banned
No N64?
Repurchase digital games?

Fuck.
King_Moc
How much is the discount, and are they changed in any way beyond off tv play? HD-ification would be nice. If they're gonna recharge previous owners then they need to at least justify it.
Gambit

Originally Posted by Flame Lord

Nintendo

Because the others have such an excellent record with backwards compatibility.

We'll see how PSN for PS4 handles old downloads.

Would I prefer it for free? Hell yea!

Did I expect it? Nope. Not even a discount.
Zia
Wait, what is "Yoshi" from that Kotaku list? Is that Yoshi's Island, finally?
BD1
(01-23-2013, 02:52 PM)
At least Nintendo is adding features to VC games, so the $1.50 will actually net you something new.

That being said, I won't rebuy most of my games.
The Boat
Thankfully I don't have a lot of VC games on Wii, but it's still shameful that you need to buy them again. I realize they're fitting them one by one, but that's no excuse.
TheBatman
Yeah, GBA is something, but no N64 and No gamecube is a huge disappointment. Guess they gotta keep some stuff for later.
teeny
Im reluctant to transfer my Wii VC games to the Wii U at all, at least until every single game is available for me to download.

And even then it is going to cost me a lot. What would be better is if Nintendo allowed you to transfer all games to the Wii U properly, and then pay more to upgrade if you wish to. I don't like the idea of having some games sitting in one sandboxed mode that might die out sooner rather than later, whilst others are on the new machine.

Maybe Im just being OCD about it.

Also, GBA games on the Wii U before the 3DS is just weird.
Lord-Audie
(01-23-2013, 02:53 PM)

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

I didn't have to rebuy my digital PSX purchases?

What?

The Japan UMD transfer program.

Very obscure reference, since it is related to the Vita ;)
BD1

Originally Posted by King_Moc

How much is the discount, and are they changed in any way beyond off tv play? HD-ification would be nice. If they're gonna recharge previous owners then they need to at least justify it.

Miiverse
Tunic
I am excited about GBA games. Also being able to play on the gamepad will be a very nice feature. Pricing isn't too bad if you previously bought the titles. Of course free is better but if it requires extra development to support the game to be playable on the gamepad only I will happily pay the $1.00/$1.50.
Roboleon
I wonder if the wiiware games will appear as well, and if so, if there will be a similar discount system...?
Glass Joe

No. You can play all your stuff in Wii mode like always.

The discounts at least are pretty significant. Upgrade each NES title you own for $1.00, or SNES title for $1.50. It's an acceptable compromise, considering they do offer "enhanced" features like off-tv and Miiverse, and obviously had to be totally reprogrammed.

I'm okay with this. For my collection, I can update everything for probably about $20-$30. I imagine it's still going to be a slow drip though when it does start this Spring, so my wallet won't be hit all at once. I'm sure I'll actually be excited to see Game X finally in stores again, actually.

Question on that 30 cent promotion, starting with Balloon Fight today. So is that like, a glorified rental, or will they let us *keep* it at that price?