• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Eusis
(02-04-2013, 03:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Misguided

Kinda doubt Halo 3 being Win8 exclusive, given Valve's stance on Win8.

Could see it being Vista/7 exclusive just because fuck it. And Halo 2 keeps its Vista exclusivity (though god damn just go to 7 already at least).
Rickenslacker
(02-04-2013, 03:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Eusis

Could see it being Vista/7 exclusive just because fuck it. And Halo 2 keeps its Vista exclusivity (though god damn just go to 7 already at least).

Huh? Halo 2 was only Vista exclusive at the time because of DX10, you can play it on W7.
Ysiadmihi
(02-04-2013, 03:57 AM)
Is Fez coming to Steam really that weird? I thought it was pretty much guaranteed.
SparkTR
(02-04-2013, 03:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Loch Doun

Before Steambox, this would make sense.
After the announcement of Steambox, this doesn't make a lot of business sense for Microsoft.
I call bogus.

It won't run on Steambox if it is Linux-based. But you're right, if a 'Halo Trilogy' Steam pack was being made, the Steambox might have ended it due to Microsoft's competitiveness. Regardless, if this is true, there was/is a Halo 3 PC under development that could be released for Windows 8 Store.

Also, can somebody explain why these community hubs are just being noticed now? Are they being created for an impending/confirmed release, or is it all automatic?
Fodder76
(02-04-2013, 03:59 AM)
That's not fair, Halo didn't go through Greenlight.
speedpop
Has problems recognising girls
(02-04-2013, 04:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Ysiadmihi

Is Fez coming to Steam really that weird? I thought it was pretty much guaranteed.

A lot of it has to do it previous commentary from Phil Fish and the spite that it induces in many gamers who simply want to rub his nose in it. They would rather agitate the issue to feel highly of themselves due to the slightly controversial nature of its development history and external factors surrounding it, rather than swallow a pill and play the game.
paperboywriter
(02-04-2013, 04:20 AM)

Originally Posted by InsaneZero

1 is more likely than Microsoft approving Halo for Steam.

well fable 3 was approved for steam. and alan wake.
zychi
(02-04-2013, 04:24 AM)
any chance, since xbox is basically a closed down version of windows, that the next xbox is more open, and something like steam or origin may be allowed on it? with backwards compatibility and a more open(but still super closed) structure occurring?
EatinOlives
Harass A Bull?
Report to HR.
(02-04-2013, 04:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Fodder76

Wouldn't have to if Microsoft is the publisher.
Stallion Free
Cock Encumbered
(02-04-2013, 04:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Rickenslacker

Huh? Halo 2 was only Vista exclusive at the time because of DX10, you can play it on W7.

IIRC, Halo 2 used a DX9 renderer.
Grief.exe
Don't stop believin'~~~ hold on to the feeling
(02-04-2013, 04:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Ysiadmihi

It was.

Microsoft published XBLA titles actually have pretty good policies. Short timed exclusive, then can be ported.

Fez and Dust are coming very soon.
ThatsMytrunks
(02-04-2013, 04:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Fodder76

At first I laughed, and then I became quickly sad realizing my game will never make it through greenlight.
shaowebb
The Keeper and Holy Guardian of Captain Badass
(02-04-2013, 04:35 AM)
I really hope KoF XIII , 02UM, and 98UM all get good netcode via steam. Good God 13 with good netcode would be insanely hype for me. I only have 2 people I can play with and its only when one of us has a day off which means its far and in between. Thing is all of us are definitely hooked and in the lab when we are apart though as we are all seeing improvements with our cast each time we meet up.

If we could just play online it'd be soooooooo much better for us all. We could play more than just lab warrior most of the time.
voodoopanda
(02-04-2013, 04:44 AM)
I'd immediately buy all three of those KoF games if they came out. 98um, 02um and XIII on Steam with good netcode would be the greatest. Love those games.
TouchMyBox
(02-04-2013, 04:59 AM)

Originally Posted by paperboywriter

well fable 3 was approved for steam. and alan wake.

Alan Wake was self-published on PC.

Halo 1 isn't odd at all to be showing up on steam, really.

Halo 2 is a little weird because they just killed the servers.

Halo 3 is pretty weird because it actually requires some effort.

Originally Posted by Grief.exe

It was.

Microsoft published XBLA titles actually have pretty good policies. Short timed exclusive, then can be ported.

Fez and Dust are coming very soon.

Is there actually a source on Dust? I did some googling the other day for info about a PC release and found nothing.
HoosTrax
(02-04-2013, 05:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Misguided

Kinda doubt Halo 3 being Win8 exclusive, given Valve's stance on Win8.

Unlikely imho. They don't let Mac-only games on Steam, and the install base for W8 on Steam is about as minute, compared to XP + W7.
Apexhell
KOF and halo 3 i would buy them day 1
I H8 Memes

Originally Posted by Rickenslacker

Halo 2 was Vista exclusive because MS intentionally made a single map load in a way that Win XP wouldn't be able to handle. IIRC Win XP could handle loading in 64 bit chunks so they made 1 of the chunks from the Gravemind level 65 bits big. Just 1 single piece just to be able to say it wouldn't run on XP.

I may be misspeaking on the exact technical details, but that is pretty much what they did. It was hacked to work in XP in a day though.
DocSeuss

Originally Posted by JaseC

And yet no classic Age of Empires. :( Rise of Rome itself even works just fine* on Win7 x64!

* Well, you have to kill explorer.exe to remove the "confetti" which is otherwise peppered throughout the water tiles. But other than that, it's perfect.

I thought this was an Age of Empires 2 issue, not an Age of Empires: Rise of Rome issue.

Age of Empires (original) is running just fine for me. Been playing it more than anything else the past week.
Stallion Free
Cock Encumbered
(02-04-2013, 05:03 AM)
I hope that if they are porting Halo 3 that they also crack open the code for Halo 1 and code proper widescreen hud elements in and throw in online co-op.

I will pay good money for these ports and I would be shocked if they didn't jet to the topsellers immediately.
Exuro
(02-04-2013, 05:03 AM)

Originally Posted by HoosTrax

Unlikely imho. They don't let Mac-only games on Steam, and the install base for W8 on Steam is about as minute, compared to XP + W7.

Yes they do. http://store.steampowered.com/app/214630/
HoosTrax
(02-04-2013, 05:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Exuro

Yes they do. http://store.steampowered.com/app/214630/

I'm not talking about Steamplay / non-Steamplay. There's clearly a separate Windows version of BLOPS.
Grief.exe
Don't stop believin'~~~ hold on to the feeling
(02-04-2013, 05:15 AM)

Originally Posted by TouchMyBox

Is there actually a source on Dust? I did some googling the other day for info about a PC release and found nothing.

Not totally official yet, but you know its coming.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen..._coming_to_pc/

More: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2517
HoosTrax
(02-04-2013, 05:19 AM)
What Dust game are people talking about? Googling "dust game" is...unhelpful...note to devs, pick a Google-able subtitle please. Assume we're not talking about From Dust. The EVE Online spinoff Dust 514?

edit: nvm, just checked the link above :s
Robot Pants
(02-04-2013, 05:21 AM)
Half-Life 3 shown up yet?
Truespeed
(02-04-2013, 05:28 AM)
Microsoft releasing their worthwhile Game IP on their own platform? Lies, I tell you!
Rickenslacker
(02-04-2013, 05:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Stallion Free

IIRC, Halo 2 used a DX9 renderer.

Originally Posted by I H8 Memes

Halo 2 was Vista exclusive because MS intentionally made a single map load in a way that Win XP wouldn't be able to handle. IIRC Win XP could handle loading in 64 bit chunks so they made 1 of the chunks from the Gravemind level 65 bits big. Just 1 single piece just to be able to say it wouldn't run on XP.

I may be misspeaking on the exact technical details, but that is pretty much what they did. It was hacked to work in XP in a day though.

Ah, interesting. I remember some fiddling being done to get it on XP, but I don't think it allowed for multiplayer. Knowing that's the entire extent they went to make it not work on XP now makes the exclusivity seem even dumber. To think they thought it had that much pull.
Tenck
(02-04-2013, 05:36 AM)
I'd buy and gift Halo 3 if it came to PC.
cuc
(02-04-2013, 05:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Forkball

Other weird stuff.

Civ V - Frankenstein

"Frankenstein" is the code name of their community tester group. It's also been leaked a week ago a new Civ5 expansion pack is in the works.
TucoBenedictoPacifico
(02-04-2013, 05:52 AM)

Originally Posted by cuc

"Frankenstein" is the code name of their community tester group. It's also been leaked a week ago a new Civ5 expansion pack is in the works.

So, another confirmation about how most of the stuff in that list could be legit.
Excellent.
The Phantomnaut
(02-04-2013, 06:17 AM)
I really hope KOF98UM is based on Final Edition.
catabarez
(02-04-2013, 06:21 AM)
I would Day wheneverIgetmynextpaycheck these games so hard.
alstein
(02-04-2013, 06:22 AM)

Originally Posted by shaowebb

I really hope KoF XIII , 02UM, and 98UM all get good netcode via steam. Good God 13 with good netcode would be insanely hype for me. I only have 2 people I can play with and its only when one of us has a day off which means its far and in between. Thing is all of us are definitely hooked and in the lab when we are apart though as we are all seeing improvements with our cast each time we meet up.

I think we'd get the best netcode if SNKP provides none and the community does it instead.
Jotamide
Banned
(02-04-2013, 06:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Judderman

If KOFXIII shows up on Steam with playable netcode, I will dance in the streets.

Fix'd for ya.
iavi
(02-04-2013, 06:26 AM)
I think its all real. Every mention. There's nothing on there that's wack to the point of being impossible, just a lot of stuff that we never thought probable, already confirmed, or hinted at.

I'll buy so much of that list when it comes to fruition.
InPlosion
(02-04-2013, 06:33 AM)
I wish valve or microsoft would just come out and say something, just to put our restless souls at ease, for the good or the worse.
Toa TAK
(02-04-2013, 06:34 AM)
Halo on steam would be for me!
Omega Rex
(02-04-2013, 06:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Eideka

I don't think I'm being foolish when I say that there is no point in porting such an old game on PC.

You're saying there would be no point in porting the second best playable Halo game online? What's the alternatives? Halo 1 PC, Halo Reach or Halo 4?

LOL

Halo 1 PC is the only one worth playing. You couldn't pay me to play Reach or 4.

There are still non-xbox gamers that have an interest in Halo. It's stupid that it would take them 6 years to port it, but not pointless.
Teknopathetic
Not even moist right now.
(02-04-2013, 06:58 AM)
"The King of Fighters games all run on Windows XP-based arcade hardware as it is, so cleaning them up to make barebones PC versions wouldn't be that difficult."

This is the case for almost all current fighting games except namco ones (that run on modified PS3s) and VF which runs on PC hardware, but runs something like a Linux-based embedded OS.
Touch
(02-04-2013, 06:59 AM)
dude id play some halo pc i remember when that was a thing
FGMPR
(02-04-2013, 06:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%BCtal_Legend
https://twitter.com/Dracogen/status/297914878151249920
http://cdr.xpaw.ru/sub/19259/

it's been 3 and a half years, the company has made dozens more games, the publisher considers the game a dead letter, etc etc

I linked that exact thing in the OP!

Viking: Battle for Asgard is another example. A 2008 console game finally getting a PC DD release almost 5 years later.
Tain
(02-04-2013, 07:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Teknopathetic

"The King of Fighters games all run on Windows XP-based arcade hardware as it is, so cleaning them up to make barebones PC versions wouldn't be that difficult."

This is the case for almost all current fighting games except namco ones (that run on modified PS3s) and VF which runs on PC hardware, but runs something like a Linux-based embedded OS.

Actually, wonderfully, as of Final Showdown VF runs on the Windows-based RINGEDGE hardware.
Omega Rex
(02-04-2013, 07:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Stallion Free

I don't get why you are so against games coming to other platforms. Literally every game should be on PC.

what makes it worse is that he wants Gears 2 ported instead.

the worst game of a trilogy that's 5 years old is somehow a good thing.

Gears 2 makes Reach look like [insert what you think the best FPS ever is] for those who haven't played it and Reach is worse than MW2. Nothing is good about this game, even the menu sucks.
TucoBenedictoPacifico
(02-04-2013, 07:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Clint Beastwood

Gears 2 makes Reach look like [insert what you think the best FPS ever is] for those who haven't played it and Reach is worse than MW2. Nothing is good about this game, even the menu sucks.

Never bothered trying it, but considering the fierce dislike I had for the first one, I don't have a hard time believing you.
GoW as a saga is *completely* unappealing to me, while I enjoyed Halo to a reasonable extent.
Teknopathetic
Not even moist right now.
(02-04-2013, 07:17 AM)
"Actually, wonderfully, as of Final Showdown VF runs on the Windows-based RINGEDGE hardware."

Sega's done really well recently with PC gaming, I hope they port, but they won't even port Border Break.
Ysiadmihi
(02-04-2013, 07:23 AM)
I thought Gears 3 was the one that everyone agreed sucked.

I didn't like it at least. Bullet sponges were no fun to shoot after playing Binary Domain.
Vagabundo
(02-04-2013, 07:26 AM)

Originally Posted by ThatsMytrunks

At first I laughed, and then I became quickly sad realizing my game will never make it through greenlight.

Why ever not? That looks awesome. And there are plenty of retro looking games on Steam; VVVVV, cave story, etc.
exmachina64
(02-04-2013, 07:38 AM)

Originally Posted by InPlosion

I wish valve or microsoft would just come out and say something, just to put our restless souls at ease, for the good or the worse.

Me too.
JaseC
(02-04-2013, 07:38 AM)

Originally Posted by DocSeuss

I thought this was an Age of Empires 2 issue, not an Age of Empires: Rise of Rome issue.

Age of Empires (original) is running just fine for me. Been playing it more than anything else the past week.

Well, the two share the same engine, so it should come as no surprise that the issue affects both.
Last edited by JaseC; 02-04-2013 at 07:47 AM.
TucoBenedictoPacifico
(02-04-2013, 07:42 AM)
On a side note, spotting The Witness on that list made me go to check the development blog and... Damn, looks like the game is shaping up quite finely:

"Current puzzle count: 505." - Jonathan Blow

Last edited by TucoBenedictoPacifico; 02-04-2013 at 10:06 AM.