• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB Watch: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment coming to PS3/PSP PSN via PSone classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

I'm a pretty big fan of JRPG's and I've never played a Persona game (I know).

Would this be a good starting off point or should I just jump to Persona 3?

Persona 3 is a better starting point if you have FES available.

Eternal Punishment is basically the second half of Persona 2, making it the worst possible starting point. :p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm a pretty big fan of JRPG's and I've never played a Persona game (I know).

Would this be a good starting off point or should I just jump to Persona 3?

If you've played an SMT game before, like Nocturne, then you can probably jump into Persona 2. It's a pretty tough game with some very old-school design, but if that's your thing, then by all means, go ahead. Though play Persona 2: Innocent Sin on PSP first, since that's the first half of the game, while EP is the second half.

If you're not necessarily into old-school RPGs, then Persona 3 or 4 would be more palatable, I'd imagine.

cjkeats

Well I'll never compete the nice stack of Persona games on my shelf, but eh, better than nothing.

C- for effort.

randomkid

Nich you beautiful man, I am going to pretend you organized this single-handedly.

All I ever wanted was to play the game for less than $90, I'll take it. I'm honestly excited ha.

Sophia

I still retain the overly optimistic belief that this is somehow both the PS1 classic and the PSP remake released on PSN. >.>;

Dantis

So if I make a US account, I can at least play this on my PS3, right?

A lot of us suggested it. It's not EP PSP, but I think it's a nice consolation.

Will buy. Atlus: You done good :)

Eh. It's better than nothing, but it's not a great compromise.

You should be able to with no sweat. If the American PSN store sells raw, japanese PS1 games non-translated and they play with no changes to the game itself on american PS3s (thankfully you don't need to read many menus to play Rock Man 3, or else I'd be lost lol), I see no reason why an american PS1 game wouldn't work on a european system.

Dantis

^Agreed, with Aksys games releasing multiple PSP games this year.

XSEED too. Corpse Party Book of Shadows had an incredible amount of dialogue, and they released that as a PSN title. No reason Atlus couldn't do the same.

You should be able to with no sweat. If the American PSN store sells raw, japanese PS1 games non-translated and they play with no changes to the game itself on american PS3s (thankfully you don't need to read many menus to play Rock Man 3, or else I'd be lost lol), I see no reason why an american PS1 game wouldn't work on a european system.

Dynamite. I guess that's... something.

Yeah, fairly easily once you track down some US PSN cards (the only real problem is that PSN generally region-locks credit cards, so US PSN won't like your UK credit card. Nothing a quick trip to eBay or the like won't fix).

[/has no PS3, therefore won't get this ever]

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I actually started the Persona series with this back in the summer of 2007. I was interested in P3 but didn't like the limited time I tried with the first Persona. No 1st person dungeon and I figured out how the demon system worked. I played this almost 100 hours

UmENp58.gif

I didn't seriously expect to see the PSP version localized in 2013, so this is a nice compromise. Hopefully they get it working on the Vita shop.

Dantis

Never satisfied.

Haha, such is the stress of first-world problems! :p

"Oh no! A game that I really want to play is being released but isn't the newest version!"

Man, life is tough.

Edit: I like that XSEED and Aksys doing something indicates Atlus can do the same despite all three being different companies and Atlus being larger than both. Business made simple!

Let's not kid ourselves here - Atlus COULD do it. They choose not to.

And if for some reason they can't, then they should drop this fan-centric reputation they have. I am not convinced that they deserve it.

Tizoc

...are people still questioning whether a US PSX game would run on an EU PS3?
Cuz I've known that for years, surprised so many still unaware of this o_O.
Well if anyone wants help in getting a US PSN account up and buying off of it, I can PM with a simple guide.

XSEED too. Corpse Party Book of Shadows had an incredible amount of dialogue, and they released that as a PSN title. No reason Atlus couldn't do the same.

How long is Book of Shadows compared to the first game BTW?

Squire

Banned

And if for some reason they can't, then they should drop this fan-centric reputation they have. I am not convinced that they deserve it.

That's my line. You presume too much, I think.

Dude. Really? You think that there's any demand for the PS1 version? The only reason Atlus USA is doing this is for the fans who want P2. Unfortunately the home office (index) doesn't want to localize the PSP version so this is a truly fair compromise. You'd rather have nothing?

Edit: and let's be realistic, the only people who will buy this off PSN is all 30 members of Persona-GAF.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Uh said 'boy dating game' isn't a boy dating game, it's a Musou game
at least I think so

It's an Otome game.

The Musou games are the Dynasty Warrior series.

aaaaaaaand edited while I replied. Fast moving GAF.

Addition to my last post: I completely forgot that US PSN has PayPal support now, so there shouldn't even be any need to use pre-paid cards any more.

Dude. Really? You think that there's any demand for the PS1 version? The only reason Atlus USA is doing this is for the fans who want P2. Unfortunately the home office (index) doesn't want to localize the PSP version so this is a truly fair compromise. You'd rather have nothing?

At the moment, he's officially getting nothing since he's in the EU.

Squire

Banned

Oh look, someone reasonable.

Sophia

I've got a PS3, but I still hook the PS2 up occasionally to play my PSOne games. I guess I'd still hook it up if I needed to play Digital Devil Saga again.

You do know all PS3s are compatible with PS1 discs right?

Digital Devil Saga is a pretty good excuse to leave the PS2 up tho.

MrDaravon

Didn't Persona 2: Innocent Sin PSP do like really, really, really bad in the US, even by US PSP standards? I'd imagine that's more at fault than anything.

Tizoc

TBH the only con I see for this is that it'll have PSX-era english translation, where-as jRPGs of recent years tend to have a much better localization.

It's an Otome game.

The Musou games are the Dynasty Warrior series.

aaaaaaaand edited while I replied. Fast moving GAF.

As someone who wants to date Ash in Days of Memories, I see nothing wrong with Otome games getting localized~ Well the new Hakouki game has Musou elements in it.

Squire

Banned
I am totally reasonable, but I really wanted to play EPP man ;_;

I know, buy it's quite over-presumptuous to discuss what a company is capable of when they don't make sales numbers public and none of us work there.

Can Atlus release EPP and not close? Absolutely.

Can they release it and profit? None of us knows and that's the real issue. The last step of business is of course profit.

Persona 2:IS bombed. Persona 2:EP would be likely to do even worse because...

A) It's 2013 and selling a PSP game is harder than ever.
B) Persona 2:IS had the advantage of being brand new in the US. EP has already come out here (albeit a long time ago).
C) Persona 2:EP is a direct sequel and direct sequels usually sell much worse than the original.

Dantis

That's my line. You presume too much, I think.

You really think that they couldn't?

Edit: and let's be realistic, the only people who will buy this off PSN is all 30 members of Persona-GAF.

I already said that this is better than nothing. :p

Tamanon

Banned
You do know all PS3s are compatible with PS1 discs right?

Digital Devil Saga is a pretty good excuse to leave the PS2 up tho.

I honestly never even considered it would, lol. I knew it didn't do PS2 in my model so didn't even think to check PSOne games. Thanks!

Aeana

Interesting compromise. It won't please everyone, but I figure the circumstances with EP PSP must be really unfortunate so this'll have to do.

Squire

Banned
You really think that they couldn't?

Without taking a loss? No. That's my guess. And Atlus taking a loss isn't like Sony taking one, I imagine.

Edit: 30 might be a tad generous for PersonaGAFs head count.
I kid, I kid ^_^

Also, keep in mind that P2:EP PSP bombed really badly in Japan. Even if Atlus USA wanted to bring it over, it'd probably be a tough sale to Atlus Japan (who would be the ones who would be reprogramming the US version).

Sophia

I honestly never even considered it would, lol. I knew it didn't do PS2 in my model so didn't even think to check PSOne games. Thanks!

Yup, has a few filtering options too to make it look decent on HDTVs. It's even possible to do remote play, if that suits your fancy with lag. :p

Interesting compromise. It won't please everyone, but I figure the circumstances with EP PSP must be really unfortunate so this'll have to do.

It doesn't give us a translation of the new scenario, which is the worst problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom