• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Pro Pad is now Windows & Mac compatible

Orayn

It's totally weird. The bottom face button is pretty important seeing as it's usually a primary button. Confirming in menus, jumping in platforms. Think of all that extra precious time wasted with your thumb traveling that extra distance. This is serious business.

Wouldn't be too hard to switch the mapping of the top and bottom buttons of the diamond, since that's what some Wii U control schemes already do.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's totally weird. The bottom face button is pretty important seeing as it's usually a primary button. Confirming in menus, jumping in platforms. Think of all that extra precious time wasted with your thumb traveling that extra distance. This is serious business.

I am imagining a video of Alan Rickman moving his thumb from right stick to face button in extreme slow motion while the Inception theme plays.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Have you used it?

The stick placement is amazing.

It unfortunately makes the claw grip impossible though

Clawone.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Great news. Will definitely keep an eye open and pick one up for my PC down the road.

Codeblue

It's totally weird. The bottom face button is pretty important seeing as it's usually a primary button. Confirming in menus, jumping in platformers. Think of all that extra precious time wasted with your thumb traveling that extra distance. This is serious business.

You can hit the A button with the middle of your thumb and keep the top on the stick. Access to face buttons and the stick simultaneously is not possible in any other conformation.

Mistle

I've been using a PS3 control for PC but would much rather use the Wii U Pro Pad. Is it easy enough to emulate a 360 control?

Orayn

I've been using a PS3 control for PC but would much rather use the Wii U Pro Pad. Is it easy enough to emulate a 360 control?

Sounds like they don't have a driver or virtual driver yet so the analogs aren't fully recognized, but you should be able to use X360CE with it once that happens. GlovePIE is also a possible candidate since it can emulate XInput.

HoosTrax

No, actually. It uses a unique protocol called WiFi Miracast. It might be possible to get it to sync up over normal 802.11 since that's what Miracast is built on top of, but I doubt you'd have full functionality or performance.
Well that would be a fly in the ointment. I wouldn't put anything past hardware hackers though, sounds like the guy who got the Wii U GamePad working for basic controls is trying to get streaming going as well.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I tried playing Black Ops 2 with the Wii Classic Controller(right stick in the same place as PS3/360) and I couldn't aim for shit anymore. I now prefer the Wii U position of the right stick, and I can't go back to the old position. I can reach all of the buttons comfortably btw.

ChaosXVI

I've used both and I'm of the opinion that they are both extremely comfortable, two of the best controllers ever, each with slight advantages over the other...

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I hate the Dual-Shock, I've never found it comfortable, maybe because my hands are too big or something, but it always feels too small and the sticks always felt loose to me...But to each their own.

For everyone who came in to bash the controller - screw you, it's SNES button layout with sticks on top. It's literally the same as the JPN PS3 but upside down. And a lot of games use "X" as the primary button anyway if it's heavy on going between stick and buttons.

For me, if this gets to the point where MotioninJoy is (wireless, autosync, recognized as native controller), then I will DEFINITELY be buying a Pro controller. If it's anything like the Gamepad, then the Dpad/buttons AND the sticks are in comfy positions, instead of one feeling like crap, and the Dpad means it'll be soooo lovely for playing retro games. THIS is what I want my PC controller to be. Not some shitty mush dpad 360 controller.

HoosTrax

I guess my question is whether this layout is better, or the Wii Classic Pro, which has the opposite locations for the sticks and buttons. Personally, I find the top positions more comfortable (more neutral) than the bottom positions. So the Wii U would be preferable for twin-stick shooters and the Wii Classic Pro better for platformers.

That's great news. The Wii U classic controller has one of the best d-pads I've used, period, and the essentially SNES style button layout is ideal for my tastes. It kills me that NSMBU doesn't have a CC option, because I love the thing. Definitely want to try it out on PC, and it sounds like a perfect excuse to replay Cave Story.

I tried playing Black Ops 2 with the Wii Classic Controller(right stick in the same place as PS3/360) and I couldn't aim for shit anymore. I now prefer the Wii U position of the right stick, and I can't go back to the old position. I can reach all of the buttons comfortably btw.

did you ever think that maybe the Wii classic controller is just shit...?

The dpad is better though. My only issue is that the dpad and buttons are too close together.

Unless you have the new 360 controller, yep. Otherwise I despise the Pro Pad. Putting the stick above the buttons is crap. Digital triggers is blech. Sticks too loose. Makes me appreciate the Dual Shock. My brain also screws up the a-b x-y direction. Stupid brain.

Orayn

did you ever think that maybe the Wii classic controller is just shit...?

As someone who adores the other aspects of the Wii CCPro, I'm going to have to agree with this. The analogs are junk, since they've still got a weird placement compared even compared to the DualShock, on top top of the weird non-smooth movement of the GameCube and Nunchuk.

HoosTrax

Unless you have the new 360 controller, yep. Otherwise I despise the Pro Pad. Putting the stick above the buttons is crap. Digital triggers is blech. Sticks too loose. Makes me appreciate the Dual Shock. My brain also screws up the a-b x-y direction. Stupid brain.
I'd be half tempted to disassemble it to flip the abxy. The only thing keeping me from buying a DS3 for my PC is that there are no aftermarket parts for them unlike the 360, which has a thriving mod parts market. So no one seems to sell red/blue/yellow/green abxy mods for the DS3.

As someone who adores the other aspects of the Wii CCPro, I'm going to have to agree with this. The analogs are junk, since they've still got a weird placement compared even compared to the DualShock, on top top of the weird non-smooth movement of the GameCube and Nunchuk.

Everyone seems to hate the octagonal gates on the sticks, but I actually like them. Would have killed for them at moments in Dark Souls.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I just got a transforming dpad, and it works so much better.
I don't share the same experience. I've tried it in several games (Meat boy, street fighter, hell even forza horizon) and have never had anything to say positive about it over the original dpad. The feel is still the same and I like to pretend it's never there.

Bolded: See above
The buttons being placed below the stick does definitely take some time getting used to considering we have been conditioned to thinking otherwise for 2 generations of consoles. And the digital triggers don't really phase me because I am not a big racing fan, but I can see why it would upset some people.

But for me, the sticks feel completely comfortable, but there definitely is that period of adjusting.

Wait, is this full support or just one of the steps twoards it? i.e. Can I use it for Steam and Dolphin? I'd love to play Sonic Generations with this instead of my wobbly joystick PS3 controller. :D

NeoRausch

so ummm.... some people don't know the difference between the gamepad and the pro controller around here?

I need to buy me a Bluetooth adapter!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Pfft. Having the option to do the claw is great. Having it mandatory is not.

For example, I can play BF3 on PS3, need to switch to rocket launcher.. I can claw press the left d-pad button while still being able to aim with my thumb.

Too awesome.

Yeah that sounds like a blast.

Alexios

Banned
Would enabling GamePad display streaming even be possible? I thought it uses custom bits for that, transmitter and receiver. Or can standard parts be made compatible by software, even if not quite as good?

Orayn

Would enabling GamePad display streaming even be possible? I thought it uses custom bits for that, transmitter and receiver. Or can standard parts be made compatible by software, even if not quite as good?

I wouldn't put it past someone doing some very clever things with WiFi to make it happen. At least some parts of the GamePad's communication happen over channels that are part of the normal 802.11b/g/n spectrum.

DrNeroCF

Anyone get the OS X program to work? Seems straightforward enough, but I can't get the controller to send keystrokes.

If I don't have the controller paired through the system, it asks for a pin, if I pair through the system and tell it to not use a pin, it shows up as connected, then if I press sync again on the controller, it gives an address in the program, the program hangs for a bunch, then doesn't work.

Pro controller's LEDs keep blinking through all of that.

majik13

It's totally weird. The bottom face button is pretty important seeing as it's usually a primary button. Confirming in menus, jumping in platformers. Think of all that extra precious time wasted with your thumb traveling that extra distance. This is serious business.

several games, make the top face button(X) the main button, no precious time lost. Other than retraining the brain a bit.
I think ZombiU and maybe COD do this? Or hopefully you can just touch menu items rather than navigating with buttons.

majik13

Along with a layout that's arguably better for games that are heavy on both movement and camera control, and triggers that are also arguably better for anything that isn't a racing game. Oh, and a good d-pad.

EDIT: I don't see why the stick placement is poor. Lots of modern games have you using the sticks together most of the time. Why not put them in the "default" positions? Does it blow your mind to reach down to press face buttons instead of reaching up?

you forgot to add that its also extremely light, and has a nice 80hr battery life.

Top Bottom