• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend added to Steam registry

Jintor

wat

wat

I wonder if it's the same situation as Costume Quest/Stacking where Double Fine retained an option on PC publishing rights (from what I recall)

Maybe the RTS segments will be a little more tolerable with mouse and keyboard?

Actually no, you spent most or all of your time sort of controlling Jack Black above the battlefield, so maybe not. Man that game was a letdown.

Tizoc

Note that Double Fine games are also available, DRM-free on gog.com

While I suck at RTS, I enjoyed Brutal Legend and liked how they turned a Metal fanbase and appreciation into an army.
Will prob. get it from gog.com if it gets on there~

tsab

damn that RTS segments were bad. I am stil stuck at the final battle. Will double fine dip if the rts battles are more playable.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Man that game was such a disappointment.

Honestly if you're curious just go play the demo, it doesn't get any better.

Aaron

Double Fine should REALLY play Guilty Gear 2 before putting this out. While not quite the same game, there's a ton of stuff that they could learn to improve their RTS with a controller experience. The main one adding a map where you can order troops around on.

Though I expect this to be just a straight port and basically unplayable with mouse / kb.

PaulloDEC

You'll only be disappointed if you don't get what you're expecting. I'm guessing about 90% of the backlash against Brutal Legend was a result of misleading marketing.

I knew what I was buying, and I f*cking loved it. The RTS segments weren't perfectly suited to the control setup they built, but the rest of the game more than made up for it. The storytelling, soundtrack, voice-acting, world-building, driving and hack-and-slashing was all top-notch IMO.

Pooya

maybe they change the RTS controls, really hated that. never finished it.

make it play in isometric view..

PaulloDEC

maybe they change the RTS controls, really hated that. never finished it.

make it play in isometric view..

As much as I understand why an isometric view makes more sense, one of the things I loved most was leading the fight from the trenches with my armies all around me. Seeing Eddie throw the horns above his head as he charged into a fight surrounded by headbangers... beautiful *tear*.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I can't say I cared for the RTS segments, however I had enough fun with the rest of the game to see it through to the end, and will happily snap up a belated PC version if the price is right.

This game fucking ruled through and through. It was like a Sacrifice-lite with great humour, art, and music. Mystifying that it's so underrated

danmaku

Fuuuuuuuuu I just bought the 360 version!

This game fucking ruled through and through. It was like a Sacrifice-lite with great humour, art, and music. Mystifying that it's so underrated

I don't think it's underrated. Presentation is fantastic, but the actual game goes from mediocre to terrible. If you like the theme (and I love it) it's still worth playing, if you don't it's better to stay away.

eXistor

I liked BL. Not quite the Tim Schafer classic I had in mind, but I enjoyed it nontheless. The RTS bits are just a small portion of the game and I found they hardly detract from the overall experience.

LuchaShaq

Banned
You'll only be disappointed if you don't get what you're expecting. I'm guessing about 90% of the backlash against Brutal Legend was a result of misleading marketing.

I knew what I was buying, and I f*cking loved it. The RTS segments weren't perfectly suited to the control setup they built, but the rest of the game more than made up for it. The storytelling, soundtrack, voice-acting, world-building, driving and hack-and-slashing was all top-notch IMO.

I knew it turned into an RTS, I just didn't know the "open world" was going to be small and boring, and that the RTS portions were going to be boring and control awfully. Not to mention the hack and slashing wasn't even as good as something as bad as dynasty warriors.

Oh man I really loved the console version. I'd double dip even if the keyboard/mouse controls are terrible. Give me high resolution, AA, steam achievements, and a 360 pad and I'll be a happy camper.

PaulloDEC

I knew it turned into an RTS, I just didn't know the "open world" was going to be small and boring, and that the RTS portions were going to be boring and control awfully. Not to mention the hack and slashing wasn't even as good as something as bad as dynasty warriors.

I couldn't get enough of the open-world to be honest. Loved tearing around the place in my car, finding all the Bound Dragons, Hidden Metal and Lightning Plugs, doing the point-to-point races, etc.

The RTS stuff definitely could've used refining, notably the controls; I had quite a bit of trouble sending specific groups. As for the hack'n'slashing, I was probably overzealous calling it top-notch. In the context of the game, I liked it though.

Just for the occasion:

uql.gif

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

Your taste in gaming from what I've gathered over the past year is quite shocking compared to my own tastes, so there is a high chance that I will enjoy Brutal Legend for what it is.

This is the game that single-handedly put a stop to me ever going on media blackouts in anticipation of a new game. First time I genuinely got so excited about a game that I decided to completely ignore absolutely everything that was released about it, because I was so sure it was going to be incredible.

Rushed down on day 1 to pick up my pre-order. Few hours later I'd given up and returned the game.

From now on I make sure to know basically everything about any game before I purchase it.

Nokterian

This is good news,still have the xbox version but i will buy it a second time if the price is right. Also the soundtrack was amazing.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Awesome

I'd love to buy this game cheap and play it without the ridiculous input lag.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Seriously: I don't get the RTS sequences hate.

If anything, at least for me, it was a very grateful surprise that kept the game from being an open-world hack'n'slash. It made something good way better. Awesome game.

Not sure if I'll double dip, though. I don't do that much.

Note that Double Fine games are also available, DRM-free on gog.com

While I suck at RTS, I enjoyed Brutal Legend and liked how they turned a Metal fanbase and appreciation into an army.
Will prob. get it from gog.com if it gets on there~

Same for me, I'll definitely rebuy it if it's on GOG with some nice extras!

Top Bottom