• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJMAX Technika Tune |OT| Fashionably Late to the Vita Dance Floor

djmax_headerhek23.png

sub_what51o4i.png

DJMAX Technika Tune is an adaptation of the original DJMAX Technika arcade games. It is a unique music game that makes full use of touch screen technology. The original cabinet games were known for their stylish background videos and touchscreen gameplay. The Vita version also features the OST and M/V modes for players who simply want to listen to the music or watch the music videos without having to play through song maps again. The game features more than 60 songs and tons of unlockables, so it is perfect for those who wish to play the game on-the-go, or for those who love tracking down anything and everything they could in a game. There are also difficulty settings so both newcomers and veterans alike can enjoy what the game offers!​

Terminology

• Timeline – the line that scrolls throughout the top and bottom of the screen, highlighting the notes you must hit.
  • Groove Meter – your HP. If you hit notes more accurately, it increases (or “heals”). If you screw up, it decreases (you get “damage”).
  • Fever Icon/Fever Gauge – your Limit Break. It slowly fills up every time you hit a note and continue your combo. When the gauge is full, you can tap the Fever Icon and activate Fever Mode. Fever Mode allows every note you tap to have 100% accuracy for a higher score.

Technika Tune’s note symbols are as follows:​

technikatune02s0eol.jpg
1e9lucdf32.jpg

• The single pink notes are called Tap Notes. You tap them as the slider bar passes through them to create a single sound.
  • The green notes with a long tail are called Drag Notes. You touch the green note as the slider bar passes through them, and then hold the note, dragging your finger across the tail to create either a long sound or a multitude of sounds.
  • The green notes attached to segmented tails with little notes between them are called Chain Notes. They are treated similar to the Drag Notes, and they create a chained sound.
  • The blue-black notes with a triangle and line in the note represent Holding Notes. You hold the note portion at all times while the slider bar passes through the note.
  • Purple notes are called Repeat Notes. You tap the larger note button as the slider passes through the note and as it hits segments along the length of the note.
  • Purple notes with a large segment portion at its tail end are called Repeat Long Notes, and you treat them as regular Repeat Notes until you get to the enlarged tail portion where you continue tapping the main note as the slider passes through the note.
  • Touchscreen controls are visualized by having blue or purple backgrounds (similar to the aesthetic of the rear touch pad) behind the circles.

Modes

modes9xuim.png

Technika Tune features four single player modes: Star Mixing, Pop Mixing, Club Mixing, and Freestyle Mixing. After the player completes the Tutorial, they may select one of these four modes to play.

Star Mixing is essentially the game’s beginner mode, which allows the player to exclusively play with the touchscreen, and the notes in this mode are limited to Tap Notes, Drag Notes, and Chain Notes.

Pop Mixing is a moderate difficulty mode. The player may now either decide to exclusively use the touchscreen or combine their front touchscreen experience with the rear touch pad.

Club Mixing is the advanced difficulty mode in Technika Tune. The player may choose from disc set courses that the mode has to offer, and then choose 3 songs to play. The fourth song is considered a boss track.

Freestyle Mixing is self-explanatory. The player is free to choose which difficulty they want to play in this mode. You can unlock more songs in Freestyle Mixing by playing through Star, Pop and Club Mixing modes.​

Equipment & Customization

dj-max-technika-tune_w4i5d.jpg

If the player elects to do so, on the song select screen (after selecting a mode), they may drag their finger to the Equipment menu (swipe from the top then down the little strip saying “equipment”) and select a DJ Icon and a Note Skin. Each DJ Icon has an ability associated with it, ranging from EXP+, HP+, Auto Fever, Anti-Break, etc. This will improve their chances of success when playing various modes and songs. Note Skins also have similar abilities to DJ Icons. Thus, it’s beneficial for players to customize their equipment before heading to the dance club.​

Collections

2012-12-29-0400001xue2fkrh.png
2012-12-29-0359519iuaf7jak.png

The Collection screen for Technika Tune highlights suchs things as Play Data, Leaderboards, Image Galleries, and Movies. You’ll unlock more images and movies as you continue to play various songs in Technika Tune.​

2012-12-29-035208yquc7lkf6.jpg

The Album option allows the player to listen to music from Technika Tune, or to watch the M/Vs that are the background videos for each of the playable songs. You can tap the star icon to add the songs to your favourites.​

sub_gameinfou5qsi.png

bundlesn9jll.png

(Limited Edition release pictured)

North American Release Date: December 4, 2012
Price: $44.99 PSN, $49.99 Physical
ESRB Rating: T - Music downloads not rated
Publisher: Pentavision Global

Order links:

sub_mediad9uki.png

sub_trackucqlt.png

tracks_pageg1k4x.png

sub_testfdqta.png

This song is already stuck in my head.

KARA - Jumping

OH GOD THIS GAME IS GOOD.

Seriously, I just put in a three-hour session even though I planned on playing only one or two songs. Holy crap, this game is amazing. I didn't think it'd beat the old DJMax games for me, but it probably will. Now if only we could get a damn iPad release... it'd be perfect!! But for now, I'm glad it's a Vita exclusive; hopefully it'll sell a few Vitas in America now. :D

I just purchased a KARA album. OMG.

<3

wow this game is a lot of fun. I like it better than the normal falling note style djmax.

DJ Max Technika Tune LE is the like the highest quality LE I've ever owned.
Easily better than any PS3/360 offering.

Great build, materials, and design.
Very impressed.

My copy came yesterday, and the game's pretty great so far. I'm honestly surprised at the production values - the video clips, menus, everything looks sharp. All of the delays soured me on the game a little, but I'm loving it now that it's here.

The only thing I would say is turn DJ Max from a maybe to a definitely. It's crack son. It's so good.

Just started this. Damn, that intro video is pretty and catchy as hell.

The menus are incredibly stylish and the UI is easy to make sense of. This game works incredibly well with touch controls, it's amazing.

:3

GAF Community
Add yourself to the GAF user list!​

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread: Takuya, InfiniteNine, twentytwo22, Dark Schala, StarCreator

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Great game and good work on the OT.
Bought it off PSN when it was released in Japan but have yet to clear all the modes. Loved what I played so far.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Take on Me is the best new song in DJMAX in a long time. I love just listening to the song but hate playing it lol.

kiyomi

Absolutely lovely OT, StarCreator.

My copy's been shipped, so hoping to get it sometime next week. Gonna be listening to a lot of KARA. I will add myself to the list!

ZeroAKA

Another great Vita OT. :)

I'm struggling to find a way to hold my Vita in a comfortable position while playing the JP demo. I usually have to stretch my fingers to reach some notes, and it feels really awkward. Does anyone have any advice?

Absolutely lovely OT, StarCreator.

My copy's been shipped, so hoping to get it sometime next week. Gonna be listening to a lot of KARA. Added myself to the list!

Takuya and Dark Schala deserve waaaay more credit than I do, honestly - I didn't put myself at the bottom of the contributor list for nothing! All I did was organize things ._.

I'm struggling to find a way to hold my Vita in a comfortable position while playing the JP demo. I usually have to stretch my fingers to reach some notes, and it feels really awkward. Does anyone have any advice?

Besides putting the Vita down on a flat surface, it's probably best to hold the Vita + backtouch with one hand and have your dominant hand entirely devoted to tapping notes on the front screen.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Nice OT.

I really should crack open my copy of the game. This thread is gradually providing me the motivation to do so.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Unfortunately I'm not going to buy this because of the physical version's limited availability, despite wanting it. A shame.

Unfortunately I'm not going to buy this because of the physical version's limited availability, despite wanting it. A shame.

This stance is, unfortunately, the exact opposite of what needs to happen for this to change for future releases. The guys at technikatune.com have been going a little crazy with weekend promotions just to move copies =/

Nice OT. I've been having a great time with this game since I got it. Really fun rhythm game that gets pretty damn hard on some of those later Club Mixing sets. Really wish there was better leaderboard integration though. I would really like to compare scores with people on my friends list on individual songs. I don't think I'll play this game as long because of that. Maybe they could patch in better leaderboards? Not going to hold my breath on that one though.

For those wondering how people use the back touch features, I suggested this in the Vita thread a while ago. Can't recommend it enough. Makes using back touch easy and comfortable.
For DJMAX I've been using the Hori Armor Case.
qxg8pve.jpg

You can fold the top back to make a little stand. I just set that on my lap and I can comfortably play using the back touch. I guess the only downside is that your neck can get sore looking down if you play for to long. I guess they don't make that accessory anymore though, but I think this close to the same thing. http://www.amazon.com/Armor-GameCase-PlayStation-Vita-Sony-PS/dp/B0072LDV7O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359144212&sr=8-3&keywords=ps+vita+armor+case

I have pretty much given up hope on a PAL release at this point ;_;

Will look into importing this soon. Although not being able to use any DLC is going to be a kick in the soft ones. At least the vanilla release seems to have a ton of content.

EDIT: Also, fantastic OT StarCreator :)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This stance is, unfortunately, the exact opposite of what needs to happen for this to change for future releases. The guys at technikatune.com have been going a little crazy with weekend promotions just to move copies =/

It's out of my hands. I'm not going to pick up the PSN version because that'd mean my little brother wouldn't be able to play the game on his Vita, and I doubt I'd manage to get the physical version without paying a lot more even if I jumped through a million hurdles where I live.

I know they can't really afford releasing the game like a big publisher would be able to, and that's why I'm saying it's a shame. I'd love to be able to support them.

Then why are you here?

lol

branny

Buy this game, you guys. It was one of my favorites of 2012.

If you're a fan of rhythm games, don't let price scare you--the DJMAX series is one of the best out there, imo. The Technika-style touchscreen play is also a lot more accessible than traditional button-based DJMAX (like the Portable series on PSP).

The only major flaw I can think of in TUNE is that anti-break equipment can sometimes cause sound effects to drop out for the rest of the song if you mess up on holding notes, usually dragging long notes (green circle/yellow path, not to be confused with chain notes). The rest of my complaints are personal preference nitpicks or largely negligible things here and there.

Oh, and trophy hunters: TUNE's platinum is surprisingly easy. You won't need to do anything too crazy.

I recommend the PSN version so you can always have it available for quick bursts, just take care to not delete the bubble for space without backing up your save first.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Neat, I made it into the OP.
Yeah, the LE is really sweet. I stand by those words.

It's so nice it's actually on my shelf rather than in a closet like the rest of my game stuff.

Anyone know if the stand you got with Kid Icarus on 3DS could be used to prop the Vita up?

It can hold it, yeah.

While I'm here, if I buy the physical version, is there a way of resetting the card back to it's original state so I can sell it on? (i.e. if I buy now, I'd buy an EU version if I like the game (assuming an EU version appears) and then sell the US version to someone else - minus save of course :p)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Awesome, it's finally up! :D

StarCreator deserves more credit for coordinating stuff and giving me vague ideas about what to write with regards to discussing the game (probably didn't realize it, but I went off on exactly what StarCreator had trouble discussing when describing the game to someone, so... it's more inspirational in a sense). I just used some of my screens and stuff to supplement what I said. So take some credit for yourself!

Anyway... Buy this game. I didn't list it on my GOTY list for nothing. It's incredibly fun and addictive. It's also very gorgeous. If you think you need a capacitative stylus for this game, go for it.

Oh, and trophy hunters: TUNE's platinum is surprisingly easy. You won't need to do anything too crazy.
Haha, it just takes time.

Suirrad

I've put a lot of hours into this game. I did stop playin for a while but actually jus picked it back up yesterday.

The music is wonderful, the controls are fluent, the visuals are nice and the learning curve is fine with the different modes.

I will say though, this game will challenge you if that's what you're looking for. Some songs on CLUB mixing are
insane
!

megalowho

Great work, contributors! Slick and informative OT for a game that needs it.

Ended up sneaking into my top 10 for 2012 as well. Still have trouble feeling coordinated with rear touch mode, but I can comfortably get through most of the Pop and early Club charts holding it naturally in two hands using touch screen only. Not sure if I would want to play this on a stand, I tend to throw some force behind the taps especially if I'm familiar with a pattern. For serious sessions, got to keep it still on a flat surface. Almost like a tablet...
please someday

Gameplay is rewarding, extremely challenging at higher levels, presentation is stellar, the soundtrack is catchy and varied and the whole package just pops on a Vita. Not a perfect arcade conversion but an experience I keep coming back to. Said most of that in the earlier thread, but it bears repeating!

Take on Me is the best new song in DJMAX in a long time. I love just listening to the song but hate playing it lol.
It's a lot of fun. One day I'll nail that breakdown.

Nice, glad to see the OT finally made it! Great job!

Definitely one of my favorite games that came out last year, and one that I still play four months later (which is always a good sign)!

I never got around to buying this game because of the whole LE thing.

i'll eventually this up when i clear half of the games i have.

I'm trying out frontscreen-only control for the first time... it's like a whole different game. My right hand doesn't know what to do! D:

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Thinking about getting this game. I already have so many PS+ Vita games to play, though!

Any chance this will go on sale, physical or digital?

Top Bottom