• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patent: Playstation..."Eyepad"?

Sorry if old, I didn't see anything in a search. Apparently it was filed in July of last year?

It seems Sony has been working on a variety of controllers for PS4.

This new patent which was filed in 2012, is about something called the ‘PlayStation Eyepad’.

It has the form factor of a tablet and can work in conjunction with cameras that are actually on both sides of the device to generate 3D virtual buttons and more. You can then use it as any other normal controller. It also features a touch-pad, which the PS4 controller was also rumored to have.

Source & Source

[0029] Referring now to Figure 2, an input device 1000, hereafter referred to as the EyePad, is typically a panel, tablet or slab-like device comprising one or more illuminated regions 1010, two stereoscopic video cameras 1030A(L,R) and 1030B(L,R), and optionally a touch sensitive surface 1020 (hereafter referred to as a touchpad).

Here’s the official description for it:

An input device for an entertainment device comprises a first main surface, one or more side edges, one or more motion sensors operable to generate motion data, and a wireless communicator for transmitting the motion data to the entertainment device, wherein an elongate illuminated region extends along some or all of one or more of the side edges; in addition the input device may comprise a first stereoscopic camera and a second stereoscopic camera having respective viewpoints located at opposing corners of a first area of the main surface, the field of view of each stereoscopic camera encompassing a first volume of space immediately above the first area, wherein the first and second stereoscopic cameras are operable to generate respective stereoscopic images, from which a first depth map and complementary second depth map may be generated for opposite sides of an object placed within the first volume of space.

jNWFyZFhnab2s.png

ps-eyepad-1.jpg

Tizoc

For some reason I was thinking of Snake's eye patch from MGS4 when reading the thread title.

Foshy

It has the form factor of a tablet and can work in conjunction with cameras that are actually on both sides of the device to generate 3D virtual buttons and more. You can then use it as any other normal controller. It also features a touch-pad, which the PS4 controller was also rumored to have.
So, like this?

Just one of many Sony patents that may or may not be used in the future.

Omikaru

Game Website Headline: "Is this the PS4 controller?"

Article: "No it's not, but it's a probably been filed by lawyers who regularly scour the R&D floors of tech companies all around the world looking for stuff to patent for the hell of it *blahblahblahsnark*"

I've done the work for you, guys.

Like somebody said this would work better with AR glasses. You would see the 3d objects in fact over your pad, and be able to interact with them thanks to the map the 2 cameras provide.

krizzx

Everyone seems to be avoiding saying that Sony is (as what may be inevitably so) copying Nintendo.

So now we have smartglass and the "eyepad". I wonder the people who insisted on the controller with a screen in it just being a gimmick and praising the others for not having one will have to say now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This was posted in a couple of other threads.

I think the 'eyepad' moniker is just the inventors having a little fun in their patent description...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Everyone seems to be avoiding saying that Sony is (as what may be inevitably so) copying Nintendo.

So now we have smartglass and the "eyepad". I wonder the people who insisted on the controller with a screen in it just being a gimmick and praising the others for not having one will have to say now.

This patent has nothing to do with remote play (which, you know, Sony's offered on select games for quite a long time on their portables).

It's about having a touchpad on a controller with a depth camera or pair of cameras around the touchpad so that a volume around the trackpad can detect and track objects - like fingers or other smaller objects. If the touchpad happened to be a screen it would be sort of irrelevant to the functionality this patent describes.

Anyway, by the sound of rumours this isn't in the final PS4 controller, the depth-cameras around the touchpad. Maybe it's an idea they were toying with during development of PS4's controller though.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Shinobi, either you work for the industry...
Or this is how you find news...

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/30014/1318107-sethbriars_hd.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

[url]http://n4g.com/[/url]

Your welcome.

Dennis

Banned
This will obviously not work because it is too close to Apple iPad.

But there is no reason not to use the word 'pad' but better.

i is a tiny letter but the PlayStation brand can create an image of bigger and better with the

'Sony Maxi Pad'

Mondriaan

The name "eyepad" seems to indicate that the engineer responsible for the patent was not really being completely serious. Besides, coming up with actual product names is probably marketing's job.

Top Bottom