• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

Enemy AI completely rebuilt, scripted bosses out
Environmental combat 'contributions' (a dozen types of interactive objects)
---> Wasp hive irritated using Aard

Magical signs retooled
Igni = new flamethrower effect
The magic tree advancement allows secondary sign forms = ie. Igni and a 360-degree blast
Yrden = small trap can be modified into a larger field that slows any enemy

Other trees, Swordsmanship and Alchemy
New strikes under Swordsmanship, boosts like improved stamina and parrying
Mutation mechanic under a different development path
Not much information given about Alchemy path, other than it being based on potions

Horse could be used to access long term stash, as well as Inns
Team aware of frustrations of inventory management in The Witcher
Committed to a less tedious process

Crafting critical to maximize Geralts potential, but weapons and armor can be found in many ways
Players can customize their crafted weapons with some components, ie, monster scales for leather in armor

Each armor piece has unique appearance, new cloth simulation tech.
Barber is in from the get go. Dyeing hair is OUT OF QUESTION, White Wolf.

Where did OP get "20% bigger than Skyrim" from?

I may have clarified. It's in the beginning of the article. The quote is: "The team is challenging itself with the task of creating an open world the team has measured at 20% larger than Skyrim's."

BTW here are all the cover in high resolution of the spanish books. Truly fantastic stuff.
Characters are in order: Geralt, Jeneffer, Jaskier (Dandelion), Ciri, Maria Barring alias Milva, Regis Rohellec Terzieff-Godefroy, Cahir, Triss
ultimodeseo_gr.jpg
Alamut_Espadadestino.jpg
9788498890075.jpg

tiempoodio_gr.jpg
bautismofuego_gr.jpg
Alamut_Torregolondrina.jpg

la-dama-del-lago-1-9788498890389.jpg
damalago2_gr.jpg

Geralt actually has super senses. It makes sense within the context of the game.

If I remember correctly, Geralt's medallion vibrated in the first game when you were near points of interest and/or danger. So they were already doing a very primitive detective mechanic back then.

woober

Each armor piece has unique appearance, new cloth simulation tech.
Barber is in from the get go. Dyeing hair is OUT OF QUESTION, White Wolf.

Cloth tech on top of their already intricate clothing design? I... I dont think I can go on much longer without seeing this...

In terms of combat, I hope they don't make it so roll intensive. Swordplay should be a more back and forth/parry counter feel which is what I thought they were aiming for...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Could not possibly be more excited for this. Best new franchise of the century, and I would rank TW2 as the best RPG of the generation. CDPR are development heroes in my book.

The collection awaits. Room for one more. (Quoted for size.)

I'm confused by the whole enemies not scaling, and being able to complete the game without doing side quests? Won't that mean you are potentially super over/under powered by the end?

Very glad to see this.

Hmmm, not sure what this means exactly, but I hope they avoid QTEs for things like boss fights.

I too would prefer if bosses could only be beaten through combat. A mix between Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus would make this the perfect game for me.

I have my concerns about the open world but I couldn't be more excited about seeing how they pull it off. If the game looks as good or better than the Witcher 2 and is a giant seamless open world with as much attention to detail, I'll be completely blown away. Most of the points being mentioned from the article make it sound absolutely incredible. The scope of this project sounds insane. 2014 release?

Noema

Next big update:

So it's saying that they had to change up their design philosophy when developing TW3, due to the open world structure. So NARRATIVE comes in three forms:

Lowest level = free form activities like crafting, monster slaying (seems to be much more extensive this time around) and questing.

Next level = Political situation of Nilfgaardian invastion is resolved through a core plotline for each area. These areas? -> Skellige, Novigrad and No Mans Land!

Final level = Geralt's main plot line, his search for his loved ones, and the chase of the Wild Hunt.

Sounds like a lot of interwoven plotlines, decision making. You can skip things if you really want, but there will be consequences to your actions if you do so.
Quote:
So more about the monster hunting:

Clues build up information (like a Bestiary perhaps?)
Books garner information about monsters
Townsfolk provide information
Potions and such are important
Time of day and other conditions affect where monsters appear, and their abilities

[Some combat info]

Critical strikes in areas that matter depending on how much you learn about said monster
You can disable a vampires poisoning attack by hitting its venom gland (Vampires are poisonous?) or skewer BOTH ITS HEARTS with a thrust attack (instant kill)
Monsters drop loot like unobtainable alchemical and crafting ingredients for unique potion, mutagen and item crafting.
Provides income as well

Faint.gif

Any word on importing a save game from The Witcher 2 or how they'll deal with your past choices?

If its still set in the Northern Kingdoms, I'd imagine they'd have to address some of the things you could have possibly done during TW2. Or I guess they could pull a Shani and write certain things off.

Mmm, speaking of Shani, maybe she appaears in Oxenfurt this time (its where she appears first in the books).

Really? Then who?

Probably Ciri,
Geralt's "adopted" daughter in the books with Jeneffer, former princess of Cintra before it was attacked by Nilfgaard, she was taught in the witcher arts to defend herself, a major character in the books
. And the hair in the art is blonde, not white.

MormaPope

Banned
If enemies don't scale doesn't that kinda make it hard to explore the world without getting destroyed?

You'll need to get stronger by killing weaker or more even leveled enemies or play much harder to progress through those areas. Ya know, challenge and progression.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Could not possibly be more excited for this. Best new franchise of the century, and I would rank TW2 as the best RPG of the generation. CDPR are development heroes in my book.

The collection awaits. Room for one more. (Quoted for size.)

Incredibly jealous of that collection!

Top Bottom