• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

I'd love to know what I've said that you find controversial.

Are you all dismissing the suggestion Nintendo has delayed games for months to optimise their strength or value? You think it's a coincidence all their big hitters tend to hit around Christmas? Was that just when every Zelda happened to be finished?

So the suits at Ubisoft have made me wait on a game to make their pockets fatter.

But if I dont buy the game when it finally releases I make the devs cry?

Being a consumer is hard.

Yeah, I haven't quite decided how I will tangibly react to this news.

Are you all dismissing the suggestion Nintendo has delayed games for months to optimise their strength or value?

You're saying if we're gonna boycott this game, we should boycott Pikmin 3 as well. Even though Nintendo never gave us a release date, and hasn't lied about exclusivity (not that it's possible for it to jump ship, but just the same). We also don't know the situation the devs are in. Maybe Nintendo has far more favorable working conditions.

It really is a shame, as this game will most likely be sent to die at that time of year. Meanwhile I'm anxious to have something to play on my Wii U. At that point in time I'll have other things to play.

Just a shame. I really feel for the devs.

I dunno, man.. Origins really struggled to find an audience, and now that people are excited about a sequel to a wonderful original game that is itself a resurgence of gameplay from a bygone era... we want less people to play it? Why?

Plus, isn't the WiiU underperforming as a console? Same thing happened in the early days of the PS3 - I don't think anybody should be surprised that companies want to make money off investments. I suppose the outrage is coming out of the previously stated exclusivity - but were there a lot of people that bought their WiiU for Legends?

Sandfox

Are you all dismissing the suggestion Nintendo has delayed games for months to optimise their strength or value? You think it's a coincidence all their big hitters tend to hit around Christmas? Was that just when every Zelda happened to be finished?

That's just a conspiracy theory and by that logic every company is holding back big games for the holiday. There is a difference between a finished game getting delayed 7 months and a game being slated for release during the holiday season.

So the suits at Ubisoft have made me wait on a game to make their pockets fatter. This makes me mad.

But if I dont buy the game when it finally releases I make the devs cry?

Being a consumer is hard.

The suits don't realize that their pockets will ultimately be thiner, lol. They could have exploited that they are the only mildly big release until Monster Hunter and Origins apparently already did best on the Wii too (I think the Wii version was the only one that charted at all in France for example, going by sales data released last year). , not to mention that Legends was already quite hyped by Nintendo. Now it's going to be another bomba in fall, when Wii U owners buy their Nintendo stuff and the PS360 crowd their GTA and whatever else comes in the usually jam packed fall.

That's just a conspiracy theory and by that logic every company is holding back big games for the holiday. There is a difference between a finished game getting delayed 7 months and a game being slated for release during the holiday season.

Exactly. Many AAA games have a "Holiday 20__" release schedule, and the developers aim to meet that date. That's far different than finishing a game in January and then just having it sit there for over half a year.

You're saying if we're gonna boycott this game, we should boycott Pikmin 3 as well. Even though Nintendo never gave us a release date, and hasn't lied about exclusivity (not that it's possible for it to jump ship, but just the same). We also don't know the situation the devs are in. Maybe Nintendo has far more favorable working conditions.

Read past words and get the point. All he's really saying is this is a business move that is not altogether uncommon. Some publishers do it under the cover of darkness, others in the shining light. They all just want to put the games in best position to maximize revenue.

antonz

Well, if the dev quote is true, then Ubisoft had them work on a cruch schedule (lots of overtime) pressured to meet the release date for the end of the month. They essentially had the dev team run the last stretch of a marathon, putting in a ridiculously (and often controversial) amount of hours, so they could get a project out the door in the highest quality.

And then turned around and said "oh lol now it isn't coming out until september".

It's a dick move.

So true. Crunch time is real life hell mode for developers. This is no way to treat employees as they have been giving above and beyond what is right to expect from them.

Darryl

Banned

do you really think that these huge studios don't schedule development times and just have a go at these game projects whenever they feel like it? marketing heads meet with the head developers and they work a schedule out. it's planned from the start

Kinyou

Well I doubt Ubisoft wants to pay them past the allocated development period. They still had a certain budget, delaying the game doesn't mean they'd have happily paid the team an extra month to take their time wrapping it up.
To me it sounds very much like Ubisoft will pay them past the allocated development period. (devs comment about adding some extra content)

It's not a conspiracy theory to say companies hold games back if they thing it'll do better in a different release window, it's common sense.

I'm not saying no game has ever been finished close to its release date. But Nintendo especially have a habit of magically being able to release games worldwide within a few weeks if they want to, or staggering it over 3-6 months. It's not random. And you look at Luigi's Mansion 2 and Pikmin 3, i think it's obvious they're being delayed for marketing reasons.

I'm honestly a little shocked at just how large the response has been to this announcement. The original thread was huge, and this one is growing fast as well.

You have to wonder if someone responsible for this decision is second guessing themselves at this point.

I had fully intended on buying Rayman Legends at the end of the month for $60. I'm desperate for some good games to buy for my Wii U, as I know a lot of other people are. This is a very slow time release wise.

But September? There isn't a chance I'll be picking this up at full price now. Way too many good games coming out then, and new consoles just around the corner. It's possible I might even ignore it entirely at that point, as the new consoles will have me mesmerized.

There is nothing more irritating in this industry than wanting to give someone your money, but they decide they don't want it.

Read past words and get the point. All he's really saying is this is a business move that is not altogether uncommon. Some publishers do it under the cover of darkness, others in the shining light. They all just want to put the games in best position to maximize revenue.

Yes, but this thread is about the fact that this is a business move that really fucks over the developers. It's a terrible, morally condemnable business decision. Nothing about any business decision regarding Pikmin 3 that we know of is worthy of all this negative attention.

Schnozberry

They originally said launch window for Pikmin 3, and now it's been moved until after E3. Either, way, it's not like this at all. Ubi had a firm release date, and the devs rushed to complete the game, and now they decide to delay the game 7 months to port it and release it in one of the busiest times of the year. In fact, not only will they be competing with heavy hitters on PS360, they'll likely be competing with Nintendo games on Wii U.

I really don't get it. Why delay a completed game in order to port it? Because you want to charge full price on all platforms? Almost no one bought Origins until after the price was slashed. If anything, you would have sold a few hundred thousand full price copies on Wii U.

Edit: My wife and I love the demo, and were looking forward to playing together. So, I will still buy the game and support the developers who deserve the credit for making a great piece of software. Ubi top brass can suck a fat dick though.

Nairume

Banned
I dunno, man.. Origins really struggled to find an audience, and now that people are excited about a sequel to a wonderful original game that is itself a resurgence of gameplay from a bygone era... we want less people to play it? Why?

Plus, isn't the WiiU underperforming as a console? Same thing happened in the early days of the PS3 - I don't think anybody should be surprised that companies want to make money off investments. I suppose the outrage is coming out of the previously stated exclusivity - but were there a lot of people that bought their WiiU for Legends?

It's not a matter of it no longer being exclusive. More people being able to play the game is great.

What sucks is that they are inexplicably delaying a most likely complete game so they can release it alongside the port. That's amazingly shitty of them.

Kimawolf

I'm honestly a little shocked at just how large the response has been to this announcement. The original thread was huge, and this one is growing fast as well.

You have to wonder if someone responsible for this decision is second guessing themselves at this point.

I had fully intended on buying this at the end of the month at full price. I'm desperate for some good games to buy for my Wii U, as I know a lot of other people are. This is a very slow time release wise.

But September? There isn't a chance I'll be picking this up at full price now. Way too many good games coming out then, and new consoles just around the corner. It's possible I might even ignore it entirely at that point, as the new consoles will have me mesmerized.

There is nothing more irritating in this industry than wanting to give someone your money, but they decide they don't want it.

And thats just it, I intended to pick it up too, because i actually enjoy Rayman, but there will be several good PC games and who knows what else out by then, plus the kid will be rearing for Pokemon, I'll wait to get the game now down the line.

JaseMath

I had fully intended on buying Rayman Legends at the end of the month for $60. I'm desperate for some good games to buy for my Wii U, as I know a lot of other people are. This is a very slow time release wise.

Late February was the right time for this game. I had this game per-ordered because I also want something new to play on Wii U. Not only is this one less reason to pick up a Wii U, it's also one less sale because between all the games from March onward, there's no incentive anymore for me to pick this up with so many other games vying for my gaming dollar.

lolol this is stupid as fuck. i would've bought this game at the end of the month too. now i'll probably just buy it next year when it's $10! smart move ubisoft!

evangd007

The suits don't realize that their pockets will ultimately be thiner, lol. They could have exploited that they are the only mildly big release until Monster Hunter and Origins apparently already did best on the Wii too (I think the Wii version was the only one that charted at all in France for example, going by sales data released last year). , not to mention that Legends was already quite hyped by Nintendo. Now it's going to be another bomba in fall, when Wii U owners buy their Nintendo stuff and the PS360 crowd their GTA and whatever else comes in the usually jam packed fall.

All retail 2D platformers perform better on Nintendo hardware. Nintendo is the only one to foster than audience. Sonic Colors (Wii/3DS) outperformed Sonic Generations (PS3/360/PC/3DS) as well.

sources:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/02/03/sega-reveals-sonic-generations-mario-sonic-sales
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/0...d-sonic-colors-sells-over-double-that-number/

Lol at people wanting to boycott the game after hearing this news.

"Ubi fucked over those devs! Well I'm going to fuck over Ubi by not buying the game!!"

*Rayman bombs.
*Developers are fucked over harder when they're shut down.
*Ubi's bottom line barely takes a dent and they move on with the next Assassin's Creed/Splinter Cell/Just Dance.
*Gamers: "Yeah, we showed them!"

antonz

"Ubi fucked over those devs! Well I'm going to fuck over Ubi by not buying the game!!"

*Rayman bombs.
*Ubi's bottom line barely takes a dent and they move on with the next Assassin's Creed/Splinter Cell/Just Dance.

The Development Talent that is used to make the Rayman games would be better served going elsewhere. This is Ubisofts top team being relegated to crap status with how they are being treated.

JDSN

Banned

*Rayman bombs.

You mean to tell me this could potentially end with Ubi montpellier being a free agent? Nice!

Linkhero1

*Rayman bombs.

They deserve to be working under a better company.

evangd007

*Rayman bombs.

#freeAncel

#freeUbisoftMontepellier

#freeBeyondGood&Evil2

I think I'm overdoing it.

Rhindle

It's not a matter of it no longer being exclusive. More people being able to play the game is great.

What sucks is that they are inexplicably delaying a most likely complete game so they can release it alongside the port. That's amazingly shitty of them.
It may be shitty of them, but its certainly not inexplicable. Late ports of games pretty much always bomb dismally.

It's not a conspiracy theory to say companies hold games back if they thing it'll do better in a different release window, it's common sense.

I'm not saying no game has ever been finished close to its release date. But Nintendo especially have a habit of magically being able to release games worldwide within a few weeks if they want to, or staggering it over 3-6 months. It's not random. And you look at Luigi's Mansion 2 and Pikmin 3, i think it's obvious they're being delayed for marketing reasons.
What you want to do in this situation.....

CronoShot

Oh Miiverse...

gzyde.jpg

Took a good 10 minutes to get modded, too.

faridmon

Is that a simple human exploitation? Seems a wank thing to do. At least, I hope the Dev is given a long holiday because of their hard work, but again, this is Ubi we are talking about. What a shitty company.

On the other hand, it would have sold better if it was announced for multiple consoles so I get it where they are coming from.... Until they decide they go against GTA V of all games.
What a shitty and clueless company Ubi is.

Ubisoft probably created a marketing/business plan based around Nintendo's estimates for Wii Uconsoles sold. When that got blown up, so did their plans. Maybe. Makes more sense than "They're screwing Nintendo and their fans."

Linkhero1

No, your problem is having to wait a few months to play a video game.

No. My problem is I would have bought the game in a few weeks since there's nothing to play on my Wii U and it's been collecting dust. By the time it's out the Wii U will have games out. I'll gladly pick it up once it hits the bargain bin though.

nbthedude

Well I doubt Ubisoft wants to pay them past the allocated development period. They still had a certain budget, delaying the game doesn't mean they'd have happily paid the team an extra month to take their time wrapping it up.

Exactly.

Publishers work on budgets. Budgets form the schedule since development time costs money. Whether or not the game was going to be delayed has little to do with the resources budgeted toward the game's development.

Top Bottom