• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Error
Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
(01-23-2013, 07:20 PM)
Error's Avatar
if nintendo announced fuck all they would be complaining as well.

gaming journalism lol
The Boat
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:21 PM)
The Boat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mxrz

Showing games two years off isn't going to help the system now. "Just wait longer!" is bullshit when any company trots it out. We all gave Sony and MS shit when they tried it, too. Nobody is picking on poor Nintendo just for being Nintendo.

I didn't know most of the games shown are two years off. Unless you're still living in 2011.
Jimmy Stav
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:21 PM)
Jimmy Stav's Avatar

Originally Posted by Penguin

"Nintendo is offering their fans promises"
....

"Sony and MS will totally deliver on the nothing they've announced so far."

Seems kind of odd.

Your paraphrase really misrepresents what the passage actually says. The article just points to the fact that MS and Sony are releasing new consoles this year, which could overshadow today's announcements. This is not an unreasonable thing to say.

Edit: the reading comprehension on display in this thread is laughable.
73V3N
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:21 PM)
73V3N's Avatar
Article makes no sense
Vyse The Legend
Wiser than thou
(01-23-2013, 07:21 PM)
Vyse The Legend's Avatar

Originally Posted by beast786

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508743

Nothing about that changed for us WiiU owners. The article is correct in that term. That it was all about promises. The next couple of month and since launch has been tough.

Maybe you (generally speaking) shouldn't be an early adopter then? I don't think I've ever bought a console on day 1 that had tons of quality titles every month after launch.
snap0212
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Penguin

"Nintendo is offering their fans promises"
....

"Sony and MS will totally deliver on the nothing they've announced so far."

Seems kind of odd.

This is not at all what the article is saying or what it's talking about.

However, Nintendo is currently not doing a great job at getting people on-board with the Wii U. They already have their fanbase, those people are on board and those people will be buying the games whenever they're ready.
What I think the article is trying to say is that Nintendo is the only company that has a new system that is (most likely) less powerful than what we'll see from Microsoft and Sony later this year. They should use their new-console state and get stuff done instead of promising things for the future. A future in which people will be excited about the most powerful systems out there, about better graphics and stuff like that.

Nintendo was unable to grab the public like they did with the Wii and now they're not doing a great job grabbing those interested in gaming in general. Nintendo isn't giving them a reason to spend their money on Nintendo's system. They're not giving them an incentive to go out and get a Wii U now. They're basically saying “You can wait, because the good stuff is far ahead” and I don't think that's a good thing. When it's time to actually buy that stuff, the two other companies will probably be in full force to make you want to get their system.
Oersted
Junior Member
(01-23-2013, 07:22 PM)
Oersted's Avatar

Originally Posted by Coolwhip

Nintendo doesn't mention future games: "Where is the long term vision!?"
Nintendo shows future games: "Promises promises"

Ugh.

Exactly. Its complaining for the sake of complaining.
Zia
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:22 PM)
Zia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jimmy Stav

Your paraphrase really misrepresents what the passage actually says. The article just points to the fact that MS and Sony are releasing new consoles this year, which could overshadow today's announcements. This is not an unreasonable thing to say.

Especially considering they have a slew of games (many of which look to be some of the generation's best) releasing up until the probable announcements in June.

Edit: The "investment" and "good will" arguments are absurd and embarrassing. Outside of message boards where people are unhealthily invested in these companies, people don't purchase consoles to play games a year off. That's like purchasing a chainsaw because you think you may someday live in a forest.
Last edited by Zia; 01-23-2013 at 07:25 PM.
meltingparappa
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:22 PM)
meltingparappa's Avatar
PS4/Xbox3 will come out of nowhere and crush Nintendo?

Implying that Mario Kart won't sell through the roof?

Comparing just the Wii U to mobile games?

Basically saying Nintendo is doomed again?

Instant reactionary troll only hours after these announcements?


Impressive to find five "great" talking points in an article of that caliber.

Bumhead
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:23 PM)
Bumhead's Avatar
The EDGE article is probably over the top, but I think there's a genuine point behind the.. frustration, I guess, at just how "long term" these announcements are.

Everybody knew Smash Brothers, Mario Kart U, 3D Mario, new Monolith project and Zelda were going to release on the Wii U, even though there was an acceptance we might have to wait up to 2015 or so to play them. It's nice to have them confirmed, but how many of those games are going to release in 2013?

When people have been talking about the Wii U and its need for games, I was under the impression they were talking about games this year. For Q2 and Q3 this year, which are currently barren. Do people no longer want to play games now because there's likely to be one or two of those games announced today released in Q4 2013 at the earliest?
axisofweevils
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:24 PM)
axisofweevils's Avatar
It comes to something when IGN's coverage is far better than EDGE's coverage.
Ravensmash
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:24 PM)
Ravensmash's Avatar

Originally Posted by pixlexic

Wow edge trolls fast! Though I think kotaco trolled first with ps3 dev kit news.

Opinion piece discussing a topic in a fairly level headed way = trolling now?

I thought we wanted more discussion in the games press?
HamPster PamPster
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:25 PM)
HamPster PamPster's Avatar
As a vita owner I could use a few promises right now :(
AOC83
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:25 PM)

Originally Posted by meltingparappa


Implying that Mario Kart won't sell through the roof?

Mario Kart will sell well, but people who think it will come anywhere near the Wii numbers are in for a rude awakening.
The Boat
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:25 PM)
The Boat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bumhead

The EDGE article is probably over the top, but I think there's a genuine point behind the.. frustration, I guess, at just how "long term" these announcements are.

Everybody knew Smash Brothers, Mario Kart U, 3D Mario, new Monolith project and Zelda were going to release on the Wii U, even though there was an acceptance we might have to wait up to 2015 or so to play them. It's nice to have them confirmed, but how many of those games are going to release in 2013?

When people have been talking about the Wii U and its need for games, I was under the impression they were talking about games this year. For Q2 and Q3 this year, which are currently barren. Do people no longer want to play games now because there's likely to be one or two of those games announced today released in Q4 2013 at the earliest?

There's a reason why they showed games like MH and Lego City.
Pikma
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:25 PM)
Pikma's Avatar

Originally Posted by beast786

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508743

Nothing about that changed for us WiiU owners. The article is correct in that term. That it was all about promises. The next couple of month and since launch has been tough.

Yeah, but again, WTF were they expecting? to announce games coming out tomorrow? no matter what happened in that ND today, nothing about that line up you showed would have changed, nothing, zero. Nintendo like to play all their cards close to their chest, but not that close, that's plain stupid from them to expect it.
GitarooMan
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:25 PM)
GitarooMan's Avatar
I think the general idea is that Nintendo's time to really strike and maybe expand their fanbase was from Wii U launch to Fall 2013. After that it obviously gets a lot more complicated. I think it's certainly debatable whether we will see enough between now and fall to really change the current trend of Wii U.
pixlexic
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:27 PM)
pixlexic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ravensmash

Opinion piece discussing a topic in a fairly level headed way = trolling now?

I thought we wanted more discussion in the games press?

coming out only hours after the nintendo direct makes more of a knee jerk forum post to sway opinion.
TwEE-N-Toast
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:28 PM)
TwEE-N-Toast's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moonlight

I think Nintendo fans are the only people who are guaranteed to be interested.

I'm not sure what point they're trying to make here.


Shit like this is kind of annoying. Why wouldnt a gamer be interested in an open world rpg where you can drive a mech? Turn based strategy games like Fire Emblem only appeal to Nintendo fans? Mario Kart isn't extremely popular with people who don't normally buy Nintendo consoles?

You're not sure of the point they are trying to make? What does that even mean?
Alex
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:29 PM)
Alex's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ithil

Not just promises, but they had trailers/screenshots/development videos for Wind Waker HD, Yoshi WiiU, X, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2. As opposed to...rumours about new consoles?

Part of the problem looking at Nintendo is that the DS and Wii both transitioned off very, very roughly. This is pretty much the norm for Nintendo but I dare say it was particularly bad with the DS > 3DS and the Wii > Wii U. Meanwhile, from Playstation 4's blow out to the time of it's release and probably beyond some, I'll have a fairly solid peppering of both exclusives and multiplats for it.

Nintendo should really make some move to pace themselves better, I realize they're now split between two clashing markets but the outside help they get is very limited. If they have such immense reserves you'd figure they'd bolster the ol' studio count some more. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a bit disappointed at being shown mostly distant releases and blurbs. Everyone wants to see the long term goals, sure, but when the reel ends you've just got that "well, the fuck do we do for now?" feeling.

But yeah, Nintendo needs to pace, spread and expand better. I think how well they manage to cope with this will define their success or stumbling with the Wii U, as my prediction remains that think there will probably not be a magic piece of software to bring back any expanded audience. And since this isn't a handheld, they're stuck with us needy nerds again!
Ravensmash
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:31 PM)
Ravensmash's Avatar

Originally Posted by pixlexic

coming out only hours after the nintendo direct makes more of a knee jerk forum post to sway opinion.

No, it just means it's contemporaneous. If you're posting an opinion piece surrounding an event then you do it as soon as possible, not wait two weeks when people have forgotten all about it.
DXB-KNIGHT
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:33 PM)
DXB-KNIGHT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moonlight

I think Nintendo fans are the only people who are guaranteed to be interested.

I'm not sure what point they're trying to make here.

Will Bayonetta seems like the first step in the right direcrtion for expanding the Wii U audience and Nintendo fanbase and it seems to be working.
Into
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:34 PM)
Into's Avatar
Satoru Iwata did not offer that apology to Wii U owners for no other reason than to be polite or humble, he and Nintendo clearly felt there was a good reason to apologize.. This is not my opinion or EDGE, Nintendo themselves made sure this came across

Sitting at the table with your cards to your chest? No longer time for that, sales around the world indicate that the GamePad and NintendoLand have not sparked the same interest that Wiimote and Wii Sports did, it was time to act.

Nintendo did the right thing, it is better to promise games that are still months away and some even several years away than to keep your cards close to your chest.

Now there is less air of mystique around the Wii U, but the system as a whole looks more attractive because people can pin point some of the games they really want to play. You can go to bed tonight with the warm feeling that yes, Wind Waker HD is coming and so is Mario Kart U.

January and February are going to be rough months for the Wii U, but at least now there is optimism and hope. Nintendo did the right thing, the only thing they really could do at this moment. They cannot conjure games out of thin air.

Promises>>>Nothing
Bumhead
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:34 PM)
Bumhead's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Boat

There's a reason why they showed games like MH and Lego City.

But we've known about those since the system launched. People knew about those games when they were bemoaning the lack of games in Q1, Q2 and Q3.

As far as I'm aware that lack of games for 2013 still exists and is still an issue. We seem to have got very, very little from today's ND that fixes the short term complaints lots and lots of people had about the next 6-8 months.
ari
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:35 PM)
silly article. One thing to have an opinion on the presentation from nintendo. Its another to spin it into a negative thing about nintendo.

blows my mind that anything negative could be stated about this direct compared to others. lol
Sadist
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:36 PM)
Sadist's Avatar
Honestly, I think they're pretty much quick to judge. "Selling new Mario games to a indifferent public"? Based on what? On MS and Sony's rumoured specs? There might be a possibillity that those two won't deliver the hype.

Let's see what the three of them have in store for us at E3 before making assumptions.
skinnyrattler
Junior Member
(01-23-2013, 07:36 PM)
skinnyrattler's Avatar
PC or steam is rising?
StevePharma
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:36 PM)
StevePharma's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ravensmash

No, it just means it's contemporaneous. If you're posting an opinion piece surrounding an event then you do it as soon as possible, not wait two weeks when people have forgotten all about it.

Exactly. Their E3 conference write-ups are usually within 30 min. to an hour as well.

I agree with them though. The promises are amazing but so far from release and not very substantial info, it felt a bit like panic mode. The new reveals were pretty megaton though.

Originally Posted by Alex

Part of the problem looking at Nintendo is that the DS and Wii both transitioned off very, very roughly. This is pretty much the norm for Nintendo but I dare say it was particularly bad with the DS > 3DS and the Wii > Wii U. Meanwhile, from Playstation 4's blow out to the time of it's release and probably beyond some, I'll have a fairly solid peppering of both exclusives and multiplats for it.

Yep. Sony knows how to blow out a console. God of War 2 and The Last of Us should be prove of that. Let's see how everything will turn out with PS4/Durango before I make any more assumptions but for now there's no reason for me to get a WiiU just yet.
Last edited by StevePharma; 01-23-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Soule
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:36 PM)
Soule's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jimmy Stav

Your paraphrase really misrepresents what the passage actually says. The article just points to the fact that MS and Sony are releasing new consoles this year, which could overshadow today's announcements. This is not an unreasonable thing to say.

Edit: the reading comprehension on display in this thread is laughable.

How I interpreted it, feels like there's a heck of a lot of kneejerk defensive posts here from what I read of the article.
IMBored
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:37 PM)
IMBored's Avatar
To be fair, how many of the announced games where actually announced?
None where given release windows apart from "after March", one was given a quick edited trailer, and a few of the others had screen caps.
thecouncil
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:38 PM)
thecouncil's Avatar

Originally Posted by jrush64

Nintendo can't win anything. Who expected Fire Emblem x Shin Megami? Who expected to see X?

everyone expected everything, sir.

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

Pretty much this. Though several of the games shown today have appeal outside of traditional Nintendo fans

but they're on Wii U so they don't count.
Last edited by thecouncil; 01-23-2013 at 07:41 PM.
BruiserBear
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:39 PM)
BruiserBear's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fantastical

But how many times now has Iwata apologized for stuff? It seems like we are always commending Iwata for being able to admit fuck ups, but do they actually learn. Didn't 3DS almost have this exact problem except that it also had terrible launch games in addition to a huge drought?

This x 1000



I think the lack of Virtual Console at launch is the most egregious example of just how ill prepared they were for this launch. They actually had the VC ready to go for the Wii launch 6 years ago, but apparently this time that was too much to ask, so it's arriving 4-6 months late.

If you can't even get the Virtual Console ready on time, you've got problems.
Alias Greed
Junior Member
(01-23-2013, 07:42 PM)
I think there right and Neogaf proves there point. Most of the people gushing over this announcements are nintendo fans and already bought or will buy the wii U. If you look at the if they convinced you thread must people said "No" which also helps to proof their point. Who knows when the hell this games will be released, in the mean time other stuff will come out and people can get a Wii U after a price drop.
plagiarize
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:42 PM)
plagiarize's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bumhead

But we've known about those since the system launched. People knew about those games when they were bemoaning the lack of games in Q1, Q2 and Q3.

As far as I'm aware that lack of games for 2013 still exists and is still an issue. We seem to have got very, very little from today's ND that fixes the short term complaints lots and lots of people had about the next 6-8 months.

honestly, you'd have to be mad to think they were going to announce a slew of titles to drop in May or whatever today. as far as I'm aware, the Wii U sales figures come in too late for Nintendo to react and get games out this summer that weren't already in development. showing us what's coming later, was as good as they could do right now.
Rockandrollclown
lookwhatyou'vedone
(01-23-2013, 07:42 PM)
It is a fair criticism. I own a Wii U and one game for it, ZombiU. Currently I have nothing to play or look forward to in the immediate future on my new shiny console. Thats kind of a bummer. It doesn't seem like Wonderful 101 is going to meet "launch window", and I have no clue on when Pikmin will come. In the meantime it gathers dust. I'm very interested in the stuff shown, but it does nothing to help the current situation. Hell I'd be happy with an extended virtual console. Maybe some Demon's Crest or something new.
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(01-23-2013, 07:43 PM)
Father_Brain's Avatar

When Nintendo finally delivers the games its fanbase wants, will they still be interested?

Nintendo doesn't need to worry about losing the interest of its existing fanbase. They need to worry about gaining the interest of everyone else.
SirIgbyCeaser
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:43 PM)
SirIgbyCeaser's Avatar
When we see killzone 4, people will be like wind waker HD what? (Edge, next gen and nintendo are different markets. They will be fine.)
oconnomiyaki
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:44 PM)
oconnomiyaki's Avatar
The reaction to this Direct has been fascinating.

Before: Nintendo! Announce some damn games! Show us what's coming. Sell us on a Wii U.

*Nintendo announces some damn games*

After: What do you mean they aren't coming Q1?!?!?!?!

What did people expect?
RurouniZel
Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
(01-23-2013, 07:45 PM)
RurouniZel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

The reaction to this Direct has been fascinating.

Before: Nintendo! Announce some damn games! Show us what's coming. Sell us on a Wii U.

*Nintendo announces some damn games*

After: What do you mean they aren't coming Q1?!?!?!?!

What did people expect?

Magic. Obviously.
BruceLeeRoy
(01-23-2013, 07:45 PM)
BruceLeeRoy's Avatar
I think them showing Monoliths game was a great move because I am really really excited about it but the article does make some good points. It's too bad the negativity surrounding the Wii U is so extreme because it forces Nintendo fans to be just as extreme in the positive direction and spout insane hyperbole.

If people were balanced we could look at this objectively and come somewhere in the middle. We're these announcements great? Yes. Is Nintendo still facing a huge uphill battle? Absolutely
Lonely1
Junior Member
(01-23-2013, 07:45 PM)
Lonely1's Avatar

Originally Posted by SirIgbyCeaser

When we see killzone 4, people will be like wind waker HD what? (Edge, next gen and nintendo are different markets. They will be fine.)

Killzone is an small franchise. I believe Ps4 will struggle unless the NextBox really fails to deliver.

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

This is no different from any console manufacturer. What's his point?

Nintend00med. (Which might be, but not because of this Nintendo Direct).
DeaconKnowledge
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:46 PM)
DeaconKnowledge's Avatar
All of his criticisms can be levied at any console manufacturer. What's his point?
Baconsammy
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:47 PM)

Originally Posted by pixlexic

coming out only hours after the nintendo direct makes more of a knee jerk forum post to sway opinion.

What's the appropriate amount of time to wait before giving your opinion? Anything negative anyone says about Nintendo is going to be met with the same exact woe-as-us-they-said-Nintendo-is-doomed garbage regardless of when or how they say it. The fact remains that Nintendo did what they did today because they fucked up the Wii U launch, and they're feeling that.

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

All of his criticisms can be levied at any console manufacturer. What's his point?

And he'll say the same about Sony and Microsoft (they said the same thing about Sony during the first years of PS3). Are they supposed to ignore it because its Nintendo? Despite what Nintendo fans think, the world isnt out to get you.
Last edited by Baconsammy; 01-23-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Confidence Man
360 release: 2005
PS3 release: 2007
I need the reminder.
(01-23-2013, 07:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Donutta

The reaction to this Direct has been fascinating.

Before: Nintendo! Announce some damn games! Show us what's coming. Sell us on a Wii U.

*Nintendo announces some damn games*

After: What do you mean they aren't coming Q1?!?!?!?!

What did people expect?

Something other than a bunch of staple sequels everyone was expecting that are probably years away, but don't worry this year we have a remake of an old game for you!
caesar
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:49 PM)
caesar's Avatar
This article isn't that bad at all.
AzaK
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:49 PM)
AzaK's Avatar

Originally Posted by miksar

I don't think there's an issue with Nintendo's fanbase, there's an issue with everyone else.

Not sure really. Wii U owners don't have a lot at the moment and Nintendo have shit all coming in the next couple of months. Not just first party but third party too.

This Nintendo fan (if you could call me that) is very uneasy.
Lonely1
Junior Member
(01-23-2013, 07:49 PM)
Lonely1's Avatar

Originally Posted by BruiserBear

This x 1000



I think the lack of Virtual Console at launch is the most egregious example of just how ill prepared they were for this launch. They actually had the VC ready to go for the Wii launch 6 years ago, but apparently this time that was too much to ask, so it's arriving 4-6 months late.

If you can't even get the Virtual Console ready on time, you've got problems.

I believe the greatest challenge for VC was how to not egregiously offend Wii VC adopters. like how, after a year, GBA are still exclusive to Ambassador 3DSes.
Despera
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:49 PM)
Despera's Avatar
Who gives a shit about landscapes and the rest o' that bull?

It's all about the games. Whoever delivers what I enjoy playing wins my money.
Bumhead
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:50 PM)
Bumhead's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donutta

The reaction to this Direct has been fascinating.

Before: Nintendo! Announce some damn games! Show us what's coming. Sell us on a Wii U.

*Nintendo announces some damn games*

After: What do you mean they aren't coming Q1?!?!?!?!

What did people expect?

This is a really simplistic view of the point. Absolutely nobody expected Zelda, Monolith or even MKU to drop in Q1. But whether it was those games or different ones - even 2 or 3 smaller downloadable projects, or a couple of the slew of third party PS360 games being ported - I think people would have liked a ND in January to show something new we might have a chance of playing before August.
Zoramon089
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:50 PM)
Zoramon089's Avatar

Originally Posted by Confidence Man

Something other than a bunch of staple sequels everyone was expecting that are probably years away, but don't worry this year we have a remake of an old game for you!

Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, FExSMT, X...sure. All staple sequels that everyone was expecting.
*Rolls eyes*

Thread Tools