• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console War III: Sony's first jab at Microsoft: "Jump Out", "Yoga Isn't Gaming"

Hasney

I don't get the Yoga thing. :/

250px-Wii_Fit_PAL_boxart.JPG

Group of people with differing viewpoints possibly? The negative always appears to be the loudest, which is why it's noticed more often.

True, I think I've been living in the ridiculous levels of optimism of the, what I call, the Kaz GIF thread for too long :/

You do realise you're part of neogaf right?

Yes, and quite proud of it tbh, I don't recall questioning my membership.

Hasney

What was the last good launch game you played?

New Super Mario Bros U and if we're talking just good and not great, ZombiU & Condemed. Super Monkey Ball was good on the Gamecube too, Halo for XBox and then that Dreamcast launch was pretty gold.

True, I think I've been living in the ridiculous levels of optimism of the, what I call, the Kaz GIF thread for too long :/

I'm with you there. I think the first half of my day at work is reading all the unread posts in that thread.

Sony would kill for a phenomenon such as Wii Fit.

Totally. But if they're doing an advert for the "hardcore" to watch their meeting, it works in a good call to arms type of way.

Valkyria

Banned
What does my age have to do with anything? What nonsense? If you do not own every single gaming device you are talking nonsense? is that what you are trying to tell me?

I am confused, I also admit I am new to this side of GAF ( hardcore gaming/fanboy side of things) and to be honest I am finding many posts fascinating, in a sad sort of way.

It's really important if you believe that older people can have as many system as they like, and comparing to cars, 400$ to 40.000$. Pretty much the same.

Ahah these xbox fan's replies with games from playstation are hilarious! The butthurt is so big but understandable when durango is pretty much confirmed to be the ultimate casaul shovelware (weaker) console with kinect 2.0.

Third place again for xbox.

b4820209_Wtf_is_this_shit.jpeg

Console wars are in full swing!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are you joking?

Well, the last piece of real gaming hardware that was launched was Vita and that had boat loads of great games on day 1. Most launches have traditionally featured solid games right out of the gate.

iceatcs

I think some had burned out from stress by latest rumours and Kaz gifs. Nothing wrong with that but I think some need calm down and try annoy some of the fanboy comments and adblock Kaz gifs if you don't like.

IrishNinja

Console War III? You might be able to consider N64 vs PSX a civil war, but even then it's not the third.

Wait, how is this only the "third" console war?

i admittedly didn't go through all 6 pages here, but yeah, i'm lost here too

No, it'll be the 6th generation post-crash. Wikipedia counts 2 generations pre-crash.

true, all the more confusing for 3rd war though

soul calibur wait, just good, not great? uncharted golden abyss, mario WU, uh...i liked elebits

derFeef

Ahah these xbox fan's replies with games from playstation are hilarious! The butthurt is so big but understandable when durango is pretty much confirmed to be the ultimate casaul shovelware (weaker) console with kinect 2.0.

Third place again for xbox.

image.php

soul calibur wait, just good, not great? uncharted golden abyss, mario WU, uh...i liked elebits

Maybe referring to this being round three between Sony and Microsoft?

Protome

Thread delivers. But any new "console war" will never rival the playground banter that was "ZX Spectrum vs. C=64". Happy days.

I always preferred the game vs game battles compared to the console wars.

There just hasn't been anything to compare to the old "Quake vs Unreal Tournament" days.

It's the 3rd console war between MS and Sony. Dunno why people aren't able to deduce this

Draft

Only Sony can save us from paying $60 a year to get killed by children in COD. Please, Sony, deliver us from evil, Amen.

"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"
- Thomas Hesse, Sony BMG's president of global digital business, responding to the outcry over Sony's DRM Rootkit spyware uncovered on its music CDs

"You can look at the software that they sell. All their licensed kid stuff. So, what we're doing with the PlayStation Portable is really establishing a new marketplace, and establishing, frankly, a new beachhead."
- Peter Dille, Sony US Senior Vice President of Marketing, on comparing PSP to DS

“The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS , it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, on comparing PSP to DS in an interview with MCV

"It’s probably too cheap…"
– Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the $499 to $599 price point

"(the PS3) is not a game machine…"
- Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the machine’s beefy hardware architecture

"The name of the game is not market share, it’s how fast we (Sony) can grow the industry."
– Ken Kutaragi, regarding competition from Microsoft and Nintendo

"…for consumers to think to themselves ‘I will work more hours to buy one’. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."
– Ken Kutaragi, explaining their marketing goals for the PS3

"We do not care."
– Kaz Hirai, current President of Computer Entertainment, regarding competition from Microsoft and Nintendo

"I don't think the battle would be any different with or without Grand Theft Auto... I don't think it (losing Grand Theft Auto would) hurts us. No, I really don't."
- Jack Tretton, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO

"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1200 bucks for it."

"The first five million are going to buy it (PS3), whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."
- David Reeves, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO

"Microsoft does not concern us. Microsoft is not a technology company."
- Nobuyuki Idei, Sony chief corporate adviser in an interview with BBC NEWS

"A bit pricey."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, speaking about Nintendo Wii in an interview with the age.com.au

"We have a lot of respect for Nintendo, but with a December launch, how much stock are they going to get at a AU$400 price point? What is the consumer offering? So I don't think anyone will do more units than a PS2 this (Christmas)."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, regarding the launch of Nintendo Wii

"Sorry you didn't have the opportunity to buy a PS3 this year, but I'm sure it beats lining up in a queue for hours on end only to be told the store has sold out."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Australia in an interview with the age.com.au

"There’s this sort of misunderstanding that the Blu-ray disc player for movies is somehow burdening the console with unnecessary cost. That is completely not true... Once we had that storage capacity on Blu-ray Disc, adding the movie playback functionality was extremely cost-effective, [the cost] is actually non-existent."
- Phil Harrison, regarding the wholesale cost of the system’s Blu-ray player

"Nobody will ever use 100% of PS3's capability"
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios speaking with MTV news.

"The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, in an interview with GameSpot

"I have no concerns about the competition."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios speaking at the Game Developer Conference

"I don’t think we’re arrogant."
– Phil Harrison, regarding consumer perception of Sony

"We're certainly not interested in Gimmicks."
- Kaz Hirai0 E32k6, right before showing off Eye of Judgement.

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokemon."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios

"But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick."
- Sony executive Phil Harrison cuts to the chase with his incisive analysis of the Nintendo DS in gaming paper MCV.

"Consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK - a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more."
- Sony's take on the consumers, as told by UK Managing Director Ray

---------------------------------------

Welcome back, Sony.

"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"
- Thomas Hesse, Sony BMG's president of global digital business, responding to the outcry over Sony's DRM Rootkit spyware uncovered on its music CDs

"You can look at the software that they sell. All their licensed kid stuff. So, what we're doing with the PlayStation Portable is really establishing a new marketplace, and establishing, frankly, a new beachhead."
- Peter Dille, Sony US Senior Vice President of Marketing, on comparing PSP to DS

“The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS , it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, on comparing PSP to DS in an interview with MCV

"The name of the game is not market share, it’s how fast we (Sony) can grow the industry."

"…for consumers to think to themselves ‘I will work more hours to buy one’. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

"We do not care."
– Kaz Hirai, current President of Computer Entertainment, regarding competition from Microsoft and Nintendo

"I don't think the battle would be any different with or without Grand Theft Auto... I don't think it (losing Grand Theft Auto would) hurts us. No, I really don't."

"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1200 bucks for it."

"The first five million are going to buy it (PS3), whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."

"A bit pricey."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, speaking about Nintendo Wii in an interview with the age.com.au

"We have a lot of respect for Nintendo, but with a December launch, how much stock are they going to get at a AU$400 price point? What is the consumer offering? So I don't think anyone will do more units than a PS2 this (Christmas)."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, regarding the launch of Nintendo Wii

"Sorry you didn't have the opportunity to buy a PS3 this year, but I'm sure it beats lining up in a queue for hours on end only to be told the store has sold out."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Australia in an interview with the age.com.au

"There’s this sort of misunderstanding that the Blu-ray disc player for movies is somehow burdening the console with unnecessary cost. That is completely not true... Once we had that storage capacity on Blu-ray Disc, adding the movie playback functionality was extremely cost-effective, [the cost] is actually non-existent."

- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios speaking with MTV news.

- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, in an interview with GameSpot

- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios speaking at the Game Developer Conference

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokemon."

- Sony executive Phil Harrison cuts to the chase with his incisive analysis of the Nintendo DS in gaming paper MCV.

"Consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK - a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more."

Welcome back, Sony.

We're so lucky to have Grudgekeepers like you, and your meticulous grievance archive so near at hand, too!

"We do not care."

"A bit pricey."

Welcome back, Sony.

Do you have one for Microsoft and/or Nintendo? This quote archive work is quite fascinating.

gaming_noob

Anyone else concerned about "Playstation changes gaming"? Better graphics is not changing gaming...I hope it's not related to a new way of playing, unless it's Oculus Rift.

We're so lucky to have Grudgekeepers like you, and your meticulous grievance archive so near at hand, too!

You mad? It's copied straight from a blog site.

Top Bottom