• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted Wii U Demo!Dat EA support.[Alex Ward of Criterion Games]

Malvingt2

Article
"The Wii U has had a bit of a bad rap - people have said it's not as powerful as 360, this, that and the other. That, by and large, has been based on apples to oranges comparisons that don't really hold water. Hopefully we'll go some way to proving that wrong," he says.

"Nintendo don't speak about that, it's not their core focus at all but they did their 'Iwata Asks' about the hardware and it talks consistently about how they got to keep it quiet with low power consumption, and they totally did that... but what they haven't really championed is how they delivered something that could do this as well [he points to the 50-inch Panasonic playing host to Most Wanted U]... It's possible. It's work. You have to think about it and put time and craft and effort and whatever else into it but you have to do that for everything that's worth doing in this business... I think people should either go all-in or not bother."

"When they first looked at the specs on paper a lot of developers said, 'Well, you know this is a bit lightweight' and they walked away. I think a lot of people have been premature about it in a lot of ways because while it is a lower clock-speed, it punches above its weight in a lot of other areas," he explains.

"So, I think you've got one group of people who walked away, you've got some other people who just dived in and tried and thought, 'Ah... it's not kind of there,' but not many people have done what we've done, which is to sit down and look at where it's weaker and why, but also see where it's stronger and leverage that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-most-wanted-wii-u-behind-the-scenes

a lot of info about from Dev demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eH3DmUgokk

Ign: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/13/need-for-speed-most-wanted-wii-u-developer-commentary

Here's most of it

-Based on PC VERSION of game

- took a break after 360 etc. version was done- came back with a small Wii U team- more RAM in the Wii U -> PC textures and assets – lighting and draw distances better

-Criterion read Iwata Asks of shared experiences and philosophy of Wii U

-Miiverse support with Autolog

-God Mode Wii U GamePad (drifting, getting stuck, make it easier in police chases/change from day to night at tap game pad)

-Off TV Play

-Mii support in game (mii appearing on billboards)

(Wii mote/nunchuck/wheel support/pro controller already confirmed months ago)

-Started after break in September 2012 from other versions, due to finish in few weeks with minor fixes

-Due end of March

Hmm, the fact they've actually upped the visuals and put it new modes means it's actually had a bit of thought put into it. Tempted to pick it up..

luffeN

Some tidbits after 2 minutes:
- took a break after 360 etc. version was done
- came back with a small Wii U team
- more RAM in the Wii U -> PC textures and assets

watch the rest!

Effect

Okay I'm feeling good about this game after watching some of this video. PC assets. New mode. Changing from night to day on the fly. Off TV play as well. Nice list of control methods from the gamepad to the Wii wheel. Not to bad at all. If Criterion themselves are really the ones doing this all the better. Might have to add it to the buy list after all.

glaurung

What is this, Most Wanted Pussy Edition?

They've scaled all of the challenge to nil. Do not want.

Even though I own the game on PS3, I'd buy it again just to give my WiiU some stretching.

What is this, Most Wanted Pussy Edition?

They've scaled all of the challenge to nil. Do not want.

Even though I own the game on PS3, I'd buy it again just to give my WiiU some stretching.

They've allowed you to do a co-op mode that makes the game easier. The single player game is the same as it ever was.

I think it sounds cool.

JaseMath

Color me impressed. I passed this up on the HD twins. Is it better than NFS: Hot Pursuit or Burnout: Paradise?

PC quality? SHIT! :O Did the PC version double the res of the textures or just have them uncompressed?

EA is really loving the RAM, they doubled the res of the textures in FIFA as well, luckily they're doing something similar in a more exciting and more polished game.

Will buy! Very left field to see EFFORT by EA. o_O

1st next-gen NFS confirmed? :p

Effect

The CO-Driver mode give the same feeling Boost Mode in NSMBU gives me. Can be great if done well or you could grief the hell out of someone as they try to race by turning things on and off at random.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What are the biggest differences between NFS on PS360 and on PC? Is it possible to have pics for comparisons?

FyreWulff

Gamepad is essentially "keys to the city" in co-driver mode.

Autolog integrated with Miiverse, so miiverse comments show up at the end of races, etc.

glaurung

What are the biggest differences between NFS on PS360 and on PC? Is it possible to have pics for comparisons?
The PC version is atrocious on so many levels. Unless they have patched it enough to make it into a completely new game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A fun game on any platform. PC version looks stellar outside of that poorly optimized LOD setting that loads too much geometry in at times. Luckily turning it down seems to do the trick while not really looking that much worse. I can't remember the name of the setting as I haven't played it for a month or so.

Eideka

Banned

PC has high res textures, better motion blur, HDR and DX11 stuff like light scattering and HDAO.
The increased power of DirectX 11 hardware has also allowed us to implement features such as real-time ambient occlusion, and light scattering algorithms which are absent in the console version.”

Most Wanted PC will support 12 players in a multiplayer game, as opposed to just eight on the consoles. The DirectX 11 support allows for more shiny additions like “SAO, light scattering, high dynamic range motion blur, high resolution textures, advanced specular lighting models, headlight shadow casting, enhanced VFX quality, and enhanced shadow quality levels.”

The PC version is atrocious on so many levels. Unless they have patched it enough to make it into a completely new game.
No, it looks better/run better on my system. The latest patch solved my FPS issues as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Console:

360_037.png

360_012.png

360_017.png

PC:

Effect

So Wii U port is base on the PC version? Did I get that right?

That seems to be the case.

I do like that the developer made a point that they didn't want to just port the game and have people feel they didn't care about it. It seems, at least some, understand they have to put out a quality effort.

I think I'm in for a buy now with the new modes, etc.

Also looking like, if he's being truthful, the game wasn't done last year as originally thought. Or perhaps they went back to it again and added more.

I knew I trusted Criterion for a reason. I've been waiting for the Wii U version of this (and I had Forza Horizons to play when it came out, so I wasn't wanting for a racing game). I'm glad that's paid off. I mean, waiting for the Wii U version of Colonial Marines has paid off too, because I was able to cancel my pre-order yesterday after the reviews started coming in, but I'd really like a new fun game to play on Wii U, and I am glad to hear that Criterion haven't fucked up.

And happy to hear that the rumours saying the game was done last year and that it didn't have any special effort put into the Wii U version have turned out to be misplaced.

Yay! Criterion!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hehe, I can see myself trying to 'help' my wife with her performance driving in this game ; ) Criterion, you have my attention!

jwhit28

It will be funny to see how fast EA jumps on or off the bandwagon depending on this game. EA Sports games being 30FPS on PS3 and 60FPS on 360 early last gen was the deciding factor for 360 over PS3 for me.

I've always wanted a definitive car game for a Nintendo home console since I fell in love with cars at an auto show.

Criterion just gave it to me. :)

Top Bottom