• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

SmokyDave

Sheesh, some people want everything for nothing. I wonder how generous you guys would be if you were running a business?

"So you filled you're car up with petrol, drive around for a little while and now you want to top up? Sure, have extra fuel for free, you already paid for that fill tank."

Or, I don't know. Couldn't think of a better comparison. But expecting Nintendo to sit there and recode software, paying employees and funding resources, and then give it to you for free is incredibly ignorant.

Should I have got OoT 3D free because I owned the original and they just added 3D?

The biggest issue I have with the moaners is if you don't want to pay it, don't. Just play the games on Wii or Wii mode. If you really want the Miiverse integration or off-TV play, you're acknowledging the very additions that are costing you loose change.

When I bought an iPhone 4, should I have had to rebuy my iPhone 3 apps?

When I bought an iPad, should I have had to rebuy my iPhone 3 & 4 apps?

When I bought my PSP, should I expect to rebuy the PS1 classics I bought on PS3?

How about when I bought a Vita? Do I now need to own the same copy of Metal Gear Solid three times?

You don't seem to understand that businesses are already out there nailing this stuff. It's not unreasonable to expect digital purchases to be tied to a uniform account and work across differing hardware.

Cartman86

Banned
Someone has to maintain them, whether it's some guy working weekends on an emulator or a company maintaining a download service. As soon as there's no money or at least volunteer work it falls apart. We can maintain them at the same level using general compatibility techniques. You may not like that Wii VC games work in compatibility mode and don't use new more convenient features but they didn't regress, it's the same as it always was. So yeah, you should think about this because it's a huge miscalculation to think being digital makes it perpetually free to maintain, it just removes physical problems. If Intel/Windows moves to something that's not X86 your Steam collection is fucked. Hell, many are moving into post-PC and you'll need to rebuy all the software on your iPad if it even exists there.

But this isn't anything new. We've always had compatibility issues between hardware and there's nothing we can ever do about it. Someone will have to rebuild from the ground up. Whether that's developers or Nintendo who work for money or a dedicated fan community that donates thousands of hours to the cause.

Is it crazy to think they could have just made the Wii compatibility mode work with the gamepad at the the least? Maybe have all Virtual Console titles boot into the Wii emulator in a way that bypasses the Wii front end? I'm honestly curious if this is impossible. They managed to remove all sorts of menus and features in the Wii emulator on the Wii U anyways so its not like its a straight emulation job.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What about your NES copy of SMB isn't "once and for all" might i ask?

The question isn't sincere because it focuses on a nitpicking of my words rather than honestly thinking about my intention, so I don't need to answer it sincerely.

If Intel/Windows moves to something that's not X86 your Steam collection is fucked.

If all the raindrops were lemon-drops and gum-drops, oh what a rain it would be.

serplux

Apparently you have full control customization on the Wii U Virtual Console. That's pretty cool (now just bring it to the 3DS). Also cool jingle for loading!

netBuff

Seriously. I'm not spending money on gimped, 50hz versions of games in 20 fucking 13.

This is such an obvious problem, I don't understand why we can't select different regions for VC games. 50Hz is a huge deal breaker, especially with plenty of other easily available emulators.

At least button mapping seems to be available:
rNF1mMn.jpg

When I bought my PSP, should I expect to rebuy the PS1 classics I bought on PS3?

How about when I bought a Vita? Do I now need to own the same copy of Metal Gear Solid three times?

You don't seem to understand that businesses are already out there nailing this stuff. It's not unreasonable to expect digital purchases to be tied to a uniform account and work across differing hardware.
You can play all of your DD software that you purchased on your Wii onto your Wii U. You're paying if you want additional features.......

Appleman

Is it crazy to think they could have just made the Wii compatibility mode work with the gamepad at the the least? Maybe have all Virtual Console titles boot into the Wii emulator in a way that bypasses the Wii front end? I'm honestly curious if this is impossible. They managed to remove all sorts of menus and features in the Wii emulator on the Wii U anyways so its not like its a straight emulation job.

To be fair, it's not a Wii emulator as much as it just turns itself into a Wii

Exactly. People are not being "entitled" or asking for something out of the ordinary. People just Nintendo to get with the times and meet the expectations people have of what a digital library is. There are a lot of concessions made by buying and creating a digital library, either of music, or movies or now games, and those concessions were supposed to come with their advantages, namely convinience. Nintendo is throwing that out the window. At some point why even bother with digital? Just release discs full of old games every generation and make people buy them over and over.

Jazzem

Pfft, at least you US folks can play the non-crippled versions of these games, you guys hqve it much better than those saddled with PAL nonsense ;_;

If you bought a Wii U, DO you have to rebuy your VC games on Wii U to play them?.....No

In some cases, this is true of Nintendo, but as far as the Wii U VC, it's not. You can still play all Wii VC games on Wii U without paying anything. You just do not get the latest re-release that adds a few more features. If you want those added features, you have to pay a small fee.

Now, if you want to talk about buying a game on 3DS and not being able to play it on Wii U then I'll completely agree. However, in this case you are able to play Wii VC games on Wii U without paying anything extra.

NOTE: They still need to change it to tie it to an account rather than the console though :)

arit

I wonder if the Wii U is sending an actual 50Hz signal to the tv/pad.
Would be interesting what performance emulators could achieve, if the Wii u gets fully hacked and if optimizing the emulator is really necessary for older systems.

Filtered Balloon Fight looks turdy; not nearly as nice as running a PC emulator on this same screen. Need scaling options along with those control options.

serplux

I feel like today, the final nail on the coffin of any hopes and dreams anyone had of Earthbound making it's way to the VC was hammered in.

Earthbound is coming (at least to the Japanese version in April), it just won't be in the 30 cent program. It'll come a little bit after the launch of the VC.

Somnid

Probably not but if they were doing this then it's probably not worth the development to do this other thing that's the same thing in a different way.

I had to rebuy my iPhone apps on my iPad if I wanted the improved HD versions. And I didn't even get a discount. :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you bought a Wii U, DO you have to rebuy your VC games on Wii U to play them?.....No

Again, I think the "Wii Mode" argument is very thin, because it is significantly less convenient (requires a lengthy reboot process, requires a separate controller) than any other form of BC. Even rebooting from W95 into Pure DOS was quicker and required less, and that was a nightmare.

I'm mad about having to pay for the updated versions of my VC software.

...but if it's really only $1 a piece, I'll suck it up.

What I really want to see happen is if there could be a discount on top of that for say, Ambassadors or Premium SKU purchasers or something like that.

So the 30c thing, if I buy them and the month ends do I lose access to the game until the real service starts and I repurchase it for full price (assuming I don't have it transferred over from Wii)?

Just trying to make sense of it.

Its like a month rental?

Davey Cakes

Surprised there have only been a couple of posts about Earthbound hitting JP VC.
I think everyone who cared already hanged themselves.

Just kidding. But I'm a huge fan of the Mother/Earthbound games and I'm severely disappointed.

Japan folks are going to be able to enjoy this game for 30 cents for a month, playable on the Gamepad. They're living it up with one of the greatest Nintendo gems, while American fans are left to $150 used carts or pirating out of desperation.

I'm not one to be a whiny bitch but this is a sticking point for me.

The one hope I have is that EB will be released as an import game (even though it was already officially localized and released) with the three slight changes made for legal reasons, and that the reason it's not part of the trial is because Nintendo's delaying it to make the fixes and also just doesn't want to use it for the US trial service.

mackattk

Again, I think the "Wii Mode" argument is very thin, because it is significantly less convenient (requires a lengthy reboot process, requires a separate controller) than any other form of BC. Even rebooting from W95 into Pure DOS was quicker and required less, and that was a nightmare.

Requiring a seperate controller is probably the worst part of that. I can wait a few minutes for Wii mode. I am just a lazy asshole to get up and switch controllers.

In some cases, this is true of Nintendo, but as far as the Wii U VC, it's not. You can still play all Wii VC games on Wii U without paying anything. You just do not get the latest re-release that adds a few more features. If you want those added features, you have to pay a small fee.

Now, if you want to talk about buying a game on 3DS and not being able to play it on Wii U then I'll completely agree. However, in this case you are able to play Wii VC games on Wii U without paying anything extra.

NOTE: They still need to change it to tie it to an account rather than the console though :)

Having to boot up some bootleg "compatibility mode" every time you want to play a game you haven't paid to upgrade is stupid, clunky and lazy and people shouldn't be called "entitled" for wanteing a better system, or at least one that is up to par to what other companies have been offering for years. Its a weak consolation and you shouldn't be suprised some people choose not to settle.

Balb

So the 30c thing, if I buy them and the month ends do I lose access to the game until the real service starts and I repurchase it for full price (assuming I don't have it transferred over from Wii)?

Just trying to make sense of it.

Its like a month rental?

It was confusing to me too but from what I understand they're yours to keep.

To clarify:

* After specified promotional period, each game will be made available in the Nintendo eShop at regular price. Wii U owners who have purchased the game(s) during the promotional period will not need to purchase the game(s) again at the regular price. Games purchased during this promotional period are eligible for 2 points in the Deluxe Digital Program. Point value subject to change.

Source: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/

That is a completely different argument then Wii U VC, IMO. That's more of an issue of overall Backwards Compatibility. Unfortunately, something we will possibly be discussing frequently next gen :(....I hope not though.

I would also point out, that this is likely one of the reasons they are charging a very small percentage for the games on Wii U.

Edit:
Having to boot up some bootleg "compatibility mode" every time you want to play a game you haven't paid to upgrade is stupid, clunky and lazy and people shouldn't be called "entitled" for wanted a better system, or at least one that other companies have been offering for years. Its a weak consolation.

I never called anyone entitled. I only mentioned that I personally don't see the problem with asking for $1 for the new features they are adding. As I stated above, your argument is more of one surrounding the overall Backwards Compatibility for Wii U.

Margalis

Banned
If I buy Portal 2 on Steam do I have to rebuy it on PS3?

If I buy a PSP UMD do I have to rebuy it on Vita or PSP Go?

If I buy a PC Steam game do I have to rebuy it on Mac? Does it even work on Mac at all?

If I buy Bastion on XBLA do I have to rebuy it on iOS or Steam?

If I buy XBLA / PSN games will they run on Durango/Orbis at all?

So many questions!

Mileena

Banned
Atleast until the VC launch. The monthly schedule is for the Anniversary Event pricing.
God dammit, this system has no game and I have to wait months just to play old ROM dumps. Get your shit together Nintendo, this should have been available at launch with a large selection, especially since its just SNES and NES. Disappointing but not surprising.

Tiu Neo

Earthbound is coming (at least to the Japanese version in April), it just won't be in the 30 cent program. It'll come a little bit after the launch of the VC.

Yeah, I won't believe that until I can download Earthbound from my US Wii U. NOA hates Earthbound fans money.

No you don't HAVE to do anything.

But if you want to add some awesome new features to your games it will cost you mere pennies.

It's a choice, and a very fair one.

Quoted for truth.
Seriously, this is getting really boring - to get new features, yes, you have to pay money! It's a shock I know :-/

Personally, can't wait to get home after work and buy Balloon Fight :) Fantastic :)

Prices are ridiculous. $8-10 or so to play snes rom dumps... Fuck off Nintendo. Thank goodness their other announcements weren't bad cuz the prices are way too much and to have people pay again to "own" it on Wii u is absurd

zroid

Banned
I guess I'm just not as mad as everyone else because frankly I was expecting we'd have to pay full price for the Wii U "upgraded" versions :lol

I totally sympathize that it sucks for a lot of people though, especially those who have most strongly supposed the original Wii Virtual Console. I didn't buy *that* many games. Maybe about 15-20 in total.

25 bucks to play them all on the GamePad with Miiverse support? Yeah I can deal with that.

btkadams

the cost of upgrading (if you already owned them) is low, but it's still fucking scummy imo. i bought ps1 games on my ps3 and they have worked on my psp and now vita. if your purhcased game is literally already on your wii u in the wii library, why should you have to pay to move it to the wii u menu?

the emulator sounds better though, so that is nice.

Top Bottom