• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oi, to any of those with the History of Sonic Book, does it say anything about
Blaze being a prototype for Shadow/Shadow originally being a cat
?

I really hope not.

I asked about that on Sonic Retro last year and as far as any of us could figure out, that information came from ArchAngelUK over at Sonic Wrecks and it was seemingly something he pulled out of his ass in a "YEAH BUT WHAT IF?" sort of thing.

Tizoc

You know the rules. >:|
Well seeing as it got this thread back on track, just bringing it up served a purpose!
As far as Sonic music goes...Robotnik's boss theme in 3 is a remix of his theme in 2.
...and man...I miss Special Stages like the one in Sonic 3, what was the last game to have utilized the concept?

Well seeing as it got this thread back on track, just bringing it up served a purpose!
As far as Sonic music goes...Robotnik's boss theme in 3 is a remix of his theme in 2.
...and man...I miss Special Stages like the one in Sonic 3, what was the last game to have utilized the concept?

Sonic and Knuckles
and if you played it with Sonic 1 instead of 2 and 3 you get Blue Sphere which has 134,217,728 levels of the special stage.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic and Knuckles
and if you played it with Sonic 1 instead of 2 and 3 you get Blue Sphere which has 134,217,728 levels of the special stage.
For the most part, I tend to consider Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3 one singular game since they were developed with that idea in mind, sooooo... he was kinda accurate if he subscribed to the same idea.

Oi, to any of those with the History of Sonic Book, does it say anything about
Blaze being a prototype for Shadow/Shadow originally being a cat
?
I'll check when I get home (unless someone gets to it earlier than I do). I don't think I remember even reading it in there.

Waiting on a package from japan that seems to be stuck in limbo. Tracking hasn't changed at all in the past 4 or 5 days... :/
You wouldn't be the only one. Must be American customs. I know a few people who've had to wait a few weeks for their stuff lately... and they ordered faster shipping.

I don't think I can successfully partake in that Sonic discussion up there, terminology has defeated me.
I'll make it easy: "What's the best Sonic 3 competition mode theme?"

Sorry. I just had to bring up the chords and tabs and stuff. :x
Fun fact: When my guitar teacher learned that I was into video games, because it was so common to hear it and tab it I guess, he ended up teaching me how to tab stuff for NES games, so, like... Contra, SMB, SMB3, etc. Mega Man stuff was too hard at the time because it's so fast, but you can probably do it when you get used to having your fingers on the fretboard as a beginner (ie: when you've built up your callouses--even to this day, my pinky callouses haven't really built up, but my other fingers are fine).

NES tunes are relatively simple to play just because there's only 4 channels dedicated to the music anyway.

It's one of the worse versions, though (at least, of the "good" ones)... Maybe pick the PC version up off of GOG?

Dreamcast version would be ideal, but at least the PC version's readily available.

Yeah, the Dreamcast/PC versions are the best versions.

The PS1 version does have the novelty of having that unlocakable beta level, though.

qq more

Whatever you do, never buy the 3DS version of Rayman 2. What a waste of 20 dollars!

EDIT: Too lazy to quote Schala but yes. Chrome Gadget's theme is one of the best in that game. Sooooooo good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, qq's right. Worst version.

Kinda sucks the 3DS gets shafted like this sometimes. Bad version of ASRT at the start, Rayman 2, Rayman Origins' demo had slowdown that I don't know was in the final version...

EDIT: Too lazy to quote Schala but yes. Chrome Gadget's theme is one of the best in that game. Sooooooo good.
Chrome Gadget auto-wins.

I'll make it easy: "What's the best Sonic 3 competition mode theme?"

Sorry. I just had to bring up the chords and tabs and stuff. :x
Fun fact: When my guitar teacher learned that I was into video games, because it was so common to hear it and tab it I guess, he ended up teaching me how to tab stuff for NES games, so, like... Contra, SMB, SMB3, etc. Mega Man stuff was too hard at the time because it's so fast, but you can probably do it when you get used to having your fingers on the fretboard as a beginner (ie: when you've built up your callouses--even to this day, my pinky callouses haven't really built up, but my other fingers are fine).

NES tunes are relatively simple to play just because there's only 4 channels dedicated to the music anyway.
I don't actually know which of those themes I like the most, I haven't really spent enough time with the mode to have any drilled into my head.

I'm sure you could manage the Mega Man themes if you played the themes PAL style, much sloooower.

...They ported Rayman 2 to the DS? Oh god.
Vintage Ubisoft launch title, i'm surprised that in order to make up for denying me Rayman Legends this week that they didn't quickly port Rayman 2 for the umpteenth time as a terrible peace offering.

I actually bought Rayman 3D at launch (alongside SSF4 and Pilotwings).

The framerate actually didn't bother me (although the 3DS should totally be able to handle this game better :I); most of what bothered me was either graphical in nature (wtf was up with the skies?), audio-related (why don't Rayman's shots make noises anymore?) or gameplay-related (why isn't the web for the secret 1000th Lum bouncy like it should be?).

Quackula

I used to play random mega man tunes on my guitar by ear. I remember figuring out wood man's theme at least.

Fun stuff. I need to get my amp out of the pawn shop.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Right.

(I actually didn't know those games got a DS port.)
They didn't.

This is fact. They didn't. I assure you. I am telling the truth.

I don't actually know which of those themes I like the most, I haven't really spent enough time with the mode to have any drilled into my head.

I'm sure you could manage the Mega Man themes if you played the themes PAL style, much sloooower.
Oh yeah, totally. PAL version of Sonic 1's OST is the best. Best version of Quickman's stage.

gotta go sloooooooooowwwwwwwwww

They're not so bad, but they're so strange.

I used to play random mega man tunes on my guitar by ear. I remember figuring out wood man's theme at least.

Fun stuff. I need to get my amp out of the pawn shop.
My amp's downstairs, but I've been sticking with an acoustic for a while (lol, like I have time to break it out every now and then at present) so I haven't used it much.

I've always dug the Quick Slow Man stage theme, I can only assume that it gives me slightly more time to notice the lasers of death.

Quackula

My amp's downstairs, but I've been sticking with an acoustic for a while (lol, like I have time to break it out every now and then at present) so I haven't used it much.

I don't have an acoustic, but I haven't touched my electric in several months now. I'm probably pretty rusty, I don't even have callouses any more.

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to try and sit down and play a flying V?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't have an acoustic, but I haven't touched my electric in several months now. I'm probably pretty rusty, I don't even have callouses any more.

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to try and sit down and play a flying V?
Yeah, because those guitars are usually designed to play when standing up (at least, to me that's what they're for). One of my friends had those, but usually practiced/sat down and jammed on a regular one with a proper arch.

Lucky. I've been wanting to get rid of my callouses for a while, tbh. My last two fingers are okay (honestly, my pinky never took to the strings very well), and my middle finger seems to have lost a bit but it's still kinda hard, but my index finger looks like it'll never be soft.

I've always dug the Quick Slow Man stage theme, I can only assume that it gives me slightly more time to notice the lasers of death.
Was that stage any easier in the PAL version? I'm curious.

I mean, if you didn't use Time Stopper.

but can you play Wonderwall, Schala

until you do that at a party you're not a true guitar hero
Everyone can play Wonderwall! And you have to sing it like Liam Gallagher, since that's what all the dudes tried to do in band. Because it's a way to pick up girls.

(Nah, man, no one wants to play Wonderwall at parties anymore. There was this one guy who always used to play it in one of the buildings at my old uni because he was totally trying to pick girls up.)

Quackula

Yeah, because those guitars are usually designed to play when standing up (at least, to me that's what they're for). One of my friends had those, but usually practiced/sat down and jammed on a regular one with a proper arch.

Lucky. I've been wanting to get rid of my callouses for a while, tbh. My last two fingers are okay (honestly, my pinky never took to the strings very well), and my middle finger seems to have lost a bit but it's still kinda hard, but my index finger looks like it'll never be soft.

Yeah, I always did practice with mine standing up. I've had this thing for years and seriously love it, but it's got a locking trem and I'm sick of all the difficulties that come with changing strings and tuning those things.

Actually if I invest in new music equipment at all it'll probably be a good bass guitar rig. I seriously love bass, love playing it, never have owned anything good though. Wouldn't mind making that my main instrument.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I always did practice with mine standing up. I've had this thing for years and seriously love it, but it's got a locking trem and I'm sick of all the difficulties that come with changing strings and tuning those things.

Actually if I invest in new music equipment at all it'll probably be a good bass guitar rig. I seriously love bass, love playing it, never have owned anything good though. Wouldn't mind making that my main instrument.
Yeah, locking trems are annoying. I can see why you'd want to swap.

Bass is really fun, just because I feel like the lines are catchier and more interesting to play than swapping chords. I'm in a similar position. I love the instrument, and I love the sound, but I haven't played my own (played other people's bass guitars) nor have I ever invested in one. It's easier to learn than the guitar, but I feel like it's a little more difficult to master. Part of that is because the bass is bigger than I am and I have small hands. It needs a bigger reach than a guitar does.

The frets are bigger, and I feel like it's more physically straining than playing a 24-fret guitar just because of my size.

Quackula

It's funny, if you play nothing but bass for about a month or two and then try to go back to guitar, the guitar ends up feeling REALLY small.

Quackula

There are some flat out ridiculous basses if you dig around.

Gotta love the 9 string Pac Bass
a2f38294ae495c95b87c51c1ad30cab6.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^I'm genuinely surprised Crush40/Jun Senoue didn't bother to release a Sonic bass guitar (they released their own electric). I know he's a guitarist, but still.

Everything about the bass is huge!
-bigger neck
-bigger frets
-bigger strings

It's just so big. Like, bearing in mind that I'm almost 5', my arm length is probably not enough for it. Kinda had to train my fingers to reach better with both the guitar and bass.

It's best if you're rhythmically-inclined, though. Like... let's take that MGR song posted earlier in the thread. It seems to exist for harmony with the main guitar, but even then, you can still do your own thing (actually, it seems to synch better with piano's bass chords, but really, it's there to harmonize with the guitar). I still think, provided it stayed on-key, the bassist really could've done their own thing with it.

It's much like how I take pleasure in the bass in Classic Planet Wisp--I like basslines like this the most, tbh (when they're doing some funky stuff). Or even T-Square's stuff (well, this is more jazz fusion, but...jazz is fuck-awesome for bass because like... listen to this stuff. It's soooo good.).

Emitan said:
Schala doesn't need to pick up chicks
Funny you say that. I've had girls flirt with me before. It's an interesting experience, but I'm into guys.

Nert

I really wish that more game soundtracks would attempt to use rap/hip-hop. There was some okay stuff in MadWorld and some better stuff in the Afro Samurai game, but I can't think of many other game soundtracks that dedicate more than a song or two to the genre.

Was that stage any easier in the PAL version? I'm curious.

I mean, if you didn't use Time Stopper.
I'll have to try the 60hz version at some point and find out, I think the Heat Man blocks might become a far more deadly issue.

I really wish that more game soundtracks would attempt to use rap/hip-hop. There was some okay stuff in MadWorld and some better stuff in the Afro Samurai game, but I can't think of many other game soundtracks that dedicate more than a song or two to the genre.

Now you mention it I would like some more of that instrumental hip-hop style in games.

I am not crazy enough to play Blue Sphere.

Just go grab the PS2 ver. that's on US PSN already.
Heck while you're at it, grab Sonic Heroes from EU PSN as well
It is? I thought only the PS1 version was.

I heard they added a fair deal of exclusive level content to the PS2 version - albeit it pays for it in slowdowns galore.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll have to try the 60hz version at some point and find out, I think the Heat Man blocks might become a far more deadly issue.
Bean was right; we do talk more about Mega Man in this thread than in the actual Mega Man thread. President Beef can't be happy about that.
KuGsj.gif

Heat Man isn't really that hard, though. But I guess I can say that because time spent with the game in general. It was the first game I played and liked, after all. Despite being terrible at it.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that.

sOzUZyu.png

A rather popular example: FF13-2's soundtrack had some of it.

I'll take them off your hands...

*plays a wicked guitar solo*
The conversations were just odd, that's all. But take the younger men too. Some of them are downright rude. I'm into slightly older guys for the most part because they're generally more laid-back and nicer.

Tizoc said:
Heck while you're at it, grab Sonic Heroes from EU PSN as well
Why would you wish this upon someone?

So looking at our current Wall of Shame, I'm somewhere around 8th or so.

Man, I have a lot of posting to do if I want to reclaim my 3rd Place spot, or higher. (Pfft, like I could outdo Schala or qq more. Sure.)

qq more

Heroes was terrible but I don't think it was that bad. It's much much better than whatever the hell I've played of Shadow The Hedgehog. I honestly won't mind replaying it since I plan to do a marathon of Sonic games this year.

So looking at our current Wall of Shame, I'm somewhere around 8th or so.

Man, I have a lot of posting to do if I want to reclaim my 3rd Place spot, or higher. (Pfft, like I could outdo Schala or qq more. Sure.)
I still feel ashamed of having 2000+ posts in the previous thread. I'm afraid I'm going to surpass that eventually.

EDIT: WAIT WHEN DID SCHALA BEAT MY POST COUNT!? WHAT

I WAS AHEAD OF HER!!! NO FAIR!

Heroes was terrible but I don't think it was that bad. It's much much better than whatever the hell I've played of Shadow The Hedgehog. I honestly won't mind replaying it since I plan to do a marathon of Sonic games this year.
Having the flu is better than having cancer

qq more

Having the flu is better than having cancer

Having anything is better than reading a really certain terrible post I've just saw on GAF. I want to vomit really badly now.

Okay sorry if that went too far, I just feel like venting after seeing... that post I've just read. Dear goddddd. I am so sorry for ever bashing console war discussions, they're so much better than... what I've just read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom