• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Tretton with CNBC - PS4 games cost $0.99 to $60

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100480852

Jack Tretton said:
On pricing, Tretton said that the PS4 is "designed with the game developer in mind and the consumer in mind," and will offer games with prices ranging from $0.99 to the more traditional $60 range with the ability for players to sample games before they buy.

"I think people are willing to pay if they see the value there," he said. "The heat for the true gamer is on the console."

He said that games on mobile devices are "additive experiences" and that gamers won't "migrate down the food chain" for their primary gaming experience.

Looks a lot better than $79.99. I don't really know about "additive experiences".

Glad he put it out as an expansion of choice, even my non-gaming wife understands that not everyone is interesting in playing Angry Birds only.

Derrick01

Banned
Technically confirmed already when they were talking about indies self publishing. They mentioned people who do that can set whatever price they want.

paskowitz

I would have no problem paying something like $1-3 for a iOS or Android companion app to a game. Lets use Gran Turismo for an example. Try different car settings and send your b-spec bob out to try them. He will set a couple of laps and give you a bunch of data you can interpret (sector times, top speed, average speed, etc). Control your Bob when he is in b spec races over the app. Send friends race invites and when you boot up the system the track, car and settings are all preloaded ready to go. Etc, etc.

Would you pay $3 for that? I would. It is not a game, it does not have to be. It makes the experience better.

Yeah, I hope that the methodology of offerings for the PS4 is that it is a place where Peggle or Hotline Miami or Binding of Isaac stand shoulder to shoulder with AAA Shooters.

UberTag

Bold statement to go on record that software prices will cap off at $60 this early.

Also, like the push towards breaking down the archaic every game launches at $60 pricepoint.
This industry needs to embrace multiple pricing tiers in the absolute worst way.
If Journey, Minecraft XBLA and The Walking Dead enjoying such success paves the way for that, then awesome.

This man knows.
Tretton's one of the smartest dudes in this business. He's very sharp.

Remember SNES game prices? Would have been over $100 on some of that games in 2013 $'s. Crazy to think about. My parents paid bank for fucking Maximum Carnage!

At least he gets that a new pricing model might be necessary after the iOS/Android revolution. Good sign Sony is pulling their head out of the sand.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Technically the PS3 had games priced all the way from F2P to 99 cents to 60 dollars.

But I get what hes getting at and I like it. Digital games need to be cheaper.

I would have no problem paying something like $1-3 for a iOS or Android companion app to a game. Lets use Gran Turismo for an example. Try different car settings and send your b-spec bob out to try them. He will set a couple of laps and give you a bunch of data you can interpret (sector times, top speed, average speed, etc). Control your Bob when he is in b spec races over the app. Send friends race invites and when you boot up the system the track, car and settings are all preloaded ready to go. Etc, etc.

Would you pay $3 for that? I would. It is not a game, it does not have to be. It makes the experience better.

If there's one game that can benefit from this instant gaming approach is GT. Badly needs it, and you suggestion is something i would also like.

Just saw the interview and Tretton seemed really straightforward. Things looking good.

Mikey Jr.

I know john blow of braid really hated xbla and their restrictions. I thoight that was the last time we would see him on a console. But there he was on stage for the ps4. Is sony doing something behind the scenes that has blow on their side?

Tyrax

Does Sony mandate a maximum allowable price for games on their system?
I'd imagine that price is out of their control when it comes to third party publishers.

mothball

Technically the PS3 had games priced all the way from F2P to 99 cents to 60 dollars.

But I get what hes getting at and I like it. Digital games need to be cheaper.

Speaking of digital, I hope all PS4 games are day-one-digital like Vita games are. It's weird that they're still not doing it with the PS3.

Pyronite

F2P NOT HAPPENING

lol just kidding.

This thread doesn't say much except for what we and common sense didn't already know.

Games now vary in price.

Good news keeps rolling in. Glad to see 60$ games will be around to stay next gen.

And since indies can set their own prices, also a good sign too.

Top Bottom