• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

MajorGravy
Junior Member
(02-15-2013, 06:36 PM)
MajorGravy's Avatar
Seeing the Activision logo at the bottom unsettles me. I know BUNGiE will make a fantasmic game but Activision will charge a ton for maps or other DLC. I hope the game comes with a ton of maps and a FORGE sort of mode to make our own. :)
Eideka
Banned
(02-15-2013, 06:37 PM)
Do we know what platforms the game will release on ?
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(02-15-2013, 06:37 PM)
thetrin's Avatar

Originally Posted by shagg_187

Meh. It's the same as movies mentioning "From Producer Christopher Nolan, of The Dark Knight Trilogy". It's a marketing grab.

And it's dumb there too. :P
DoctorWho
BOSS
(02-15-2013, 06:37 PM)
DoctorWho's Avatar
Bungie, you are my density.


Originally Posted by Nirolak

Are they?

That card is surprisingly absent of platforms.

How can I reserve it if I don't know what reserve it for. I assume it's staying vague simply to avoid clashing with durango/orbis announcement dates.
default two
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:37 PM)
default two's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Are they?

That card is surprisingly absent of platforms.

Can you reserve games on ??? platform?
Arnie
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:37 PM)
Arnie's Avatar
Those enemy designs look fucking sweet.
B.O.O.M
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:37 PM)
B.O.O.M's Avatar
This was destined to happen


I hope this comes to both PS4/720
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(02-15-2013, 06:37 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by MajorGravy

Seeing the Activision logo at the bottom unsettles me. I know BUNGiE will make a fantasmic game but Activision will charge a ton for maps or other DLC. I hope the game comes with a ton of maps and a FORGE sort of mode to make our own. :)

Well if we go by the DemonWare reports, this would most logically be a giant interconnected world (which might have like hop off points for traveling long distances?)
Speedy Blue Dude
Banned
(02-15-2013, 06:38 PM)
I can't wait for Pre-Orders to be available. I'll pre-order and completely pay it off day 1.

Destiny looks amazing from those posters. Can't wait to explore the new beautiful world.
Mr.Wreckless
Banned
(02-15-2013, 06:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman

I think it's a weird thing to advertise with. Publishers don't have much effect on a game, so why would a specific publisher be a selling point? Or are they banking on the general audience not knowing the difference between developers and publishers?

I wasn't trying to rip on CoD or anything, I guess I made it look like that.

A lot of movie goers don't differentiate between the producer and director.
shinobi602
(02-15-2013, 06:38 PM)
shinobi602's Avatar

Originally Posted by B.O.O.M

This was destined to happen


I hope this comes to both PS4/720

A 720 version has been confirmed in court documents.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(02-15-2013, 06:38 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by DoctorWho

Bungie, you are my density.




How can I reserve it if I don't know what reserve it for. I assume it's staying vague simply to avoid clashing with durango/orbis announcement dates.

Originally Posted by Friedreich

Can you reserve games on ??? platform?

Conceptually you might be able to reserve a game and then get whatever platform you want when it comes out.

Not sure how retailers handle this kind of thing though. It's been a long time since I've pre-ordered, and I've never done it with a game that might be cross-gen.
I-hate-u
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:39 PM)
I-hate-u's Avatar
Slim chance but I want it on ps3 or ps4 day one
Jarmel
place a shoe on my head
to reduce lag compensation
(02-15-2013, 06:39 PM)
Jarmel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Are they?

That card is surprisingly absent of platforms.

Doesn't matter. Everything. Everything? Everything.
Buttonbasher
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:39 PM)
Buttonbasher's Avatar

Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman

I think it's a weird thing to advertise with. Publishers don't have much effect on a game, so why would a specific publisher be a selling point? Or are they banking on the general audience not knowing the difference between developers and publishers?

I wasn't trying to rip on CoD or anything, I guess I made it look like that.

This happens all the time with film. "From the producers of That Movie You Liked" which doesn't really mean much of anything, like it would if it were the director.

It's just to get a name out there.

Edit: Beaten
Blakersz
Junior Member
(02-15-2013, 06:39 PM)
Blakersz's Avatar

Originally Posted by ncsuDuncan

Competitive Multiplayer!







(Source.)



And I thought this Friday couldn't get better!
Gareth Bale
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:40 PM)
Gareth Bale's Avatar

Originally Posted by MajorGravy

Seeing the Activision logo at the bottom unsettles me. I know BUNGiE will make a fantasmic game but Activision will charge a ton for maps or other DLC. I hope the game comes with a ton of maps and a FORGE sort of mode to make our own. :)

I think we need to wait to find out what the game is before we start talking about maps and forge.
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(02-15-2013, 06:41 PM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Conceptually you might be able to reserve a game and then get whatever platform you want when it comes out.

Not sure how retailers handle this kind of thing though. It's been a long time since I've pre-ordered, and I've never done it with a game that might be cross-gen.

Well the cross-generational thing is strange. I can't imagine you'll be able to preorder an Xbox 3 game in a few days. It seems insane to take preorders for a game without a platform announced though.
shagg_187
lapdance transform pants
(02-15-2013, 06:41 PM)
shagg_187's Avatar

Originally Posted by Friedreich

Can you reserve games on ??? platform?

They either insert it in DVD cases, use these and make their own boxart or just give it out and tell you what system you can reserve for.

PS3 and 360 is the initial likely preorders. The lack of console mean that its going to release for all consoles, including next-gen unannounced ones.
Ekralc
Junior Member
(02-15-2013, 06:41 PM)
Ekralc's Avatar
I don't think you guys understand how ready my body is...
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
(02-15-2013, 06:41 PM)
Deadly Cyclone's Avatar
Give me those posters... Dat art.
Killer
guilty
(02-15-2013, 06:41 PM)
Killer's Avatar

Originally Posted by MajorGravy

Seeing the Activision logo at the bottom unsettles me. I know BUNGiE will make a fantasmic game but Activision will charge a ton for maps or other DLC. I hope the game comes with a ton of maps and a FORGE sort of mode to make our own. :)

Activision gave them their sweet time to develop this game (almost 6 years). I cant see how they will do them wrong.
Tunavi
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:41 PM)
Tunavi's Avatar
Goodbye Halo, Hello Destiny
Arnie
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:41 PM)
Arnie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gareth Bale

I think we need to wait to find out what the game is before we start talking about maps and forge.

I wonder if we can buy skins for our battle rifle?
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(02-15-2013, 06:42 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Well the cross-generational thing is strange. I can't imagine you'll be able to preorder an Xbox 3 game in a few days. It seems insane to take preorders for a game without a platform announced though.

I agree with your base concept, but I just can't remember the last time I saw pre-order cards without a platform.
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(02-15-2013, 06:42 PM)
thetrin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gareth Bale

I think we need to wait to find out what the game is before we start talking about maps and forge.

Pretty much. I don't know why people are just assuming this is Halo with a new name. Pretty much every piece of evidence suggests it's the opposite of that. It sounds like it's going to have more in common with PSO than Halo, in terms of world structure.
Speedy Blue Dude
Banned
(02-15-2013, 06:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Conceptually you might be able to reserve a game and then get whatever platform you want when it comes out.

Not sure how retailers handle this kind of thing though. It's been a long time since I've pre-ordered, and I've never done it with a game that might be cross-gen.

You choose what platform you want it for and Pre-Order it on that. You can change Platforms though later. Chances are it'll only be available to pre-order on Xbox 360 and PS3 first, then when Durango is announced, Pre-Orders for a Durango version will be available.
Havok
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:42 PM)
Havok's Avatar
It's been a while since I've been legitimately excited for an upcoming game. Figures that Bungie is the company to make it happen again.

Originally Posted by MajorGravy

Seeing the Activision logo at the bottom unsettles me. I know BUNGiE will make a fantasmic game but Activision will charge a ton for maps or other DLC. I hope the game comes with a ton of maps and a FORGE sort of mode to make our own. :)

I know folks don't like Activision, and often for good reason, but Microsoft charged more per-map for Halo than Activision did per-map for Call of Duty (3 maps/10 bucks vs. 5 maps/15 bucks). The difference now is that Bungie has more leeway since they're not owned by their publisher anymore. Microsoft was fairly meddlesome in Bungie's post-release support plans, holding back map packs for other Halo games (Mythic 1 and 2 for Halo Wars and ODST, respectively) and dictating how free content was used (Cold Storage was only available in Legendary map-required playlists). I don't forsee Activision being much worse than they were in that regard.
Last edited by Havok; 02-15-2013 at 06:49 PM.
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(02-15-2013, 06:42 PM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

I agree with your base concept, but I just can't remember the last time I saw pre-order cards without a platform.

GTA5 had them in the UK I believe.
shinobi602
(02-15-2013, 06:42 PM)
shinobi602's Avatar

Originally Posted by Killer

Activision gave them their sweet time to develop this game (almost 6 years). I cant see how they will do them wrong.

What? Are you saying they've been working with Activision for 6 years?
DieH@rd
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:43 PM)
DieH@rd's Avatar

Originally Posted by Beckx

There is a lot of delicious detail in that half-covered poster.\

....Traveler. It sparked a Golden Age....

...something hit us, knocked us down...

...defend the City....

...defeat powerful foes and earn unique.... [This sounds MMO or RPG/Sish, though could imply a basic progression system, I guess]

..vehicles... [PLEASE BE SPACESHIPS, PLEASE BE SPACESHIPS]


This is the old story synopsis:
"Our story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of man's Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what it's here for, but only that it's our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young ‘knights' tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and — eventually — overcoming it."
Klendathu Club Owner
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:43 PM)

Originally Posted by whyman

Looks like another Halo. :S

You seem surprised by this :-p

Aliens attack humans, humans nearly lose, humans discover they have a "destiny" (It's the goddamn name of the game) and save the galaxy. Boom.
I'm still intrigued though, because Halo 1 and 2 were aewsome games and 2 did some interesting thing with the narrative. Mabye Bungie can recreate some of that magic.
feel
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:43 PM)
feel's Avatar
Dat art and style.. Goddam you Bungle, goddam you! :_)
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(02-15-2013, 06:43 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Speedy Blue Dude

You choose what platform you want it for and Pre-Order it on that. You can change Platforms though later. Chances are it'll only be available to pre-order on Xbox 360 and PS3 first, then when Durango is announced, Pre-Orders for a Durango version will be available.

Yeah that would make the most sense.

Originally Posted by StuBurns

GTA5 had them in the UK I believe.

Ah I see. Thanks.
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(02-15-2013, 06:44 PM)
FyreWulff's Avatar


One on the left vs the Elite Officer helmet from Reach

Similar silhouette to that helmet minus the 'blade'
Arnie
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:44 PM)
Arnie's Avatar

Originally Posted by thetrin

Pretty much. I don't know why people are just assuming this is Halo with a new name. Pretty much every piece of evidence suggests it's the opposite of that. It sounds like it's going to have more in common with PSO than Halo, in terms of world structure.

I'm sure there's similarities, it'd make little sense to throw away all that talent; vehicles, first person, science fiction, competitive multiplayer etc.

However I agree that I think the two will be vastly different from each other in how they actually play and present themselves that I think the direct comparison will prove to be moot in a few days.

ODST hub world was, I believe, a test bed for Destiny.
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(02-15-2013, 06:44 PM)
thetrin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Havok

It's been a while since I've been legitimately excited for an upcoming game. Figures that Bungie is the company to make it happen again.
I know folks don't like Activision, and often for good reason, but Microsoft charged more per-map for Halo than Activision did per-map for Call of Duty (3 maps/10 bucks vs. 5 maps/15 bucks). The difference now is that Bungie has more leeway since they're not owned by their publisher anymore.

If there are individual maps to download at all, then Destiny is already far less than I've been led to believe.

Originally Posted by Arnie

I'm sure there's similarities, it'd make little sense to throw away all that talent; vehicles, first person, science fiction, competitive multiplayer etc.

However I agree that I think the two will be vastly different from each other in how they actually play and present themselves that I think the direct comparison will prove to be moot in a few days.

ODST hub world was, I believe, a test bed for Destiny.

I hope ODST's hub is the size of a pea in comparison to what they want to do with Destiny. What some leaks have hinted at in the past is something far grander.
FourMyle
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:45 PM)
FourMyle's Avatar
DoctorWho
BOSS
(02-15-2013, 06:45 PM)
DoctorWho's Avatar

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

This is the old story synopsis:
"Our story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of man's Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what it's here for, but only that it's our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young ‘knights' tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and — eventually — overcoming it."

If you told me that was Final Fantasy XV, I'd believe you. Reads like an RPG plot. Kind of curious to see where this is going.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(02-15-2013, 06:45 PM)
GhaleonEB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Conceptually you might be able to reserve a game and then get whatever platform you want when it comes out.

Not sure how retailers handle this kind of thing though. It's been a long time since I've pre-ordered, and I've never done it with a game that might be cross-gen.

Platforms will likely be announced along with the game itself, in the formal PR. That seems to be the standard timing for such.
ArchedThunder
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:45 PM)
ArchedThunder's Avatar

Originally Posted by MajorGravy

Seeing the Activision logo at the bottom unsettles me. I know BUNGiE will make a fantasmic game but Activision will charge a ton for maps or other DLC. I hope the game comes with a ton of maps and a FORGE sort of mode to make our own. :)

The contract says Activision has no say in pricing of anything.
Nokterian
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:46 PM)
Nokterian's Avatar

Originally Posted by MajorGravy

Seeing the Activision logo at the bottom unsettles me. I know BUNGiE will make a fantasmic game but Activision will charge a ton for maps or other DLC. I hope the game comes with a ton of maps and a FORGE sort of mode to make our own. :)

One man will be very happy with all the money.

Gareth Bale
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:46 PM)
Gareth Bale's Avatar

Originally Posted by Arnie

I wonder if we can buy skins for our battle rifle?

Would boycott again.
Gooster
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:46 PM)
Gooster's Avatar

Would love this framed.
Inorigo
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:46 PM)
Inorigo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Havok

It's been a while since I've been legitimately excited for an upcoming game. Figures that Bungie is the company to make it happen again.
I know folks don't like Activision, and often for good reason, but Microsoft charged more per-map for Halo than Activision did per-map for Call of Duty (3 maps/10 bucks vs. 5 maps/15 bucks). The difference now is that Bungie has more leeway since they're not owned by their publisher anymore.

And they've negotiated a very specific deal. This isn't going to be the new CoD, but the rhetoric will quickly become, "Destiny looks cool... but it's an Activision game." as though it were. It's going to get very old very quickly.
Jburton
Banned
(02-15-2013, 06:46 PM)
Jburton's Avatar
No MS or Xbox labelling anywhere in sight.

Multiplatform from the off?
Galang
Member
(02-15-2013, 06:47 PM)
Galang's Avatar
Loving the designs of the enemies!
bigdaddygamebot
(02-15-2013, 06:47 PM)
bigdaddygamebot's Avatar

Originally Posted by thetrin

Pretty much. I don't know why people are just assuming this is Halo with a new name. Pretty much every piece of evidence suggests it's the opposite of that. It sounds like it's going to have more in common with PSO than Halo, in terms of world structure.

I'm definitely falling on the , "So...more Haloz..." side.

I certainly hope you're right in your PSO assessment.
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(02-15-2013, 06:47 PM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jburton

No MS or Xbox labelling anywhere in sight.

Multiplatform from the off?

That seems likely anyway given PSN's integration into the website.
Killer
guilty
(02-15-2013, 06:47 PM)
Killer's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinobi602

What? Are you saying they've been working with Activision for 6 years?

I made a huge mistake. They signed the publishing rights couple of years ago.

Thread Tools