• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Neiteio
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:00 PM)
Neiteio's Avatar
New news, new thread -- searched and didn't see anything outside the online co-op multiplayer thread:

As an American, I'm a tad jealous!
Santiako
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:00 PM)
Santiako's Avatar
Weird
SirIgbyCeaser
Banned
(01-25-2013, 09:01 PM)
SirIgbyCeaser's Avatar
Game will be awesome.
Josh7289
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:01 PM)
Josh7289's Avatar
Good! "Dark" is way, way overused in game titles.
Shaanyboi
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:01 PM)
Shaanyboi's Avatar
seems... pointless.
Bomber Bob
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:01 PM)
Bomber Bob's Avatar
i blame the pope
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
(01-25-2013, 09:02 PM)
Shard's Avatar
The title is a lot more lawyer friendly now.
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(01-25-2013, 09:02 PM)
Iacobellis's Avatar
Customers will probably get confused as all hell.
Anth0ny
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:03 PM)
Anth0ny's Avatar
Weird.

does dark moon mean something dirty in europe or something
botty
Disney Infinity is the greatest, most successful game ever made. I LOVE DISNEY INFINITY.
(01-25-2013, 09:03 PM)
botty's Avatar
Dark Moon is the better subtitle, and will be less intimidating to the people who haven't played the original Luigi's Mansion.
LuuKyK
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:03 PM)
LuuKyK's Avatar
Thats clever imo. I would buy Luigis Mansion 2 easier than Dark Moon if I were a clueless consumer.
Rm88~
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:03 PM)
Rm88~'s Avatar
I like it better than "Dark Moon". I'm jelly, Europe.
Sciz
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:03 PM)
Sciz's Avatar
This is what the game was originally announced as, if I'm not mistaken.
GhostTrick
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:03 PM)
GhostTrick's Avatar
Calling it Luigi's Mansion 2 is a better idea IMO. Make it feel like a sequel, not a spin off.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(01-25-2013, 09:03 PM)
IIRC it's always been Luigi's Mansion 2 outside the US. I don't remember any official material from elsewhere using the Dark Moon subtitle. It's still LM2 in Japan, as well.

Which is strange because the game was announced as Luigi's Mansion 2 at E3, an American event.
Hot Coldman
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:03 PM)
Hot Coldman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

Customers will probably get confused as all hell.

what

why
LonelyGreyWolf
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:05 PM)
LonelyGreyWolf's Avatar
Quite strange, but Nintendo has done this many times:

- Wario Land: The Shake Dimension (EU) vs Shake it (US)
- Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (EU) vs Days of Ruin (US)
etc.

Personally I'm indifferent about it, but that 2 look ugly.

Originally Posted by Anth0ny

does dark moon mean something dirty in europe or something

Of course not, what a silly conclusion.
Neiteio
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:05 PM)
Neiteio's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sciz

This is what the game was originally announced as, if I'm not mistaken.

You're correct, and your avatar is awesome.

I've come to accept Dark Moon, even though I like "2" better. The Dark Moon is a plot device in the game -- basically pacifies the ghosts, and when it breaks at the beginning of the game, they go crazy and Luigi has to suck 'em up.

Might work out better with the subtitle if they plan to make many more in the future.
Enduin
No bald cap? Lies!
(01-25-2013, 09:05 PM)
Enduin's Avatar
I like Dark Moon more. Numerical only titles bore me.
Anth0ny
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:09 PM)
Anth0ny's Avatar

Originally Posted by LonelyGreyWolf

Of course not, what a silly conclusion.

I seem to remember Dark Souls originally being called "Dark Ring", but the name was changed because it was a rude slang in Britain or something
klier
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:09 PM)
Good. Dark Moon was stupid to begin with
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(01-25-2013, 09:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Green Scar

what

why

They'll think it's just a spinoff buy the original Luigi's Mansion sitting right next to it on the shelf, obviously.
daxgame
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:10 PM)
daxgame's Avatar
well, I'm OK with this but... I'm not sure what the reason may be.
electroplankton
Banned
(01-25-2013, 09:15 PM)
electroplankton's Avatar
Incoming Nintendo Direct?
Tizoc
Junior M-
(01-25-2013, 09:22 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Well my brother's still getting it anyways.
I need to play the first game someday seeing as Luigi's my fav. of the bros =/
javac
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:28 PM)
javac's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shaanyboi

seems... pointless.

More like Dark Moon is pointless. Luigi's Mansion 2 is the official name in Europe and Japan as far as I'm aware, it was only changed to Dark Moon in America.
Chittagong
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:30 PM)
Chittagong's Avatar
It's pretty high praise for the dev that their game is accepted as a legit mainline entry in a NCL series, unprecesented perhaps. They did blow their schedule and budget though.
Diddy Kong
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:31 PM)
Diddy Kong's Avatar
I prefer 2. Congrats Europeans
daripad
Junior Member
(01-25-2013, 09:32 PM)
daripad's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enduin

I like Dark Moon more. Numerical only titles bore me.

This
t26
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:32 PM)
Why not luigi's mansion 2: dark moon? Best of both world?
Hero of Legend
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:33 PM)
Hero of Legend's Avatar
Some could argue against it being a 2 since it's by NLG, not the original team, Pikmin 3 however, very much is by the original folks and well deserving of the number.

Look at Yoshi's Island DS, originally had a 2, but most felt it was a huge letdown (didn't help that Artoon made it), so a 2 wouldn't have been deserved?

That's my view, yeah, I would've been cool and slightly prefer the 2, but I can see a good reason for the change, just weird that this is only for NA, hell it's where the game is being made (Canada).

Of course, the game is likely to be awesome and not the letdown YIDS was, so don't get me wrong. :P But the change in dev brings different style choices, look at the ghosts. Hell we don't even know if Totaka is back on board for the music.
slaughterking
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:33 PM)
slaughterking's Avatar

Originally Posted by Green Scar

what

why

see, now youre confused
jmls1121
Banned
(01-25-2013, 09:35 PM)
I am outraged.

But the game is only vaporware until it releases, so no big deal.
patrickthehedgehog
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:36 PM)
patrickthehedgehog's Avatar
Cute cover, but I prefer Dark Moon. It a least inspires thoughts of what the story might be like.

Also, Luigi's pores! Too close! *creeped out*
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(01-25-2013, 09:37 PM)

Originally Posted by jmls1121

I am outraged.

But the game is only vaporware until it releases, so no big deal.

Comes out in exactly two months, minus a day.
Balb
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:37 PM)
Balb's Avatar
I'm just kind of worried that the game will be "meh" in quality like Paper Mario Sticker Star. I hope they actually put some care into this game and that it's deserving of the "2" in its title.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(01-25-2013, 09:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Hero of Legend

Some could argue against it being a 2 since it's by NLG, not the original team, Pikmin 3 however, very much is by the original folks and well deserving of the number.

Look at Yoshi's Island DS, originally had a 2, but most felt it was a huge letdown (didn't help that Artoon made it), so a 2 wouldn't have been deserved?

That's my view, yeah, I would've been cool and slightly prefer the 2, but I can see a good reason for the change, just weird that this is only for NA, hell it's where the game is being made (Canada).

Of course, the game is likely to be awesome and not the letdown YIDS was, so don't get me wrong. :P But the change in dev brings different style choices, look at the ghosts. Hell we don't even know if Totaka is back on board for the music.

But it's still called Luigi's Mansion 2 in Japan... where the original team is...

Originally Posted by Balb

I'm just kind of worried that the game will be "meh" in quality like Paper Mario Sticker Star. I hope they actually put some care into this game and that it's deserving of the "2" in its title.

I feel confident in saying this game is going to be much better than Sticker Star and the original game. In Next Level I trust.
JohnnyWestlake
Junior Member
(01-25-2013, 09:38 PM)
I imagine there will be many people wondering when the first one came out. And if the Dark Moon subtitle actually has some relevance to the store, sucks to get rid of it.
noffles
Banned
(01-25-2013, 09:39 PM)
Renamed? Only the American name ever got changed. Nobody has ever changed 'Luigi's Mansion 2' over here, it's the American name that changed to Dark Moon.
Coolwhip
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:39 PM)
Coolwhip's Avatar
Now rename Wii U.
Hero of Legend
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:39 PM)
Hero of Legend's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrex

But it's still called Luigi's Mansion 2 in Japan... where the original team is...

True, it's conflicting. :(

Shame they can't just make a last minute change in NA back to 2.
axisofweevils
Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
(01-25-2013, 09:42 PM)
axisofweevils's Avatar
Weird choice.
Unless, of course, they're planning to re-release the original Luigi's Mansion on Wii U VC.
udivision
(01-25-2013, 09:43 PM)
udivision's Avatar

Originally Posted by Coolwhip

Now rename Wii U.

Wii Dark Moon?
Napalm_Frank
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:44 PM)
Napalm_Frank's Avatar
So when Luigis Mansion 3 comes out that will be 2 in the states?

FF all over again.
Green Mamba
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:46 PM)
Green Mamba's Avatar

Originally Posted by Balb

I'm just kind of worried that the game will be "meh" in quality like Paper Mario Sticker Star. I hope they actually put some care into this game and that it's deserving of the "2" in its title.

Hey, at the very least Next Level games didn't go out of their way to toss out everything that Luigi's Mansion was built on, so that's something.

EDIT:

"Does Luigi's Mansion really need ghosts" is something we won't be hearing in this game's Iwata Asks.
Last edited by Green Mamba; 01-25-2013 at 09:50 PM.
ffdgh
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:47 PM)
ffdgh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Napalm_Frank

So when Luigis Mansion 3 comes out that will be 2 in the states?

FF all over again.

No it won't be released out side of japan due to music copyright issues :P.
KillGore
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:48 PM)
KillGore's Avatar

Originally Posted by LuuKyK

Thats clever imo. I would buy Luigis Mansion 2 easier than Dark Moon if I were a clueless consumer.

Actually, I think that's the opposite. Not a lot of people want to buy a "sequel" without playing the original.
Last edited by KillGore; 01-25-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Hot Coldman
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:48 PM)
Hot Coldman's Avatar

Originally Posted by slaughterking

see, now youre confused

...shit
GAMERG0D
Member
(01-25-2013, 09:50 PM)
GAMERG0D's Avatar
Why would they do this? Seems pointless.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(01-25-2013, 09:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Napalm_Frank

So when Luigis Mansion 3 comes out that will be 2 in the states?

FF all over again.

They'll probably just give it a new subtitle, just like all the rest of their franchises.

Originally Posted by KillGore

Actually, I think that's the opposite. Not a lot of people want to buy a "sequel" without playing the original.

I believe that's the thinking, yes.

Thread Tools