• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony And Microsofts Next Generation Racers Rumored

RedSwirl

Gotta say, it would be amazing to see next gen Froza and next gen Gran Turismo go head to head. I know GT6 ain't happening at a console launch though. We might get some kind of PS4 GT concept video if we're lucky. Hopefully they've learned from GT5's development.

rdrr gnr

They are. I wouldn't expect to see it first though.
You think they are going to show KZ4 before their new IP? That seems to contradict almost every bit of information about GG's plans I've been able to accumulate. Are you claiming to have any insider information? Because I'm calling bullshit.

Instead of answering for people which is unfair to them and I'm not sure i could do it correctly I will just give a bit of conjecture that may or may not be educated (mostly not).

I think the reveal is going to be exactly what everyone expects. The specs are out there. The news about the controller is out there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which first party studios haven't made a game in a long time.

But... Feb 20 isn't E3. I expect it to be a tease. I doubt they will show the unit itself. I doubt they will show the controller. I doubt they will talk specs in any specific terms. They definitely won't talk price. The games they are going to show aren't going to be the MEGATONS. They will be games that look good, show off good, but leaves them some major announcements for later. Basically, in pretty crude terms, I don't think they are going to blow their load with this announcement. But I think they will show enough to get people hyped.

I think it will go over a lot better than the bizarre unveiling of the Wii U (which Im not a hater of btw... i do own and enjoy mine). It's not a 'weird' system so it will be "hey, we have a new system coming, it's going to kick major ass, here's a bit of proof" and then that's it.

I expect it to be less revealing than their NGP reveal. That is pure conjecture, btw. No one has told me that. That's just my feeling. There are so many milestones along the way. I think we get a taste here, some at GDC, a blowout at E3 and then a final showing and specifics (price, release date, etc) at the Tokyo Game Show.

But are we gonna be hyped after feb 20? Most of us, yes. People excepting a huge E3 like reveal may come away unimpressed.

And for the record, I expect pretty much the same thing out of microsoft. Except they will start in march. I've also heard rumors they may have upwards of 8 third party exclusives in their launch window/first six months.

Interesting. Thanks for the comments.

I actually think the PS4's reveal is going to be BIGGER than Vita's unveil, partially because it's a more important platform for Sony, but also because Sony has a lot more studios working on PS4 already, and have been for quite some time.

Like you said -- I don't expect E3. But, I do expect more first party games (and third party games) shown at the event than Vita had.

I also expect hardware and controller to be shown. They did this at the Vita unveiling, wouldn't make much sense not to show the hardware and controller. Obviously minor details to both the hardware will be subject to change (just like they were with Vita), but I figure Sony will definitely show off the OS features of the device, and that ties in directly with the new controller....so it has to be shown.

Obviously price and release date won't be mentioned much (except for maybe a 2013 reveal, but no specific date given other than that).

I think games that will be shown will all be launch titles or launch window titles that will get the core fanbase excited, and they will save major unveils of games that are late 2014 and beyond for E3 (Naughty Dog's PS4 title will definitely be teased, and I have a hunch that Sony Santa Monica and Ready at Dawn will be there at E3 as well).

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
PGR5 is all I want. GT and FM could end and I wouldn't care. As long as I had PGR back in my life.

You think they are going to show KZ4 before their new IP? That seems to contradict almost every bit of information about GG's plans I've been able to accumulate. Are you claiming to have any insider information? Because I'm calling bullshit.

It makes sense, because new IPs take longer to develop.

If Guerrilla Games has KZ4 ready for PS4's launch, that gives them 3 years of development on PS4. Because they already have a formula established, this timeframe is feasible even through the transition to next-gen development.

New IPs require smaller teams to prototype A LOT in terms of gameplay systems and mechanics to get that "vertical slice" absolutely nailed, and then from there they go on to full production. Which will work out well for the new IP since Guerrilla at that point should be very familar with next-gen development.

rdrr gnr

It makes sense, because new IPs take longer to develop.

If Guerrilla Games has KZ4 ready for PS4's launch, that gives them 3 years of development on PS4. Because they already have a formula established, this timeframe is feasible even through the transition to next-gen development.

New IPs require smaller teams to prototype A LOT in terms of gameplay systems and mechanics to get that "vertical slice" absolutely nailed, and then from there they go on to full production. Which will work out well for the new IP since Guerrilla at that point should be very familar with next-gen development.
Right. But you could make a compelling case for the other side as well. The transition to new tech warrants unique development removed from an IP. It's not like they are going from an FPS to an open-world third-person stealth title -- if they could mobile resources for a next-gen KZ -- they could do the same for a new IP. And "familiar with next-gen development" means something very different now -- they are not being forced to learn an esoteric architecture. Their programmers should know what they are doing immediately as they probably worked with SCE on the console itself. And prototyping for a new title could have started to take place even before KZ3 launched (I'd be willing to bet that it did). Hell, there is even an interview with GG where they list potential new IPs that did not make the cut (including an adaptation of Ghost in the Shell). Plus, there is no better time for a new IP then at launch. Killzone didn't perform on the levels Sony hoped but a new IP might. It probably makes more sense to have KZ now than to have it a few years in.

That shows great confidence by 3rd party for 720 box. It seems Sony might again see an uphill battle in start of next gen.

Kinda. It mostly shows deep pockets by microsoft.

As for the KZ before new IP thing... I don't know anything positively. I don't work there and things change between the time I hear things and stuff actually happening. But I will echo what sawyer said in that Killzone 4 is exactly the game you want at launch. It's a bombastic, gorgeous, dumb (in a good way...?) and that will give you that "holy shit this is next gen" feeling. New IP's are important, for sure, but given where games are currently i don't think there's anything more important than having a gorgeous, dumb shooter at launch.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
NFS turned into shit after Underground 2 and this left a huge void in the racing market. Current gen NFS games are different turds in different aspects, they only have one thing in common: they are not NFS.

I really think they can nail this and find a market for them. Arcade, but not outlandish, that's a good balance.

I dunno, I loved the original Most Wanted. I thought that was one of the best racing games this gen.

rdrr gnr

Kinda. It mostly shows deep pockets by microsoft.

As for the KZ before new IP thing... I don't know anything positively. I don't work there and things change between the time I hear things and stuff actually happening.
But I will echo what sawyer said in that Killzone 4 is exactly the game you want at launch. It's a bombastic, gorgeous, dumb (in a good way...?) and that will give you that "holy shit this is next gen" feeling. New IP's are important, for sure, but given where games are currently i don't think there's anything more important than having a gorgeous, dumb shooter at launch.
Right. But it's not like they are close to showing "both" games and are just indecisive. Either they are making Killzone or they are not. There was another poster in a different thread whose posts I followed up with a PM and he said from what he knows (more than he'll tell me) he can say it's a new IP. But, again, he didn't tell me anything I already didn't know.
that could honestly mean so much. Not even worth thinking about.
Kinect games. And I'm not saying that is a derogatory manner but that very well could be the case. And does exclusive indicate timed?

JJD

Instead of answering for people which is unfair to them and I'm not sure i could do it correctly I will just give a bit of conjecture that may or may not be educated (mostly not).

I think the reveal is going to be exactly what everyone expects. The specs are out there. The news about the controller is out there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which first party studios haven't made a game in a long time.

But... Feb 20 isn't E3. I expect it to be a tease. I doubt they will show the unit itself. I doubt they will show the controller. I doubt they will talk specs in any specific terms. They definitely won't talk price. The games they are going to show aren't going to be the MEGATONS. They will be games that look good, show off good, but leaves them some major announcements for later. Basically, in pretty crude terms, I don't think they are going to blow their load with this announcement. But I think they will show enough to get people hyped.

I think it will go over a lot better than the bizarre unveiling of the Wii U (which Im not a hater of btw... i do own and enjoy mine). It's not a 'weird' system so it will be "hey, we have a new system coming, it's going to kick major ass, here's a bit of proof" and then that's it.

I expect it to be less revealing than their NGP reveal. That is pure conjecture, btw. No one has told me that. That's just my feeling. There are so many milestones along the way. I think we get a taste here, some at GDC, a blowout at E3 and then a final showing and specifics (price, release date, etc) at the Tokyo Game Show.

But are we gonna be hyped after feb 20? Most of us, yes. People excepting a huge E3 like reveal may come away unimpressed.

And for the record, I expect pretty much the same thing out of microsoft. Except they will start in march. I've also heard rumors they may have upwards of 8 third party exclusives in their launch window/first six months.

I think your points are really reasonable and that's what I expect too.

About the MS exclusives nugget: That's all that matter to me. If this is true I'll be buying a 720 day one, who cares is it's weaker? On the other hand if MS ships a more powerful console than Orbis but keeps it's current game policy (Kinect and casual shit) I'll just stick with Orbis.

beast786

For both systems, although I think you'll see more "second party" deals than anything.

Start of this gen wasn't pretty for PS3. MS took bioshock, mass effect, Lost planet,Ace combat, left 4 dead,GTA DLC exclusives, and Epic with Gears of war, and pretty much dominated early with both WRPG and JRPG. While Sony lost all its 3rd party exclusive except MGS4. It was like everyday back then an exclusive 3rd party would go Multiplatform , Assasian creed , VF ect

All the above set a mind share perception that still exist. it seems MS is doing the same thing again. Setting a tone again.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Wait, Sony nixed an open world Gran Turismo game, like Forza Horizon?

Too bad, that would have been the first GT game I bought since GT3. That would have been a system seller for me.

If the PGR5 rumor is true, then that's a system seller for me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wait, Sony nixed an open world Gran Turismo game, like Forza Horizon?

Too bad, that would have been the first GT game I bought since GT3. That would have been a system seller for me.

If the PGR5 rumor is true, then that's a system seller for me.

The game still exists, it's just not going to be called GT.

nib95

Banned
The game still exists, it's just not going to be called GT.

Which is a good move imo, to retain GTs brand identity and prestige. Better that the game is not encumbered with the GT name, that way they have reign to let loose a bit more. Push a bit further outside the boundaries and be more creative with it.

It was likely cheaper for MS to get exclusives this gen than it will be next gen (unless sony makes some huge missteps).

Sony launched a year late with a small lineup and a huge price tag. If Microsoft offered me $50 at that point I would sign the deal.

I expect there basically to be parity between the systems (I do believe the rumors that MS is ramping up the power where they can, like clock speeds). Microsoft has the weakest first party of the big 3 (not talking sales, talking overall - like number of teams, quality of team, number of franchises, etc). So they do smart things like getting Epic, one of the better devs on the planet, to make games for them. Of course they are going to do the same thing this gen.

I don't expect any blockbuster third party announcements. Not on the GTA/COD/Madden/Etc level. Probably something from capcom. Probably something from the PC. Western titles. Hawken, for instance, i can see them chasing after that.

Sony isn't going to turn over and die though. They are also going after deals. And they, of course, have more 'big' first party studios so their lineup will be no slouch.

I honestly don't expect much to be decided in the first year. I can honestly see a path for the orbis to take off, the 720 to take off or for them to be in a dead heat... and I don't think it will really matter. I think once we get into the generation, and the special sauce is unleashed, and the platforms mature... that's when major movement will happen.

I don't have any sales numbers in front of me, but i would assume the first year is usually the lowest in overall sales, right? It's when the system costs the most and has the least games. So getting some MEGATON deal then isn't as big of a deal as, say, year 3.

I think it's gonna be fun. My biggest question (and something I may pose in a post someday just for fun conjecture) is what Sony is going to do with PS+ on day one of the PS4. Because they obviously won't have a huge 'instant game collection.' So I expect it to be mostly services, which is fine, but also really aggravating for the people who don't have +. I feel like a peasant on XBL with silver. I know online play will still be free but if everything else is behind the PS+ paywall that may make their customers kinda irate.

And, of course, Sony is capable at any moment of completely fucking things up. Atleast they just got a new advertising agency though. Smartest move they made in a while.

LuuKyK

Interesting bit about MS 3rd party exclusives there. They really must be throwing money at everyone. But then again that really could mean anything... I mean, isn't Dance Central developed by Harmonix or something? And it still counts as an exclusive. Might be something like that if they want to support Kinect 2.0 straight away, who knows. There still that Crytek game right? Yeah, we will see.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Which is a good move imo, to retain GTs brand identity and prestige. Better that the game is not encumbered with the GT name, that way they have reign to let loose a bit more. Push a bit further outside the boundaries and be more creative with it.

Not to mention, GT6 is coming as well.

whitehawk

Banned
I suppose this shop for the Kaz thread fits here well.

jbnvsbCD3GcEbb.jpeg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Interesting bit about MS 3rd party exclusives there. They really must be throwing money at everyone. But then again that really could mean anything... I mean, isn't Dance Central developed by Harmonix or something? And it still counts as an exclusive. Might be something like that if they want to support Kinect 2.0 straight away, who knows. There still that Crytek game right? Yeah, we will see.

It's fair to say they aren't going after Japan this time.

Loudninja

Yes I like to see them create a fantastic new series with its own brand.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That's interesting.. So they're just going to let that one go? I thought they'd still push for a few SE published or made exclusive games or something.

Their efforts will be more western focused. After failing to make a dent in Japan this generation they're better off trying to focus on Europe anyway.

LuuKyK

Wouldn't shock me to see Capcom partner with Microsoft again.

Capcom games do fine in the west. I think she meant the games that sell better in Japan, aka JRPGs, MH, etc... I mean, if in one year with exclusive JRPGs MS failed to hold that audience in their console last gen (360), a simultaneous launch wont do them any good. So they might already know they dont even need to try again, and focus on things they are sure they can win/compete for.

Edit: beaten.

Ravage

I can definitely see Dragon Dogma going Durango exclusive. Capcom is trying their best to establish the franchise and would gladly accept any form of marketing push from either platform holders. Sony should have realised this too, but their relationship with Capcom seems to be at an all-time low.

Wouldn't shock me to see Capcom partner with Microsoft again.

Dance Centra
Ryse
Steel Battalion

Maybe another Sesame Street game? I don't know..

I can definitely see Dragon Dogma going Durango exclusive. Capcom is trying their best to establish the franchise and would gladly accept any form of marketing push from either platform holders. Sony should have realised this too, but their relationship with Capcom seems to be at an all-time low.

I don't see Dragon Dogma 2 going Durango exclusive. That's counter intuitive to everything Capcom does. Hell, their Monster Hunter 4 being 3DS only is shocking. More platforms mean more money.

... Usually.

Well let's guesstimate what it could be. Keep in mind what i heard was "upwards of 8" which obviously doesn't mean DEFINITELY EIGHT!!!! I have no idea if that includes XBLA, let's assume it doesn't.

How many can we reasonably guestimate? I would assume it's mostly the same companies giving them exclusives now

I've actually heard hawken and a new dead rising bandied about. I have no idea how legit that info is though.

So..

Hawken (?)
New Dead Rising (?)
Epic IP (?)
Harmonix dance/kinect IP?
Maybe something from double fine? They seem to work together a lot.
Ubisoft is almost always on board with a launch game that uses a system's unique functions (something kinect 2.0 i would guess)
Maybe a port of a PC/last gen shooter. Like Metro Last Light all prettied up?
Stupid kinect game from stupid kinect developer.
A bigger budget exclusive from a former third party xbla dev (like the toy soldiers guys are kinda doing with their next game). Twisted Pixel maybe?

That's completely conjecture and 99.999999% not what the list will look like, but it's one path to 8 games that isn't unreasonable. It's decent as well, but I don't think that list wins or loses you the system wars.

Gorillaz

Wasn't there rumor of Homefront 2 going xbox exclusive? Thought I heard MS mention they were a little sour with the way Activision handled the deal between them and are looking to fund another series to pull away from CoD.

How come there are so many Sony insiders on the boards? Legit question.

Its the other way around. More MS. Only really a few people like Kagari knew what was happening with Sony until 2 weeks ago where everyone and their mom was an "insider".

LuuKyK

Well let's guesstimate what it could be. Keep in mind what i heard was "upwards of 8" which obviously doesn't mean DEFINITELY EIGHT!!!! I have no idea if that includes XBLA, let's assume it doesn't.

How many can we reasonably guestimate? I would assume it's mostly the same companies giving them exclusives now

I've actually heard hawken and a new dead rising bandied about. I have no idea how legit that info is though.

So..

Hawken (?)
New Dead Rising (?)
Epic IP (?)
Harmonix dance/kinect IP?
Maybe something from double fine? They seem to work together a lot.
Ubisoft is almost always on board with a launch game that uses a system's unique functions (something kinect 2.0 i would guess)
Maybe a port of a PC/last gen shooter. Like Metro Last Light all prettied up?
Stupid kinect game from stupid kinect developer.
A bigger budget exclusive from a former third party xbla dev (like the toy soldiers are kinda doing with their next game). Twisted Pixel maybe?

That's completely conjecture and 99.999999% not what the list will look like, but it's one path to 8 games that isn't unreasonable. It's decent as well, but I don't think that list wins or loses you the system wars.

Yeah, that list makes a lot of sense imo. I can totally see something like this happening. Also I would add the Crytek game that isnt a Kinect game anymore if Im not mistaken.

Ravage

I don't see Dragon Dogma 2 going Durango exclusive. That's counter intuitive to everything Capcom does. Hell, their Monster Hunter 4 being 3DS only is shocking. More platforms mean more money.

... Usually.

Well Dead Rising and Lost Planet used to be 360-exclusives. It makes sense for a timed exclusive at the very least. I'm willing to bet that the exposure gained from exclusivity will propel the franchise sales beyond 1.3mil. And a Playstation exclusive from Capcom seems unlikely these days.

How come there are so many Sony insiders on the boards? Legit question.

Sony, in the US and Europe atleast (I have very little knowledge of japan) tend to hire a lot of young, enthusiastic people and a lot of people from the media. The blogcast is like the best of 2006's gaming press. And they don't just have those people in social media, sutner is part of the team looking for games to get onto the platform.

The people I know... I know from gaming and websites like this. They are young, they love to play games, they love to talk games... and they are friendly. From what i've heard from almost all of them is that Sony is a great place to work at because it's largely people just like them.

I have no idea whether this is true or not at Microsoft. Over the years I've become friendly with people everywhere from Sony to Valve to Blizzard to facebook game devs... but i've never, ever met anyone from MS or Nintendo. It's kinda weird.

I also, personally, have a small podcast and website (which is a hobby not 'real journalism') and do have some machinations of entering the industry as an indie game dev (though I really don't have any long term plans beyond the PC). So I just chat with people. People like to talk :)

Top Bottom