• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

TheFLYINGManga_Ka
Member
(04-01-2013, 09:06 PM)
TheFLYINGManga_Ka's Avatar
Tried out the multiplayer on the ps3. Is the framerate this bad? Is the 360 similar?

It's kind of hard to aim. It's still enjoyable but it kind of hurts my eyes.
RagnarokX
(04-01-2013, 09:41 PM)
RagnarokX's Avatar

Originally Posted by John Harker

I can't be mad, they are the only ones putting women front and center without any men around them... Both with Lara and Lightening. Hey, its something... I guess

What...? Old Lara went solo. This game surrounded her with guys sacrificing their lives in stupid ways to keep her alive.
John Harker
Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
(04-01-2013, 09:52 PM)
John Harker's Avatar

Originally Posted by RagnarokX

What...? Old Lara went solo. This game surrounded her with guys sacrificing their lives in stupid ways to keep her alive.



not sure what you mean? there isn't a single male character on the keyart
Sissel
Member
(04-02-2013, 12:07 AM)
Sissel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fine Ham Abounds

Well, a lynch mob could put them front and center too. I'm not sure how fantastic either are for representing female protagonists.

Old Lara and new Lara are both cartoon characters, old Lara was exploitative but confident, new Lara is exploitative but desperate. Both spend a lot of time killing their competition. I won't bother wasting the time trying to analyze which is better or worse for the plight of female leads, it seems as fruitful as analyzing whether Bugs Bunny or Scrooge McDuck better represent males.

I can't comment on Lightning because I haven't played any game with her in it yet.

Personally, when I think good female protagonists, I think Jade from BG&E.

The new Lara is much more interesting a character, it's not even close. Old Lara was annoying in how over confident she was while throwing around corny one liners.
ubersticky
Member
(04-02-2013, 05:51 PM)
ubersticky's Avatar
Tomb Raider DLC: new map pack released, others dated
Weapons packs and multiplayer characters also unlocked on PS3 and PC


Square Enix has released new Tomb Raider DLC in the form of a fresh multiplayer map pack, while dating more upcoming game add-ons.

The 1939 multiplayer map pack is out now on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, the publisher said today.

Meanwhile, the previously Xbox 360 exclusive Caves and Cliffs multiplayer map pack will be released on PS3 and PC in mid-April, and the Shipwrecked multiplayer map pack will hit all three platforms in early May. Details of each release follow the new multiplayer trailer below.

Additionally, all launch exclusive Tomb Raider DLC is now available on PS3 and Steam. It features a range of weapons packs and multiplayer characters.

1939 multiplayer map pack

- Dogfight: Dating back to the World War II experiments conducted on the island, this bunker is a deadly maze of brick and mortar that could easily become a tomb.
- Forest Meadow: This forest meadow is a hunting ground, filled with open spaces that can be advantageous and dangerous at the same time. Who is the hunter and who is the hunted?

Shipwrecked multiplayer map pack

- Lost Fleet: A massive beached ship serves as a dangerous battleground filled with twists, turns, and traps.
- Himiko's Cradle: Danger lurks around every corner in this mountain top shrine. The area is sacred to the scavengers and will be your final resting place if you are not careful.

Caves and Cliffs multiplayer map pack

- Scavenger Caverns: A massive network of caves used by the scavengers as a prison area.
- Cliff Shantytown: This settlement was built high in the island cliffs. Its many layers hide some of the deadliest traps on the island.
- The Burning Village: A fire has erupted in an abandoned Japanese village. The burning buildings offer multiple ways to escape your enemies, but enter them at your own peril.



Source
Last edited by ubersticky; 04-02-2013 at 05:59 PM.
metareferential
Member
(04-02-2013, 05:57 PM)
metareferential's Avatar
Finished the game yesterday. The ending is beyond stupid, but I really liked the game.

It's a visual marvel, and in 3D it's amazing. A very good alternative to Uncharted, even though it lacks the charm some of the characters in Naughty Dog's franchise have.

One of the highlight of the year for sure. I still miss the original gameplay, though.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka
Member
(04-02-2013, 06:40 PM)
TheFLYINGManga_Ka's Avatar
It may lack the charm of Uncharted's characters but I think Lara's characterization and her development is much stronger and well done.

Also multiplayer is pretty fun. It's not better than Uncharted but still fun. It was hard to get used to at first but once in clicks it's not bad. Those new maps will round it out more and make it a solid experience. My only worry is if people will buy it.
iNvid02
Member
(04-02-2013, 07:41 PM)
iNvid02's Avatar
how long do i have left to go?

alex just sacrificed himself and im in the endurance with those tools

just not that into it anymore, wanna start bioshock but if there is not long to go i might as well protect lara a little longer
Last edited by iNvid02; 04-02-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Superflat
Member
(04-02-2013, 07:44 PM)
Superflat's Avatar

Originally Posted by iNvid02

how long do i have left to go?

alex just sacrificed himself and im in the endurance with those tools

You're about 3/4 of the way done
iNvid02
Member
(04-02-2013, 07:47 PM)
iNvid02's Avatar

Originally Posted by Superflat

You're about 3/4 of the way done

ok thanks man

just a little longer and then its time to get off this dreary shithole and skyward unto columbia
TheFLYINGManga_Ka
Member
(04-03-2013, 11:01 PM)
TheFLYINGManga_Ka's Avatar
To those who beat it: how much do I have left?
At Geothermal caves after river of blood.

Thanks.
DukeBobby
Member
(04-03-2013, 11:02 PM)
DukeBobby's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheFLYINGManga_Ka

To those who beat it: how much do I have left?
At Geothermal caves after river of blood.

Thanks.

You're a little over halfway.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka
Member
(04-03-2013, 11:30 PM)
TheFLYINGManga_Ka's Avatar

Originally Posted by DukeBobby

You're a little over halfway.

Great. Thanks.

it's a pretty long game, which I'm happy about.
Linius
Member
(04-03-2013, 11:35 PM)
Linius's Avatar
Finished it today. It was a fun game but now it's time to vacuum ghosts and live in a floating city. Don't feel like collecting all those gps cashes, relics etc.
ak1976
Junior Member
(04-03-2013, 11:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Linius

Finished it today. It was a fun game but now it's time to vacuum ghosts and live in a floating city. Don't feel like collecting all those gps cashes, relics etc.

I'm on the same boat, gotta beat dead space 3, then tomb raider and then I can go to bio and luigi...How was the single player campaign?
teruterubozu
Member
(04-04-2013, 01:15 PM)
teruterubozu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Linius

Finished it today. It was a fun game but now it's time to vacuum ghosts and live in a floating city. Don't feel like collecting all those gps cashes, relics etc.

Yeah, not worth it really. I got up to 94% and lost interest - it's more of a standard fetch quest than true "secret finding". In fact, revisiting the areas takes the magic out the game - you notice how rather simplistic the levels really are without all the dynamic cut scenes and enemies.
Rhazer Fusion
Member
(04-04-2013, 01:23 PM)
Rhazer Fusion's Avatar
Just got the game and I think it is amazing. I might even like it better than the great Uncharted games even though I am only 24% in. There is something about the world and setting that grabs and captivates me. It's almost like the character is alive and I can feel Lara's pain and emotions. Good stuff. So far, I am really enjoying it.
Ricker
Member
(04-04-2013, 01:45 PM)
Ricker's Avatar
Finally got all the documents,GPS cache etc but I didnt get the 50 point achievement that goes with it on the 360...is this a know glitch?
Ce-Lin
Member
(04-04-2013, 02:10 PM)
Ce-Lin's Avatar
great game, specially the PC version with Tress FX and all that jazz enabled, will be in my top 10 for sure. Uncharted games are on a ligue of their own though.
Axspell
Junior Member
(04-04-2013, 02:23 PM)
Axspell's Avatar
This game plays so solidly... but I just don't enjoy it. I'm not having fun fun. The story is just so bad and exemplifies everything that's wrong with game narratives. Lara is such an unlikeable character, parading around about saving everyone while ruthlessly mass murdering person after person after person after person after person. She's a ruthless bullet sponge. A savage. There is absolutely no cogent character in the gameplay and I feel disgusted every moment I'm in control of her.
Gucci Messiah
Banned
(04-04-2013, 03:04 PM)
Gucci Messiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by teruterubozu

Yeah, not worth it really. I got up to 94% and lost interest - it's more of a standard fetch quest than true "secret finding". In fact, revisiting the areas takes the magic out the game - you notice how rather simplistic the levels really are without all the dynamic cut scenes and enemies.

Don't quit at 94%
ilnadmy
Member
(04-04-2013, 10:29 PM)
ilnadmy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ricker

Finally got all the documents,GPS cache etc but I didnt get the 50 point achievement that goes with it on the 360...is this a know glitch?

Did you get all the challenges? e.g., the minesweeper on the beach, the mushrooms in the forest, etc.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka
Member
(04-05-2013, 01:09 AM)
TheFLYINGManga_Ka's Avatar
How do I know how many hours I clocked in so far? For the life of me I can't find it. The save profile time that shows is confusing and doesn't seem right.
BroggieDoge
Member
(04-05-2013, 01:29 AM)
BroggieDoge's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rhazer Fusion

Just got the game and I think it is amazing. I might even like it better than the great Uncharted games even though I am only 24% in. There is something about the world and setting that grabs and captivates me. It's almost like the character is alive and I can feel Lara's pain and emotions. Good stuff. So far, I am really enjoying it.

I was a little late picking this game up as well (So many games to play). I finally picked this up yesterday and played it all night. Basically came here to post the same thing as I quoted. This game is too good!
theosi
Member
(04-05-2013, 02:06 AM)
theosi's Avatar
Finished up Bioshock Infinite last weekend and loved it so much. When it was done I had one of those empty feelings and didn't want to pick up any other game, just feeling like nothing would be able satisfy me ever again.

I ended up giving Tomb Raider a shot, kind of not expecting much, but man, the game may not be an old style Tomb Raider game, but it still is damn fun. Gameplay feels great (love that bow), story is nothing special but still has that Lost/Uncharted vibe which has been entertaining. Only complaint is that the secret tombs so far are basically one simple puzzle-> treasure chest-> walk back out. Could have been really great if they were a bit longer/more complex.

I don't get all the hate, but then again my memories of the old tomb raider games on PC as a kid were of me lining up seemingly easy platform jumps and falling to my death repeatedly then reloading my saves over and over. I don't miss that.

Hope it actually merits a sequel despite SE's odd expectations.
Ricker
Member
(04-05-2013, 03:43 AM)
Ricker's Avatar

Originally Posted by ilnadmy

Did you get all the challenges? e.g., the minesweeper on the beach, the mushrooms in the forest, etc.

No but I found the 2 GPS caches I was missing,even though it said I had 100% on the camp screen(or found 6 out 6)....they where in the Beach area...finding those hidden GPS caches gave me the hidden document as well which allowed me to 100% my bow upgrade that gave me the other 50 point achievement for upgrading every weapon...

Still missing 3 mines,1 egg poacher and one firestarter somewhere in that elevator level...
Goodacre0081
Member
(04-05-2013, 09:55 AM)
Goodacre0081's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheFLYINGManga_Ka

How do I know how many hours I clocked in so far? For the life of me I can't find it. The save profile time that shows is confusing and doesn't seem right.

i think that's just the time of day you saved at. completely useless too, why would we want to even know that?
Scapegoat
Member
(04-05-2013, 10:38 AM)
Scapegoat's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheFLYINGManga_Ka

How do I know how many hours I clocked in so far? For the life of me I can't find it. The save profile time that shows is confusing and doesn't seem right.

Go to the official site, then go stats, link your account, and go personal stats.
RyL
Banned
(04-05-2013, 11:59 AM)
RyL's Avatar
This video comparison is hilarious and sad at the same time...

http://youtu.be/CEN5obhFRj4
shinobi602
(04-07-2013, 02:16 AM)
shinobi602's Avatar
I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying this game right now. I finished the "Hall of Ascension" tomb. The combat is a lot of fun, bow is fun to use, and I genuinely like Lara in this one. Absolutely gorgeous visuals (PS3).

I also have to say the people who were up in arms about the "rape" scene look really stupid right now. I was expecting some major shit and nothing even happened.
emag
Member
(04-08-2013, 03:51 AM)
emag's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinobi602

I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying this game right now. I finished the "Hall of Ascension" tomb. The combat is a lot of fun, bow is fun to use, and I genuinely like Lara in this one. Absolutely gorgeous visuals (PS3).

I also have to say the people who were up in arms about the "rape" scene look really stupid right now. I was expecting some major shit and nothing even happened.

There's really nothing controversial about the final product, despite the prerelease bellyaching. I agree on that point.

That said, I had to really force myself to finish this Tomb Raider (a Redbox rental). The platforming, puzzle-solving, and exploration elements are so simplistic and linear that I could not derive any satisfaction from them and the firefights and atmosphere are just a weak blend of Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted (attempting RE4 style level design and swarming enemies in a cover based shooter was a terrible, terrible decision).

I'm not a huge Tomb Raider or Uncharted fan, although I've played several games in each franchise (I did really like Guardian of Light). This Tomb Raided is just so without innovation, character, or charm -- it's a paint-by-numbers, committee-designed, competent product. That other UK-developed recent reboot, DmC, may have gotten worse review scores, but at least it was an honest product with actual ambition and drive (and, dare I say, it was fun).
speculawyer
clairvoyancy is no excuse for trollin'
(04-08-2013, 03:57 AM)
speculawyer's Avatar
Well, I finished Bioshock Infinite.

I gotta say, I liked Tomb Raider more. Bioshock had a more interesting story but Tomb Raider was a much better/modern game.

Of course, I'm a probably a bit biased because I got food poisoning while play Bioshock. But I really think the variety of gameplay and game mechanics of Tomb Raider were better.

That said, I felt both game were GREAT and worthy of purchase and playing.
kylej
Banned
(04-08-2013, 04:02 AM)
kylej's Avatar
I'm a long time Tomb Raider fan so maybe I'm a little biased, but I too thought this game was better than Bioshock. Loved this game.
CcrooK
Member
(04-08-2013, 04:05 AM)
CcrooK's Avatar

Originally Posted by kylej

I'm a long time Tomb Raider fan so maybe I'm a little biased, but I too thought this game was better than Bioshock. Loved this game.

It does in some ways. Both games are really good all around though. A shame there's no plans for DLC for Tomb Raider with single player.
Shaanyboi
Member
(04-08-2013, 07:11 PM)
Shaanyboi's Avatar
Finally beat the game acouple nights ago.

I really, really liked it. I wasn't a fan of the first couple hours as it was mostly quicktime event stuff, and there were too many sections throughout of "You have no control except for the ability to go forward", but as the game opened up, I really had a good time with it.

I thought the control felt good, Lara's character was handled reasonably well, and I thought that while the story was still pretty hokey, there were some genuinely great moments of tension.

Also, while I was more less waiting for it the whole game, Lara using the dual pistols to take down Mathias was a pretty satisfying moment.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(04-08-2013, 07:43 PM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by speculawyer

Well, I finished Bioshock Infinite.

I gotta say, I liked Tomb Raider more. Bioshock had a more interesting story but Tomb Raider was a much better/modern game.

Just finished Infinite over the weekend too and was surprised how much it reminded me of Tomb Raider.

Both were games I absolutely loved just wandering around in and exploring the environments. Production value and art design was strong in both titles too, although Bioshock's narrative and characters were far more engaging.

They both suffer from the same problem though - they're incredibly pretty, but filled with shallow gameplay through and through.
seattle6418
Member
(04-09-2013, 12:13 AM)
seattle6418's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinobi602

I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying this game right now. I finished the "Hall of Ascension" tomb. The combat is a lot of fun, bow is fun to use, and I genuinely like Lara in this one. Absolutely gorgeous visuals (PS3).

I also have to say the people who were up in arms about the "rape" scene look really stupid right now. I was expecting some major shit and nothing even happened.

Shit, o totally forgot this... i remember there was supposed to be a rape scene in this one... i've finally played this over the weekend, and i didn't see anything involving sex in this one, not even a kiss.

I liked the game, but i'll comment on that later, i just want to say that the MP is complete trash. It's like those companies don't even play Call of Duty to see how a good MP game looks like.

It's another one of those games that has no business having MP in it.
Shaanyboi
Member
(04-09-2013, 02:54 AM)
Shaanyboi's Avatar

Originally Posted by seattle6418

Shit, o totally forgot this... i remember there was supposed to be a rape scene in this one... i've finally played this over the weekend, and i didn't see anything involving sex in this one, not even a kiss.

I liked the game, but i'll comment on that later, i just want to say that the MP is complete trash. It's like those companies don't even play Call of Duty to see how a good MP game looks like.

It's another one of those games that has no business having MP in it.

Not true. She kisses Alex on the cheek. Lol
isamu
OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
(04-09-2013, 06:29 AM)

Originally Posted by teruterubozu

Yeah, not worth it really. I got up to 94% and lost interest - it's more of a standard fetch quest than true "secret finding". In fact, revisiting the areas takes the magic out the game - you notice how rather simplistic the levels really are without all the dynamic cut scenes and enemies.

I have a question about your post. I am in a similar boat and I'm up to 90%. I have found all the things that are currently showing on the map(all caches, relics, etc) but I'm stil 10% short of completion. Am I correct in assuming there are things that can be found/done that DO NOT show on the map, that is required to obtain the remaining 10%? If so, is there a way to unlock those items/tasks so that they *do* show up on the map, making them easier to find?

There are some areas where I'm down to like 50% completion even though everything *displayed* on the map has been found. What gives?
teruterubozu
Member
(04-09-2013, 02:10 PM)
teruterubozu's Avatar

Originally Posted by isamu

I have a question about your post. I am in a similar boat and I'm up to 90%. I have found all the things that are currently showing on the map(all caches, relics, etc) but I'm stil 10% short of completion. Am I correct in assuming there are things that can be found/done that DO NOT show on the map, that is required to obtain the remaining 10%? If so, is there a way to unlock those items/tasks so that they *do* show up on the map, making them easier to find?

There are some areas where I'm down to like 50% completion even though everything *displayed* on the map has been found. What gives?

I got the motivation and completed 100% a few days ago.

There are special tasks in each level like burning posters, shooting mines, shooting talismans, finding burial grounds, etc. (these are beyond just the regular GPS caches, documents, Relics and treasure map collecting). These tasks do not appear on the map screen, but only as a list of things to do under the completion % for each level. Also, there are some GPS/Relics/documents that are right on top of each other in the map screen that can be easy to miss.

There is also an area called Cliffside Bunker that many people miss - it doesn't have a Fast Travel Camp - you have to walk there from the beach area - it's in the very Southeast corner of the map. There a few documents and caches there.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's better if you finish the game first and go back to the collecting because once you beat the game, the "main" items become revealed in the map screen (even without having to find the treasure map). You'll still have to find the level specific tasks on your own though.
Last edited by teruterubozu; 04-09-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Gucci Messiah
Banned
(04-09-2013, 02:57 PM)
Gucci Messiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shaanyboi

Not true. She kisses Alex on the cheek. Lol

Poor guy couldn't even get some lip action before he died
DeVeAn
Member
(04-09-2013, 03:19 PM)
DeVeAn's Avatar
So when I return to a certain area, The framerate takes a dive unless I look away from the open area.

S****** town is major drops. Is this a thing or just my card?
ilnadmy
Member
(04-09-2013, 03:27 PM)
ilnadmy's Avatar

Originally Posted by MCXC Pioneer

Poor guy couldn't even get some lip action before he died

Dude is a complete wuss though. His last line to Lara was, "I got the tools. I impressed you!" Jeez man, grow a pair.
toastyToast
Member
(04-09-2013, 05:12 PM)
toastyToast's Avatar
A screwdriver. A goddamn screwdriver
FiveElementNinja
Member
(04-09-2013, 06:32 PM)
FiveElementNinja's Avatar
I finished the game this weekend and really enjoyed it. I've never been a fan of Tomb Raider but this one struck me as different, so I bought it on a whim. Ended up really liking it and 100%ing it in the first playthrough. I did kind of get annoyed by the whole "let's constantly beat Lara down" premise. I understand they're trying to show how she became the character she is, but it felt like overkill at times. I also kind of got tired of all the over-the-top epic moments in the game, but not enough to dissuade me from playing. It did start to feel like the movie '2012' at some parts though, but I did enjoy the nod to Jurassic Park Lost World. All in all though, I liked it a lot. I could have done without some of the instant death moments, and I wish there was a way to turn off the batman vision/survival instinct sound, as it made my windows rattle with the bass every time I used it.
Coen
Member
(04-09-2013, 07:33 PM)
Coen's Avatar
Just beat the game. I enjoyed it all the way up to the end although I didn't really feel it was anything special. But, I feel that way about most games these days, so I can't really fault it for that. Maybe I'll try for all the collectables one day but I have GoW, Bioshock, Luigi's Mansion and Lego City Undercover to get to and Fire Emblem's not far of. Anyway, nice game!
isamu
OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
(04-09-2013, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by teruterubozu

I got the motivation and completed 100% a few days ago.

There are special tasks in each level like burning posters, shooting mines, shooting talismans, finding burial grounds, etc. (these are beyond just the regular GPS caches, documents, Relics and treasure map collecting). These tasks do not appear on the map screen, but only as a list of things to do under the completion % for each level. Also, there are some GPS/Relics/documents that are right on top of each other in the map screen that can be easy to miss.

There is also an area called Cliffside Bunker that many people miss - it doesn't have a Fast Travel Camp - you have to walk there from the beach area - it's in the very Southeast corner of the map. There a few documents and caches there.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's better if you finish the game first and go back to the collecting because once you beat the game, the "main" items become revealed in the map screen (even without having to find the treasure map). You'll still have to find the level specific tasks on your own though.

I understand. Thanks for replying and clearing that up :)
itzknickknac
Member
(04-10-2013, 05:56 PM)
itzknickknac's Avatar

Originally Posted by MCXC Pioneer

Don't quit at 94%

Yeah, I'd say don't. I'm trying to get the online trophies (shopoholic and true commitment) and it's starting to feel very tedious reaching level 60. If you don't have dlc maps, it's hard to find a good match (mainly talking about shantytown).
Gucci Messiah
Banned
(04-10-2013, 05:59 PM)
Gucci Messiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by itzknickknac

Yeah, I'd say don't. I'm trying to get the online trophies (shopoholic and true commitment) and it's starting to feel very tedious reaching level 60. If you don't have dlc maps, it's hard to find a good match (mainly talking about shantytown).

Is the online community already dead? I didn't even touch multiplayer during my playthrough.
Square Triangle
Kratos can kill Zeus
but not Pam Anderson?
(04-10-2013, 09:01 PM)
Square Triangle's Avatar
I haven't played this since beating it the first week of its release. It really saddens me they focused their DLC on a MP that no one cares for, instead of getting some beefy SP add-ons.

Thread Tools