• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

You sure, are in luck:

Next big update:

So it's saying that they had to change up their design philosophy when developing TW3, due to the open world structure. So NARRATIVE comes in three forms:

Lowest level = free form activities like crafting, monster slaying (seems to be much more extensive this time around) and questing.

Next level = Political situation of Nilfgaardian invastion is resolved through a core plotline for each area. These areas? -> Skellige, Novigrad and No Mans Land!

Final level = Geralt's main plot line, his search for his loved ones, and the chase of the Wild Hunt.

Sounds like a lot of interwoven plotlines, decision making. You can skip things if you really want, but there will be consequences to your actions if you do so.

So as its open world and not chapter base, its probable we can visit some of the thinks in between. This means that you would probably visit things like Oxenfurt (the university city near Novigrad, and even places from Temeria and Cintra (Ciri was the princess of Cintra before they were attacked by Nilfgaard). No Mans Lands suppossedly is at the right of the map, next to the Solveiga Pass (Fire Mountains and Korath Desert not included in this map becuase its behind the key). And I suppose the game will finish in Nilfgaard.
This is a map of what the game could cover (The first game took part in a very small part of Temeria, near Wyzima, while the second game took part on the middle north of the map):
thewitcher3map3ekep.jpg

Doomrider

Don't think there would be much color after a town's been burning. The artwork reminds me of TW1 artwork which is nice.

The reason I'm worried is exactly because it reminds me of the first Witcher. That game was boring as hell, visually. If TW2 is any indication, they'd find a way to make it colorful. About the only part that I remember having more subdued colors was the prologue dungeon, and even then...

Maybe it's the artwork. Now that I think about it, I never saw too much TW2 artwork, so maybe it had the same style.

Kinyou

World supposedly 20% bigger than Skyrim's
30-40 minutes to cross world on Horseback
New streaming technology (CDRED Engine 3)
Geralt's Memory is restored
No chapters/acts
Dude is fucking DONE fighting for everyone else
Everything from solving MYSTERIES to slaying monsters
Coming out on "all top-of-the-line" consoles - I'd say that confirms next-gen is in.
bartwoah2ziqak.gif

So more about the monster hunting:

Clues build up information (like a Bestiary perhaps?)
Books garner information about monsters
Townsfolk provide information
Potions and such are important
Time of day and other conditions affect where monsters appear, and their abilities

[Some combat info]

Critical strikes in areas that matter depending on how much you learn about said monster
You can disable a vampires poisoning attack by hitting its venom gland (Vampires are poisonous?) or skewer BOTH ITS HEARTS with a thrust attack (instant kill)
Monsters drop loot like unobtainable alchemical and crafting ingredients for unique potion, mutagen and item crafting.
Provides income as well

You sure, are in luck:

Next big update:

So it's saying that they had to change up their design philosophy when developing TW3, due to the open world structure. So NARRATIVE comes in three forms:

Lowest level = free form activities like crafting, monster slaying (seems to be much more extensive this time around) and questing.

Next level = Political situation of Nilfgaardian invastion is resolved through a core plotline for each area. These areas? -> Skellige, Novigrad and No Mans Land!

Final level = Geralt's main plot line, his search for his loved ones, and the chase of the Wild Hunt.

Sounds like a lot of interwoven plotlines, decision making. You can skip things if you really want, but there will be consequences to your actions if you do so.

Zinio, is what I use, and they sent me my update tonight that my copy was ready to read. Digital.

I'm glad their defining this early this time around...I feel like this is where they really failed to frame in Witcher 2. There was too much emphasis in the political intrigue that it became front and center which wasn't CDPR's intent (hence the weirdly anticlimactic ending). Geralt was after the kingslayer to clear his name....defining the fate of a kingdom merely serves as a process in which to better his own situation rather than "save the world."

Time of day and other conditions affect where monsters appear, and their abilities

[Some combat info]

Critical strikes in areas that matter depending on how much you learn about said monster
You can disable a vampires poisoning attack by hitting its venom gland (Vampires are poisonous?) or skewer BOTH ITS HEARTS with a thrust attack (instant kill)
Monsters drop loot like unobtainable alchemical and crafting ingredients for unique potion, mutagen and item crafting.
Provides income as well

Sounds amazing, sign me up!

Exuro

The one thing I'm going to be concerned about, especially since it's going open world, is balance. I really hope they nail that this time. TW2 went from a challenging prologue/first act to god mode in the 2/3 act.

MormaPope

Banned
Only thing to really be worried about story wise is who the antagonist is going to be, Letho was a pretty damn good villain. Haven't read the books so I have no clue who will be the antagonist.

[Some combat info]

Provides income as well

Gosh, this sounds so cool. I always thought gathering info about monsters before slaying them was a great but underdeveloped concept in The Witcher 2. This seems so much more fleshed out. I'm so excited!

Only thing to really be worried about story wise is who the antagonist is going to be, Letho was a pretty damn good villain. Haven't read the books so I have no clue who will be the antagonist.

Specifically, we may not know for a while. Obviously the wild hunt will play a pivotal role in this, as he is out to seek Yennefer. The game is giving me a vibe similar to the first game. Yes there was a main antagonist, but there were so many little parts that came together in the end. Plus Geralt is roaming the land, so it may be more about his experiences therein.
Sex cards where in the first game becuase they didnt do scenes. By having scenes now, theres no need for sex cards.

I love what im hearing of doing monster quests and learning just like in the Witcher 1. 2 tried to simplify that and wasnt as inmersive.

Of course, I don't really mind anyway. The scenes are very cool. But they made a point in the article to make sure people knew that they weren't coming back. HA!

Any word on importing a save game from The Witcher 2 or how they'll deal with your past choices?

If its still set in the Northern Kingdoms, I'd imagine they'd have to address some of the things you could have possibly done during TW2. Or I guess they could pull a Shani and write certain things off.

Hystzen

Nope...it's an amazing one if you've played the previous 2. Wild hunt is a central plot to Geralt...moreso than Nilfgaard vs the other kingdoms...

But that one's for monsters....

The subtitle could also mean Geralts hunt for Yennefer so it double meaning

Specifically, we may not know for a while. Obviously the wild hunt will play a pivotal role in this, as he is out to seek Yennefer. The game is giving me a vibe similar to the first game. Yes there was a main antagonist, but there were so many little parts that came together in the end. Plus Geralt is roaming the land, so it may be more about his experiences therein.

Of course, I don't really mind anyway. The scenes are very cool. But they made a point in the article to make sure people knew that they weren't coming back. HA!

And probably Nilfgaard is a major enemy aswell.

BTW, any info about Ciri or Jeneffer Indigo?

Top Bottom