• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny viral marketing campaign/teaser sites begin

noffles

Banned
Ba6PtEM.png

Crack it open, GAF.

BraXzy

Is it just me, or does the left side look like there is some major blurred text slowly revealing?

EDIT: Has anyone clicked on the instructions link?

Our sky is filled with unseen signals. Radio-frequency emissions pulse and flit and dance all around us. Yet even a singing patch of sky can be observed, and transformed into a range of frequencies.

Can you hear it? No, not yet. It has not yet arrived. But together we can receive its call.

Imagine combining the observations of thousands across the globe on an object meandering through the heavens. The resulting array would be quite large. Quite powerful. This is your task.

Alone it will not be enough. Coordination and timing is needed. Observations must be made simultaneously.

Your window will be small. Five minutes at most. But windows may be reopened. And the distance between observer pairs will be key.

There will always be limitations in clarity, so the results must be archived for study. Highly technical observers may be required. Detailed frequency analysis is recommended.

Everything that belongs to us will be ours, but only if we create the capacity to receive it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

TheOddOne

Credits to Waiting for Destiny:
Geomancy

The Bungie Day article also included a mysterious set of seven symbols at the bottom under the filename “particles.png”:

particles.png

Each symbol was also made available for use as a forum avatar on Bungie.net; one of the symbols appears inside the collar of the three Destiny shirts sold in the Bungie store:

geomancy_label.jpg

These symbols are most likely Geomantic figures. There are sixteen total used in Geomancy, which is an ancient Arabic method of divination. I find it interesting that “in Renaissance magic, geomancy was classified as one of the seven “forbidden arts,” along with necromancy, hydromancy, aeromancy, pyromancy, chiromancy (palmistry), and spatulamancy (scapulimancy).“

geomantic_figures.png

Bungie.net forum members feverish tried to interpret the seven Bungie Day symbols, scouring the internet for Geomancy tutorials. Some tried to translate the symbols into binary, but the garbled results seemed to be a dead end. One user thought the symbols could be translated into a phone number, resulting in some poor soul being harassed by dozens of misguided callers trying to solve a puzzle. DeeJ quickly put an end to that wrong turn and later called off the search in the July 13th mail sack:

xNiGhThAwKx19: What can you tell us about the enigmatic symbols on both the shirts and in the Bungie Day announcement article?
DeeJ: I can tell you nothing about them that you don’t already know, tenacious investigator: They exist. You will learn more about their role in our new universe Soon™.
And, I intend to tease you with them whenever they come up in conversation. Look! There they are again…
And if you start dialing your phone while looking at that, I will kick your ass.

It seems the trail has gone cold. For now.

Someone post the image urls that you get from the site. Mine are both 02106099, so I'm assuming each person's is unique.
Edit: and I'm pretty sure they changed since I last checked. Maybe if more people access it they'll get clearer?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
on the instructions page the bolded words are OCIAYTE anyone good a making words ?

Muzzy

Your node will remain active for 5 minutes, but may be reactivated as necessary.
Distributed, synchronous effort required.

I guess we have to repeat the action until it's filling out but since there's a 7 days countdown I doubt we'll get anything interesting today.

Does everyone's page start with the symbol "Amissio"

102_141.jpg

"Amissio in the first House signifies the sick not to live long, and sheweth a short life; signifies a man of disproportioned members of his body, and one of a wicked life and conversation, and who is marked with some notorious and remarkable defect in some part of his body, as either lame, or maimed, or the like."

Fuck. Now I am getting sucked into it.

I'm thinking that if more people access this within a five minute period of each other, more of the image will be revealed. Seems to be the only thing we can really do with the page.

So basically, keep f5ing.

Hato-kun

Does everyone's page start with the symbol "Amissio"

http://the-equinox.org/vol1/no2/images/102_141.jpg[/IMG

"Amissio in the first House signifies the sick not to live long, and sheweth a short life; signifies a man of disproportioned members of his body, and one of a wicked life and conversation, and who is marked with some notorious and remarkable defect in some part of his body, as either lame, or maimed, or the like."

Fuck. Now I am getting sucked into it.[/QUOTE]

And to proceed you have to change the symbols to Populus, which also makes sense with the whole introduction thing found.

Our sky is filled with unseen signals. Radio-frequency emissions pulse and flit and dance all around us. Yet even a singing patch of sky can be observed, and transformed into a range of frequencies.

Can you hear it? No, not yet. It has not yet arrived. But together we can receive its call.

Imagine combining the observations of thousands across the globe on an object meandering through the heavens. The resulting array would be quite large. Quite powerful. This is your task.

Alone it will not be enough. Coordination and timing is needed. Observations must be made simultaneously.

Your window will be small. Five minutes at most. But windows may be reopened. And the distance between observer pairs will be key.

There will always be limitations in clarity, so the results must be archived for study. Highly technical observers may be required. Detailed frequency analysis is recommended.

Everything that belongs to us will be ours, but only if we create the capacity to receive it.

I bolded things that stuck out to me in the instructions.

Top Bottom