• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Pro Pad is now Windows & Mac compatible

catabarez

Awesome!

I checked out their website and it says this "All buttons (except for “Power” button), shoulder triggers, analog sticks and their ''click-in'' tops are fully functional"

How come the triggers and click sticks aren't functional, or did you find that all the buttons worked? Could I use xmapper and make them functinoal?

You sure you read that right?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Power button is the only exception, that's why it says "except for Power button" in parenthesis.

I'll probably just grab the adapter unless the homemade driver is fully functional before I get a chance or order one. Lame to pay for an adapter for a BT device, but I'd rather do that and have it "just work."

I got this controller working on pc but the analog sticks dont work. Its the best controller period! I cant wait till its fully functional.

Post your impressions on that adapter please!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have some of their other adapters and have never had a problem with them. Use the CCPro one regularly for 2D games on PC.

Cyryus

As soon as my adapter arrivals, I promise I will post my impressions. I've spent months trying different homemade programs and drivers to get it working and like other people said, the current stuff out there is AWESOME for D-Pad games like emulators but I really can't wait to get it 100% functionally for everything else :)

scottzorus

Neo Member
Just ordered, when it comes in I'll let you all know how it works for me too.
I ordered from the website and there's no confirmation e-mail and when I look at my orders it says that I have no orders. I have been charged though so I at least know I placed the order.

Edit: Confirm e-mail and order up on their website, took about two hours

Haunted

What do you mean? The only one that use that button placement is Microsoft. How is that a standard?
Sega_Dreamcast_Controller_(PAL).png
300px-Female_officer_saluting.jpg

never forget

All this YXBA vs XYAB talk is interesting because I noticed that on the Wii U pro pad the X and A buttons are kind of where your thumb naturally rests. I'm not sure if this was intentional as if Nintendo knew others were using a different standard, but didn't want to abandon there own layout. In the few games I've played though, X and A seem to perform the same functions as Y and B would typically on Nintendo controllers.

Cyryus

Alright guys, I got my Wii U Pro Controller adapter yesterday and played with it for quite a while last night. Here are my impressions:

1 - First off, it comes with the adapter itself and a mini-CD with the drivers on it or you can download them from Mayflash's website. Installation takes only a few moments and then you are ready to sync.

2 - Hit the sync button on your Wii U Pro Controller of choice and hit the sync button on the adapter and the Player 1 light on the controller will stay light.

3 - Every single button works flawlessly including the home button (see below) and the power button (if held down for 2 secs, it will turn the controller off!) and to wake the controller back up, hit any button and its ready to go again :)

4 - The adapter has a switch on it which allows you to make the PC see it as two different types of controllers: Xinput and Direct

A - The xinput setting tricks the computer making it see the controller as a 360 controller so it seems like most games will immediately switch the controller layout to a 360 flawlessly. Every single button works including the Home button like for an example: On a GFWL game it will bring up the Xbox Live Menu or if you are on Steam, it will switch it over to Big Screen Mode. But be warned, the layout on the controller matches the button letters on a 360 controller. So the A button on the Wii U is the A button on the 360 controller, which if you know anything about each controller, they are in different spots. It happens to work out just fine bc X/A on a 360 controller is near the right joystick and on the Wii U Pro X/A even though in different positions, happens to be right next the joystick as well so it works just fine. Also, you can be using xinput and also be using a 360 controller for the another player and both work perfect (and the player # lights match up correctly)!

B - Direct mode works completely different. When switch to this setting Windows will see the Wii U Pro as a generic controller like something from Logitech or MadCatz. If you go to your Device Manager you can see the controller (labeled under Mayflash Adapter) and it is fully functional but now all the buttons are labeled as Button 1, 2, 3 ect. So anways, With this setting turned on, and once a game is launched, none of the keybinds are bound to the controller so you must use the keyboard and mouse and go to options and set each keybind in game to a button of your choice. I tried this on Skyrim, Tomb Raider, & LEGO Lord of the Rings and it worked but its not as convenient, but it would allow you to modify the controls unlike if you were using a 360 controller. Also apparently, using direct mode would allow you to connect up to 4 Wii U Pro controllers using one adapter but I haven't tried this yet.

So what do I think of it? Its absolutely perfect. Installation is super simple and even faster. Turning the controller on and off works perfect and after playing around for about 2 hours with Tomb Raider, Skyrim, LEGO LotR, and Batman Arkham City, I truly had no problems with it at all with the exception of getting use to a slightly different controller layout. It works exactly as advertise! I personally think Xinput mode is the way to go if you want to make it fast and simple but direct mode is also great if you are into binding your own button layout to your liking.

For around $20, I totally recommend this adapter if you love the Wii U Pro Controller like I do! I got mine from eBay. Ask away if you have any questions!

Volotaire

Woo thanks for the impression. Sounds like a great wireless controller for the PC.

Now for someone to get the gamepad working with the PC... Drools.

Do the analog sticks work as they should?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Woo thanks for the impression. Sounds like a great wireless controller for the PC.

Do the analog sticks as they should?

The gamepad is working, since it uses wifi-based tech you have to install server software to communicate with it. There is a video on youtube (with a download in the description IIRC) of someone demonstrating using it, but there's not really any touchscreen functionality (yet?).

Edit: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICarhfik-HQ

Volotaire

The gamepad is working, since it uses wifi-based tech you have to install server software to communicate with it. There is a video on youtube (with a download in the description IIRC) of someone demonstrating using it, but there's not really any touchscreen functionality (yet?).

Edit: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICarhfik-HQ

Cool, but I was thinking more along the lines of streaming and touch controls.

Thanks for the link , appreciate it.

Also, having never used either the Wii U pro or the Wii Pro Controller, which do people prefer. Is it consensus that the Wii U pro Controller is in fact superior? I don't mind about stick placement because eventually I'll get used to whatever config the controller uses.

Also could we update the OP with the adapter as we now have some credible impressions?

Also, having never used either the Wii U pro or the Wii Pro Controller, which do people prefer. Is it consensus that the Wii U pro Controller is in fact superior? I don't mind about stick placement because eventually I'll get used to whatever config the controller uses.

Also could we update the OP with the adapter as we now have some credible impressions?

Do you mean the Wii U Gamepad vs Wii U Pro pad?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Someone will probably figure out streaming and touchscreen eventually. It's just a matter of setting up the software correctly.

And both controllers are fine, really. Pro controller feels a lot like a 360 controller, so if you're used to that you will probably prefer it. But the gamepad, despite it's bulk, is not uncomfortable either.

Edit: Oh, CCPro vs WiiU Pro. That's a tough call, I would say the CCPro is probably better for 2D games while the WiiU Pro is probably better for 3D games, just based on the analog stick placement. But someone who prefers Dualshocks might feel the opposite.

Both are very comfortable. WiiU Pro probably gets the overall edge just because it's full wireless, where the CCPro is tethered to a Wii Remote (or adapter for PC).

JoseJX

For what it's worth, I've been using mine in Linux with a regular bluetooth adapter too. The patches that support it have been merged into the mainline kernel in 3.11, so if you've got that and a relatively recent bluez, (4.101+) it'll "just work".

It works great in Steam Big Picture Mode and the few games I've tried it in, with all axes, buttons, etc. supported.

dcx4610

I thought the world was coming to an end based on the thread title.

...then I read the thread.

Yeah, same old Nintendo. No way they let their stuff work on PC. It had to be 3rd party.

Cyryus

Do the analog sticks work as they should?

The analog sticks work exactly as you expect including the stick clicking!

LAA

I don't understand the analogue stick criticisms...
I think you'll find your thumb can move both up AND down a controller, your thumbs are just up for the controller instead. Plus one of the 360 analogues is at the top of the controller? Why is it so wrong for both to be up?

I actually quite like the analogues at the top actually. Just feels more natural to me, don't know why. Been having a blast using the controller on the likes of Sonic all star racing transformed and borderlands 1/2. Beats my beat up 3rd party 360 controller I've been using that for sure!

Cyryus

The Wii U Pro Controller against the Wii [/Classic Controller Pro

And to answer your question from earlier, I absolutely recommend the Wii U Pro Controller over the Wii Classic Pro Controller. Actually, to be honest, its superior to any controller I've have ever used (Sorry Gamecube!) The joystick layout on the U Pro is super comfortable, 100% wireless, 80 (EIGHTY!) hour battery life and actually the most important fact that the joysticks click in like a DS3 or 360 controller which is required in alot of games to crouch or zoom in, ect.

Just my 2 cents!

bart64

Banned
Get the GamePad working with PC/Mac and we'll talk.
I don't think that's possible because of the proprietary wifi. More likely it would be a Wii u hack/app that connects the console to the pc/Mac rather than the controller itself. If all you're doing is web browsing, the Wii u has a pretty capable browser out of the box.

Top Bottom