• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom FY2012 3Q results: RE6 at 4.8m, RE5 at 6m

cvxfreak

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e130204b.html

Capcom Co., Ltd. would like to announce that net sales increased to 72,699 million yen (up 44.6% from the same term last year) in the 9 months of fiscal year ending March 31, 2013. As for profits, operating income increased to 9,838 million yen (up 45.9 % from the same term last year), and ordinary income increased to 10,054 million yen (up 72.6 % from the same term last year). Net income for the current period increased to 6,645 million yen (up 104.9 % from the same term last year).

- Resident Evil 6: 4.8 million (up from 4.5 million initial shipment -- New RE6 Forecast: 5 million)

Capcom: "the flagship title "Resident Evil 6" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), despite recording brisk sales when it debuted, subsequently lost its momentum, resulting in the failure to achieve planned sales and fulfill its role as a driver of sales expansion."

- Resident Evil 5: 6 million (up from 5.9 million)

- DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

- Dragon's Dogma: 1.3 million (up from 1.2 million)

- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U and 3DS (budget) were also very successful.

- Resident Evil 5 Pachinko Slot Machine in Japan: 35,000 units sold

- Dead Rising 2: 2.5 million (up from 2.4 million)

- Devil May Cry 4: 2.7 million (up from 2.6 million)

Busaiku

Does Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate have paid online in Japan?
It'd be weird otherwise if they considered that successful.

Takao

Banned
Dragon's Bomba?

RE6 starting strong, to slow end isn't shocking given the reception to that game. Poor word of mouth will do that.

ezekial45

Banned
Not too bad. DD did very well in JPN, and I'm glad it wasn't a total bust in the west. I'm glad they're sticking with it.

guek

Banned
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U and 3DS (budget) were also very successful.

P5Z5Mqz.gif

gives me hope for an HD Wii U port of MH4

Good to see RE 5 and 6 shipment figures. If it shows anything, it seems that RE 6 will likely reach at least 6 million, if Capcom releases a expansion pack to it like RE 5: Gold Edition.

Sandfox

What was the amount of copies of RE6 that Capcom wanted to sell again?

I doubt that project cost them much money.

ezekial45

Banned
I really need to get dragons dogma
Any input on which version is best?
Wait for Dark Arisen in April. It's pretty much the GOTY version, and it including the new expansion. It's $40, but you're pretty much getting everything.

Dragon's Bomba?

RE6 starting strong, to slow end isn't shocking given the reception to that game. Poor word of mouth will do that.

They expected 1.5 mill for DD. So it's just about to reach there it seems. Especially withe DA release coming.

Its an early port to a new system. Its done alright for what it is. They'll be looking to throughtout the year I suspect though.

-Cwalat-

Resident Evil 6 must have had some serious production costs for it to be a failure in sales when it has reached close to 5 million sold copies.

Perfect example of why this franchise doesn't need Michael Bay influenced gameplay scenes.

guek

Banned
man, makes me wonder what the chances of a true, ground up HD Monster Hunter reveal at E3 or TGS are.

A fan can dream...

The 4.8M is likely disappointing... because a crap load of them are sitting in storehouses or on shelves - so they aren't going to ship any more. And there are probably buyback arrangements for some of them.

cvxfreak

The 4.8M is likely disappointing... because a crap load of them are sitting in storehouses or on shelves - so they aren't going to ship any more. And there are probably buyback arrangements for some of them.

Yeah -- look at how RE5 shipped another 100,000 nearly 4 years onward.

ezekial45

Banned
Ouch.

Well at least they can say it exceeded sales expectations a year from now.

Probably. I just wished they bothered to market the game post launch. It had less of a marketing budget than DMC4 did, and they could've done with an extra push afterwards. DD had a bigger marketing push than DmC did.

BadAss2961

Probably. I just wished they bothered to market the game post launch. It had less of a marketing budget than DMC4 did, and they could've done with an extra push afterwards. DD had a bigger marketing push than DmC did.
It certainly didn't feel like it.

I don't remember tv spots for any of those games. But DmC was all over the internet pre-launch.

Good to see RE6 do well enough.

Amazing how much of an increase over last year basically because of RE. Capcom will not let their money maker fall apart. The next RE will be pretty incredible.

ezekial45

Banned
It certainly didn't feel like it.

I don't remember tv spots for any of those games. But DmC was all over the internet pre-launch.

Post-launch. Dragon's Dogma had TV spots and such. DmC (besides the JPN one) did not in the west.

What I'm getting at is that the reboot was supposed to have a bigger push, ideally anyway. But it didn't. To me, it just makes it look like they couldn't get over the stigma and sent it out quietly.

What I think personally, and as much as I want to be wrong, they knew the game wouldn't do as well as they hoped, took away most of the marketing budget, and sent it out quietly -- so they can rebound with DMC5.

man, makes me wonder what the chances of a true, ground up HD Monster Hunter reveal at E3 or TGS are.

A fan can dream...

That ship has sailed away when chances of PS3/PSV crosplay MH4 dropped to zero.
Next chance 2017 when Nintendo has new handheld and Wii U is still on market.

AHA-Lambda

Can someone tell me why Dragon's Dogma in considered a success when it was apparently the most expensive production in Capcom's history? WTF happened there?

Don't believe that at all.

DMC4 didn't have any cinema advertising (which trust me is extremely expensive), it didn't have it's own app, it wasn't promoted in YouTube and adsense advertising, it wasn't used as wallpaper in digital storefronts in the weeks up to release, wasn't carted to every trade show possible and live streamed etc.

What probably happened here is DmC had the bulk of its marketing money spent before release. When the money men saw that it wasn't providing a decent return in preorders, they cut the marketing budget.

I'm convinced they have already spent more on marketing this game than DMC4.

What would help the title now is a soft relaunch at a lower price, a SE edition of you will. That maybe what's on the cards. By now, the word of mouth from those who do like the game would far outstrip the hate from the hardcore. I'd say capcom lost about 33% of the DMC4 market but they gained at least 20% with a price cut they could potentially gain another 20-25%

I'm still very surprised that RE5 actually did that well. Being this gen's best traditional co-op game probably boosted its chances among the dudebro Live userbase. It's probably one of my favorites in the series now because of it.

DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

Cloudy with a chance of bomba. I still find it hilarious that they thought they could get away with 5 million at one point.

ezekial45

Banned
Don't believe that at all.

DMC4 didn't have any cinema advertising (which trust me is extremely expensive), it didn't have it's own app, it wasn't promoted in YouTube and adsense advertising, it wasn't used as wallpaper in digital storefronts in the weeks up to release, wasn't carted to every trade show possible and live streamed etc.

What probably happened here is DmC had the bulk of its marketing money spent before release. When the money men saw that it wasn't providing a return in preorders, they cut the marketing budget.

I'm convinced they have already spent more on marketing this game than DMC4.

Nope, it was smaller than DMC4's.

Christian Svensson, Capcom’s SVP of consumer software, in fact disputed the idea that DmC had a larger marketing budget than Devil May Cry 4. “I won’t get into exact numbers but I also believe your statements about PD or marketing budgets between DMC4 and DmC to not be factually correct (details of which I doubt IR would ever make public since we never disclose exact title level budgets for anything),” he told a fan who asked about sales.

That said, I'm really happy you perceive the DmC marketing budget to be "much, much larger". :)
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...9632635/regarding-dmc-sales&pg=last&528145063

If movie ads are expensive as you say they are, then they must've spent a bunch of their budget on that.

BadAss2961

Post-launch. Dragon's Dogma had TV spots and such. DmC (besides the JPN one) did not in the west.

What I'm getting at is that the reboot was supposed to have a bigger push, ideally anyway. But it didn't. To me, it just makes it look like they couldn't get over the stigma and sent it out quietly.

What I think personally, and as much as I want to be wrong, they knew the game wouldn't do as well as they hoped, took away most of the marketing budget, and sent it out quietly -- so they can rebound with DMC5.
As much as i'd love for you to be right, I think you're just assuming the worst. They put all they could into marketing this game. Probably to the point where they shot their wad early and just didn't have anything post-launch.

b. Furthermore, "Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) G HD Ver.", our first title for the new console "Wii U", which was launched in December 2012, also became a smash hit.

WOW, that's extremely high praise I never would've expected. o_O

You motherfuckers need to buy dragon dogma that's all. I'm sure lots of people will come in here because its RE so you'll be reading this but DD is one of the best games last year and deserves way more sales.

Buy the dark arisen version of DD when it hits.

A fan can dream...

Monster Hunter is primarily a Japanese IP if I recall, so I doubt we'll hear much at e3. Maybe TGS. But since they're releasing MH4 soon, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Top Bottom