• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

Lime

Now this is what I am talking about:

We do not want a producer from company X, Y, Z sitting here and telling us ""Geralt? Grey Hair? That sucks." The only people who should tell us how the game should look like should be consumers.

Other companies should take note.

Derrick01

Banned
Could definitely be true- if it's handled like Witcher 2, then certain quest lines will be closed off depending on your decisions so one playthrough could be half or less than half...

If they're talking about a hundred hours just for quests though that leads me to believe it'll have a lot of shitty MMO-ish quests. It's just not feasible to actually write that many hours of detailed and well done quests.

If they're talking about a hundred hours just for quests though that leads me to believe it'll have a lot of shitty MMO-ish quests. It's just not feasible to actually write that many hours of detailed and well done quests.

Witcher 2 was billed as 50-60 hours of content. But Act 2 split it up (two entirely different main and side quests) such that you don't see half of it (so technically you get to that number with two play throughs). I suspect that's what we're going to get.

gdt

Geez a lot of this looks good. Dunno if I like the sound of the size of the world. I love the structure of TW2. I find if hard to believe we'd get more areas as packed and as awesome as Flotsam if the world is as big as Skyrim this time :/.

But in CDPR I trust!

raphier

Banned
I am really intrigued about the details provided, especially the return of fetch guests, but am I the only one not feeling it? I am actually disappointed by this new direction of open-world system. I do love open-world games, but I am not feeling it here.

I actually prefer more narrative driven semi-open approach and don't want to be travelling 20+ minutes to get to some place or fast-travel bazillion times between two cities or roam the wild for 50 useless minutes to get some monster that doesn't change any side quests. I mean my problem is, it's too open.

I have already exhausted my craving for open-world exploration with Skyrim. Don't think will play any such games for couple of years.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

You negative nancy. I agree...

Lime

Based on what they mention in that Game Informer interview, it really is tragic that highly marketed big budget RPGs like Dragon Age or Skyrim do so incredibly much better in terms of sales and brand awareness compared to CD Projekt RED's admirable efforts with the Witcher games.

The Witcher games deserve at least an equal amount of recognition and sales as these big-budget games, imo.

Derrick01

Banned
You negative nancy. I agree...

Well I'd expect there to be some anyway since they're bringing back more traditional monster slaying quests. With a better balanced and actually good combat system those wouldn't be so bad as the fights would be engaging.

I just don't want 10 hours of deliver the loaf of bread to the inn for 20 gold. Those have no place in video games.

Dresden

Man, if they pull this off . . . collecting 12 rat skins or delivering mail will never be the same again.

I hope we see Letho again.

Well I'd expect there to be some anyway since they're bringing back more traditional monster slaying quests. With a better balanced and actually good combat system those wouldn't be so bad as the fights would be engaging.

I just don't want 10 hours of deliver the loaf of bread to the inn for 20 gold. Those have no place in video games.

Totally agree. It sounds like that shit is out, really.

Zinthar

Highly doubtful that this studio would do that. The only lame quests in the Witcher 2 were a few "contracts" quests where you had to kill X number of some monster. But even those weren't that bad because there were just a few, and in many of them the monster was essentially a boss (like the arachas contract in Chapter 1 -- which was one of the hardest fights in the game) and drops a great item. But that's all academic, because the studio has already said contracts quests are out in Wild Hunt.

Given the quality of the work CDProjectRed has put out thus far, plus the vast improvements they made between the first and second game, I think it's a pretty safe bet that they won't screw this up.

The main qualms from the second game are basically all combat-related: the absurd learning curve early on coupled with the game getting significantly easier in later chapters as your character grows stronger, and that the best strategy in most of the games fights comes off as being cheap and game-y (cast quen and jump around like a tard until you get into an advantageous position). If they can fix that and reward getting deep into the sword combos so that you can enjoy the awesome moves at the end, we'll be all set.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Quality of quests isn't just how they're design, it's also contextual to the design itself. Even though it's very MMO like, I don't (for example) think unique monster hunting side quests are out of place in a world like The Witcher. Having 20 or even more quests that boil down to nothing more than "hunt down X in Y" makes sense in a game like The Witcher, and should ideally offer a challenge to the art of hunting with your chosen skills.

I think fetch and MMO quests and the like are fine when they're very focused, with clear goals, and instant rewards. It's when the quests are themselves are so mundane, and then repeated a hundred times, that the flaws shine through.

MormaPope

Banned

You'll probably end up spending 10 hours transporting hookers to the other side of the map in a horse and buggy for free ploughing and 500 gold. I'd be fine with that.

Based on what they mention in that Game Informer interview, it really is tragic that highly marketed big budget RPGs like Dragon Age or Skyrim do so incredibly much better in terms of sales and brand awareness compared to CD Projekt RED's admirable efforts with the Witcher games.

The Witcher games deserve at least an equal amount of recognition and sales as these big-budget games, imo.
Definitely. Although in terms of sales, Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls games are in an entirely different league than Dragon Age. And by most accounts Dragon Age's sales are predominantly from Origins which was a decent game at least.

But yeah, any self respecting RPG fan should be playing The Witcher games.

kitzkozan

CD Projekt is more talented than Bioware and Bethesda combined, but brand awareness must be earned. It's hard to reach the top and more often than not, it take years unless you end up at the right place & time with the right game like Grand Theft Auto III. Starting the Witcher franchise as a PC exclusive that was rough around the edge didn't help either. :p I'm sure The Witcher 3 will be a success if it's released on consoles and PC at the same time (it would hit next gen consoles before the next Elder Scroll and gamers will be starving for an AAA wrpg so...).

The main qualms from the second game are basically all combat-related: the absurd learning curve early on coupled with the game getting significantly easier in later chapters as your character grows stronger, and that the best strategy in most of the games fights comes off as being cheap and game-y (cast quen and jump around like a tard until you get into an advantageous position). If they can fix that and reward getting deep into the sword combos so that you can enjoy the awesome moves at the end, we'll be all set.

I disagree with this point. I thought they sacrificed a lot of the narrative from the original one as well as the more subtle choice/consequences...Hopefully they bring that back.

Lime

Well, at least I'll wager that TW3's sidequests won't be as terrible as Mass Effect 3's listening in on strangers, travelling across the galaxy, scanning a planet, and returning with the textual item.

But I agree. The "Collect 10 x wolf skin pelts" is one of the worst things about RPG quest designs.

Quality of quests isn't just how they're design, it's also contextual to the design itself. Even though it's very MMO like, I don't (for example) think unique monster hunting side quests are out of place in a world like The Witcher. Having 20 or even more quests that boil down to nothing more than "hunt down X in Y" makes sense in a game like The Witcher, and should ideally offer a challenge to the art of hunting with your chosen skills.

I think fetch and MMO quests and the like are fine when they're very focused, with clear goals, and instant rewards. It's when the quests are themselves are so mundane, and then repeated a hundred times, that the flaws shine through.

To add to this, I wouldn't mind the fetch quests if the minute-to-minute gameplay loop is solid and if each enemy poses a threat and reward.

dat hair
n9sKcDx.png

Now this is what I am talking about:

Other companies should take note.

Actually, I think Game company should stop listening to consumers and just lsten to themselves. That's how to get focus groups and ridiculous changes to character design and game mechanics. The 'fans' of a game will fuck it up faster than any marketing ass.

MormaPope

Banned
Only if I can ford a river on their backs.

Better yet, ask a Troll if he can push the buggy across the river. Catch is he wants to be paid in sex, so you'll need to ask or demand one of the hookers has sex with the troll. The tragic journey will then continue.

nbthedude

How are you guys getting the digital version? It isnt ahowing up on the ipad app for me.

Hypron

I was a bit worried at first when I read the game was going to be open world, but after reading all these details (and watching the video), I'm not worried anymore. My hype levels are through the roof, I can't wait for the first trailer!

Better yet, ask a Troll if he can push the buggy across the river. Catch is he wants to be paid in sex, so you'll need to ask or demand one of the hookers has sex with the troll. The tragic journey will then continue.

Now that's how to put diplomacy skills to use in an RPG.

Lime

Actually, I think Game company should stop listening to consumers and just lsten to themselves. That's how to get focus groups and ridiculous changes to character design and game mechanics. The 'fans' of a game will fuck it up faster than any marketing ass.

True, but the point is that one shouldn't downplay consumer wishes through the implementation of DRM, pre-order DLC, arbitrary social features, etc, nor should one listen to external company only thinking about their quarterly reports. Moreover, listening to constructive feedback can help improve your product in some ways.

It's a fine line of balancing consumer feedback and artistic intentions.

How are you guys getting the digital version? Itisnt ahowing up on the ipad app for me.

It was in the youtube link on the last page.

Top Bottom