• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft pledges pipeline of support for Wii U, talks next gen exclusives

If this isn't proof that Nintendo needs to realize that they're on their own, nothing is. Think about it. We just went through the second hardware launch where Nintendo stepped back in order to let 3rd parties shine. What did we get? A game literally called "Zombie." Nobody who doesn't read gaming forums is going to look at a shelf of games and pick the one that says "Zombie" on the cover. No matter how it is spelled or if it has a "U" next to it.

Start buying up and bolstering those small 3rd party studios, Nintendo. It's the only way to make sure you get a solid release per month on your system. You can't count on jack shit from 3rd parties.

I think you're being a little presumptuous in assuming that lack of killer first-party software was a good indication of Nintendo stepping back to let third party software shine. The much more likely possibility is that they simply didn't have the software ready to go themselves.

Raven77

Wait, LESS exclusives???

WTF, their are like 2-3 worthwhile exclusives PER SYSTEM each year.

How can there possibly be less...

Calamari41

41 > 38
You're probably right, but we at least know that this was their philosophy during the 3DS launch. My point still stands though: the best effort they got from 3rd parties was a generic zombie game that never had a chance. For the record I enjoyed ZombiU, I'm just talking about its marketability and sales potential. As in, it never had any.

RE: Rayman

This decision will also ensure that the any further Gamepad ideas are nixed. Wouldn't be surprised if they evn cut stuff out that can't be easily modified for traditional/boring controllers.

Fuck.

Quick question, is Michel Ancel on contract with Ubisoft?

Yup, I said as much myself above.

A shame really because it was a 2D platformer with unique gameplay elements and now will be nothing but a bog standard 2D platformer.

Yup, I said as much myself above.

A shame really because it was a 2D platformer with unique gameplay elements and now will be nothing but a bog standard 2D platformer.

We're you really looking forward to cutting rope and pulling levers? That will probably still be there anyway.

Wait, LESS exclusives???

WTF, their are like 2-3 worthwhile exclusives PER SYSTEM each year.

How can there possibly be less...
Because of the lost sales, cost of being one console exclusive, and potential of success as a multiplatform title. Tho that really hasn't panned out well if the game didn't start as a multiplatform title

Meelow

Banned
You're probably right, but we at least know that this was their philosophy during the 3DS launch. My point still stands though: the best effort they got from 3rd parties was a generic zombie game that never had a chance. For the record I enjoyed ZombiU, I'm just talking about its marketability and sales potential. As in, it never had any.

I wouldn't really call Zombi U "generic" in my opinion...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...bout_beginnings_reactions_and_survival_horror

And Ubisoft said they are "pleased with the initial sales, among the best selling launch titles on Wii U"

N64+expansion+pack.jpg

Or most likely, price and/or marketing.

I would actually laugh if they somehow release a USB based Hardware expansion. Something like this would likely also occur alongside a price cut (around the price of said expansion) and a likely holiday packed in sale.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I wouldn't really call Zombi U "generic" in my opinion...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...bout_beginnings_reactions_and_survival_horror

And Ubisoft said they are "pleased with the initial sales, among the best selling launch titles on Wii U"

Like I said, I enjoyed ZombiU and I don't think it is generic. I was speaking strictly to its marketing and sales potential. I certainly never saw an ad for it in Los Angeles. The only exposure the non-enthusiast public had to the game was a picture of a zombie and the word "ZombiU."

I thought that Ubi had gone on to be disappointed in ZombiU's sales. They didn't even mention it in their investors meeting, right?

As said, my view is that now, if the game's on PS360, a Wii U version is almost assured, if it's on PS4/720 only, it all depends.

Bizarrely, Activision is the one to count on, after porting almost all COD games to Wii (thanks to Treyarch!), even when the series goes PS4/720, we'll see them on Wii U, perhaps when that happens devs will see something positive in that.

Hopefully the rumors of Gearbox making a new multi-platform shooter are true and are indeed bringing UE4 to Wii U, that could shut the naysayers and attract support.

I would actually laugh if they somehow release a USB based Hardware expansion. Something like this would likely also occur alongside a price cut (around the price of said expansion) and a likely holiday packed in sale.

I actually suggested the USB idea earlier. XD

Huff

Banned
As said, my view is that now, if the game's on PS360, a Wii U version is almost assured, if it's on PS4/720 only, it all depends.

Bizarrely, Activision is the one to count on, after porting almost all COD games to Wii (thanks to Treyarch!), even when the series goes PS4/720, we'll see them on Wii U, perhaps when that happens devs will see something positive in that.

XD

Wait what? Games so far are more likely not to go to wiiU than go as of what we know

Unless you are a believer in the mythical Nintendo NDA

This:
"which makes fantastic use of what the machine can do"
In the same interview as this:
"the possibilities of next-generation PCs and the next-generation of consoles will bring"

Doesn't bode well.

No Watch_Dogs then?

What games does ubisoft have coming out in 2013?

Well Splinter Cell: Blacklist is one, highly suspected to be Wii U-bound due to numerous retail leaks.

And of course Rayman Legends.

Only other one official is Shootmania but that's a PC game.

The next AC could also show up as AC3 did.

The rest of the line-up will obviously come at E3.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
since noone knows what happens behind closed doors, it's pretty hard to make an assumption about betrayals and bad behaviour. In RL's case, Nintendo could have been aware of this since the beginning, for all we know

since noone knows what happens behind closed doors, it's pretty hard to make an assumption about betrayals and bad behaviour. In RL's case, Nintendo could have been aware of this since the beginning, for all we know

What are you defining as "the beginning"? Because I highly doubt they knew about it before they made it their demo game at launch kiosks.

Currygan

What are you defining as "the beginning"? Because I highly doubt they knew about it before they made it their demo game at launch kiosks.

why not? Perhaps their deal had a clause saying game woulda been labeled as a WiiU exclusive for marketing purposes, with its effectiveness ending today

or am i being too cynical?

why not? Perhaps their deal had a clause saying game woulda been labeled as a WiiU exclusive for marketing purposes, with its effectiveness ending today

or am i being too cynical?

I don't know if "cynical" is the right adjective here. I lean more toward "ridiculous," as the assumption doesn't seem grounded in reality at all. Clearly, Nintendo was banking on this as an exclusive at some point in recent history. To suggest otherwise is just silly.

Currygan

I don't know if "cynical" is the right adjective here. I lean more toward "ridiculous," as the assumption doesn't seem grounded in reality at all. Clearly, Nintendo was banking on this as an exclusive at some point in recent history. To suggest otherwise is just silly.

ah well, no point arguing any further then

watershed

Banned
Its starting to feel like the Wii U is gonna be the Wii situation with 3rd parties all over again. And I stil remember Iwata saying that because the Wii U is hd that wouldn't happen this time.

prag16

Banned
WiiU might receive a few multiplatform current games.

And yes. I've been saying for months. There is near to zero chance that WiiU will get next gen downports.

Saying it for months with no basis, sure.

PC games at performance levels requiring higher specs than PS4/720 have minimum requirements in many cases below Wii U.

There will be downports. Maybe not as many as many of us would like, but they will exist. No technical reason why they can't. No business reason? In some cases. But saying "near to zero" chance with such certainty is folly, and has no substantive basis.

Top Bottom