• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

claviertekky
(02-01-2013, 05:23 AM)
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...013/bill-gates

Discusses recent successes in his charity foundation, old days at Microsoft, and Steve Jobs's cool factor.
Last edited by claviertekky; 02-01-2013 at 05:34 AM.
claviertekky
(02-01-2013, 04:18 PM)
Sorry to bump. I thought there may be some people who would like to watch this short interview since we like to talk about tech figures a lot.
Paches
(02-01-2013, 04:19 PM)
Thanks for the bump, adding it to my list of stuff to check out.
thekonamicode
This is awesome, thanks for the bump!
tnaden
Such a cool guy, although a bit nerdy. ;)
Petrie
(02-01-2013, 04:21 PM)

Originally Posted by tnaden

Such a cool guy, although a bit nerdy. ;)

Gates always comes across as incredibly genuine, something I never felt Jobs could achieve.
tnaden
(02-01-2013, 04:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Petrie

Gates always comes across as incredibly genuine, something I never felt Jobs could achieve.

Oh don't get me wrong, I much prefer Gates to Jobs. I was referencing the interview.
bloodyroarxx
(02-01-2013, 04:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Petrie

Agreed
Dark Octave
Banned
(02-01-2013, 04:25 PM)
He kind of looks like John Stewart a little.

I'm afraid he will slide his chair back off that platform and fall. He looks like he's on the edge of it.
J. M. Romeo
(02-01-2013, 04:30 PM)
He looks world weary and super sincere.

What a cool guy.
Vyer
(02-01-2013, 04:37 PM)
Very cool.
Majine
(02-01-2013, 04:39 PM)
Here's to the geeks indeed.

A modern day hero, in my opinion.
The Wraith
(02-01-2013, 04:42 PM)
Bill Gates is the man
spandexmonkey
(02-01-2013, 04:47 PM)
Anyone have that graphic that outlines all the achievements Gates has had recently?
Majine
(02-01-2013, 04:50 PM)

Originally Posted by spandexmonkey

Anyone have that graphic that outlines all the achievements Gates has had recently?

Last edited by Majine; 02-01-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Tideas
Banned
(02-01-2013, 04:54 PM)
i wonder how many of those 7.6 million lives he saved went and died in another way, either through malnourishment, lack of clean water, or other causes.

Not saying what he's doing isn't awesome, but the people he's helping has a whole other structural problem in its existence
Concept17
(02-01-2013, 05:01 PM)
An amazing human. If only he would get rid of Ballmer.
dorkimoe
Banned
(02-01-2013, 05:06 PM)
He always has been a super nice guy. Love him. But am I the only one that wishes he would do more to help the united states? I mean dont get me wrong, he is doing amazing work...but we could use some help here. Then again we have a lot of people who would get the help through school and what not and still turn out to be terrible people
WhatRobEats
(02-01-2013, 05:07 PM)
We need a Colbert thread. Colbert convo's often spill over into the Daily show thread.

Someone that is able please make one. I can't because despite being here for almost 5 years I've suddenly become a JR that I have no idea why.
Hawkian
The Cryptarch's Bane
(02-01-2013, 05:08 PM)
The whole episode of colbert was quite good for those interested.
RukusProvider
(02-01-2013, 05:08 PM)
One of the most important people to have ever lived.
dorkimoe
Banned
(02-01-2013, 05:11 PM)
Also, I'm pretty sure if I was there I would have given him an applause for 10 minutes and they would have had to ask me to leave. I would have been yelling how much I love him
Synth_floyd
Banned
(02-01-2013, 05:13 PM)
Steve Jobs might've invented some cool computers but Bill Gates' philanthropy has literally saved millions of lives. Props to Bill.
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(02-01-2013, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Tideas

i wonder how many of those 7.6 million lives he saved went and died in another way, either through malnourishment, lack of clean water, or other causes.

Not saying what he's doing isn't awesome, but the people he's helping has a whole other structural problem in its existence

What exactly is the point of this post? Trying to illustrate that he wasted money saving people's lives because people can die of other things? Newsflash, everyone dies of something eventually.

Also, grammar.
Tideas
Banned
(02-01-2013, 05:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Timedog

What exactly is the point of this post? Trying to illustrate that he wasted money saving people's lives because people can die of other things? Newsflash, everyone dies of something eventually.

Also, grammar.

his month's better spent to build up the infrastructure. has a longer lasting effect
vicissitudes
(02-01-2013, 05:22 PM)

Originally Posted by dorkimoe

He always has been a super nice guy. Love him. But am I the only one that wishes he would do more to help the united states? I mean dont get me wrong, he is doing amazing work...but we could use some help here. Then again we have a lot of people who would get the help through school and what not and still turn out to be terrible people

Yes. People in third-world countries need a lot more help than those who live in the United States. The problems aren't remotely comparable.
Sailor
(02-01-2013, 05:25 PM)

his month's better spent to build up the infrastructure. has a longer lasting effect

really...you don't think before donating 28 BILLION dollars, he wouldn't have researched the most effective use of his money using his wisdom/resources??
Chichikov
(02-01-2013, 05:29 PM)

100%.
Everybody dies at the end.

What are you saying really?
Yeah, the Gates foundation is no going to solve all the problems in the world, but that means that they shouldn't tackle any?

The Gates foundation does a very serious analysis before deciding on what to focus, and FYI, they do project that falls under 'infrastructure'.
And for fuck's sake, they might eradicate polio, the 2nd disease ever to be eradicated, what's more important than that?
Protein
(02-01-2013, 05:30 PM)
I nominate Bill Gates and Dalai Lama for leaders of the world.
Zzoram
(02-01-2013, 05:33 PM)

Kids kinda have to not die of contagious vaccine-preventible diseases before they can benefit from infrastructure. Many of the vaccine-preventible diseases can be transmitted human-to-human and clean water and paved roads doesn't solve whooping cough.

Yes infrastructure is needed, but so are vaccines. Vaccines are also cheaper and easier. Nothing wrong with going after low hanging fruit, especially if he feels he can't trust the governments in developing countries to use his money responsibly to build infrastructure.
Winterfang
(02-01-2013, 05:38 PM)
Bill Gates is my favorite person of the world. I'm Glad I live in the world when someone like him exists. Now cure that Polio Gates =)
Raiden
prruuwuu
(02-01-2013, 05:39 PM)
I hope this man gets a statue in the nearby future. Probably the most underrated person in the world. Most people dont know what he does for the world.
Chichikov
(02-01-2013, 05:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Protein

I nominate Bill Gates and Dalai Lama for leaders of the world.

I much prefer my leaders to not be anointment by god (or whatever the official story about his selection is these days) to rule over men when they were kids.
Humanity have really bad track record with this model of ruling.
Bulbo Urethral Baggins
Benedict Arnold's 5th Cousin
(02-01-2013, 05:41 PM)
It's nice to see the love/respect for Gates seems to be returning. It hasn't always been that way.
DrMungo
(02-01-2013, 05:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Chichikov

100%.

Yeah, the Gates foundation is no going to solve all the problems in the world, but that means that they shouldn't tackle any?

The Gates foundation does a very serious analysis before deciding on what to focus, and FYI, they do project that falls under 'infrastructure'.
And for fuck's sake, they might eradicate polio, the 2nd disease ever to be eradicated, what's more important than that?

Who's your avatar?
phalestine
aka iby.h
(02-01-2013, 05:42 PM)

100%.

Just to clarify, it will be the 2nd disease effecting humans to be eradicated. Rinderpest was technically the 2nd.

A fun fact to know for those who didn't.
adamsappel
(02-01-2013, 05:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Winterfang

Bill Gates is my favorite person of the world. I'm Glad I live in the world when someone like him exists. Now cure that Polio Gates =)

In his early days as a billionaire, I found Gates to be a petulant greedy little shit. After leaving Microsoft and becoming a philanthropy king, he is an incredibly important, humble man. Kudos to him, he deserves more praise.
Chichikov
(02-01-2013, 05:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Bulbo Urethral Baggins

It's nice to see the love/respect for Gates seems to be returning. It hasn't always been that way.

I hope other billionaires see how he was able to rehabilitate his image (remember Anti Trust?) and follow suit.

Originally Posted by phalestine

Just to clarify, it will be the 2nd disease effecting humans to be eradicated. Rinderpest was technically the 2nd.

A fun fact to know for those who didn't.

I did not know that, and I'm looking forward to using that information :p.

Originally Posted by DrMungo

Who's your avatar?

Leah Goldberg.
Don't ask, I can barely remember myself why I picked that image.
Kabouter
When I was your age we didn't have fire
(02-01-2013, 05:52 PM)

Originally Posted by dorkimoe

Not to be rude, but saying stuff like this when he's working to cure things like polio and help people in the third world makes you look like a huge dick. The US is one of the richest per capita nations in the world, sure it has major problems, but (almost) every nation does. What Americans need, and I am in no way trying to minimize the struggle many Americans face every day in just getting by or providing for their children, is nothing compared to what the people he is mainly helping do need.
catfish
I have a foreskin yet I do not have AIDS
(02-01-2013, 05:52 PM)

they might eradicate polio, the 2nd disease ever to be eradicated, what's more important than that?

he said they will eradicate it in 6 years. Bill gates is never wrong.
freenudemacusers
(02-01-2013, 05:56 PM)

Originally Posted by adamsappel

In his early days as a billionaire, I found Gates to be a petulant greedy little shit. After leaving Microsoft and becoming a philanthropy king, he is an incredibly important, humble man. Kudos to him, he deserves more praise.

Pretty much. It's really weird to talk to people about him, most don't even know he left Microsoft. On one hand I wish he pushed his name out there more, but on the other hand, I kinda dig they he's letting the work do the talking.
AlucarD.eq
(02-01-2013, 05:56 PM)
Great interview. He in fact seem honest an genuine.
Chichikov
(02-01-2013, 05:58 PM)

Originally Posted by catfish

Don't count the CIA just yet!

For real, that story should stir more outrage.
Zzoram
(02-01-2013, 05:59 PM)

Originally Posted by catfish

It actually would've happened sooner if the CIA didn't fuck them over and embed a spy in a vaccine clinic that gave Muslim clerics the excuse to call vaccination programs a secret US sterilization program.
Jackben
(02-01-2013, 06:01 PM)
Gates is a hero and while Jobs seems to have captured the public interest more in his lifetime I doubt either of them were sunshine and daisies in their business dealings throughout their lives. They both changed computers in a lot of ways but for Gates that was only the start.

What really makes him shine is the fact that he has done so much with what he has created in order to help others. This is why he will be remembered as a man of great compassion. Yeah iPhones are a hoot but eradicating diseases is the kind of philanthropist and humanitarian work that really brings us together as a species.
Neffarias_Bredd
(02-01-2013, 06:08 PM)

I hope other billionaires see how he was able to rehabilitate his image (remember Anti Trust?) and follow suit.
I did not know that, and I'm looking forward to using that information :p.

Leah Goldberg.
Don't ask, I can barely remember myself why I picked that image.

I always wondered about that movie. I saw it for the first time a couple months ago, and the purposeful parallels between the movie company and Microsoft pretty much make bill gates out to be an evil murderer. How the hell did they get away with that? What was the public saying?
Rocket Scientist
(02-01-2013, 06:17 PM)

Don't count the CIA just yet!

For real, that story should stir more outrage.

Holy shit what idiots. Fucking cia just keeps one upping itself.
Chichikov
(02-01-2013, 06:23 PM)

Originally Posted by CracknutWhirrun

I always wondered about that movie. I saw it for the first time a couple months ago, and the purposeful parallels between the movie company and Microsoft pretty much make bill gates out to be an evil murderer. How the hell did they get away with that? What was the public saying?

I'm pretty sure that's intentional, and I don't know how much the general public was aware of those things, but Gates definitely was the go to bad guy through the 90s.
I wonder if Slashdot still have a picture of him in a borg suit for every MS related story.
I wonder if Slashdot is still alive.
But not enough to actually go to that den of misery and find out.

Originally Posted by Rocket Scientist

Holy shit what idiots. Fucking cia just keeps one upping itself.

They've been undermining American interests since their founding, but we mustn't know what they're doing, we must take them at their word, otherwise communists from Grenada are going to invade the US Red Dawn style.
We don't even know who made that decision so we can make sure they're never in a position of influence ever again.
Last edited by Chichikov; 02-01-2013 at 06:36 PM.
lightus
(02-01-2013, 06:31 PM)
I love the guy but he struck one of my pet peeves precisely.

"Phenooooomenally"

My aunt uses that adjective to describe everything and pronounces it the exact same way. erugherugh.
Spira
(02-01-2013, 06:53 PM)
I love the modest approach Gates brings to every question he is asked.