• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Glass Rebel
(01-30-2013, 12:38 PM)
First impulse is to get excited because it's a game set in ancient Egypt.

Then you realize that Ubisoft can't design open worlds or melee combat if their life depended on it.
Lime
(01-30-2013, 12:44 PM)
Setting is cool
Black protagonist is cool

Big muscles and killing aren't cool.
Gameplay will probably be AC platforming with God of War combat.

I'm on a wait and see approach.
Elios83
(01-30-2013, 02:45 PM)
Is the video legit?
I hope so considering that I'd really like a new IP from Ubisoft that can take the place of AC and also I love ancient Egypt as a setting. Would be really cool to see it announced for PS4/Xboxnext at E3.
Ashler
(01-30-2013, 02:49 PM)
Looks like God of War meets Assassins Creed.
Hindle
Banned
(01-30-2013, 02:56 PM)
This probably spawned from the rejected settings for AC 3.

I'm very sceptical though, Ubi can't make an open world game without dumbing the gameplay down so it becomes non existing. Ideally it will be The Sands of Times platforming with the first GOWs inventive level design.
shinobi602
Banned
(01-30-2013, 02:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Elios83

Is the video legit?
I hope so considering that I'd really like a new IP from Ubisoft that can take the place of AC and also I love ancient Egypt as a setting. Would be really cool to see it announced for PS4/Xboxnext at E3.

The game is real, so there's no reason to think the video is fake by any means.
XaosWolf
(01-30-2013, 02:59 PM)
PoP needs a vacation. Loved the style and fluidity of the 2008 overhaul, but the "Can't Die" mechanic should never have existed.

And if/when this game comes out, the OT needs to have "SLOW MOTION HERO" in there.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(01-30-2013, 03:10 PM)
I'll find a way to play this, need to see more

if a Black protagonist is true just tell me which console I need to buy
ironcreed
(01-30-2013, 03:15 PM)
Egypt, aye? I like it.
Captain Smoker
"Hey! What's your name
  then?"
"Mancomb Seepgood."
(01-30-2013, 03:19 PM)
Never heard of this.

Looks really nice.
LastNac
(01-30-2013, 03:21 PM)
I F*CKING LOVE EGYPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE THE DESERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always wanted an AC set in Egypt mostly just for the setting.

Hell, the other day I was posting about how I wanted God of War to deal with the Egyptian gods, again, mostly for the setting.

Oh yes, Ubi might be back on top as my favorite publisher next gen.
Elios83
(01-30-2013, 03:22 PM)

Originally Posted by shinobi602

The game is real, so there's no reason to think the video is fake by any means.

Yeah I was just reading a few of the comments stating that it's a fake, that there is a scene taken from 300 and bla bla.
But if the game has been shown to the press during last E3 then it's not fake.
BrokenEchelon
(01-30-2013, 03:24 PM)
Take my money Ubi.
dosh
(01-30-2013, 03:29 PM)

Originally Posted by The Crusty Juggler

This probably spawned from the rejected settings for AC 3.

I'm very sceptical though, Ubi can't make an open world game without dumbing the gameplay down so it becomes non existing.

That's the major issue with Ubi's open world games: they build cool places and don't really know what to do with them afterwards (I have yet to try FC3 though). But the egyptian setting got me curious, as well as the hero's look.
teeny
(01-30-2013, 03:29 PM)
Immediately thought of Stargate when the mask art/screen popped up.

Love a good old Ancient Egyptian setting, so can't wait to see some more of this.
GoddyofAus
Banned
(01-30-2013, 04:32 PM)
Taken from the PoP thread:

It has been far too long since Ancient Egypt was truly expanded upon and explored in the gaming industry. This looks amazing, even so early in development.

Count me as sold, Ubisoft, even though you're massive c**ts with your DRM.
Spring-Loaded
(01-30-2013, 04:34 PM)

Originally Posted by DatDude

Are we sure this is set in egypt? Why are there black people? I thought the people there were sun kissed arabian tan?

You know where Egypt is located, right? The time period this game takes place in makes sense for there to black people with dark skin. Don't let "Prince of Egypt" be your only surce of knowledge on this matter.
Last edited by Spring-Loaded; 01-30-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Nemesis_
(01-30-2013, 04:37 PM)
Guys is it not possible that this has just been retooled as this year's Assassins Creed game?
Ape Gone Insane
(01-30-2013, 04:42 PM)
What music track is that? Sounds like the main track from Sunshine.
Metal Gear?!
(01-30-2013, 04:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Spring-Loaded

You know where Egypt is located, right? The time period this game takes place in makes sense for their to black people with dark skin. Don't let "Prince of Egypt" be your only surce of knowledge on this matter.

Prince of Egypt had black people. You're thinking of The Ten Commandments perhaps?
GoddyofAus
Banned
(01-30-2013, 04:44 PM)
Sort of trailing off the comparisons to Stargate, what if this was a new I.P, set in Ancient Egypt but had some Sci-fi vibes/themes rolled into it? Not Stargate themes obviously, but fresh ideas.

I would jizz all over the fucking place.
Fine Ham Abounds
(01-30-2013, 04:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Spring-Loaded

You know where Egypt is located, right? The time period this game takes place in makes sense for their to black people with dark skin. Don't let "Prince of Egypt" be your only surce of knowledge on this matter.

Yeah, I vote to google Nubia.
GoddyofAus
Banned
(01-30-2013, 04:50 PM)
Is anyone able to turn that screenshot of the Osiris logo into a 1080P wallpaper? Would be much appreciated.
Jb
(01-30-2013, 04:56 PM)
Egypt would be really cool.

A PoP game actually set in Persia would be awesome too.
Quentyn
(01-30-2013, 07:24 PM)
Polygon has a statement from Ubisoft. The game is canceled.

Update: "The content in question was from a Ubisoft project that is no longer moving forward," a Ubisoft representative tells Polygon.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/29/393...s-leaked-video
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(01-30-2013, 07:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Quentyn

Huh, thanks.
Glass Rebel
(01-30-2013, 07:26 PM)

I guess they couldn't think of a way to make it an annual series.
Eideka
Banned
(01-30-2013, 07:27 PM)

Bummer.
Relaxed Muscle
(01-30-2013, 07:27 PM)
So both this and PoP game are canceled, or just this? or was this PoP game?....
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(01-30-2013, 07:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Relaxed Muscle

So both this and PoP game are canceled, or just this? or was this PoP game?....

Basically it goes as follows:

1.) Ubisoft was making a sequel to Prince of Persia 2008 that got cancelled.

2.) The team started on Prince of Persia Zero, a series reboot which also got cancelled.

3.) Around the time of Prince of Persia Zero, Ubisoft also started a new IP called Osiris that was sort of like Shadow of the Colossus meets God of War in Egypt.

4.) Sometime after Prince of Persia Zero's cancellation, they tried to turn Osiris into Prince of Persia Zero 2.

5.) The transition didn't go well, so they turned Prince of Persia Zero 2 back into Osiris.

6.) Osiris was cancelled sometime after E3.

Or, you know, your average Ubisoft production timeline. This is how they have 8000 employees and so little major AAA output. :P
GoddyofAus
Banned
(01-30-2013, 07:33 PM)

And just like that, Ubisofts reputation with me plummets back into the dark.
Verendus
(01-30-2013, 07:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Glass Rebel

I guess they couldn't think of a way to make it an annual series.

Ubisoft has a lot of concepts. Some get further along in development than others. They'll have something else to show other than AC, I'm sure.
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
(01-30-2013, 07:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Jay-B

Egypt would be really cool.

A PoP game actually set in Persia would be awesome too.

The PoP3D and PS2 trilogy were more Prince of Arabia/Andalusian Arabia.

I think the problem is ancient Persia is just not that cool of a setting,old arabian settings (including Egypt,Andalusia,Damascus) are way better.
Muzzy
(01-30-2013, 07:37 PM)
Cancelled? Why Ubisoft, the next-gen is coming it's time to bring some new IP and this Osiris looks well interesting to me.
StoppedInTracks
(01-30-2013, 07:37 PM)

Haha wow. And people were going "takemymoney.gif" in this thread. Such a weird discrepancy between forum reception to a title and I guess the execs one.
Relaxed Muscle
(01-30-2013, 07:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Nirolak

2.) The team started on Prince of Persia Zero, a series reboot which also got cancelled.

3.) Around the time of Prince of Persia Zero, Ubisoft also started a new IP called Osiris that was sort of like Shadow of the Colossus meets God of War in Egypt.

4.) Sometime after Prince of Persia Zero's cancellation, they tried to turn Osiris into Prince of Persia Zero 2.

5.) The transition didn't go well, so they turned Prince of Persia Zero 2 back into Osiris.

Or, you know, your average Ubisoft production timeline. This is how they have 8000 employees and so little major AAA output. :P

What a clusterfuck...

So they're really beating on Watchdogs to be their next big thing.

I still hope we can have PoP 2008 sequel sometime.
NotTheGuyYouKill
(01-31-2013, 12:08 AM)

Average worker must react like that.
AgentChris
(01-31-2013, 12:15 AM)
At least we have Watch_Dogs.
Kanyon
(01-31-2013, 12:20 AM)

They're making a Stargate game? About time a good development house got the IP to finally make Stargate into a good game!

On a serious note this looks really, really awesome... Such a shame that it was cancelled or is there still hope?

EDIT: Beaten so badly by V00K in fourth post!
Last edited by Kanyon; 01-31-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Beaten like a four year old in K-Mart
Zapages
(01-31-2013, 12:27 AM)

Here's the more fleshed out story:

1.) Ubisoft was making a sequel to PrinceofPersia 2008 that got cancelled. The remaining Parts of Prince of Persia 2008 sequel was used in Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands Wii.

2.) The team started on PrinceofPersia Zero 2, a series reboot which also got cancelled.

3.) Around the time ofPrinceofPersia Zero 2, Ubisoft also started a new IP called Osiris that was sort of like Shadow of the Colossus meets God of War in Egypt.

4.) Sometime after PrinceofPersia Zero 2's cancellation, they tried to turn Osiris into PrinceofPersia Zero 3. (But code named Zero 2 as it actually entered production) after Prince of Persia Zero(which was supposed to be a futuristic Prince of Persia, but was cancelled for Prince of Persia 2008).

5.) The transition didn't go well, so they turned PrinceofPersia Zero 2 back into Osiris. This is when Jordan Mechner said this was not new Prince of Persia.

boutrosinit
Street Fighter IV World Champion
(01-31-2013, 12:40 AM)
A shame. Would love an adventure / combat set in Ancient Egypt. Could be VERY nuts. Old Roman / Egypt aesthetic, mixed with old combat, magic and sic-fi.
Elios83
(01-31-2013, 12:43 AM)
What a disappointment, so basically this was a POP reboot as people speculated months ago.
But now that the POP series has been put on hold this is basically canceled.
What a shame. Still I hope they have new IPs for next gen consoles that the can take the place of the now boring, exhausted AC franchise.
Juan29.zapata
(01-31-2013, 12:52 AM)
If this got cancelled, I can only fear for 1666 and the other game that are in development in THQ Montreal.

Shame, it actually looked interesting. Man, they weren't kidding when they said PoP was resting. 3 PoP games cancelled in a row? Jesus H. Christ.
StalkerUKCG
(01-31-2013, 12:55 AM)
God of War Egypt sounds really good.

Everything about this looked interesting.
injurai
(01-31-2013, 01:30 AM)
The SINGLE game I have been wanting is something based on Ancient Egypt...

RA FUCKING DAMMIT UBI!!!
LastNac
(01-31-2013, 10:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Zapages

Here's the more fleshed out story:

1.) Ubisoft was making a sequel to PrinceofPersia 2008 that got cancelled. The remaining Parts of Prince of Persia 2008 sequel was used in Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands Wii.

2.) The team started on PrinceofPersia Zero 2, a series reboot which also got cancelled.

3.) Around the time ofPrinceofPersia Zero 2, Ubisoft also started a new IP called Osiris that was sort of like Shadow of the Colossus meets God of War in Egypt.

4.) Sometime after PrinceofPersia Zero 2's cancellation, they tried to turn Osiris into PrinceofPersia Zero 3. (But code named Zero 2 as it actually entered production) after Prince of Persia Zero(which was supposed to be a futuristic Prince of Persia, but was cancelled for Prince of Persia 2008).

5.) The transition didn't go well, so they turned PrinceofPersia Zero 2 back into Osiris. This is when Jordan Mechner said this was not new Prince of Persia.

So wait, there were three Prince of Persia Zeros? One was a futuristic setting?
slightconfuse
(01-31-2013, 11:00 PM)
that is disapointing
Red Liquorice
needs to check himself
(01-31-2013, 11:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Glass Rebel

First impulse is to get excited because it's a game set in ancient Egypt.

Then you realize that Ubisoft can't design open worlds or melee combat if their life depended on it.

Haha, sadly exactly my thoughts.
Arthursw1
(01-31-2013, 11:13 PM)

Originally Posted by LastNac

So wait, there were three Prince of Persia Zeros? One was a futuristic setting?

Yeah, now i understand why they said they will be making a pause on the Prince of Persia franchise, this game looked promising btw.
jett
(01-31-2013, 11:15 PM)
lol at this being cancelled. welp.