• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

Love how this all happens over one credulous account from a "dev".

This is how reputations get formed - and many of them seem to form around BS.

Why do we need a dev to tell us this delay is BS?

The game was due out in weeks and gets delayed the same day it is announced for other consoles?

It is obvious the Wii U version is done and they are just sitting on it to release them all at once despite saying it was a Wii U exclusive launch title at last E3.

It just seems like an odd retort, "Well you see, GTA." Which of course go back to the point if Ubisoft felt like they would make the most money by releasing in February for only the Wii U they would have.

Looking at what releasing the same day as assassin's creed revelations did to Rayman Origins it shouldn't be hard to realize that releasing close to GTA, which is a bigger franchise, will lead to this game getting crushed sales wise
Love how this all happens over one credulous account from a "dev".

This is how reputations get formed - and many of them seem to form around BS.

Did you miss the part where a Ubisoft PR person admitted to that what the dev said was true? The dev was even later on confirmed to be The Ubisoft employee that presented the game at Ubisofts conference during the last e3

Scoops

Banned
WiiU Demo is terrific I wasn't going to by at full price but I definitely was going to buy once it got cheaper.

Now it's pushed back to a very crowded September and based off lower sales of Origins is pretty much being sent to die.

I understand if they want to release it on 360 and PS3 but they should've just released the WiiU version when it was ready. That way WiiU owners would've had something new to play, the development team is happy and they're not sending it to die.

That said I'll probably still get it once it gets cheaper but Ubi will definitely miss out on WiiU sales for pushing that version back.

WiiU Demo is terrific I wasn't going to by at full price but I definitely was going to buy once it got cheaper.

Now it's pushed back to a very crowded September and based off lower sales of Origins is pretty much being sent to die.

I understand if they want to release it on 360 and PS3 but they should've just released the WiiU version when it was ready. That way WiiU owners would've had something new to play, the development team is happy and they're not sending it to die.

They did say they were profitable on Origins despite the huge price drops right out of the gate. I agree with your sentiment that Rayman can't compete yet in the crowded arena.

The Miiverse is being used as a new form of protest, it's pretty interesting.

ubi00.png

ubi01.png

I think this is a mistake on Ubi's part both strategically and financially. There was big opportunity here to be had with the Wii U release and they could have likely talked Nintendo into providing support for their marketing.

What more should Nintendo have done? It was one of the first demos on the eShop and got a big focus at E3 and subsequent events...

This is not a decission taken by the development team, this comes from really really high up, so please don't pick on the game.

I think the person responsable for this decision needs to be identified, exposed and reveal the reason for such decision to delay a pretty much complete game with so much hype on the Wii U crowd.

hokahey

Went from definite buy to never buy. I will not reward decisions like this. Fuck you Ubisoft. You've permanently lost me as a buyer of your games.

Somnid

Anyone could have guessed it would get ported, that wasn't really the issue. It's the way in which they are handling it.

The Wii U version sounds about done, and the lineup on any system (but especially Wii U) is open, it has full access to a spotlight. Delaying it does a few things, it stirs up ill will and it forces it into a busier time of year when smaller franchises like Rayman are unlikely to do as well. A number of people have expressed as much, they are looking for a new Wii U title, or a February game in general.

Nothing prevents them from handling this better. If the Wii U game is essentially done then release it. If you want to port it then release it now, and then release the port when you're done. If you want to add content then release now, release the port and then patch in the new content on the Wii U version.

What they've done is just make a bunch of people legitimately angry and that's never what you want.

Eusis

As someone who owns a Nintendo console, I have learned my lesson, never trust any 3rd party publisher.
Japanese ones seem more often reliable to at least get that game there even if they put an updated port out elsewhere later. Hell, in some cases that updated port never leaves Japan anyway or runs worse, so it's a moot point.

Fuck, can you imagine the reaction if they did this with RE4? WHOOPS WE WANT IT SIMULTANEOUSLY GC/PS2 NOW DELAYED UNTIL OCTOBER. Though they announced the PS2 port well in advance of release as I recall, so I guess even then it'd be better.

RuGalz

Sounds like Ubi decided to save on some marketing money by combining all the releases together, which really is not that uncommon. However, they made the mistake of letting people know it's near complete first.

watershed

Banned
So its confirmed to be legit then. Awful situation all around. I get the idea of a simultaneous multiplat release but September isn't a great time. Surely there's money to be made now on the Wii U as the only good new game?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
wow.

I really feel sorry for the developers. Sure it sucks as a gamer, but we will move on. But to work crazy hours on a game that would have been in the spotlight when released three weeks from now as a WiiU exclusive, to now having a finished product being pushed back to a September currently housing GTA V and the imminent release of the rest of the next gen consoles is just.... sad.

braves01

Banned
The Miiverse is being used as a new form of protest, it's pretty interesting.

ubi00.png

ubi01.png

I think this is a mistake on Ubi's part both strategically and financially. There was big opportunity here to be had with the Wii U release and they could have likely talked Nintendo into providing support for their marketing.

Nice, you caught my post. I'm actually not mad at Ubi really just fishing for Yeahs. I probably would've bought Rayman if it came out in Feb., but there's way too much other stuff in the fall for me to bother buying it then.

FyreWulff

Anyone could have guessed it would get ported, that wasn't really the issue. It's the way in which they are handling it.

The Wii U version sounds about done, and the lineup on any system (but especially Wii U) is open, it has full access to a spotlight. Delaying it does a few things, it stirs up ill will and it forces it into a busier time of year when smaller franchises like Rayman are unlikely to do as well. A number of people have expressed as much, they are looking for a new Wii U title, or a February game in general.

Never underestimate the ability of shareholders influence to piss away long term money in favor of short term gains.

Launch window? You can release just about anything and get great sales. What do they do? Push into the holiday season so it has to fight against GTAV and other games.

I guess they did the same to Beyond Good and Evil, it's like Ancel can never catch a break.

Darryl

Banned
The game will sell more in its new timeslot, on the new systems it's now on, than it ever would on Wii U at its now old 2013 release date. Anyone thinking otherwise is just..wrong.

it'll sell more $20 units, for sure. whether it could've made more overall profit on the Wii U is a mystery to us all.

What more should Nintendo have done? It was one of the first demos on the eShop and got a big focus at E3 and subsequent events...

i remember someone saying before that nintendo was doubling all marketing dollars as an incentive for anyone releasing a launch title. i wonder if that one was true or if it was speculation/i misread. it seems like a logical promotion.

Hero

What fucking bullshit. Feel extremely sympathetic for the dev team.

It's not my job to pity the developers, grow some balls and stand up to the higher ups within the publisher. Don't cry to us, I'm not their friend They want my money? Well, they ain't getting it now. Simple as that.

Are you fucking serious? How old are you? What do you think would happen if the entire development team tried to oppose their publisher? They'd fire all their asses and just get some other entity to handle the port from Wii U to the other systems anyway.

Actually you have my thinking the other way around. I think Legends could help Nintendo move units, so by helping them even further with marketing Nintendo could also benefit as part of an intended saturation campaign.

Drago

This whole thing is bullshit, but I'm not gonna boycott the game because of it. I still really want to play it.

I may even pick up the PS3 version now at this point instead of the WiiU one, just because it would match my PS3 copy of Origins (plus I love the DS3 D Pad)

I do have a WiiU preorder for $40 though, so if I can't get below $40 for the PS3 ver. then I'll just stick to WiiU

What fucking bullshit. Feel extremely sympathetic for the dev team.

Are you fucking serious? How old are you? What do you think would happen if the entire development team tried to oppose their publisher? They'd fire all their asses and just get some other entity to handle the port from Wii U to the other systems anyway.

Right, what he reported did is already stepping into terrifying category. I'm not sure it's been done before.

Thank your bosses, Ubi Montpellier, now you'll have another bomba (and BG&E2 will further struggle to become a thing?). Would have paid full price in feb, now I might just wait another couple of months in a probably jam packed fall until the game hits the obligatory 20€ - like everyone else. Could have been a decent success as the only showcase Wii U title in the beginning of the year, too bad.

BlazinAm

Well you think about it, how much momentum would they lose if the Wii u version came out ahead of the other consoles? Why spend for two marketing campaigns? Also this game will have the fall sales release to boost it's sales, so it will look better.

I think the blame should lie at Nintendo's feet for not providing a better environment for this game's release.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The thing that makes this most bizarre is that Mascot Platformers tend to sell far more on Nintendo platforms.

The combined sales of Sonic Generations on 360, PS3 and 3DS was half the sales of Sonic Colors on DS and Wii.

Kimawolf

Well you think about it, how much momentum would they lose if the Wii u version came out ahead of the other consoles? Why spend for two marketing campaigns? Also this game will have the fall sales release to boost it's sales, so it will look better.

I think the blame should lie at Nintendo's feet for not providing a better environment for this game's release.

We can't really blame Nintendo for a 3rd party wanting to change the release date of their game... its like blaming MS and Sony for the delay of GTAV.

RetroGreg

This was going to be a day 1 purchase. So disappointed. Oh well. I think the game would have really benefitted from all the game starved Wii U owners right now.

We should also blame SEGA. If they didn't stop making hardware it would have been a SEGA exclusive so it's their fault to not provide a better environment for this game.

Seriously? How in hell is Ubisoft lies the responsabilities of Nintendo? After all Nintendo did for advertising this game?

MrDaravon

That really sucks for the devs. It's a lose-lose; if you buy the game now in September you're rewarding what they're doing, but if you don't buy the game you're "punishing" the devs and reinforcing the inevitable bomba. Shitty situation all around.

What I really don't get though is why if they're going to delay for a simultaneous launch they're doing it in September. Fall releases will already be hitting, GTAV (which will probably be the biggest game of the year) is out then, and we'll likely be just a couple of months from 1 or 2 new console launches. Why not at least do it a month or two earlier? If the Wii U version is done I can't imagine it would take a full 7 months to get it ported over would it?

udivision

A lot of the attention this game is getting is because there aren't any other games releasing now, so ironically Nintendo did give it a better environment. Look at it this way, if this was happening a year or so from now, after WWHD, a 3d mario/kart, or just another 2d platformer like Yarn Yoshi, people would care less. (A year from now meaning the release date would be Fall 2014)

It's ok the game was going to be a sales flop regardless especially after everyone found out you only play as Rayman for like 20% of the game
You mean you play as Murphy 20%.

No, fall means it will get overlooked because of the advertising blitz of other games. Pokemon X and Y will be taking up spots. GTA V will be taking up spots. Mario Kart U will be taking up spots, and Wind Waker HD will be taking up spots.

Wii Tank

For practical matters, you'll have to wait for some months for the game to be released and will most likely serve for more content to be added and do it better. For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wifes, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news.

Yeah, they definitely lost a sale here from me. Not even a legitimate reason for delaying it other than for the ports. I can't imagine how that must feel for the devs. Go to hell Ubisoft

JaseMath

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but why not release the Wii U version as planned and the PS3/360 versions in September? Seems simple enough.

kirby_fox

Banned
My birthday is next month and this would've been perfect to get since it comes late Feb and my birthday is early March.

But the game being done, and delaying it for business decisions for a port to other systems when it's been touted for months as an exclusive is just shitty practice by higher ups.

My guess is that they saw attachment rates on Wii U were mediocre, and Origins poor sales on all consoles would lead to worse sales on Wii U overall. A port to other systems would allow more coverage in a slow growing market on Wii U, as the userbase on Wii U grows.

Basically, they expect this game to hit $20 quick and want to get as much as they can at that $60 price.

What they didn't think of was competition from other games coming late in the year that would cannibalize the sales of this game, or how this would reflect on them as a company to gamers who were weeks away from getting the game. Telling people the game is done and you're holding it back so systems that weren't originally announced can get ports is just bad PR- especially after the hype built around the game coming out and what Nintendo had done for the game.

Seriously can't think of a game a console maker hyped up as exclusive a ton and had a release date on the calendar- only to see it get delayed and ported before releasing ONLY to port it to other systems. Though I'd love to hear of some.

tnaden

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but why not release the Wii U version as planned and the PS3/360 versions in September? Seems simple enough.

Ah, but you see.. that would make sense. There is no place for that in this industry.

See all these nice bridges and connection Ubisoft built with Nintendo over the last few years? Yea they set them on fire.

evangd007

Are the people who would buy a Rayman 2D platformer the same type of people who buy GTA? Can't imagine much cross over between the two demographics.

People can have eclectic tastes, but more importantly there is competition of awareness. Rayman could have had posters and in-store displays in late February when there would be a dearth of releases. Gamestop employees would ask if you wanted to pre-order it in the weeks leading up to release. In September? All GTA.

Top Bottom