• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

It's possible that price is actually pretty reasonable now, since the stock of spare AGS101 screens for backlit GBAs has dried up.

Yeah, I'm looking back through listings now. I still think it's reasonable for the combination of graphite + AGS-101 + CIB. Lots of people claiming they're selling AGS-101s that aren't actually. Also lots of non-graphite colors.

Olly88

Color patterns, brighter screen.

Yeah I try to look for the brighter screen but with the quality of most pictures on eBay it's still hard to tell :p

I remember hearing something about the colour patterns in the past, is there a place that specifies which ones go with the different model numbers?

Yeah I try to look for the brighter screen but with the quality of most pictures on eBay it's still hard to tell :p

I remember hearing something about the colour patterns in the past, is there a place that specifies which ones go with the different model numbers?

Distinguishing features of the AGS-101 are (more details):
  • The box states "Now with a BRIGHTER backlit screen!" to distinguish the new model from the older, frontlit models.
  • The backlit SP has the Model Number AGS-101 on the label on the bottom of the unit, whereas the original frontlit SP has the Model Number AGS-001[16]
  • The mini button at the top center of the console's lower face is now referred to in the manual as the "Brightness Switch" and selects between two levels of brightness, "Normal"(Low) and "Bright"(High) with no off setting. On the frontlit models this button turned the frontlight on or off only. With the backlight set to "Normal"(Low) the brightness still surpasses the original AGS-001 with the frontlight on.
  • When powered off, the backlit model's screen is completely black, but the frontlit model's screen has a slight grey tint to it.

Also, for NA at least, the only standard colors the AGS-101 comes in are Pearl Blue, Pearl Pink, and Graphite. When I was looking for mine, I saw a ton of listings claiming to be AGS-101, but clearly showing an Onyx Black unit, so watch out for that.

Olly88

Distinguishing features of the AGS-101 are (more details):

Also, for NA at least, the only standard colors the AGS-101 comes in are Pearl Blue, Pearl Pink, and Graphite. When I was looking for mine, I saw a ton of listings claiming to be AGS-101, but clearly showing an Onyx Black unit, so watch out for that.

Cool, thanks for the info :)

I'm in the UK so it seems like I might have a bit of trouble finding one, at least for a semi-decent price. Ah well I'll just have to hope I get lucky and stumble upon one some day, and maybe get a Micro to keep me going for now.

putermcgee

I found a CIB WarioWare for GBA for 180 yen the other day and couldn't pass it up. I love that damn series, and you can't beat that price. However, the JP version's manual came with a bunch of cool stickers that you use to play mad-libs and other things in the manual pages, and the previous owner had done gone and used them already. I'll probably keep my eyes out for another copy in the hopes of getting an unused manual, but I still think I got a crazy good deal.

I found a CIB WarioWare for GBA for 180 yen the other day and couldn't pass it up. I love that damn series, and you can't beat that price. However, the JP version's manual came with a bunch of cool stickers that you use to play mad-libs and other things in the manual pages, and the previous owner had done gone and used them already. I'll probably keep my eyes out for another copy in the hopes of getting an unused manual, but I still think I got a crazy good deal.

CIB anything for 180 yen sounds amazing. Congrats!

That price is ridiculous. One of my favorite GBA titles - hell, one of my favorite games of all time.

Peltz

Grabbed an AGS-101 on eBay recently. Not sealed, but new in box, pristine, and the color I was looking for. Super fortunate. The seller was awesome too; apparently they bought it as a potential gift a decade or so ago and never actually ended up giving it to anyone.

Now I just need more games. Time to comb through this thread for some ideas.

Wait, so they did make an onyx 101?

Peagles

I have all the Everdrives I need for now (I think I can wait for the GB one) so I think I'll save up for next year's Black Friday and do a big blowout.

I just wanted to say a local store had a huge sale on Eneloop stuff so I got a charger with 4 AAs, and another 8 pack each of AAs and AAAs for just a little over $70 NZD. Usually the charger with 4 AAs costs $60 here so I think I did pretty good!

Now I can use my rumble pak too!

Peagles

Is there a place where i can order GB micro faceplates anymore?
Couldnt find one...

Only Nintendo Australia has official ones brand new as far as I know.

Some here have lucked out on eBay buying second hand ones for a decent price.

Third party ones are easier to get but they're a bit different to the originals. You can get them from Aliexpress or sometimes Amazon UK and eBay have kits that include a couple of faceplates.

not been spending as much time as I thought with my GBC since pokemon ORAS came out, but I'm pretty happy.

Outside of Frontlight and prosound mods, are there any interesting things people do with the GBC? Looking to experiment with my extra.

Only Nintendo Australia has official ones brand new as far as I know.

Some here have lucked out on eBay buying second hand ones for a decent price.

Third party ones are easier to get but they're a bit different to the originals. You can get them from Aliexpress or sometimes Amazon UK and eBay have kits that include a couple of faceplates.
Do you know what colours Nintendo Australia has available, Peagles? I already have a red one. Keen to get some others.

Peagles

Do you know what colours Nintendo Australia has available, Peagles? I already have a red one. Keen to get some others.

I haven't made an order with them in a long time so not sure what they have now. I'm going to order a Gamecube controller adapter from them really soon though so I'll try see what they have. Any other colours you'd be keen on?

I haven't made an order with them in a long time so not sure what they have now. I'm going to order a Gamecube controller adapter from them really soon though so I'll try see what they have. Any other colours you'd be keen on?
I have red and black colours already. Perhaps green, blue, white. Even yellow.

Also, so they have GameCube controller adaptors in stock? If so, any chance you can order me on with yours, please?

Fireblend

Banned
Woah, Ninty Australia has micro faceplates? Any chance we could group and order a small batch? i'd love to have an original one in addition to the one from RCG.

Peagles

Woah, Ninty Australia has micro faceplates? Any chance we could group and order a small batch? i'd love to have an original one in addition to the one from RCG.

Probably not, they're low in stock and they're also strict on limiting orders (usually to two pieces per person).

The ones you've been doing. Was going to try to get one later on once I find a good GBA to get modded.

I haven't actually had anyone send me a system to mod yet, I've just been sending out pre-modded systems. Total costs would depend on how much you spend shipping it to me and the state of the GBA you send, but on my side the costs are about $160, more depending on where you live and whether you need tracking or not.

Fireblend

Banned
Quick question: What screwdriver do I need to replace my GB Micro battery? I've been playing with it more lately and I've noticed it can barely last an hour or two with max backlight.

true Gek

Quick question: What screwdriver do I need to replace my GB Micro battery? I've been playing with it more lately and I've noticed it can barely last an hour or two with max backlight.
I suggest you to buy an Akku-king battery. It lasts around 4 hours with the max backlight and the price is not so bad (around 15€ with shipments)

Ever since I saw this thread when I was a lurker, I decided to start a GameBoy (and DS) collection. Can't post pics at the moment, but some of the games I've gotten the past few months include:

GB:
Donkey Kong Land 2
Pocket Monsters Green
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Yellow
Super Mario Land 2

GBC:
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Sakura Taisen GB
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Gold

GBA:
Boktai 2
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Pokemon Emerald (2 copies. One was fake, but was able to swap it out for a legit copy)
Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
SRW OG1 (2 copies. One CiB, one loose)
SRW OG2
Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I was also able to get a GBA SP AGS-101 thanks to my dad. The screen is amazing.

Ever since I saw this thread when I was a lurker, I decided to start a GameBoy (and DS) collection. Can't post pics at the moment, but some of the games I've gotten the past few months include:

GB:
Donkey Kong Land 2
Pocket Monsters Green
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Yellow
Super Mario Land 2

GBC:
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Sakura Taisen GB
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Gold

GBA:
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Pokemon Emerald (2 copies. One was fake, but was able to swap it out for a legit copy)
Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
SRW OG1 (2 copies. One CiB, one loose)
SRW OG2
Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I was also able to get a GBA SP AGS-101 thanks to my dad. The screen is amazing.
Welcome. Nice little collection you have there. Here's to it growing.

^^^^ Thanks.
I forgot to mention I had also gotten Boktai 2, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Also forgot to mention games I had already owned:

Pokemon Blue, Silver, and Sapphire.
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman
Mega Man Zero 2 and 4
Some Incredible Hulk game I can't find.
And one of the Sonic X GBA videos I also can't find. Still have the box though.

dcx4610

Anyone have any thoughts on the replacement GBA SP shells?

I had an AGS-001 and hated the screen and decided to take the plunge. I bought a really beat up AGS-101 with zero dead pixels and decided to replace the shell.

The shell is not official but it's so ridiculously close to the real thing, you really need a trained eye to see the difference. The buttons and triggers are crisp, the speaker sounds identical and the everything down the hinges are cloned.

The only difference I've noticed is the plastic around the volume on mine is not cut perfectly straight. Also, the bottom plastic under where the cart inserts is a little thinner Other than that, it feels like having a brand new Game Boy Advance and it's nice having a AGS-101 with the Onyx Black color.

662888235_o.jpg

A definite warning to people looking for AGS-101. eBay looks to be flooded with GBAs being sold as mint/new condition and they are just using the replacement shell so what you are getting is not technically an official GBA. Still, I think they are really close and if your SP is in rough shape, a shell is worth getting with how cheap they are.

I had an AGS-001 and hated the screen and decided to take the plunge. I bought a really beat up AGS-101 with zero dead pixels and decided to replace the shell.

The shell is not official but it's so ridiculously close to the real thing, you really need a trained eye to see the difference. The buttons and triggers are crisp, the speaker sounds identical and the everything down the hinges are cloned.

The only difference I've noticed is the plastic around the volume on mine is not cut perfectly straight. Also, the bottom plastic under where the cart inserts is a little thinner Other than that, it feels like having a brand new Game Boy Advance and it's nice having a AGS-101 with the Onyx Black color.
A definite warning to people looking for AGS-101. eBay looks to be flooded with GBAs being sold as mint/new condition and they are just using the replacement shell so what you are getting is not technically an official GBA. Still, I think they are really close and if your SP is in rough shape, a shell is worth getting with how cheap they are.

i only tried 1 unofficial sp shell and it was garbage, so I can't really comment. Good to hear there are good ones though, might replace my junk one, then.

662888235_o.jpg

I ordered this shell around 6 months ago and havent gotten the courage and time to transplant it, you have inspired me to get to it :p

dcx4610

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on a problem I'm having with my Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance cart.

I bought it from an indie shop (and unfortunately didn't test it out until a month after I bought it) and the game is not saving data. After playing and using the save room, if you power off and turn it back on, nothing was saved.

I figured the battery had run dry so I cracked open the cart and it looks like someone had already replaced the battery in the past because it was wrapped in electrical tape. I replaced the battery and the game is still not saving. The pins look in good condition, albeit bent a tad and it looks the solder points are good. Is there anything I'm missing?

I looked up and saw the Castlevania Double Pack uses flash ROM rather than a battery so I guess worst case I'll just track that down but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

Pictures of said cart...

vWR9w8R.jpg

Tci09cf.jpg

kjKVR7N.jpg

make sure the tabs are very well connected to the battery (and ofc that you're using the correct type of battery). I'm not as familiar with GBA games so I'm not a huge amount of help here, but those are the things that immediately sprung to mind.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So what's the best way to go about selling off a reasonably large (40+) collection of GB/GBC/GBA games? I have decided that, while it was fun hunting, collecting, and playing a bunch of these games...I just don't have much desire to keep all of them around.

Top Bottom