• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Zia
(01-23-2013, 06:55 PM)
http://www.edge-online.com/features/...ises-promises/

Again, this was Nintendo telling its public to wait. “I apologise to those supporting Wii U for the lack of new titles during January and February,” implored Iwata early on in the presentation. “But please understand we will have new titles to offer from March onwards.” It can promise and tease all it wants, but Nintendo’s fiercely loyal fanbase is growing uneasy. Not to mention impatient.

Meanwhile, PC and mobile continue their inexorable rise, and Microsoft and Sony prepare to unveil their next-generation consoles. 2013 could be the year in which the videogame landscape is utterly transformed, more quickly and more viciously than anyone could have forecast. When Nintendo finally delivers the games its fanbase wants, will they still be interested?

Jarmel
place a shoe on my head
to reduce lag compensation
(01-23-2013, 06:56 PM)
Neogaf: "Edge- Do you eat shit"?
guit3457
Meanwhile, PC and mobile continue their inexorable rise, and Microsoft and Sony prepare to unveil their next-generation consoles. 2013 could be the year in which the videogame landscape is utterly transformed, more quickly and more viciously than anyone could have forecast. When Nintendo finally delivers the games its fanbase wants, will they still be interested?

LOL

Yes, they will.....
miksar
I don't think there's an issue with Nintendo's fanbase, there's an issue with everyone else.
zephervack
(01-23-2013, 06:57 PM)
Makes it easier to wait for a Wii U price drop, so its all good with me, I have plenty of backlog on PS3 and Steam.
Penguin
"Nintendo is offering their fans promises"

"Sony and MS will totally deliver on the nothing they've announced so far."

Seems kind of odd.
gamergirly
I think Edge should be grateful that Nintendo showed any AAA games TBH. The realistic expectations going into this was "MAYBE" Bayonetta 2 LOL. We got a lot more than that. Sony and Microsoft will have their own problems when launch comes.....
ShineALight
I was expecting them to announce games that would be available for purchase today.
specialguy
Banned
(01-23-2013, 06:58 PM)

Originally Posted by guit3457

LOL

Yes, they will.....

Yes, the die hards will. But those are a small group and shrinking.

That said it's funny how look far enough and you will find almost any spin on anything. EG, Baltimore beats SF 42-0 in SB, someone will somewhere write how Baltimore is doomed or something.

Because basically the Nintendo direct seemed pretty good from what I followed, but here we have an article basically with the view it sucked
Last edited by specialguy; 01-23-2013 at 07:00 PM.
kunonabi
Nintendo promises X
Sony promises The Last Guardian.

At this point I'll gladly take Nintendo's word over the rest.
Darryl

Originally Posted by Penguin

Seems kind of odd.

lol yea pretty odd argument
Coolwhip
Nintendo doesn't mention future games: "Where is the long term vision!?"
Nintendo shows future games: "Promises promises"

Ugh.
SolsticeZero

Originally Posted by zephervack

Makes it easier to wait for a Wii U price drop, so its all good with me, I have plenty of backlog on PS3 and Steam.

Indeed. I'll wait for the week before the release of X in the US, then I'll pick one up.
SmokyDave
His head smashed in and his heart cut out and his liver removed and his bowels unplugged and his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off and his penis...

Originally Posted by miksar

I don't think there's an issue with Nintendo's fanbase, there's an issue with everyone else.

Exactly this. The Nintendo fanbase are the last people Nintendo need to work to please.
Gamer @ Heart
Telling us to wait is what every fucking company does in this industry.

The problem Nintendo has had these past two years is their dev-reveal-release policies didnt tell us what we were waiting for.
Hot Coldman
(01-23-2013, 06:59 PM)
Oddly dismissive of the new Yoshi game. You wanna single something about as being mere fanservice, point at the SMTxFE game.
Tiktaalik
Nintendo has to do it this way to put the Wii U on best footing against Sony/MSFT. At E3 they'll be showing off their 2nd gen titles from their top tier internal developers when MSFT and Sony are showing off their initial demoesque forays into next gen development.
Malvingt2
Oh wow...
Ithil
"Meanwhile, PC and mobile continue their inexorable rise, and Microsoft and Sony prepare to unveil their next-generation consoles. 2013 could be the year in which the videogame landscape is utterly transformed, more quickly and more viciously than anyone could have forecast. When Nintendo finally delivers the games its fanbase wants, will they still be interested?"

Yes.
Kouriozan
What? Did they watch another Nintendo Direct?
GCX
I'm happy Iwata acknowledged that they've made some fuck ups and promised to correct them and also showed how they're going to do it. I see nothing wrong with that.
Chris23235

Originally Posted by ShineALight

I was expecting them to announce games that would be available for purchase today.

Balloon Fight? ;)
EVOL 100%
The article is more fair than the snippet would lead you to believe.
NinjaTehFish
(01-23-2013, 07:00 PM)
EDGE: "Yoshi, Zelda, Mario-Kart, Atlus, Monolith, Bayonetta 2 WWHD......Nintendo fails to bring out the big guns in 2013"
amaron11
Banned

Originally Posted by Penguin

Seems kind of odd.

You said it better than I could.

What is odd to me is that this seems to be the prevailing thought.
1-D_FTW
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
metalslimer
And do they think the other two will launch at E3 or something?
pixlexic
Wow edge trolls fast! Though I think kotaco trolled first with ps3 dev kit news.
Margalis
Banned
After watching ND the first thing I thought was "oh boy I can't wait to play some more mobile infinite runners and Scrabble clones!"
Like the hat?
I don't understand why people act all crazy because other people don't mind the way Nintendo works.
Baconsammy
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:01 PM)
Clearly Nintendo is feeling quite desperate. Edge is right. Hopefully now Nintendo has gotten the message loud and clear that the Wii U has no chance of being the Wii, so put the focus on the core. Too late most likely to win back all the core they lost last gen, but if it means fewer party games and more core titles, good.

Originally Posted by pixlexic

Wow edge trolls fast! Though I think kotaco trolled first with ps3 dev kit news.

How is that in any way a troll?
Diddy Kong

Originally Posted by Jarmel

Neogaf: "Edge- Do you eat shit"?

First post wins!
JAYSIMPLE

Originally Posted by miksar

wow. Deep. I agree
Mashing
Someone tell me what games Sony and Microsoft have announced?

Yep, thought so. What a rubbish article.
Dave Meltzer
Banned
Nintendo literally gave us things we knew were coming were coming. Windu Waker HD is really the only moderately surprising thing there.
Fantastical
Death Prophet

Originally Posted by GCX

I'm happy Iwata acknowledged that they've made some fuck ups and promised to correct them and also showed how they're going to do it. I see nothing wrong with that.

But how many times now has Iwata apologized for stuff? It seems like we are always commending Iwata for being able to admit fuck ups, but do they actually learn. Didn't 3DS almost have this exact problem except that it also had terrible launch games in addition to a huge drought?

I am excited after that Nintendo Direct, but I feel as thought I've said "Good for Iwata for admitting they made mistakes" too many times now.
Kimawolf
(01-23-2013, 07:02 PM)
Yes it sounds like they are saying "Nintendo tells it fans to wait for the goods, but gamers can play amazing games on mobile devices right now! and soon Sony and MS will make their promises, which will blow Nintendo's promises out the water"

Gaming has will always be a investment in the future if you get a platform at launch or near launch.
Rockandrollclown
lookwhatyou'vedone
They really do need to get some games out. I am pretty pumped for X, wonderful 101, SMT x FE, but none of that does me any good now.
EVOL 100%

Originally Posted by Diddy Kong

First post wins!

It bugs me how people use this insult.

Kamiya was equating reading Kotaku to eating shit so it doesn't work in this context /pedantic
Harlock
(01-23-2013, 07:03 PM)
Kimawolf

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

Nintendo literally gave us things we knew were coming were coming. Windu Waker HD is really the only moderately surprising thing there.

you expected SMTxFire Emblem? Seems kinda.. out of nowhere. And no one REALLY expected to see Monolith Soft's game till like yesterday.
Baconsammy
Banned

Originally Posted by Fantastical

But how many times now has Iwata apologized for stuff? It seems like we are always commending Iwata for being able to admit fuck ups, but do they actually learn. Didn't 3DS almost have this exact problem except that it also had terrible launch games in addition to a huge drought?

I am excited after that Nintendo Direct, but I feel as thought I've said "Good for Iwata for admitting they made mistakes" too many times now.

Too many to keep his job at most places.
JDSN
You must walk home naked, dragging behind you the Stone of Shame.
This is probably the reason why Nintendo created the NDs and Iwata Asks in the first place, why bother with a shitty middleman that will give this kind of reporting while fawning over Assassin's Creed 3.2: Haytman's Gravity Mix? I dont see in any way how can a new Yoshi game be considered "fanservice".
Last edited by JDSN; 01-23-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Dynopia
Can't imagine any Nintendo fan isn't happy with todays slew of announcements.

But in hindsight they've changed little, we knew they were coming so did the 'fanbase'
Ithil
(01-23-2013, 07:04 PM)
The disconnect between "Nintendo only offered promises" and "when this year Sony/MS promise to..." is jarring.
KillerTravis
Banned

Originally Posted by Fantastical

A two month drought it's nothing compares to the 9 month one on 3DS. We got rayman on february anyway.
Sandfox
This is kinda funny on Edge's part.

Originally Posted by Baconsammy

Clearly Nintendo is feeling quite desperate. Edge is right. Hopefully now Nintendo has gotten the message loud and clear that the Wii U has no chance of being the Wii, so put the focus on the core. Too late most likely to win back all the core they lost last gen, but if it means fewer party games and more core titles, good.

How is that in any way a troll?

I think its more about the way they phrased it that's getting to people.
jrush64
Nintendo can't win anything. Who expected Fire Emblem x Shin Megami? Who expected to see X?
Syrinx
What the hell did they expect? That these games would be released tomorrow?