• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Mercenary details from Polish magazine, showing back up next (this?) week

PSP had games with more than 8 players...

Games can have more than 8 for sure, doesn't mean it will work well with all types of games. A FPS especially is going to require much more accurate net coding to be actually good and run well. Most PSP titles with more than 8 were not FPS or had very simplified game systems that depended on stuff like auto aim to make up for it.

THE:MILKMAN

Amazing looking game from what is a 3-5 watt handheld. And lol at the "actual in-game footage" disclaimer. Killzone 2005 is going to haunt them forever.

I really do think Vita will benefit massively from having PS4 around.

Zen

Banned
I'm not concerned about 8 player multi t all. Killzone 3 online was a frantic mess with terrible level design, so having the KZ3 speed of gameplay toned down to 4v4 is actually something that might end up still having tactics and teamwork.

Hearing "For the perks" in that corny American voice made me die a little inside. With the reduced player count it seems like they are really chasing that CoD audience. Good for Vita owners if they are into that sort of thing, especially after the duds that have appeared on the console, but I don't really have high hopes for KZ4 now.

Musiol

So, I'll just drop it here:

• Full fledged single player campaing
  • We will visit places known previously from other games. GG will show us known mission from different perspective, eg. - operation Archangel from Killzone 2
  • Main character is Aaron Danner - mercenary working for fame and money. He's a member of colonial army and he'll be working both of ISA and Helgen. Who pays more - gonna get the job done. And yes, first time in the series we won't play as an ISA.
  • We will be rewarded with cash for completing the mission. We could spend this on a black market for buying new weapons, guns, gadgets (drones, energy shield, invicibility). It's expensive and short working - but rewarding and helpful.
  • Vanguard is the new system. You can see it on the left arm of Aaron. You can quick access shops and use special weapons touching it.
  • For multiplayer - 8 players, 3 modes (Warzone, Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch). Money earned from single player and guns are unlocked in multiplayer too.
  • There's a whole Contract system (just like in Hitman: Absolution). After finishing a mission, you can activate a contract and earn additional money.
  • As I wrote earlier - graphically is astonishig, best looking game on PSVita.
  • Touch controls (stealh kills, zooming with sniper rifle [it's optional, though], "waggle gimmicks" for aiming, but it's all well implemented and it isn't feel like they added it just to add anything.
  • September 2013.

source: http://www.ps3site.pl/killzone-najemnik-bedzie-najladniejsza-gra-na-playstation-vita/140923

Some screens (more at source link):

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_01.jpg

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_03.jpg

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_07.jpg

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_10.jpg

RoKKeR

So, I'll just drop it here:

• Full fledged single player campaing
  • We will visit places known previously from other games. GG will show us known mission from different perspective, eg. - operation Archangel from Killzone 2
  • Main character is Aaron Danner - mercenary working for fame and money. He's a member of colonial army and he'll be working both of ISA and Helgen. Who pays more - gonna get the job done. And yes, first time in the series we won't play as an ISA.
  • We will be rewarded with cash for completing the mission. We could spend this on a black market for buying new weapons, guns, gadgets (drones, energy shield, invicibility). It's expensive and short working - but rewarding and helpful.
  • Vanguard is the new system. You can see it on the left arm of Aaron. You can quick access shops and use special weapons touching it.
  • For multiplayer - 8 players, 3 modes (Warzone, Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch). Money earned from single player and guns are unlocked in multiplayer too.
  • There's a whole Contract system (just like in Hitman: Absolution). After finishing a mission, you can activate a contract and earn additional money.
  • As I wrote earlier - graphically is astonishig, best looking game on PSVita.
  • Touch controls (stealh kills, zooming with sniper rifle [it's optional, though], "waggle gimmicks" for aiming, but it's all well implemented and it isn't feel like they added it just to add anything.
  • September 2013.

source: http://www.ps3site.pl/killzone-najemnik-bedzie-najladniejsza-gra-na-playstation-vita/140923
Sounds great. Thanks for the info. Honestly can't wait for this game!

Darien

From KILLZONE Blog:

The floodgates have opened! Hands-on impressions from recent Killzone: Mercenary press events in Amsterdam, LA and Taipei have started appearing all over the web, and that means we can finally reveal additional details about the game. We also a brand-new trailer for you to enjoy here.
Killzone: Mercenary is a new first-person shooter in the Killzone series, developed specifically for the PlayStation Vita platform and powered by the stunning Killzone 3 engine. Starting just after the ending of the original Killzone, and revisiting many of the events from the Killzone trilogy, the game puts players in the rugged combat boots of a mercenary named Arran Danner. Danner is a former UCA-soldier who has no qualms about taking on paid contracts from the ISA as well as the Helghast.

When a seemingly routine mission to evacuate the Vektan Ambassador and his family in Pyrrhus goes awry, Danner discovers that the outcome of the war could very well depend on the fate of the Ambassador’s young son. With both sides going through increasingly desperate lengths to get hold of the boy, he begins to wonder whether the price of victory is really worth the paycheck.

Comprised of nine single-player missions — each nearly an hour in length— Killzone: Mercenary delivers a full Killzone experience in a portable package. Completed missions unlock additional replay challenges, with a host of special objectives to accomplish. The game also boasts a full-fledged multiplayer mode with six maps tailored for eight players and three different game types, including the popular Warzone mode.

In keeping with the soldier-for-hire theme, every action in Killzone: Mercenary is rewarded. The better you perform, the higher your payout - not just in the single-player campaign, but also in the multiplayer mode. The wages you collect are deposited into a single bank account, so the money you earn in the campaign missions can also be used to buy gear and weapons for multiplayer matches, and vice versa.

Killzone: Mercenary makes full use of the PlayStation Vita’s considerable input and graphics capabilities. It enhances the familiar dual-stick FPS control scheme with touch controls for actions such as brutal melee, and with tilt controls for accurate sniper aiming. The game even uses the powerful Killzone 3 engine to bring its massive environments and impressive set pieces to life. But don’t just take our word for it — watch the trailer, and check out these screen shots:

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_GB/blog/news/2013-01-31_killzone-mercenary.html

KalBalboa

Banned
Looks like another solid game. If they somehow hit 60 FPS people will go nuts.

Hell, they've got almost nine months to do just that.

Goldrusher

It looks like there will be some infighting? Or maybe just a helghan mercenary?
The premise:

Starting just after the ending of the original Killzone, and revisiting many of the events from the Killzone trilogy, the game puts players in the rugged combat boots of a mercenary named Arran Danner. Danner is a former UCA-soldier who has no qualms about taking on paid contracts from the ISA as well as the Helghast.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I've never played a Killzone game before. Is "heavy" on the same level of Battlefield multiplayer?
It's been a while since I've played KZ2/KZ3 beta and the only Battlefield game I've played is BC2, but from what I remember KZ2 was heavier than BC2 while KZ3 beta was lighter than BC2. Don't take my word as fact though, my memory is very fuzzy. I just remember hating the KZ3 beta cause of the mp changes and how light the characters felt compared to 2.

I-hate-u

No Greg Miller, the weight is what made Kz2 more fun . I was disappointed with how kz3 controls and weight of character felt

Chris_C

I'm fairly certain the trailer was encoded at 60fps, but that doesn't mean the game runs at that framerate. Frankly that'd be hard to believe (please be real).

Iacobellis

I'm fairly certain the trailer was encoded at 60fps, but that doesn't mean the game runs at that framerate. Frankly that'd be hard to believe (please be real).

I saw 60FPS with my own eyes. Encoding 30FPS gameplay at 60 wouldn't automatically make it run smoother.

Chris_C

I saw 60FPS with my own eyes. Encoding 30FPS gameplay at 60 wouldn't automatically make it run smoother.

To clarify, what I meant was that it was rendered at 60fps (from a dev kit), similar to that Eurogamer Uncharted 3 trailer. I'd love to hear the actual game runs at 60fps, but it seems highly unlikely given that even PS3 Killzone games don't run at that speed.

Iacobellis

Has Greg ever accounted the framerate for heaviness? CoD (on consoles) feels very light, whereas most other shooters feel like you are being weighed down.

Killthee

More from Miller:

Movement. Feels super-heavy. Like there's more gravity. RT @aegies: @GameOverGreggy it's "heavier" than killzone 2?

Map seems small. Maybe a bit too small? I respawned and had enemies run right into me once or twice.

Died a lot. Seemed like once a shot was fired by the enemy, dead by the third bullet. Hopefully, I can buy new armor.

Ok. #killzonemercenary single-player...

Mission I played started with me glide-suiting into Helghan. Needed to get their anti-air guns offline.

As the level was bigger than the MP map I played, graphics quality wasn't as pretty. Still a good looking game.

Good news: you can push forward on the stick and tap circle to run. Don't NEED to use back touch.

Bad news: even if you start melee with Triangle, you have to swipe screen to pull off kill. Like Golden Abyss system. Stupid touch stuff like tapping Triangle and then swiping down to pull lever exist here. Stop doing that, @playstation

He has a bunch more first impression tweets and is doing a Q&A right now... https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy

prwxv3

The only thing that sounds bad are the touch screen shit. Sounds better then Uncharted though. Hopefully they make them all optional.

Sophia

As long as the touch screen controls work then I'll be okay with them. Uncharted had this nasty problem where if you didn't do some of the touchscreen controls exactly as they wanted, it did nothing at all.

Killthee

As long as the touch screen controls work then I'll be okay with them. Uncharted had this nasty problem where if you didn't do some of the touchscreen controls exactly as they wanted, it did nothing at all.
Sounds like they've simplified them.

Seems like it's same instances but simpler. Rt @j_soltan: @GameOverGreggy More or less touch screen crap than Uncharted?

Has Greg ever accounted the framerate for heaviness? CoD (on consoles) feels very light, whereas most other shooters feel like you are being weighed down.
He mentioned the framerate was "smooth" and that the weight in KZ2 pre patch was perfect so it doesn't sound like a framerate issue.

Smooth. “@Thomas_Pollard: @GameOverGreggy hows the framerate?”

Pre-Patch. Agreed. “@PooWithEyes: @GameOverGreggy KZ2 pre-patch or post patch? Pre-patch was perfect.”

RiverBed

Banned
Killzone launching on any new system always makes me reevaluate the power potential of said system. This is seriously impressive.

Man I love Sony's 1st party talents!

Iacobellis

Sony should definitely do a multiplayer beta for this, preferably in June. That's when the LBP one went live, and it also came out in September.

Please, Sony?

Top Bottom