• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P.N.03 deserve a second chance

Malvingt2

18178-pn03-old-full.png

P.N.03 received mixed reviews from video game publications, who also labeled it a commercial failure. Critics called the game repetitive and lamented its brevity. Reviewers were divided on its gameplay mechanics: some criticized the controls—specifically the inability to move and shoot simultaneously—while others praised its reward system and likened it to older video games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBGqrUALzyQ

it is one of those games that people love or hate and that it did failed as a new IP. It was rushed with a bland world.

I believe that it does deserve a remake or an update. [I don't care which console] WiiU games pad could do wonder with the gameplay.

Vanessa Z. Schneider is a great character and I would love to see more of her. The concept was cool and the gameplay too..

what do you think? should Capcom just leave this failure IP in peace? or revive it?

EDIT: Typo. Chance. Please mod change it for me.

Kydd BlaZe

I was hugely anticipating this game when it was supposed to be a shooter. Lost all interest in it once that concept was scrapped.

Capcom won't touch this again and without Mikami I'd rather not.

But the game is good, very good. Yeah is quite short and dosn't have the polish of other Mikami games, but the gameplay is fun, once you get that is not a shooter rather and arcade action game.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I consider Vanquish the spiritual successor. PN03 could have benefited from a second chance Wii port as well. Like RE4, the controls were well suited for it. With Wii's higher install base, the game might have reached more people. Unfortunately, I think the ship has sailed. I don't see Capcom making another one.

Footos22

Bought this game when it was released, finished it in one sitting as it was so so short and promptly got my money back. Not one thing stood out as good for me at all. Maybe i was playing it wrong? Who knows. But it had a very bland world. So this wouldn't interest me in the slightest.

pargonta

For me it was the fluid and rhythmic combo based gameplay that was the core of the experience.

dancing and ballet based gameplay and animation, if you will... i'm all for it.
shooting in place, the dodging and supermoves and suits, etc.

but the fiction and everything else can be done as far as i'm concerned.

For me it was the fluid and rhythmic combo based gameplay that was the core of the experience.

dancing and ballet based gameplay and animation, if you will... i'm all for it.
shooting in place, the dodging and supermoves and suits, etc.

but the fiction and everything else can be done as far as i'm concerned.

Yeah, plot was basically a excuse to avoid doing more characters lol

Is clearly that the game had very little dev time.

is it wrong i only clicked on this thread to see the gif that i knew would be posted?

Never played the game, i remember pretty lackluster impressions when it came out

Aretak

Never played the game, i remember pretty lackluster impressions when it came out
I think a lot of people just didn't understand what it was at the time. It was being compared to things like Devil May Cry, when that's just not what the game is about. It's essentially a scrolling shooter done in 3D, with a gameplay style far more similar to something like Ikaruga than to your standard third-person action game. There's still never been anything else quite like it as far as I know.

That is one attractive lead character.

Capcom should put her in a fighting game.

Well seeing as they don't remember Vanessa's existence and that this was a Mikami joint I'd highly doubt this ever happening. And Capcom is very good at forgetting shit they did when it fits them. Seen D.D or Rook lately? When's the last time you've heard them even speak of Final Fight Revenge? And so on and so on.

The real hump to Vanessa in a fighting game is finding a way to make her work in what I'd allege would take place in a 2D space. P.N.03 was all about her movement within the 3D confines. When I do consider it like that she could be a complete MvC3 Jill replacement with a nice turn on Mad Beast Mode or something similar. So maybe it could work.

And P.N03 is a good game worth at least a single playthrough just to experience it and the "dead giveaway swerve" at the end.

Empty

i don't know if it should be re-released but it's certainly an under-appreciated mikami game. rough round the edges and not fully baked like vanquish but interesting and worthwhile for the core combat.

i think this retrospective on eurogamer does a good job of summing it up
Ignore the rather ungainly jump animation, and combat becomes an elegant dance between you and your robot opponents. Indeed, there's a strong rhythmic element to encounters, with Schneider's constant head bobbing and foot tapping matching the pulsing techno beats, helping you gauge the timing of incoming attacks.

The very best moments come when you clear out almost every enemy in a room via conventional fire, and then deliver the coup de grâce with an Energy Drive command. That gorgeous arched-back pose, timed to coincide with the missiles hitting their target, is one of gaming's all-time great pieces of showboating, all the more satisfying for the struggle you had to go through to get there.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-20-retrospective-p-n-03

I think a lot of people just didn't understand what it was at the time. It was being compared to things like Devil May Cry, when that's just not what the game is about. It's essentially a scrolling shooter done in 3D, with a gameplay style far more similar to something like Ikaruga than to your standard third-person action game. There's still never been anything else quite like it as far as I know.
this man, he knows.

regardless, i think bayonetta and vanquish have delivered more on what people were expecting and what mikami was originally trying to create anyway.

Matthew9559

Neo Member
While I liked the gameplay, the environment was horrible. People say the original Halo reused the same hallways again and again but this game took it to another level of repetiveness. That was my major complaint. Overall, I enjoyed the game and would definitely keep an eye on a rebooted version.

PN03 is one of those games that I always wanted to play, but never did. If it ever saw a digital release I would consider buying it, but I have doubts Capcom would ever do so.

Malvingt2

P.N:03 was great, I'd love to see more

thanks for the screens.

I always liked her design. Reminds me a lot of Lady from DMC.

"Do you want to touch me?"
I see what you did there. lol

this...

PN03 is one of those games that I always wanted to play, but never did. If it ever saw a digital release I would consider buying it, but I have doubts Capcom would ever do so.

Capcom is doing his best to forget about this game. RE4 Mercenaries mode had tracks from P.N.03 and is clear that mode was based on the combo mechanics of P.N.03.

Did Capcom maintained this nod to the game? No, erased completely from any iteration of Mercenaries mode.

Malvingt2

Capcom is doing his best to forget about this game. RE4 Mercenaries mode had tracks from P.N.03 and is clear that mode was based on the combo mechanics of P.N.03.

Did Capcom maintained this nod to the game? No, erased completely from any iteration of Mercenaries mode.

I didn't know about this.. I learned something new..hmm

Bittercup

This game was next to the Resident Evil 1 Remake the reason I bought a Gamecube and I love it.
A second chance as a remake or a new game with a bit more polish and content would be great. But I doubt we will ever get one :/ and even if, due to the game's low sales and poor ratings I would assume a remake would be radically changed.

yurinka

Dat dancing ass deserves a second chance, but the rest of the game was crap (huge Capcom fan here, and back then a big Nintendo fan too) IMO. So please include her in MvsC4 or similar and forget the idea of making a sequel or HD version.
We played it on Gamecube because it didn't had a lot of great games and it was Capcom, and it may felt interesting because you were comparing to a lot of mediocre and bad games in the platform.

I didn't know about this.. I learned something new..hmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1TyOWUCqFI

This was Hunk's theme on RE4 Merc

Dat dancing ass deserves a second chance, but the rest of the game was crap IMO. So please include her in MvsC4 or similar and forget the idea of making a sequel or HD version.
We played it on Gamecube because it didn't had a lot of great games and it was Capcom, and it may felt interesting because you were comparing to a lot of mediocre and bad games in the platform.

No it's a genuine good game once you grasp the control of the game and understand that is not just another shooter. It has is problems but the mechanics were tight, is very fun increasingly making larger combos while learning the enemies patterns and using the covers of the rooms.

I picked this game up recently for $0.75 cents* & i'm currently playing it right now.
I think i'm on level four & although i plan on finishing the game it does have a TON of legitimate faults by today's standards. If they were to do a re-release it would need lot's of polish.

*This game and all gamecube games are 75% off at gamestop stores.
Click the "pick up in store" link to see if it's available locally for you:
http://www.gamestop.com/gc/games/pn03/26795

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I could never get over just how ugly and boring the environments looked in still screens. I guess that's why I avoided it. It was definitely my least favourite-looking of the Capcom Five.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Would buy a DD release no questions asked.

I have a copy of this game that I never opened and played. Should I open it at this point and finally try it or keep it sealed?

sphinx

the piano man
I always thought that the closest we will get to a spiritual sucessor or love letter to P.N.03 has already appeared in the form of Vanquish.

We got that and that's it with that kind of gameplay on Mikami's part, I think.

Kyari

I started playing this for the first time recently, and I can't bring myself to agree with you OP.
Its pretty clumsy, the mechanics aren't explained particularly well, the world is pretty bland and the shooting is incredibly basic. It would need a drastic overhaul to be anywhere near workable by modern standard.

I think realistically this is no better or worse than any other mid-tier generic third person shooter from the PS2/Gamecube generation, it just has a sexualised protagonist so people care a little more.

FourMyle

Capcom has much, much more interesting IPs that they could go back to and that I'd rather play over this game. PN03 was seriously one of the most boring games I played last gen. I don't see what there is to salvage about this game when Mikami already made great stuff like Vanquish since PN03.

Jawmuncher

I bought this for 3 dollars at gamestop.
I plan on playing it someday just to see if I can enjoy it like some people here do.

Hero

The game is a combo based 2D shooter done in 3D. Not a lot of people get that or even want that out of a game. But it was very methodical and fluid if you did get it. Lots of flaws but such a great middle tier game. It clearly was the basis for a lot of things in RE4 so for the fact alone it deserves praise. Also, that soundtrack.

Top Bottom