• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

?oe?oe

If you don't mind, quote where I implied that.
When you generalise "Nintendo fans". The game is done and was to be released in 2 weeks. Taking the game away from fans is screwing them. It is a dick move. Obviously with this outcry from the forum, you may have noticed, it has nothing to do with what platform it was on.

Whether the business move was the right thing to do is a whole other story.

No, it's my position that delaying a game isn't screwing you. Is it your position that a delay = screwing? Ubisoft is a business. Businesses make decisions in the hope of improving their business. Whether ultimately they'll be right or not, their decision today was obviously made to improve the sales outlook of their property. To view what happened today as some nefarious plot to screw Wii U owners is just downright stupid.

You appear to be getting hung up on the word "intentionally." To intentionally do something includes the end result pertaining to that purpose. Maybe someone did not walk in to a board room and say "Let's fuck some people today," but they knew they were going to fuck some people today and did it. That you consider this wholly removed from business, something that apparently can not do anything wrong as long as the purpose is business-related (and, in being business-related, is wholly absolved of any other considerations) seems to be your issue, not really anyone else's.

Well

One of your issues.

rockx4

It was supposed to be a third party ND right? Wtf are they going to show?

That's why I'm curious as to what Iwata will say. I was hoping we would get a surprise "Nintendo Direct later today!" announcement to put out fires, but it didn't happen.

You appear to be getting hung up on the word "intentionally." To intentionally do something includes the end result pertaining to that purpose. Maybe someone did not walk in to a board room and say "Let's fuck some people today," but they knew they were going to fuck some people today and did it. That you consider this wholly removed from business, something that apparently can not do anything wrong as long as the purpose is business-related (and, in being business-related, is wholly absolved of any other considerations) seems to be your issue, not really anyone else's.

Well

One of your issues.

Maybe I missed something, but who got fucked by this news?

People who were looking forward to playing the game this month and now can't?

If you guys really want to get in to a discussion of word intensity on a video gaming message board, feel free to punch yourselves out on this one. I'm comfortable with my wording so far.

It likely does actually bother him.

Please tell me more about me. I find it ironic that someone who is bothered by a video game delay is mocking someone else's incredulity.

As much as I'm mad about the delay, I certainly didn't expect that much of a backlash

It will die down. It always does. It's just a shame to see some of the shitty things being flung Ubisoft's way, as if their move today had any malice intended.

It was supposed to be a third party ND right? Wtf are they going to show now? Lego/MH only?!

They have more. Do you think they were going to do an ND and just show Rayman, Lego, and MH? They have more.

CrunchyB

I give these publishers more credit than armchair analysts on a messageboard. [...]

Previously, I'd agree. But I think the these guys know what they're doing line of reasoning has taken a big hit these last years with banks crashing left and right, high-budget games and movies flopping all the time, companies going out of business, etc.

Hell, the first time I read about the sub-prime mortgages problem was on GAF(!) and that was years before some banks found out. I've personally experienced how shareholders and directors can act borderline retarded. People make mistakes, just because the stakes are high doesn't negate that.

Ubisoft may have more data to crunch than we do, but the joint release will still be a gamble. Releasing on WiiU first just seems to be the safer bet to me. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Looking at it cynically, perhaps this was always the intention from the business heads at Ubisoft; get a lot of attention and free advertising out of the fact that it's one of the more interesting games due in the early stages of the new Nintendo console - note that this is also the game featured more prominently on demo kiosks than any other, which suggest no small amount of input from Nintendo - before getting even more attention & free advertising when you announce that it's not coming any time soon and will be arriving on the other consoles as well.

Please tell me more about me. I find it ironic that someone who is bothered by a video game delay is mocking someone else's incredulity.

I am not sure how my feelings on a delay and your skepticism about his story are related or comparable, but I'm sure you'll be willing to explain.

I also don't see how it's ironic, but I'm assuming you'll be less willing to explain that.

Looking at it cynically, perhaps this was always the intention from the business heads at Ubisoft; get a lot of attention and free advertising out of the fact that it's one of the more interesting games due in the early stages of the new Nintendo console - note that this is also the game featured more prominently on demo kiosks than any other, which suggest no small amount of input from Nintendo - before getting even more attention & free advertising when you announce that it's not coming any time soon and will be arriving on the other consoles as well.

I don't think it's merely a coincidence that this news comes so close to Nintendo announcing that they're lowering their Wii U sales forecast by well over a million units.

Madouu

I am not sure how my feelings on a delay and your skepticism about his story are related or comparable, but I'm sure you'll be willing to explain.

I also don't see how it's ironic, but I'm assuming you'll be less willing to explain that.

I deeply respect your patience.

Other than just the delay, the reasoning behind a delay is weak and laughable, "We're doing it for the fans" Like this statement wouldn't come back at bite them in the future,
Hey Ubi as a Fan I want Rayman on my Vita, Farcry3 for 3DS and ZombiU for my 360
Come on its for the Fans!

People who pre-ordered the game and expected it to come out in two weeks. The developers that worked overtime to release the game on time.. only to get word that it will not be released until the end of the year in which the game will have very heavy competition. In addition, they now have to port the game for two more systems. Nintendo for going so far as to showcase Rayman Origins with their demo Kiosk game instead of Mario or Nintendoland for the sake of having faith in the game, only for Ubisoft pull this off.

All of this "for the fans." Yeah.. not too many people..

Need for Speed? The Croods?

You're probably right, but I'm extremely skeptical there's any meaningful third party support.

Probably a lot of Eshop stuff as well as a few multi-plats.

Rather than risk a ban for slap fighting with a fellow member, I'll let you take it to PM if you feel its important.

Kimawolf

This is amazing, people are actually not only wondering why people are mad about a game they have been preparing to play, or possibly preordered to play in 2 WEEKS, not 2 months, 2 WEEKS, and then defending the company saying "oh poor Ubisoft just needs to market it with the others, they arent screwing anyone" and telling fans who were waiting they are overreacting and to blame Nintendo in some aspect? Seriously?

zoukka

It will die down. It always does. It's just a shame to see some of the shitty things being flung Ubisoft's way, as if their move today had any malice intended.

Dude if you defending a company for delaying an almost finished product by half a year, you know you have some stock in your pockets. Ubisoft did not deliberately "screw" anyone over, but their business decision just happens to upset plenty of people. Rightfully so.

I don't think it's merely a coincidence that this news comes so close to Nintendo announcing that they're lowering their Wii U sales forecast by well over a million units.

I don't think that means an awful lot, or there'd have been exceedingly good reason to delay a lot of early 360 / PS3 titles by a considerable period. In fact, bar PS2 and Wii just about every home console over the last decade and a half should have been a "wait and see" project for 18 months. Nintendo's lowered sales target still sees Wii U's opening round as busy enough to leave it reasonably close to the most successful launches in console history.

RobbieNick

"SIGH!" This is just.....such a bad business decision by those corporate assholes. It does nothing but piss off everyone (except 360/PS3 owners who are most likely indifferent and could have still released the game otherwise) and makes them NOT want to buy this game come Sept.

The developers of the game are pissed.

Fans are pissed.

I'm sure Nintendo is pissed since they have nothing now until mid-march.

Nobody's happy in this scenario. Nobody wins! Why?! Just......ARRRGGH!

Also, if they think this will be more successful on other platforms, go look at De Blob 2, U Draw and Epic Mickey 2.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I mean, I'll definitely buy the game, but probably used or at a discount price seeing as how i'll have so many other games to play in September.

This is so shitty, poor developers. Fuck you Ubisoft, wtf.

Sounds like they had higher hopes for the wii U and feel stung by it or something, so they decided to say fuck it and aim elsewhere at their (Nintendo's) expense.

People shouldn't boycott anything though. If you want more of these games then you support it. Also you're supporting the people that actually worked to make it.

farnham

Banned
I can understand why they did this business wise, but boy did they fuck over WiiU owners

Really? Because i really cant. Give wiiu owners the game now. Cash in in february (no competition). Release game again in september. Cash in again. Everyone is happy.
Sounds like they had higher hopes for the wii U and feel stung by it or something, so they decided to say fuck it and aim elsewhere at their (Nintendo's) expense.

People shouldn't boycott anything though. If you want more of these games then you support it. Also you're supporting the people that actually worked to make it.

This rule does not apply to nintendo consoles

Rather than risk a ban slap fighting with a fellow member, I'll let you take it to PM if you feel its important.

I don't feel in danger of a ban, but if you don't think you can continue a conversation without personally insulting me, I would love to hear why.

It does seem strange that you made a snarky comment about my emotional investment in a game being delayed but don't think you can continue discussing it without risking breaking a rule. It's almost as if you spoke about my sensibilities without considering your own vehemence first.

Oh, hey.

An outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

That's one definition of irony.

Mmm, reminds of Capcom's "tests" for the Wii and how that turned out...RE4 Wii Edition sells well? RE rail gun shooter! Rail gun shooter somehow sells well? RE rail gun shooter 2! Rail gun shooter 2 sells poorly? Well, I guess Wii just doesn't have the right audience for Capcom games...

Mmm, reminds of Capcom's "tests" for the Wii and how that turned out...RE4 Wii Edition sells well? RE rail gun shooter! Rail gun shooter somehow sells well? RE rail gun shooter 2! Rail gun shooter 2 sells poorly? Well, I guess Wii just doesn't have the right audience for Capcom games...
that is true but here is a counter fact: Capcom sucks.

Don't forget good old Dead Rising: Chop til you drop.

God. Just... All of my mad.

This really is weird. Why?
Kind of horrible thing to do anyway.

I can't understand it. Being on the WiiU over the year would bring sales. Release on other consoles in the winter and you're in a great position.

Won't buy. And will avoid any Ubisoft games in the future on any platform. Sorry for the devs, but their bosses won't take my money.

Dude if you defending a company for delaying an almost finished product by half a year, you know you have some stock in your pockets. Ubisoft did not deliberately "screw" anyone over, but their business decision just happens to upset plenty of people. Rightfully so.

I'm defending the one third party that has shown an interest in a console I bought at launch, and was the only prominent third party to release an exclusive title alongside that launch, yes. Not because I own shares in their company. But because I possess an interest in the Wii U succeeding. "Fuck you, you greedy fucking assholes." isn't how I show that support.

Good points. What works on a Nintendo platform may not work anywhere else. U Draw and Epic Mickey 2 going multi-platform was not the greatest idea ever.

Except we already know Rayman works on multiple formats.

Also, if they think this will be more successful on other platforms, go look at De Blob 2, U Draw and Epic Mickey 2.

Good points. What works on a Nintendo platform may not work anywhere else. U Draw and Epic Mickey 2 going multi-platform was not the greatest idea ever.

CrunchyB

Yeah, lol, Capcom. Sometimes I think they are run by a bunch of rabid monkeys. Great games but boy do they suck at managing their franchises. They repeatedly dropped the ball on huge franchises like Street Fighter, Megaman and Resident Evil. That's insane.

Subtle

Iwata's preparing another apology/seppuku for the next Nintendo Direct.

Next Nintendo Direct screenshot

vb9M0dh.png

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm defending the one third party that has shown an interest in a console I bought at launch, and was the only prominent third party to release an exclusive title alongside that launch, yes. Not because I own shares in their company. But because I possess an interest in the Wii U succeeding. "Fuck you, you greedy fucking assholes." isn't how I show that support.
I'd like to follow you on Miiverse, same user name?

Poor Kamiya, he's been asked a lot today (in English and Japanese) if TW101 or Bayonetta 2 is going to go multiplatform. He keeps reminding them it's up to the publisher...which is Nintendo.

So, I think we're safe.

Top Bottom