• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart: Arcade Gran Prix DX announced (Nintendo/Bandai Namco), due this summer

Hobby

Will be on display at the Japan Amusement Expo on 2/15 and 2/16.

Includes Gran Prix mode (single player), Co-op mode (two players), "Clone" Battle mode (single player), and four player Competitive mode.

Screens in the PDF, along with pics of the cabinet. Might be our first glimpse as to how Mario Kart Wii U is going to look.

Original screens:

iPK0InYhqSs8B.png

ibwQwWmtZhEUsq.png

iYvs0WwVna9W.png

ibgcfc29Z5RnuS.png

izoNI0GamvbNm.png

ih4ggmK02uwZh.png

i7qO8caLFyng4.png

http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/corporate/press/release/58/pdf/20130206.pdf

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Man, home versions of this series would be great. I love playing them when I find them, but there are hardly any arcades in the US.

fernoca

Interesting. And the Wii U controller already has a camera (plus Nintendoland uses it in similar ways). Wouldn't surprise me if a port or something ends on Wii U.

For some reason I thought they were announcing a home version...I think it would be smart to release one as a DD game on 3DS/WiiU.

Sandfox

Its been six years since the last one so this is pretty surprising. I'm really interested to see what kind of board this is on because the last one was on a board made by Nintendo,Sega and Namco together. If this is on a newer board and put effort into the game it could actually look really nice.

Videoneon

I played the previous arcade Mario Kart game at Disneyworld. Hated it, controls weird, tracks are lame, and barely remember anything else about it.

Erethian

Interesting. And the Wii U controller already has a camera (plus Nintendoland uses it in similar ways). Wouldn't surprise me if a port or something ends on Wii U.

What is more likely is that they'll use it as to test out ideas, though I don't know how involved Nintendo has been in the development of the arcade games.

lantus

I really find it hard to get excited for Mario Kart nowadays, especially after the Wii version. What could Nintendo possibly bring to the table with yet another Mario Kart?

Sandfox

I really find it hard to get excited for Mario Kart nowadays, especially after the Wii version. What could Nintendo possibly bring to the table with yet another Mario Kart?

People seem to like the 3DS version more than the Wii version but they do need to start finding a few more interesting ideas for the series.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I remember really enjoying the last arcade MK. I hated the Wii mK though. Looking forward to a HD MK.

3DS version was great and IMO, feels more like a full game than the Wii MK for some reason.

I'd like to see them drop a lot of the gimmicks and just go back to core gameplay of the SNES MK. The game has too many annoying power ups and weapons now.

Also, fuck off with that blue shell crap.

Kiryu

If it get brought to NA. I am definitely going to say that arcade is going to be my favorite (I don't have many favorite arcade game.)

Eusis

Visuals don't look terribly impressive, from what I can make out.
Seems like Mario Kart 7 at a glance.

And they really should get to porting these to consoles. Yeah yeah, one entry per generation, but when you have the rare Nintendo Arcade game all best are off the table, especially with how the Arcade market is all but gone in the US, if not all of the world beyond Japan. Doubt it's as strong there either actually...

Seems like Mario Kart 7 at a glance.

And they really should get to porting these to consoles. Yeah yeah, one entry per generation, but when you have the rare Nintendo Arcade game all best are off the table, especially with how the Arcade market is all but gone in the US, if not all of the world beyond Japan. Doubt it's as strong there either actually...

Dunno about compared to ten or twenty years ago, but the ones around all seem to be pretty busy on weekends and after school.

JJD

I think it's probably a good indication of features WiiU Mario Kart can have.

Those photo pictures avatars for example.

Eusis

Dunno about compared to ten or twenty years ago, but the ones around all seem to be pretty busy on weekends and after school.
I just remember how every mall used to have one, and last I checked the one mall I know that had it had it close.

But it might've opened a new one, and I haven't been there for forever, so I'm not sure. Think the Dave & Busters is still in that area though.

Makes me sad that the arcade is dead in America. It's only acceptable for an adult play at an arcade if it's a Dave and Busters or Jillians. From youtube videos it seems like theres an arcade on every block in Japan. I never was able to spot the original Mario kart Arcade game anywhere, hopefully this one is brought to D&B

Vibed

Interesting, I'd love to try this sometime (although I'll never run into one). The first two GP's were pretty fun for arcade titles, not quite up to par with regular Mario Kart though.

I think it's probably a good indication of features WiiU Mario Kart can have.

Those photo pictures avatars for example.

They've done that in all the Arcade GP Mario Karts. But yeah. there's a good chance we'll see that on the WiiU.

I just remember how every mall used to have one, and last I checked the one mall I know that had it had it close.

But it might've opened a new one, and I haven't been there for forever, so I'm not sure. Think the Dave & Busters is still in that area though.

Sorry, was talking about Japanese arcades. :)

hatchx

Banned
Another Namco collaboration... Interesting.

Namco co-developed the first Mario Kart Arcade IIRC.

I doubt this is significant news, and I doubt this has anything to do with the Wii U version. I don't think we would even see it outside of Japan. The last arcade Mario Kart felt like the shell of a real Mario Kart.

Also, it's confirmed that Nintendo's Mario Kart team is working on it. There would be no reason to announce the Namco collaboration on Smash Bros. and hide it on Mario Kart which is coming sooner.

Emitan

Namco co-developed the first Mario Kart Arcade IIRC.

I doubt this is significant news, and I doubt this has anything to do with the Wii U version. I don't think we would even see it outside of Japan. The last arcade Mario Kart felt like the shell of a real Mario Kart.

Also, it's confirmed that Nintendo's Mario Kart team is working on it. There would be no reason to announce the Namco collaboration on Smash Bros. and hide it on Mario Kart which is coming sooner.

You could play as Pacman!

The avatar system was also used in Tank Tank Tank in arcades and on Wii U. Hell I wonder if somehow this was made on that hardware, looks very Wii+ visually, but that's loads better than any previous MK.

This would make a great Wii U game for the summer to tide us over if MKU doesn't make it this year but in Spring 2014, I'd be fucking psyched for MK with classic modern Namco arcade goodness! I always love their style, you see it clear as day here.

Taiko is also playable, that's funny. :p Also Pac-Man is his new look as well, hopefully MAMETCHI, MAMETCHI, MAMETCHI is playable again, how can you not love Tamagotchi? Damn things were all over my elementary school when they came out, I only got a Giga Pet T-Rex though (could never figure the damn thing out lol XD).

vareon

The game's still available in an arcade not far from where I live. Fun stuff, but that's it.

Edit: The previous one, I mean.

FFS IGN!

Could this be a signal that Namco Bandai is also developing Mario Kart for Wii U? We won't have to wait long to find out. Mario Kart is due to debut in playable form for the home console at E3 2013.

hatchx

Banned
This would make a great Wii U game for the summer to tide us over if MKU doesn't make it this year but in Spring 2014, I'd be fucking psyched for MK with classic modern Namco arcade goodness! I always love their style, you see it clear as day here.

There are only three scenarios I can see this Mario Kart Arcade hitting Wii U.

1. Mario Kart U is slated for holiday 2014, and Mario Kart Arcade is reduced-price and eshop only, coming out mid this year.

2. Mario Kart Arcade comes as a hidden unlockable/bonus with Mario Kart U.

3. Mario Kart U comes out this holiday, and Mario Kart Arcade comes out as DLC/eshop only 6 months or more late.

I really don't think this hitting in the summer and Mario Kart U hitting in the holiday is a good idea. We all know that NSMBU and NSMB2 didn't help each other, and there is no use causing confusion and brand fatigue on one of their top tier franchises.

Likewise, I think it is a rather poor idea to put Monster Hunter 3G on 3DS and WiiU at the same time. The sales will cannibalize each other and it's a niche franchise as is.

Eusis

Likewise, I think it is a rather poor idea to put Monster Hunter 3G on 3DS and WiiU at the same time. The sales will cannibalize each other and it's a niche franchise as is.
It's not really that different from other multiplatform releases, and it's possible people will be more inclined to buy both at once on the same day, especially with the transfer function.

Top Bottom