• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB Watch: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment coming to PS3/PSP PSN via PSone classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahamrick

Good for those who hadn't played the PS1 version, or are willing to settle for it. Already played the PS1 version years ago, so I'm going to pass on it even though I won't have a complete set of the games now. I think I'd be less bitter about the whole situation if they had just come out and said it's not coming instead of constantly doing the whole "No comment." bullshit.

Oh well, I did my part and bought all the PSP Persona games as well as a bunch of other Atlus PSP titles when I got my Vita (Growlanser, Gungnir, Riviera, ect).

Dantis

Hmm...too bad Innocent Sin isn't playable on PS3.

Just looked up Eternal Punishment PSP's OST...wow the Map I theme is awesome.

Just in case you aren't aware, that's an instrumental version of the ending song, Change Your Way. It's a recurring motif throughout the game, like Next To You in Innocent Sin.

Nah, you're more prickly, bro.

*sigh*

Yeah...

I really need to just get back into Western games. Didn't play any Japanese games for years and I didn't have to put up with any of this shit.

Omikaru

Just like how Persona 3 FEZ did on the EU PSN store...oh wait, nevermind :(
P3 FES had an EU distributor (Koei, now Tecmo-Koei), so I assume they'd have to work something out with them before it comes out over here as a PS2 Classic. P2: EP was never released in EU, so Atlus USA could do an EU release without as many hurdles.

Nah, but I'm happy this is at least known now. I wrote a PSBlog article about it that will probably go up in a couple weeks, which touches on why the PSP version couldn't happen--and that's a "couldn't," not a "didn't," which is sadly all I'll ever really be able to say. It didn't have anything to do with fears of low sales.

I'm sad we won't get to know fully why it can't happen, but I'm glad we have a definitive answer on EP for PSP. As I said above, the PSone version never came out over here so it's in Atlus USA's court: do you have any idea if you will be releasing this on the EU store? Is there anyone you could prod to make this happen? SCEE have released previously unavailable US and JPN games before, so there's a precedent for this.

I really want to play this game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Nah, but I'm happy this is at least known now. I wrote a PSBlog article about it that will probably go up in a couple weeks, which touches on why the PSP version couldn't happen--and that's a "couldn't," not a "didn't," which is sadly all I'll ever really be able to say. It didn't have anything to do with fears of low sales.

Intriguing...

I'd love to really know why, but it'll remain one of those mysteries I guess.

We're at least getting it without having to drop a good chunk of a paycheck to get it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If it isn't the PSP version DO NOT WANT.

I mean it's great and all they're releasing the PSX version but it just screams "we just want to shut you up" about the PSP re-localization/translation people.

Aeana

I mean it's great and all they're releasing the PSX version but it just screams "we just want to shut you up" about the PSP re-localization/translation people.

I guess they could not have released anything. Would that be better? The PSP version isn't coming regardless of whether the PSX one does.

Well if you want to read up about the situation, read Nich's post.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It didn't have anything to do with fears of low sales.

Should've read the last page. Whoops, still I'm slightly pissed it isn't the PSP version. I mean, good that it's happening and so people with a PSP and PS3 can play the complete series, but having both on separate platforms (and one that has the majority of the series) is so "WTF."

cjkeats

That's half of what my blog post is about, haha.

haha that's good. Not that many names were changed though, just the characters that show up right? Well I'll see in your blog post anyways.

How cool would it be if somehow they were changed back to the original names retroactively? I don't think they can do that, but that's a pretty interesting idea.

Squire

Banned

With posts like this? You bet, Seks.

You bet.

Sophia

Well if you want to read up about the situation, read Nich's post.

Maybe Nich's post needs to be in the OP as people apparently aren't reading the rest of the thread or something? >_>;

At any rate, I'm still glad to have the PS1 version. Eternal Punishment PS1 goes for a lot, so being able to play it without having to spend a fortune is nice.

I'm still bummed we won't ever seemingly get a proper translation of Tatsuya's Scenario tho.

Should've read the last page. Whoops, still I'm slightly pissed it isn't the PSP version. I mean, good that it's happening and so people with a PSP and PS3 can play the complete series, but having both on separate platforms (and one that has the majority of the series) is so "WTF."

It's not really separate platforms unless you're in the EU... You can play PS1 classics on the PSP/Vita.

Chemo

God damn it. If EP PSP doesn't seem like a good investment, why not take that concern out of the equation completely and Kickstart the localization+PSN release costs so that those of us who are willing to pay WAY too much money to make the PSP version happen can throw some cash at you, Atlus?

Eusis

I'm still thinking it had to do with Index and localization programming/source code issues, but I know Nich will never be able to say either way.
Which to me is really, really crazy if the original came here and a game running on the same engine (or so I'd think) managed to come over. Seriously, unless it's a simple issue of man power how do you screw that up?

(Though that's probably EXACTLY the the problem is at least, lack of man power.)
God damn it. If EP PSP doesn't seem like a good investment, why not take that concern out of the equation completely and Kickstart the localization+PSN release costs so that those of us who are willing to pay WAY too much money to make the PSP version happen can throw some cash at you, Atlus?
Notice how the only console related Kickstarters (as in not targeting PC first) are either just for a physical package or with explicit approval from a first party? It sounds like it's begging for trouble to go through a Kickstarter, THEN get approval to release on a system, even though SCEA doesn't seem to care anymore for PSP and in the case of P2:EP should've had enough new content anyway if they did.

Guess Who

Banned

...the PSP version couldn't happen--and that's a "couldn't," not a "didn't," which is sadly all I'll ever really be able to say. It didn't have anything to do with fears of low sales.

Nich's post really needs to go in the OP. (For those confused, he's Atlus staff.)

Taruranto

I'm really curious now, if it isn't a sale problem, i really can't see why they can't bring it.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Notice how the only console related Kickstarters (as in not targeting PC first) are either just for a physical package or with explicit approval from a first party? It sounds like it's begging for trouble to go through a Kickstarter, THEN get approval to release on a system, even though SCEA doesn't seem to care anymore for PSP and in the case of P2:EP should've had enough new content anyway if they did.

given the stuff Aksys and XSEED are both bringing out for PSP this year I don't think SCEA is at fault for us not getting the PSP version of Eternal Punishment

I know it's not your fault but this still stings a lot as a loyal Atlus fan, it's disappointing when Atlus USA can't seem to bring over something like Eternal Punishment PSP while Aksys and XSEED are bringing over stuff that no one really cares about (no offense anyone who was actually hoping Sweet Fuse would come stateside)

I'm really curious now, if it isn't a sale problem, i really can't see why they can't bring it.

yeah that is very weird

Eusis

given the stuff Aksys and XSEED are both bringing out for PSP this year I don't think SCEA is at fault for us not getting the PSP version of Eternal Punishment
I think it's just not safe to assume a third party gate keeper will necessarily give you the OK, though at least they aren't licensing this from another company (that's when this gets to be a real problem).

graywolf323

Gold Member
I think it's just not safe to assume a third party gate keeper will necessarily give you the OK, though at least they aren't licensing this from another company (that's when this gets to be a real problem).

if SCEA is willing to OK Sweet Fuse: At Your Side you really think they'd block Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP?

Taruranto

I mean, if it isn't a sale problem...

It can't be a programming issue because IS, EP, IS PSP, EP PSP they all run on the same engine.
It can't be a content problem, because of the extra scenario, etc (not to mention of many enchanted ports of PS1 games PSP got)

So... wat?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

It can't be a programming issue because IS, EP, IS PSP, EP PSP they all run on the same engine.
It can't be a content problem, because of the extra scenario, etc (not to mention of many enchanted ports of PS1 games PSP got)

So... wat?

Maybe Japan didn't want to help the US office out.

Soriku

So... wat?

The rumor now is that Index has already moved on from the PSP and didn't want to do localization programming for EP to set the game up for a localization.

randomkid

Sincerely, thanks for saying this. I'd come to terms with the lack of a PSP version the moment Etrian Odyssey was announced but it's always good to see a company confirm once and for all for the holdouts.

It's also good to get confirmation that fear of low sales had nothing to do with the lack of an announcement. I guess I'm gonna gloat a little because I have been on this tip for months, so to all the armchair MBAs YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE haha. The sales excuse by itself just never made sense.

I wonder if this will release around Soul Hackers, that's far too much PSX era goodness for one release period. Again, I'm crazy excited.

Obviously people are going to whine no matter what, but I am glad I finally get to play this game. Wasn't willing to spend however much it costs to play the OG PS1 lol

Eusis

if SCEA is willing to OK Sweet Fuse: At Your Side you really think they'd block Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP?
No, but then my premise was more "you can never be sure", not "Sony probably wouldn't allow this" because if nothing else MegaTen seems to have just enough clout to bend the rules for if for some inane reason that was a problem.

Though it sounds like a problem that a Kickstarter probably wouldn't solve anyway, not unless it brought in millions and they just used that to straight up rebuild the game again for multiple platforms or something.
Rumors become reality....
RUMOR: It can't happen because it's already happened. Check the PSN store right now!
For better or worse that can't actually work in reality.

Props to Atlus at least meeting their fans halfway, but I still wanted the PSP release.

Always wanted to import my P2:IS Tatsuya into EP

Jucksalbe

Banned

I'm looking forward to that.
At least now we know for sure that the PSP version isn't coming (poor cj_iwakura). I already own the PSX version, but depending on the price (or my mood) I might still pick this up.
It's a damn shame that you couldn't bring over the PSP version.

Ok then, what is the issue? I'd be thrilled to double dip on SMT Nocturne, and Digital Devil Saga 1/2 as well.

Ask Nich Maragos. he's the resident expert on all things Atlus, and tends to lurk these threads.

edit: lol didn't realize he had already posted. this is what I get for not refreshing.

Okay.png

Guess I'll just have to take it...

randomkid

Ask Nich Maragos. he's the resident expert on all things Atlus, and tends to lurk these threads.

I don't think Nich is a Magic 8 Ball we should be hitting up for the details of every single Atlus business decision, it's just nice that he's around to correct things when he can.

As for the reason why Nocturne isn't up on PSN, Ghostlight said they've had emulation issues getting the DDS games up, so maybe that's it.

cj_iwakura

Wow, great news for the most part.

I'm glad people get a chance to experience EP in any capacity.

Thanks for the effort, Atlus. (It's better than nothing.)

Also, uh, will this require another OT? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom