• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-generation Xbox may be called Xbox Gold, according to recent domain activity

Nibel

9hEbFzy.jpg

"Xbox, Lock" if old

As we get closer to Microsoft revealing its next-generation Xbox console, there will be a lot more talk about the name. Over the years, people have been suggesting possible names like the Xbox 720, Xbox Infinity, Xbox 8, Xbox Next, and the list goes on and on.

Given all the information already known about the next-gen console, here’s another name to throw into the ring: Xbox Gold.

Now before you say to yourself, “No way it will be called this”, this speculation isn’t entirely from left field, as Microsoft has left a new trail of domain bread crumbs recently involving the name “Xbox Gold”.

Check the source for in-depth article

Souurrrcccce

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Xbox Gold Live Gold

Gold-gate-bloom-age-bloom-bloom-gold...

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
There's no way this is the name of the machine itself.

(Disclaimer: If this IS the name, you're not allowed to quote me making fun of it.)

UberTag

This tells us that Xbox Gold means something.
Plenty of things will be named Xbox apart from the actual console.

If anyone wants to register Xboxsilver.com or Xboxplatinum.com, they're both still available. :)

Bingo. It's most likely describing the service and not the console itself.

Indeed. I thought it was quite obvious in that it was related to a service, not the console.

Could be referring to a rebrand of Xbox Live Gold to just Xbox Gold?

I feel it's referring to a social/apps based subscription service they have planned. One that will be sold separately to the Live Gold subscription. This is speculation on my part, so please don't assume I have insider knowledge, etc.

Indeed. I thought it was quite obvious in that it was related to a service, not the console.

I feel it's referring to a social/apps based subscription service they have planned. One that will be sold separately to the Live Gold subscription. This is speculation on my part, so please don't assume I have insider knowledge, etc.

Could be. I know Microsoft have been slowly killing the Live brand for more straightforward branding for a few years now. I think Xbox Live is the only one left now.

Could be. I know Microsoft have been slowly killing the Live brand for more straightforward branding for a few years now. I think Xbox Live is the only one left now.

I hadn't realised they were moving away from the Live brand in favour of something more simple/straightforward.

In that case, it is probably just a simple renaming of the current Live Gold service. Xbox Gold, Xbox Music, Xbox Movies, etc.

Subscription-mandatory confirmed for next Xbox?

In all seriousness...

Xbox720.com (WHOIS) – Microsoft does not own the domain. The web address made news last year after the owner redirected it to Sony’s Playstation 3 site. Today, the name sends visitors to a website called eGusta.

XboxInfinity.com (WHOIS) – Microsoft does not own the domain. It is currently owned by a resident of China who registered the name after it expired in late 2012. The domain points a parked web page monetized with ads.

Xbox8.com (WHOIS) -Microsoft does not own the domain. It is also owned by a resident of China. The domain name does not resolve to a web site at the time of this story being published.

XboxNext.com (WHOIS) – Microsoft does own this domain, which it uses to redirect visitors to Bing. The company has owned the domain for more than 10 years, but has never put it to use.

XboxGold.com (WHOIS) – You already know the story. Microsoft acquired the name earlier this week, but it’s unknown whether the company opened up its wallet to acquire the name, or if it threatened legal action in order to obtain it.

This is very telling right here. MS would own the 720 domain if the console was called the 720. MS would own the Xbox8 domain if it was called Microsoft 8. Etc.

For example, us.playstation.com/ps4 redicted to the homepage. No other combination (psorbis, pso, orbis) redirected that way.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Subscription-mandatory confirmed for next Xbox?

In all seriousness...

This is very telling right here. MS would own the 720 domain if the console was called the 720. MS would own the Xbox8 domain if it was called Microsoft 8. Etc.

For example, us.playstation.com/ps4 redicted to the homepage. No other combination (psorbis, pso, orbis) redirected that way.

Xbox 720 and Infinity have always been fan-made names if I remember correctly.

leadbelly

Banned
I heard a rumour that there will be a card slot on the front and an LED meter showing how many minutes of play time you have left. The card must be in the slot before the console will turn on.

Top Bottom