• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

olimpia84
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:51 AM)
olimpia84's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pachterballs

did he shoot himself in the foot posting that?

Makes ubisoft sound like arseholes.

Well, they are assholes. They are delaying a finished product for no good reason and fucked over the people who worked in this game.
BriseFlots
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:52 AM)
BriseFlots's Avatar

Originally Posted by olimpia84

Well, they are assholes. They are delaying a finished product for no good reason and fucked over the people who worked in this game.

OT but what is the difference between arsehole and asshole?
LTWood12
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:53 AM)
LTWood12's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wiz

As opposed to what? Buying it and telling Ubisoft that it was okay to delay a finished game?

There aren't enough titles on the Wii U, and people are hungry for quality games. Rayman Legends looks to be phenomenal. The backlash won't be nearly enough to tank the game, so you'll only be punishing yourself. Dont be surprised if this happens with Bayonetta 2.

That said, it really does suck for people that bought a Wii u and were looking forward to this. Especially so close to it shipping. I almost bought one for this game, and i'd be pissed if I had I wait another 7 months too. Wouldn't keep me from buying the game in September though.
batbeg
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:53 AM)
batbeg's Avatar

Originally Posted by BriseFlots

OT but what is the difference between arsehole and asshole?

British versus American (non-British? Do Aussies/Canadians/etc say arse?).
Freshmaker
I am Korean.
(02-08-2013, 03:54 AM)
Freshmaker's Avatar

Originally Posted by MasterBalls

That's exactly what the poor overworked dev asked you not to do. That achieves nothing.

This. Game. Must. Be. Bought.

Even if you had no interest in it. It's the only way.
TheDrowningMan
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:54 AM)

Originally Posted by cyberheater

I'm not supporting publishers who resort to this type of action. Full stop.

I partially agree.

I may - may - still buy the game, but it'll be when it's heavily reduced come early 2014. That's purely hypothetical though, because chances are I'll have moved on by then. I don't have time to endlessly play video games any more, and sadly, this is one that's probably going to be missed as a result.

I mean, September when GTA V arrives? Buzzzttt! Nope!

That'll be good for me until November - December, when Nintendo roll out some major titles. Is it going to vie for my time with them? Nope.
Eusis
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:54 AM)
Eusis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Retro_

I mean is this even really an uncommon occurrence in the industry? Both the delay and that level of developer crunch time to meet release

I'd say this manner IS unusual. Usually it's well in advance of release (the original AC apparently, FFXIII) or at least within the last few months (Dragon Age: Origin.) And more often they just release then and port later on, albeit to mixed results. That may be why Ubisoft decided to just delay the Wii U version, but it's also possibly just as big of a mistake at this point in time.
Mihael Mello Keehl
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:54 AM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar

Originally Posted by AGITΩ

I'm so sad. I totally copy typed the Square shot themselves in the foot on UPlay's miiverse...and people think I'm dead serious to dead right...

What is your Name on miiverse? I need to see this lol
Dave Meltzer
Banned
(02-08-2013, 03:54 AM)

Originally Posted by olimpia84

Well, they are assholes. They are delaying a finished product for no good reason and fucked over the people who worked in this game.

How are they fucked over?
walking fiend
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:55 AM)
walking fiend's Avatar

Originally Posted by Retro_

I don't know why that is so morally reprehensible to the point where you'd boycott a product you want to play and not support a developer you want to see do well.

I mean is this even really an uncommon occurrence in the industry? Both the delay and that level of developer crunch time to meet release

It's not really a matter of morality; It's about you telling publishers that if you don't get what you are promised, they won't get their money.

They are internal developers, so the amount of profit by Rayman will most probably don't affect them much anyway.

And yes, it is extremely uncommon to delay a 'prepared' version of a game, for this reason.

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

How are they fucked over?

em, by being under extreme pressure for 6months for no reason?
BriseFlots
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:55 AM)
BriseFlots's Avatar

Originally Posted by batbeg

British versus American (non-British? Do Aussies/Canadians/etc say arse?).

thank you
Lynd7
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:55 AM)
Lynd7's Avatar
Maybe the best thing to do is to boycott the ports? Get it on Wii U if u can.
CronoShot
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:56 AM)
CronoShot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

What is your Name on miiverse? I need to see this lol

Ricardo (username is Suzaku) I believe. I saw it earlier.

And on an almost unrelated note, did anyone see that Rayman dollar bill on Miiverse? Obscenely detailed.
Last edited by CronoShot; 02-08-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Dave Meltzer
Banned
(02-08-2013, 03:56 AM)
Are you all going to boycott Pikmin 3 considering its obviously being delayed purely for marketing and business reasons? There's no doubt that game was finished long ago.
jackal27
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:56 AM)
jackal27's Avatar
Man... It's easy to forget how shit like this really screws over the people who actually pour their blood, sweat, and tears into the games we love.
Kinyou
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:57 AM)
Kinyou's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

How are they fucked over?

They worked their asses off to hit the original release date
one_kill
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:57 AM)
one_kill's Avatar
It's so stupid for those Ubisoft execs to make such a decision. Why delay a Wii U version just so you could release it along with the PS3 and 360 iterations? I think it would've been smarter for Ubisoft to have released the Wii U version this month and the other versions later on.
TheDrowningMan
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

Are you all going to boycott Pikmin 3 considering its obviously being delayed purely for marketing and business reasons? There's no doubt that game was finished long ago.

Was the game delayed a couple of weeks prior to release and purely so that it can be ported to competing consoles?
Dave Meltzer
Banned
(02-08-2013, 03:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Kinyou

They worked their asses off to hit the original release date

That's not being fucked over, that's doing your job in exchange for money.
TheDrowningMan
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:58 AM)

Originally Posted by one_kill

It's so stupid for those Ubisoft execs to make such a decision. Why delay a Wii U version just so you could release it along with the PS3 and 360 iterations? I think it would've been smarter for Ubisoft to have released the Wii U version this month and the other versions later on.

They might do well to consider dropping the digital version of the Wii U version on time in order to save a little bit of face.
EatChildren
Chico is Quiet
(02-08-2013, 03:58 AM)
EatChildren's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

How are they fucked over?

Well, if the dev quote is true, then Ubisoft had them work on a cruch schedule (lots of overtime) pressured to meet the release date for the end of the month. They essentially had the dev team run the last stretch of a marathon, putting in a ridiculously (and often controversial) amount of hours, so they could get a project out the door in the highest quality.

And then turned around and said "oh lol now it isn't coming out until september".

It's a dick move.
SaintMadeOfPlaster
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:58 AM)
SaintMadeOfPlaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

How are they fucked over?

Are you being serious right now?

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

That's not being fucked over, that's doing your job in exchange for money.

So you're saying that companies shouldn't be held to a certain standard for how they treat their employees?
WordAssassin
(02-08-2013, 03:59 AM)
WordAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by AGITΩ

I'm so sad. I totally copy typed the Square shot themselves in the foot on UPlay's miiverse...and people think I'm dead serious to dead right...

I saw it. I drew a NeoGAF logo as a reply. Made me LOL that people were taking it seriously.

Really pissed off about this and it puts us as gamers, who vote with our money, in a really unfair position. We want to support the people who MADE the game, and we want to show that games like this have a home on our system. However we do not want to support or condone the mindset behind the decision to delay a finished product. Yet not buying it to stick it to The Man, also fucks over the people who worked so hard to make the game.

Awful. Just fucking awful.
Dave Meltzer
Banned
(02-08-2013, 03:59 AM)

Originally Posted by TheDrowningMan

Was the game delayed a couple of weeks prior to release and purely so that it can be ported to competing consoles?

No. But we don't care it's on competing platforms, do we? Isn't the delay the issue?

Sure, Ubi left it late, but Nintendo are doing the exact same thing with Pikmin and they have a history of delaying games just to try and optimise their potential sales.
Mihael Mello Keehl
Member
(02-08-2013, 03:59 AM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar

Originally Posted by CronoShot

Ricardo (username is Suzaku) I believe. I saw it earlier.

Thank you found it and Yeah! it
MrDaravon
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:00 AM)
MrDaravon's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheDrowningMan

Was the game delayed a couple of weeks prior to release and purely so that it can be ported to competing consoles?

This.

Also I realllllly doubt Pikmin 3 is done and they're just sitting on it. Not that they haven't done that in the past (supposedly Luigi's Mansion 2 has been done for 6+ months), but the Wii U desperately needs games right now and I don't think I've seen any obvious indications that they're just sitting on it or anything like that.
Dave Meltzer
Banned
(02-08-2013, 04:00 AM)

Originally Posted by EatChildren

Well, if the dev quote is true, then Ubisoft had them work on a cruch schedule (lots of overtime) pressured to meet the release date for the end of the month. They essentially had the dev team run the last stretch of a marathon, putting in a ridiculously (and often controversial) amount of hours, so they could get a project out the door in the highest quality.

And then turned around and said "oh lol now it isn't coming out until september".

It's a dick move.

Well I doubt Ubisoft wants to pay them past the allocated development period. They still had a certain budget, delaying the game doesn't mean they'd have happily paid the team an extra month to take their time wrapping it up.
jay
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:01 AM)
jay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

Are you all going to boycott Pikmin 3 considering its obviously being delayed purely for marketing and business reasons? There's no doubt that game was finished long ago.

Oh shit Dave schools Nintendo fans yet again!
Dave Meltzer
Banned
(02-08-2013, 04:01 AM)

Originally Posted by SailorDaravon

This.

Also I realllllly doubt Pikmin 3 is done and they're just sitting on it. Not that they haven't done that in the past (supposedly Luigi's Mansion 2 has been done for 6+ months), but the Wii U desperately needs games right now and I don't think I've seen any obvious indications that they're just sitting on it or anything like that.

It's a glorified Wii game. That shit is ready to go whenever they want it out, they're just trying to time it so they get a boost in the next financial year.

Hell they ported it from Wii to Wii U in the first place.
SaintMadeOfPlaster
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:02 AM)
SaintMadeOfPlaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

Are you all going to boycott Pikmin 3 considering its obviously being delayed purely for marketing and business reasons? There's no doubt that game was finished long ago.

Based off of what evidence? Also, we don't even have a release date for Pikmin 3 that's being abandoned mere weeks beforehand. This argument is ridiculous.
Vibed
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:03 AM)
Vibed's Avatar
I've only read a few pages of this thread, but wouldn't the best option be to buy it on the Wii U to prove it was an unnecessary delay while at the same time show Ubisoft that we do want more Rayman? Seems like a better option than boycotting the game.
Bel_Air_Jeff
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:04 AM)
Bel_Air_Jeff's Avatar
Can someone make a #freeRayman thread aimed at getting #freeRayman trending on Twitter.
SaintMadeOfPlaster
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:04 AM)
SaintMadeOfPlaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vibed

I've only read a few pages of this thread, but wouldn't the best option be to buy it on the Wii U to prove it was an unnecessary delay while at the same time show Ubisoft that we do want more Rayman? Seems like a better option than boycotting the game.

It's also a much more expensive option.
Dave Meltzer
Banned
(02-08-2013, 04:04 AM)

Originally Posted by SaintMadeOfPlaster

Based off of what evidence?

The evidence of common sense.

Nintendo do this all the time. You really think their localisation is so inept that it justifies the often comical delays between regions for their games? Yet when it's important they manage to do worldwide releases. This is standard practice for Nintendo, to object to Ubisoft moving a game and not them is hypocritical.

Sure, Ubisoft left it late. You can be irritated at that. But it and Pikmin are both "launch window" games being delayed for business reasons.
TheDrowningMan
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:04 AM)

Originally Posted by SaintMadeOfPlaster

Based off of what evidence? Also, we don't even have a release date for Pikmin 3 that's being abandoned mere weeks beforehand. This argument is ridiculous.

He is just (special) schooling Nintendo fans again!
3rdDimension
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:05 AM)
3rdDimension's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

That's not being fucked over, that's doing your job in exchange for money.

If this is how you feel, then maybe the artist and creators behind these games should just treat it as such... collecting a check and nothing more.

To hell with putting care into the final product so we could enjoy it. Just get it done, collect that check and call it a day!
Czigga
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:06 AM)

Originally Posted by JDSN

Fucking hell, so the game is essentially done? Yeah, guy with the suits, nice job at getting losing a sale.

the lost wii u sales will be more than made up by ps360 sales. which was the whole point.

also remember that boycotting the game also reinforces the notion that 3rd party games don't sell on wii u
TheDrowningMan
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Vibed

I've only read a few pages of this thread, but wouldn't the best option be to buy it on the Wii U to prove it was an unnecessary delay while at the same time show Ubisoft that we do want more Rayman? Seems like a better option than boycotting the game.

If it arrives at the 9.99 price point it would have to in order to tempt me to purchase between September (GTA V) and Nintendo's inevitable year end offerings, sure.
SaintMadeOfPlaster
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:07 AM)
SaintMadeOfPlaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

The evidence of common sense.

Nintendo do this all the time. You really think their localisation is so inept that it justifies the often comical delays between regions for their games? Yet when it's important they manage to do worldwide releases. This is standard practice for Nintendo, to object to Ubisoft moving a game and not them is hypocritical.

Sure, Ubisoft left it late. You can be irritated at that. But it and Pikmin are both "launch window" games being delayed for business reasons.

Read my edit.

Also, if you think they delayed Pikmin for business reasons...I don't know what to say. There's NOTHING left in the launch window. You'd think they'd put Pikmin there if it was ready.

Not to mention I'm about 90% sure I read that Miyamoto said the game was being delayed for polishing reasons (but that may be wrong).
Zoramon089
Banned
(02-08-2013, 04:07 AM)
Zoramon089's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

Are you all going to boycott Pikmin 3 considering its obviously being delayed purely for marketing and business reasons? There's no doubt that game was finished long ago.

What...when was Pikmin 3 given a release date?

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

The evidence of common sense.

Nintendo do this all the time. You really think their localisation is so inept that it justifies the often comical delays between regions for their games? Yet when it's important they manage to do worldwide releases. This is standard practice for Nintendo, to object to Ubisoft moving a game and not them is hypocritical.

Sure, Ubisoft left it late. You can be irritated at that. But it and Pikmin are both "launch window" games being delayed for business reasons.

It's not the same. Stop trying to make this nonsensical comparison. Nintendo never gave a firm release date for Pikmin. They simply said launch window and delayed it from there.
Vibed
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:07 AM)
Vibed's Avatar

Originally Posted by SaintMadeOfPlaster

It's also a much more expensive option.

Well I don't know, you don't have to get the Wii U itself. :P
Wolves Evolve
Just visiting Planet Fuck
(02-08-2013, 04:08 AM)
Wolves Evolve's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

The evidence of common sense.

Nintendo do this all the time. You really think their localisation is so inept that it justifies the often comical delays between regions for their games? Yet when it's important they manage to do worldwide releases. This is standard practice for Nintendo, to object to Ubisoft moving a game and not them is hypocritical.

Sure, Ubisoft left it late. You can be irritated at that. But it and Pikmin are both "launch window" games being delayed for business reasons.

This also ignores the massive jumps in visual quality each time Pikmin 3 is shown. That thing is in progress, sorry to break it to you.
Dave Meltzer
Banned
(02-08-2013, 04:09 AM)

Originally Posted by SaintMadeOfPlaster

Read my edit.

Also, if you think they delayed Pikmin for business reasons...I don't know what to say. There's NOTHING left in the launch window. You'd think they'd put Pikmin there if it was ready.

Not to mention I'm about 90% sure I read that Miyamoto said the game was being delayed for polishing reasons (but that may be wrong).

I'd speculate that they would rather get the potential boost for Wii U in the next fiscal year by releasing Pikmin after April. Who knows. But there's no way that game can't be ready to go. This is vintage Nintendo.
Last edited by Dave Meltzer; 02-08-2013 at 04:12 AM.
?oe?oe
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:10 AM)
?oe?oe's Avatar
Is this Dave guy serious or a joke character?
deviljho
Banned
(02-08-2013, 04:11 AM)

Originally Posted by ?oe?oe

Is this Dave guy serious or a joke character?

?oe?oe
SaintMadeOfPlaster
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:11 AM)
SaintMadeOfPlaster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dave Meltzer

I'd specialte that they would rather get the potential boost for Wii U in the next fiscal year by releasing Pikmin after April. Who knows. But there's no way that game can't be ready to go. This is vintage Nintendo.

That's actually a good point, but it's still incomparable to this Rayman situation.
Vibed
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:12 AM)
Vibed's Avatar

Originally Posted by ?oe?oe

Is this Dave guy serious or a joke character?

I'm sure he's 100% serious. Sometimes I still laugh though.
Blades64
Banned
(02-08-2013, 04:12 AM)
I think I'll buy this game used...
mattchuuu
Junior Member
(02-08-2013, 04:13 AM)
Ubisoft should apologize by giving the developers an extra 3-4 weeks paid vacation, like in march maybe, since the game is finished (for one platform...). I wonder if that would do enough in the eyes of gaffers, and more importantly the programmers. I don't know what developer contracts are like, but hopefully the developers will at least end up getting more revenue from this increase in the game's customer base. That's why this move was done after all, right? I don't have the info that Ubisoft does, but they must have had a convincing reason to think this move will be more fruitful.
Last edited by mattchuuu; 02-08-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Crapitalism
Banned
(02-08-2013, 04:13 AM)
So the suits at Ubisoft have made me wait on a game to make their pockets fatter. This makes me mad.

But if I dont buy the game when it finally releases I make the devs cry?

Being a consumer is hard.

Thread Tools