• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Literally makes me sick.

Trust me sir, you're not the only one disgusted by these tactics. Rising above the clear corporate machine is something we as gamers must do. Onward we must push in order to secure a place where we as gamers are no longer taken advantage of. Look, I know some of you fine folk are okay with blatant plagiarism in the industry. Let us reject in this instance though the clear shenanigans and gimmickery this controller represents. I know I won't be there day 1 for PS4's launch. Nor will I be there for day 2 of PS4's launch. Gone are the days where honor was a concept that pervaded the Japanese gaming industry.

Mandatory Kinect with Durango: Booooooo!
Mandatory gimmicks within Orbis controllers: Yaaaaaay!

zvD3g.gif

Orayn

To everyone thinking it will be much larger than the DS3 - I line up the Triangle and X buttons:

zl5W1za.png

Not that much bigger. Basically as wide as the bottom legs of the DS3 - maybe 3/4" wider in total.

Are you sure the buttons aren't bigger? At first glance, I was thinking they were slightly larger than before.

rdrr gnr

Trust me sir, you're not the only one disgusted by these tactics.
Rising above the clear corporate machine is something we as gamers must do.
Onward we must push in order to secure a place where we as gamers are no longer taken advantage of.
Look, I know some of you fine folk are okay with blatant plagiarism in the industry.
Let us reject in this instance though the clear shenanigans and gimmickery this controller represents.
I know I won't be there day 1 for PS4's launch.
Nor will I be there for day 2 of PS4's launch.
Gone are the days where honor was a concept that pervaded the Japanese gaming industry.
Tell me you're serious.

headphone jack... wtf is everyone talking about.

that makes no sense. if you use headphones they get run through a receiver... It would be a huge waste to wirelessly transmit the audio signal to the controller to be processed and exported through a headphone jack... let alone a huge waste of power/battery life.

Trust me sir, you're not the only one disgusted by these tactics. Rising above the clear corporate machine is something we as gamers must do. Onward we must push in order to secure a place where we as gamers are no longer taken advantage of. Look, I know some of you fine folk are okay with blatant plagiarism in the industry. Let us reject in this instance though the clear shenanigans and gimmickery this controller represents. I know I won't be there day 1 for PS4's launch. Nor will I be there for day 2 of PS4's launch. Gone are the days where honor was a concept that pervaded the Japanese gaming industry.
1580bxf3ucq.gif

Orayn

headphone jack... wtf is everyone talking about.

that makes no sense. if you headphones they get runthrough a receiver... It would be a huge waste to wirelessly transmit the audio signal to the controller to be processed and exported through a headphone jack... let alone a huge waste of power/battery life.

I think it's a 2.5mm connector for headsets.

Mikey Jr.

No, as I learned with my Wii U, I hate looking down at a second screen. Immersion killed. I'm not sold on the touchpad, but I also haven't seen it in use. I blindly assumed the backtouch pad on the Vita would be cool, it wasn't. I look forward to seeing how this one is used.

No, I like focusing on just one screen while I play.

At that size? not at all.

A screen that size wouldn't be useful in the actual game. I was thinking more of a quick way to use your xmb, check messages, etc.

Something like that.

Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off rumble from the N64 controller, motion controls with the Sixaxis, and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about controllers, (I'm an expert) but honor and shame are huge parts of them.

Lucifon

Megaton Explanation

Not sure if this has been said before, but noticing how small that touch-pad is to me I can't see any real gameplay use.

However! What if the touchpad had mappable buttons/areas by devs? E.g the left area might glow with a little map icon in an RPG and players touch it to bring up the map in game.

Or I could be completely wrong...

Borman

The first PS3 Sixaxis controller prototypes were also thicker, wired only, and had 2 USB ports. Just remember that.

KevinCow

Banned
I worry that the touchpad won't be as useful as it could be because the analog sticks will get in the way. I could easily see the base of your thumb hitting the stick by accident.

Now you're trying to play it off. It's ok, we won't judge you.

jsnepo

I like the real, formerly-Nintendo-patented D-pad, and that the should buttons are a little farther back. The face not being raised out is probably a good idea too.

I didn't notice this at first but you're right. This is excellent news.

Perkel

Banned

iby1h1G7MoeEIW.gif

Megaton Explanation

Not sure if this has been said before, but noticing how small that touch-pad is to me I can't see any real gameplay use.

However! What if the touchpad had mappable buttons/areas by devs? E.g the left area might glow with a little map icon in an RPG and players touch it to bring up the map in game.

That would be great. Devs could add buttons as needed.

Orayn

Megaton Explanation

Hard to say whether or not there's a single color display under it, but tapping the left/right side as extra buttons would be a very easy, straightforward thing to use it for. Sliding up/down either side would also work well as zoom control or a scrolling weapon/item selector.

Top Bottom