• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
(02-04-2013, 09:21 AM)
cvxfreak's Avatar
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/n.../e130204b.html

Capcom Co., Ltd. would like to announce that net sales increased to 72,699 million yen (up 44.6% from the same term last year) in the 9 months of fiscal year ending March 31, 2013. As for profits, operating income increased to 9,838 million yen (up 45.9 % from the same term last year), and ordinary income increased to 10,054 million yen (up 72.6 % from the same term last year). Net income for the current period increased to 6,645 million yen (up 104.9 % from the same term last year).

- Resident Evil 6: 4.8 million (up from 4.5 million initial shipment -- New RE6 Forecast: 5 million)

Capcom: "the flagship title "Resident Evil 6" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), despite recording brisk sales when it debuted, subsequently lost its momentum, resulting in the failure to achieve planned sales and fulfill its role as a driver of sales expansion."

- Resident Evil 5: 6 million (up from 5.9 million)

- DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

- Dragon's Dogma: 1.3 million (up from 1.2 million)

- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U and 3DS (budget) were also very successful.

- Resident Evil 5 Pachinko Slot Machine in Japan: 35,000 units sold

- Dead Rising 2: 2.5 million (up from 2.4 million)

- Devil May Cry 4: 2.7 million (up from 2.6 million)
Last edited by cvxfreak; 02-04-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Busaiku
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:22 AM)
Busaiku's Avatar
Does Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate have paid online in Japan?
It'd be weird otherwise if they considered that successful.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(02-04-2013, 09:22 AM)
Takao's Avatar
Dragon's Bomba?

RE6 starting strong, to slow end isn't shocking given the reception to that game. Poor word of mouth will do that.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(02-04-2013, 09:23 AM)
ezekial45's Avatar
Not too bad. DD did very well in JPN, and I'm glad it wasn't a total bust in the west. I'm glad they're sticking with it.
Robot Pants
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:23 AM)
Robot Pants's Avatar
I really need to get dragons dogma
Any input on which version is best?
guek
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:24 AM)
guek's Avatar

Originally Posted by cvxfreak

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U and 3DS (budget) were also very successful.



gives me hope for an HD Wii U port of MH4
DarkLordMalik
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:24 AM)
DarkLordMalik's Avatar
Good to see RE 5 and 6 shipment figures. If it shows anything, it seems that RE 6 will likely reach at least 6 million, if Capcom releases a expansion pack to it like RE 5: Gold Edition.
Sandfox
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:24 AM)
Sandfox's Avatar
What was the amount of copies of RE6 that Capcom wanted to sell again?

Originally Posted by Busaiku

Does Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate have paid online in Japan?
It'd be weird otherwise if they considered that successful.

I doubt that project cost them much money.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(02-04-2013, 09:25 AM)
ezekial45's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robot Pants

I really need to get dragons dogma
Any input on which version is best?

Wait for Dark Arisen in April. It's pretty much the GOTY version, and it including the new expansion. It's $40, but you're pretty much getting everything.

Originally Posted by Takao

Dragon's Bomba?

RE6 starting strong, to slow end isn't shocking given the reception to that game. Poor word of mouth will do that.

They expected 1.5 mill for DD. So it's just about to reach there it seems. Especially withe DA release coming.
Tratorn
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:25 AM)
Tratorn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Busaiku

Does Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate have paid online in Japan?
It'd be weird otherwise if they considered that successful.

Well, it was probably really cheap to produce, so it can be a success.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(02-04-2013, 09:26 AM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Takao

Dragon's Bomba?

Indeed; it was at 1m ~7 months ago.

Originally Posted by ezekial45

They expected 1.5 mill for DD. So it's just about to reach there it seems. Especially withe DA release coming.

That's a far cry from the pie-in-the-sky 10m, and the game spent a few years in development with Capcom's then-largest development team (which explains why Capcom was wishing for 10m).
Last edited by JaseC; 02-04-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Glass Rebel
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:26 AM)
Glass Rebel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sandfox

What was the amount of copies of RE6 that Capcom wanted to sell again?

First 7m then 6m afaik.
Devilgunman
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:27 AM)
Devilgunman's Avatar
They didn't disclose sales number for MH Ultimate? I remembered it didn't sell that well in Japan.
bloodyroarxx
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:27 AM)
bloodyroarxx's Avatar
blows my mind that 4.8 million is not good enough, but I can only imagine the development costs of it.
grimshawish
Banned
(02-04-2013, 09:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Busaiku

Does Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate have paid online in Japan?
It'd be weird otherwise if they considered that successful.

Its an early port to a new system. Its done alright for what it is. They'll be looking to throughtout the year I suspect though.
-Cwalat-
Junior Member
(02-04-2013, 09:29 AM)
-Cwalat-'s Avatar
Resident Evil 6 must have had some serious production costs for it to be a failure in sales when it has reached close to 5 million sold copies.

Perfect example of why this franchise doesn't need Michael Bay influenced gameplay scenes.
cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
(02-04-2013, 09:29 AM)
cvxfreak's Avatar
DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units
michaelius
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Devilgunman

They didn't disclose sales number for MH Ultimate? I remembered it didn't sell that well in Japan.

Well it's best selling 3rd party game on Wii U in Japan - or rather the only one selling ;)
guek
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:35 AM)
guek's Avatar
man, makes me wonder what the chances of a true, ground up HD Monster Hunter reveal at E3 or TGS are.

A fan can dream...
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(02-04-2013, 09:35 AM)
ezekial45's Avatar

Originally Posted by cvxfreak

DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

Well that's certainly depressing.

EDIT: And how the hell is ORC still selling?
ThoughtsOfSpeaking
But not of thinking first
(02-04-2013, 09:37 AM)
ThoughtsOfSpeaking's Avatar

Originally Posted by cvxfreak

DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

Ouch.

Well at least they can say it exceeded sales expectations a year from now.
Devilgunman
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:37 AM)
Devilgunman's Avatar

Originally Posted by guek

man, makes me wonder what the chances of a true, ground up HD Monster Hunter reveal at E3

Not gonna happen.
shinra-bansho
Definitely Not Y2Kev's Alt Account
(02-04-2013, 09:37 AM)
shinra-bansho's Avatar
The 4.8M is likely disappointing... because a crap load of them are sitting in storehouses or on shelves - so they aren't going to ship any more. And there are probably buyback arrangements for some of them.
paradise_circus
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:38 AM)
paradise_circus's Avatar
re6 is a really great game, imo. the cutscenes and plot are bullshit, though.
dragon's dogma's sales makes me sad :(
cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
(02-04-2013, 09:39 AM)
cvxfreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinra-bansho

The 4.8M is likely disappointing... because a crap load of them are sitting in storehouses or on shelves - so they aren't going to ship any more. And there are probably buyback arrangements for some of them.

Yeah -- look at how RE5 shipped another 100,000 nearly 4 years onward.
ShineALight
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:42 AM)
ShineALight's Avatar

Originally Posted by guek

man, makes me wonder what the chances of a true, ground up HD Monster Hunter reveal at E3 or TGS are.

A fan can dream...

Close to zero.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(02-04-2013, 09:44 AM)
ezekial45's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThoughtsOfSpeaking

Ouch.

Well at least they can say it exceeded sales expectations a year from now.

Probably. I just wished they bothered to market the game post launch. It had less of a marketing budget than DMC4 did, and they could've done with an extra push afterwards. DD had a bigger marketing push than DmC did.
BadAss2961
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:49 AM)
BadAss2961's Avatar

Originally Posted by ezekial45

Probably. I just wished they bothered to market the game post launch. It had less of a marketing budget than DMC4 did, and they could've done with an extra push afterwards. DD had a bigger marketing push than DmC did.

It certainly didn't feel like it.

I don't remember tv spots for any of those games. But DmC was all over the internet pre-launch.
MiamiWesker
(02-04-2013, 09:49 AM)
MiamiWesker's Avatar
Good to see RE6 do well enough.

Amazing how much of an increase over last year basically because of RE. Capcom will not let their money maker fall apart. The next RE will be pretty incredible.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(02-04-2013, 09:51 AM)
ezekial45's Avatar

Originally Posted by LeBrick James

It certainly didn't feel like it.

I don't remember tv spots for any of those games. But DmC was all over the internet pre-launch.

Post-launch. Dragon's Dogma had TV spots and such. DmC (besides the JPN one) did not in the west.

What I'm getting at is that the reboot was supposed to have a bigger push, ideally anyway. But it didn't. To me, it just makes it look like they couldn't get over the stigma and sent it out quietly.

What I think personally, and as much as I want to be wrong, they knew the game wouldn't do as well as they hoped, took away most of the marketing budget, and sent it out quietly -- so they can rebound with DMC5.
Last edited by ezekial45; 02-04-2013 at 09:56 AM.
michaelius
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:53 AM)

Originally Posted by guek

man, makes me wonder what the chances of a true, ground up HD Monster Hunter reveal at E3 or TGS are.

A fan can dream...

That ship has sailed away when chances of PS3/PSV crosplay MH4 dropped to zero.
Next chance 2017 when Nintendo has new handheld and Wii U is still on market.
daxgame
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:59 AM)
daxgame's Avatar
sad for Dragon's Dogma. :/
AHA-Lambda
Member
(02-04-2013, 09:59 AM)
AHA-Lambda's Avatar
Can someone tell me why Dragon's Dogma in considered a success when it was apparently the most expensive production in Capcom's history? WTF happened there?
Last edited by AHA-Lambda; 02-04-2013 at 01:50 PM.
ThoughtsOfSpeaking
But not of thinking first
(02-04-2013, 09:59 AM)
ThoughtsOfSpeaking's Avatar

Originally Posted by ezekial45

Probably. I just wished they bothered to market the game post launch. It had less of a marketing budget than DMC4 did, and they could've done with an extra push afterwards. DD had a bigger marketing push than DmC did.

Don't believe that at all.

DMC4 didn't have any cinema advertising (which trust me is extremely expensive), it didn't have it's own app, it wasn't promoted in YouTube and adsense advertising, it wasn't used as wallpaper in digital storefronts in the weeks up to release, wasn't carted to every trade show possible and live streamed etc.


What probably happened here is DmC had the bulk of its marketing money spent before release. When the money men saw that it wasn't providing a decent return in preorders, they cut the marketing budget.

I'm convinced they have already spent more on marketing this game than DMC4.

What would help the title now is a soft relaunch at a lower price, a SE edition of you will. That maybe what's on the cards. By now, the word of mouth from those who do like the game would far outstrip the hate from the hardcore. I'd say capcom lost about 33% of the DMC4 market but they gained at least 20% with a price cut they could potentially gain another 20-25%
Last edited by ThoughtsOfSpeaking; 02-04-2013 at 10:03 AM.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(02-04-2013, 10:00 AM)
ezekial45's Avatar

Originally Posted by AHA-Lambda

Can someone tell me why Dragon's Dogma in considered a success when it was apparently the most expensive production in Capcom's history? WTF happened there?

Mostly this.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479872

The game was a best seller in Japan.
sleepykyo
Member
(02-04-2013, 10:02 AM)
sleepykyo's Avatar

Originally Posted by cvxfreak

DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

Where is that from? I can't find it in the link from op (maybe my eyes are just too tired).
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/n.../e130204b.html
I NEED SCISSORS
Banned
(02-04-2013, 10:02 AM)
I'm still very surprised that RE5 actually did that well. Being this gen's best traditional co-op game probably boosted its chances among the dudebro Live userbase. It's probably one of my favorites in the series now because of it.

Originally Posted by cvxfreak

DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

Cloudy with a chance of bomba. I still find it hilarious that they thought they could get away with 5 million at one point.
Biggzy
Member
(02-04-2013, 10:02 AM)
Biggzy's Avatar

Originally Posted by AHA-Lambda

Can someone tell me why Dragon's Dogma in considered a success when it was apparently the most expensive production in Capcom's history? WTF happened there?

Doesn't RE6 hold that title?
KillerTravis
Banned
(02-04-2013, 10:03 AM)

Originally Posted by michaelius

That ship has sailed away when chances of PS3/PSV crosplay MH4 dropped to zero.
Next chance 2017 when Nintendo has new handheld and Wii U is still on market.

From my understanding Wii U/3DS can do that crossplay thing.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(02-04-2013, 10:03 AM)
ezekial45's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThoughtsOfSpeaking

Don't believe that at all.

DMC4 didn't have any cinema advertising (which trust me is extremely expensive), it didn't have it's own app, it wasn't promoted in YouTube and adsense advertising, it wasn't used as wallpaper in digital storefronts in the weeks up to release, wasn't carted to every trade show possible and live streamed etc.


What probably happened here is DmC had the bulk of its marketing money spent before release. When the money men saw that it wasn't providing a return in preorders, they cut the marketing budget.

I'm convinced they have already spent more on marketing this game than DMC4.


Nope, it was smaller than DMC4's.

Christian Svensson, Capcom’s SVP of consumer software, in fact disputed the idea that DmC had a larger marketing budget than Devil May Cry 4. “I won’t get into exact numbers but I also believe your statements about PD or marketing budgets between DMC4 and DmC to not be factually correct (details of which I doubt IR would ever make public since we never disclose exact title level budgets for anything),” he told a fan who asked about sales.

That said, I'm really happy you perceive the DmC marketing budget to be "much, much larger". :)

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capc...last&528145063

If movie ads are expensive as you say they are, then they must've spent a bunch of their budget on that.
Last edited by ezekial45; 02-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.
BadAss2961
Member
(02-04-2013, 10:03 AM)
BadAss2961's Avatar

Originally Posted by ezekial45

Post-launch. Dragon's Dogma had TV spots and such. DmC (besides the JPN one) did not in the west.

What I'm getting at is that the reboot was supposed to have a bigger push, ideally anyway. But it didn't. To me, it just makes it look like they couldn't get over the stigma and sent it out quietly.

What I think personally, and as much as I want to be wrong, they knew the game wouldn't do as well as they hoped, took away most of the marketing budget, and sent it out quietly -- so they can rebound with DMC5.

As much as i'd love for you to be right, I think you're just assuming the worst. They put all they could into marketing this game. Probably to the point where they shot their wad early and just didn't have anything post-launch.
Hero of Legend
Member
(02-04-2013, 10:03 AM)
Hero of Legend's Avatar

b. Furthermore, "Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) G HD Ver.", our first title for the new console "Wii U", which was launched in December 2012, also became a smash hit.

WOW, that's extremely high praise I never would've expected. O_o
Pachterballs
Banned
(02-04-2013, 10:04 AM)
Pachterballs's Avatar
You motherfuckers need to buy dragon dogma that's all. I'm sure lots of people will come in here because its RE so you'll be reading this but DD is one of the best games last year and deserves way more sales.

Buy the dark arisen version of DD when it hits.
Jarmel
place a shoe on my head
to reduce lag compensation
(02-04-2013, 10:05 AM)
Jarmel's Avatar

Originally Posted by cvxfreak

DMC: Devil May Cry forecast: 1.2 million units

Well it wasn't a complete fiasco I guess.
Hero of Legend
Member
(02-04-2013, 10:05 AM)
Hero of Legend's Avatar
Do we know what the forecast was for MH3G HD?
Riposte
Member
(02-04-2013, 10:05 AM)
Riposte's Avatar
I wonder how RE5 being free on PS+ relates to those figures.
Domstercool
Member
(02-04-2013, 10:07 AM)
Domstercool's Avatar

Originally Posted by cvxfreak

Yeah -- look at how RE5 shipped another 100,000 nearly 4 years onward.

So this figures are shipped figures? And not like, say, Steam sales?
bdizzle
Tom
(02-04-2013, 10:07 AM)
bdizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by guek

man, makes me wonder what the chances of a true, ground up HD Monster Hunter reveal at E3 or TGS are.

A fan can dream...

Monster Hunter is primarily a Japanese IP if I recall, so I doubt we'll hear much at e3. Maybe TGS. But since they're releasing MH4 soon, I wouldn't hold my breath.
I NEED SCISSORS
Banned
(02-04-2013, 10:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Riposte

I wonder how RE5 being free on PS+ relates to those figures.

iirc it had already shipped 5 million only a few weeks after release, becoming the best selling in the series ahead of RE2.
IdreamofHIME
Member
(02-04-2013, 10:09 AM)
IdreamofHIME's Avatar
RE6 Gold will push it past RE5.

Thread Tools