• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

Ok wow, the text is small. I don't want to miss anything good. Here's a small few things I got that I loved.

World supposedly 20% bigger than Skyrim's
30-40 minutes to cross world on Horseback
New streaming technology (CDRED Engine 3)
Geralt's Memory is restored
No chapters/acts
Dude is fucking DONE fighting for everyone else
Everything from solving MYSTERIES to slaying monsters
Coming out on "all top-of-the-line" consoles - I'd say that confirms next-gen is in.

I'll be back with more.

Is it ok to post the screens from the mag, mods?

OF4o56V.gif

antitrop

Is this a true open world game? As in one giant seamless world? I know they said bigger than Skyrim, but that doesn't mean it isn't in sectioned out.
Considering they seem to be writing an engine specifically to handle "streaming", it stands to reason that this would be the case.

Camp Lo

Banned
He's still got the same sword, when's he gonna get a new one?

When is Geralt gonna change his clothes and get new armor?

That cover looks like Mexico from RDR, I don't like this.

Horses are such a cop out, give us some imaginative travel system.

His beard still looks bad.

Why are his thighs so big?

Where's Trish?

Where's the sex cards?

sigh

You're trying way too hard.

LEGGZZZZ

Open World game with improved witcher combat? Bring it.

I wonder how much they can really improve the graphics with it being that huge?

MormaPope

Banned
What are the chances for game saves to be carried over? I'd say slim to very slim. From what I heard decisions made in the first Witcher didn't influence much or anything at all in The Witcher 2. The decisions and campaigns in TW2 did have a lot of varying outcomes though.

Dmax3901

Where's Trish?

Where's the sex cards?

sigh

This is some kind of weird reverse trolling where it's irritating in how bad it is at trolling rather than actually trolling anyone but then it does.

Persona86

Banned

Where's Trish?

Where's the sex cards?

sigh
Joke post?

Ok wow, the text is small. I don't want to miss anything good. Here's a small few things I got that I loved.

No chapters/acts
Coming out on "all top-of-the-line" consoles - I'd say that confirms next-gen is in.

I'll be back with more.

XBGRd3s.gif

Hypron

Gonna make a bold prediction: The Witcher 3 is gonna shit all over Dragon Age 3. First infos sound amazing.
Hopefully the game is not too far out. In-game trailer would be nice to see soon.

That's not really a bold prediction, considering how TW1 and 2 respectively shat all over Dragon age 1 and 2. Something would have to go terribly wrong (or terribly well on Bioware's side) for TW3 to be inferior to DA3.

Where's Trish?

Where's the sex cards?

sigh

Lol... At the very least, I'm hoping for some major improvements to combat.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't know how this Ciri girl is, but if she's anything like the little girl from Game of Thrones, I'm already loving her.

Odrion

Banned
The comparisons to Skyrim and well.. It sort of sounding a whole hell of a lot like a Skyrim style RPG doesn't have my hopes up.

1. Can someone care to estimate the world size of TW1 vs TW2 vs Skyrim?

2. Does this mean no "Fast Travel" between two locations?

I have high hopes for this game because CDPR promises that it can tie a great tightly knit story (I would assume something akin to TW2) with a world that is much bigger which has its caveat pertaining to losing interest. It happened to me in GTAIV and Skyrim. And before the end, you have pretty much seen every thing (like enemy types etc) before the end.

Aye, thank you.

Boats and water physics are in. I would guess that these are usable?

There's a few pages of text here so I'm working on collecting the details, hang in there folks!

One thing I noticed in the screens is he has the fucking monster hook back. Did he have that in TW2? I can't even remember.

RedSwirl

No chapters/acts

I'll be back with more.

So basically, Skyrim done right.

What are the chances for game saves to be carried over? I'd say slim to very slim. From what I heard decisions made in the first Witcher didn't influence much or anything at all in The Witcher 2. The decisions and campaigns in TW2 did have a lot of varying outcomes though.

I hope CDRP decide to tackle that challenge. We need a developer to show the rest how it's done.

Derrick01

Banned
The comparisons to Skyrim and well.. It sort of sounding a whole hell of a lot like a Skyrim style RPG doesn't have my hopes up.

What other open world RPG are they going to compare the world size too? There's really not many modern ones at all.

Hypron

I'd say it's guaranteed they'll carry the saves over, even if they do not influence the game much.

next gen games announcements coming one by one. I don't know how big skyrim is but if this game is bigger with what seems like good graphics from the character poster, does that look good for next gen specs? Are you guys satisfied with that big of an environment? I hope it means we don't have to worry if next gen can handle big open world environments with good physics and graphics.

Dmax3901

Boats and water physics are in. I would guess that these are usable?

There's a few pages of text here so I'm working on collecting the details, hang in there folks!

One thing I noticed in the screens is he has the fucking monster hook back. Did he have that in TW2? I can't even remember.

In-game screens? Screenshots of the game? Does it look next-gen, whatever that means these days?

Chromie

Banned
Sounds good except the console stuff. The world size is a little worrisome too as it's already hinting that it will fall into standard open world design of "fuck we made it too big. Uhh...throw some random shit on the map to make it look not as empty".

Gothic II
Fallout 1,2 and New Vegas
Morrowind

are some great open world games. I do hope CDPR is looking at older sandbox games and not just Skyrim because...well I don't like Skyrim.

teiresias

Hmmmm, open world, will have to see it and hear impressions before I know if I like that idea.

However, TW2 with it's smaller chapter-based zones was already a bear to run even on a high-end PC so I can't imagine they'll keep quite the same fidelity in an open-world game as they had in that (though hopefully they work on their shadow quality regardless).

This will be the first game I'll really have to think about whether to get for my PC or Orbis (if indeed it comes to Orbis). I'll have to definitely see some impressions of the console version versus how the game is running on a comparable rig to my own (which isn't really a slouch).

Of course, if they mean PS3/360 rather than Orbis/Durango then PC is a a no-brainer.

Chromie said:
Gothic II

I don't think there's one square foot of wasted, empty space in Gothic II, it's really perfectly sized and populated, but I don't think it was really all that large (been forever since I played it so maybe I'm remember wrong).

fvng

Just want to say I think it's neat that print media can still lock in exclusive reveals like this. Brings me back to the 90s

Top Bottom