• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Speedy Blue Dude
This Post Brought To You By the Microsoft Xbox One™, The All-in-One Entertainment System
(02-12-2013, 02:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Killthee

So the countdown ends on the 18th....MS Durango teaser right before PS Meeting?

That'd be amazing.

I can't wait till the community solves this! I love Viral Marketing, Bungie is amazing at it, and the community handles it so amazingly.
les papillons sexuels
Banned
(02-12-2013, 02:47 AM)

Originally Posted by StargazerXL

I think I know what Bungie (or their PR company) has done (or are trying to simulate). The terminology being used in this teaser is very similar to that used in radio interferometery, a technique where signals from individual radio telescopes are combined electronically to produce highly detailed images on the sky.

Collections of such telescopes are called "arrays" (like the Very Large Array in New Mexico). A given telescope is sometimes called an "element." Pairs of telescopes in an array are "baselines." In a radio interferometer, signals from each pair of telescopes are interfered and the resulting product, a "visibility," is measured. A given pair of telescopes produces a measurement in spatial frequency space, the "uv-plane." The ensemble of visibilities are Fourier transformed into an image.

What I think may be happening is that every visitor's IP is being traced and the distances to other IPs being worked out, making "baselines" of which an ensemble is being used to slowly reveal the image on the left as more people check out the page. The image on the right is the distribution of spatial frequencies so far covered. As the image on the right becomes more white, with more page views ("global observatories"), more spatial frequencies will have been covered and the image on the left will become more legible. The "frequency gaps" noted beneath the image on the right indicate that the spatial frequency coverage is not uniform, leading to significant aliasing and artifacts in the image on the right.

this makes sense, and it's interesting to see just how quickly more and more people are viewing it, the right plane is filling very fast.
_woLf
(02-12-2013, 02:48 AM)
I love these viral marketing things Bungie does!
Visualante2
(02-12-2013, 02:50 AM)

Nyunpa
(02-12-2013, 02:53 AM)
So the blurry stuff on the left picture that looked like a flag is actually text and as more people go onto the page it will eventually become clear. Cool.
RoKKeR
(02-12-2013, 02:54 AM)

I think I know what Bungie (or their PR company) has done (or are trying to simulate). The terminology being used in this teaser is very similar to that used in radio interferometery, a technique where signals from individual radio telescopes are combined electronically to produce highly detailed images on the sky.

Collections of such telescopes are called "arrays" (like the Very Large Array in New Mexico). A given telescope is sometimes called an "element." Pairs of telescopes in an array are "baselines." In a radio interferometer, signals from each pair of telescopes are interfered and the resulting product, a "visibility," is measured. A given pair of telescopes produces a measurement in spatial frequency space, the "uv-plane." The ensemble of visibilities are Fourier transformed into an image.

What I think may be happening is that every visitor's IP is being traced and the distances to other IPs being worked out, making "baselines" of which an ensemble is being used to slowly reveal the image on the left as more people check out the page. The image on the right is the distribution of spatial frequencies so far covered. As the image on the right becomes more white, with more page views ("global observatories"), more spatial frequencies will have been covered and the image on the left will become more legible. The "frequency gaps" noted beneath the image on the right indicate that the spatial frequency coverage is not uniform, leading to significant aliasing and artifacts in the image on the left.

Incredible.
ThatsMytrunks
(02-12-2013, 02:54 AM)

Destiny images: 8:48pm to 9:48pm
blamite
(02-12-2013, 02:55 AM)

Getting closer?
wwm0nkey
(02-12-2013, 02:55 AM)
Ok guys 5 more minutes and then we attack the link
Speedy Blue Dude
This Post Brought To You By the Microsoft Xbox One™, The All-in-One Entertainment System
(02-12-2013, 02:56 AM)
Surely between GAF and Bungie.net alone we should get enough people on the site to crack this no?

Has anyone posted this in any of the bigger gaming communities?
Computron

What I think may be happening is that every visitor's IP is being traced and the distances to other IPs being worked out, making "baselines" of which an ensemble is being used to slowly reveal the image on the left as more people check out the page. The image on the right is the distribution of spatial frequencies so far covered. As the image on the right becomes more white, with more page views ("global observatories"), more spatial frequencies will have been covered and the image on the left will become more legible. The "frequency gaps" noted beneath the image on the right indicate that the spatial frequency coverage is not uniform, leading to significant aliasing and artifacts in the image on the left.

So do you think there could be messages hidden in the right image (Geomask.png)? Or is essentially a fancy progress bar?

I had initially thought that it was an image that had been converted using a Fast Fourier Transform plugin/filter in Photoshop, similar to this .
(The frequency space images included at the link look similar to the geomask.png, and they have a similar symmetry)

However, when I tried to use an inverse FFT plugin on the image, the resulting image was just static.
Last edited by Computron; 02-12-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Jest Chillin
Thinking about Stargazer's theory and the request from Misriah Solutions... then seeing how the image has changed.. I think rather than just logging the IP's and revealing overtime the key may end up being the simultaneous logging on of varies IP's within that same 5 minute window.
iMax
(02-12-2013, 02:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Speedy Blue Dude

That'd be amazing.

I can't wait till the community solves this! I love Viral Marketing, Bungie is amazing at it, and the community handles it so amazingly.

I don't think we'll hear anything until GDC. But, I'll bet Microsoft pulls a Facebook and shoves invites out to the media on the 20th to steal Sony's thunder.
RoboPlato
I'd be in the dick
(02-12-2013, 02:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Killthee

So the countdown ends on the 18th....MS Durango teaser right before PS Meeting?

This is a multiplatform game.

Anyway I activated my node and can't find anything else to do right now. Phooey.
aj1467
(02-12-2013, 02:58 AM)
Moa
http://ilovebees.com/

I'm being told that's changed today or something?
RoKKeR

Originally Posted by iMax

I don't think we'll hear anything until GDC. But, I'll bet Microsoft pulls a Facebook and shoves invites out to the media on the 20th to steal Sony's thunder.

...then what is the ARG counting down to? It clearly leads to next Monday.
Speedy Blue Dude

Originally Posted by RoboPlato

According to the contract it's exclusive to Durango and Xbox for one year.
kittens

Originally Posted by Moa

I would have a total nerd breakdown if so.
Jtwo
Banned
(02-12-2013, 02:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Moa

Man, ILB is the coolest thing ever. I should give it another listen.
_woLf

Originally Posted by Moa

Access denied? Pretty sure it's been that way for a long time.
RoKKeR

Contract suggests it has MS exclusivity for a year. It could have, of course, changed since the time of writing the contract.
Hato-kun

Originally Posted by Moa

What the fuck?
Cyborg771

Originally Posted by Speedy Blue Dude

Surely between GAF and Bungie.net alone we should get enough people on the site to crack this no?

Has anyone posted this in any of the bigger gaming communities?

I know it's on /r/games on reddit, but not sure about /r/gaming which is a lot bigger.
Dirtbag
what would Breesus do?

Originally Posted by les papillons sexuels

that contract was released several years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be launching on 4 platforms.

because the one thing that contracts do often, is change?
Ragnarok Flames
(02-12-2013, 03:00 AM)
I think the Output is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_of_Life

A "Flower of Life" figure consists of seven or more overlapping circles, in which the center of each circle is on the circumference of up to six surrounding circles of the same diameter. However, the surrounding circles need not be clearly or completely drawn; in fact, some ancient symbols that are claimed as examples of the Flower of Life contain only a single circle or hexagon.

Bungie
RoKKeR
(02-12-2013, 03:00 AM)
Alright everybody, hammer the webpage.
wwm0nkey
(02-12-2013, 03:01 AM)
Ok guys everyone go on now.
GrizzNKev
Here's mine.

everyday math
This is all I get. ?

Blueblur1
(02-12-2013, 03:02 AM)
Here's mine.

wwm0nkey

Ragnarok Flames

iceatcs
(02-12-2013, 03:03 AM)

Originally Posted by RoKKeR

Contract suggests it has MS exclusivity for a year. It could have, of course, changed since the time of writing the contract.

It could be. Especially now you can use PSN login (with facebook & google as well) on Bungie.net.
RoKKeR
(02-12-2013, 03:04 AM)

Originally Posted by iceatcs

It could be. Especially now you can use PSN login (with facebook & google as well) on Bungie.net.

Yeah, and the leaked title shot has both the 360 and PS3 logos.

MrGreencastle
http://imgur.com/8hTJ6x7,qwpxO0e

Hmmm... Let's see if something comes of this.
LycanXIII
They all look the same.

Originally Posted by RoKKeR

Yeah, and the leaked title shot has both the 360 and PS3 logos.

Could still be time exclusive.
iMax
They're all the same. That wasn't what I expected.
outunderthestars
He's not our sharpest knife.

Originally Posted by iceatcs

I can't see why Bungie would time this out for the same timeframe as the PS4 launch unless they were planning on being there...
Killthee
helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
(02-12-2013, 03:05 AM)

Anyway I activated my node and can't find anything else to do right now. Phooey.

I'm assuming its still a timed next gen exclusive for MS.
Last edited by Killthee; 02-12-2013 at 03:08 AM.
everyday math

Originally Posted by LycanXIII

They all look the same.

Could still be time exclusive.

Brilliant observation my good man.
wwm0nkey
I vote we hammer it again!
LycanXIII
(02-12-2013, 03:06 AM)

Originally Posted by everyday math

Brilliant observation my good man.

I get a cookie?

Originally Posted by wwm0nkey

I vote we hammer it again!

It is different now! Not much, but it is.
RoKKeR
Mine at 10:04 EST:

Crucio
The quickest 5 minutes ever. This is fun! :)
Last edited by Crucio; 02-12-2013 at 03:12 AM.
AngryFacing
Here are my images:
http://imgur.com/a/ckYqP
everyday math
Omg I cant unsee face in the pic ;_;

vidcons
Banned
(02-12-2013, 03:07 AM)
there is nothing to figure out at this point, it's all on a timer
outunderthestars
He's not our sharpest knife.
I am not a very bright man.
Last edited by outunderthestars; 02-12-2013 at 03:10 AM.
ThatsMytrunks
The white clusters in the geomask are definitely getting much bigger, but I'm not convinced it's because of traffic.