Wario64
works for Gamestop (lol)
(02-28-2013, 11:33 PM)
Hi Cliffy

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/pos...s-and-quarters
badcrumble
(02-28-2013, 11:34 PM)
does he actually run a tumblr called "dude huge speaks"

like, is that a for real reality or am I having a nightmare from which I cannot wake
test_account
XP-39C≤
(02-28-2013, 11:35 PM)
People keep paying for microtransactions, so it is pretty clear that the market wants it. Personally i've never really been affected by microtransactions so far. I remember the thing about Dead Space 3 for example, but i didnt feel that it affected the game at all for me.

EDIT: I'm thinking about retail priced games then, not Free To Play game. Free To Play games are often designed a lot more around micro transactions.
Last edited by test_account; 03-01-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Jawmuncher
Clifford Unchained.....
Just imagined a cross between Clifford the big red dog and Django.

Anyway he really does end it with what everyone has been saying for ages, we all vote with our dollars. And if the masses are all for micro transactions there isn't much we can do.
Soulflarz

Originally Posted by badcrumble

like, is that a for real reality or am I having a nightmare from which I cannot wake

Yeah its his
LiK

If youíre currently raging about this on GAF, or on the IGN forums, or on Gamespot, guess what? Youíre the vocal minority.

he still loves us.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(02-28-2013, 11:36 PM)

Originally Posted by badcrumble

It's his: https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/s...51201081237504
_woLf
I really wish Cliffy would just stop talking for awhile.
anaron
Sethos
Banned
He's craving some attention these days
GAMERG0D

If you’re currently raging about this on GAF, or on the IGN forums, or on Gamespot, guess what? You’re the vocal minority. Your average guy that buys just Madden and GTA every year doesn’t know, nor does he care. He has no problem throwing a few bucks more at a game because, hey, why not?

He mentions GAF first of all places, lol.

If you don’t like EA, don’t buy their games. If you don’t like their microtransactions, don’t spend money on them. It’s that simple.

Now my main issue here is, if it's a singleplayer game (as you all know, EA wants microtransactions in ALL their games) shouldn't all content be available to the player in the game rather than an online store? I'm sure when we buy a game we want the FULL experience available to us, not through DLC.
Last edited by GAMERG0D; 02-28-2013 at 11:39 PM.
CliffyB
Playah
(02-28-2013, 11:37 PM)

Originally Posted by _woLf

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!
Mihael Mello Keehl
(02-28-2013, 11:38 PM)
Well he is right on the minority part.

Originally Posted by CliffyB

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

LiK

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

lol
one_kill

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

:D
Glix
He doesn't address AT ALL the shady shit that has been done

He doesn't talk about games being released incomplete. He doesn't talk about Season Passes that don't pan out. He doesn't talk about content being removed from the game to act as DLC.

There is a reason that no one complains about The Walking Dead and having to pay for each episode.

We're not stupid Cliffy.
test_account
XP-39C≤

Originally Posted by GAMERG0D

Now my main issue here is, if it's a singleplayer game (as you all know, EA wants microtransactions in ALL their games) shouldn't it be available to the player in the game rather than an online store? I'm sure when we buy a game we want the FULL experience available to us, not through DLC.

Is there any recent examples for this for EA games? I can only think of stuff that servers as time savers, such as unlocking thing early. You dont pay for any content, you just pay to get access to the stuff earlier. Kinda like paying for a cheat code, in a way. Have there been any stuff where you pay for actual content regarding those micro transactions?
Kobun Heat
コブン41号
ドリンキー子犬倶楽部
(02-28-2013, 11:39 PM)
"If everyone bought their games used, there would be no more games."

Meditate on this Zen koan and you will achieve enlightenment.
Seda
the worst pokemon

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Freezasaurus

Originally Posted by test_account

People keep paying for microtransactions, so it is pretty clear that the market wants it.

I don't know if "wants" is the right word. Maybe "tolerates" would fit better.
antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Last edited by antitrop; 02-28-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Eideka
Banned
Reading him makes me feel so much better about myself.
Bgamer90
As I've said in a previous thread, I've only bought about $100 worth of DLC through out this whole gen. I've played/went through just as much content this gen as I have in previous gens before DLC existed (possibly even more content).

Overall, if I see DLC that I don't like, I just ignore it. If a game has too much DLC to the point in which the main game is really lacking in content then I just won't buy the game. Simple.

Don't get why some are acting like they are being forced into doing something.

Game budgets for AAA games have gone up a whole lot. It's either this, or have game be $80+; Pretty sure more would complain about the latter.

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Oh wow lol.
Dwingvatt
Banned

To produce a high quality game it takes tens of millions of dollars, and when you add in marketing that can get up to 100+ million. In the AAA console market you need to spend a ton of cash on television ads alone, never mind other marketing stunts, launch events, swag, and the hip marketing agency that costs a boatload in your attempts to “go viral” with something. Not only is the market more crowded than ever but your average consumer has many more entertainment options than ever before in the history of humanity. (Hell, when levels are loading in our games my wife and I read Twitter and Reddit.)

Sorry, that only applies if you want to produce games with Hollywood style budget. Platinum have already proven you don't need a huge team to produce with tens of millions of dollars to produce a quality game.

Bayonetta and Vanquish IMO trumps a lot of games that was developed using tens of millions of dollars.

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Oh snap lol
Last edited by Dwingvatt; 02-28-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Soulflarz
(02-28-2013, 11:40 PM)

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Made my day XD
Cramoss

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

earvcunanan

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Hahaha
Crawl

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

I Loled.
Sethos
Banned

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Wunder
(02-28-2013, 11:41 PM)

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias
I bet when _woLf woke up this morning he wasn't expecting to get fucking owned by a game developer.
JABEE

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

You can't silence him. You can only hope to contain him.
Great Rumbler

Originally Posted by Kobun Heat

"If everyone bought their games used, there would be no more games."

Meditate on this Zen koan and you will achieve enlightenment.

But where would the used games come from? :psyduck
TheLight

Originally Posted by _woLf

You and me both, buddy.
B-Dex
(02-28-2013, 11:42 PM)

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Using expletives for attention on an internet forum. Try to be more subtle and classy with your insults. Your post is the equivalent of the dildo in saints row.
EightBitNate
On this episode of Cliffy B Says
ArkkAngel007

Is there any recent examples for this for EA games? I can only think of stuff that servers as time savers, such as unlocking thing early. You dont pay for any content, you just pay to get access to the stuff earlier. Kinda like paying for a cheat code, in a way. Have there been any stuff where you pay for actual content regarding those micro transactions?

If they went the DS3/ME3 route for those games, I'd be fine with it. Competitive multiplayer gets a bit tricky.

As far as I know I haven't seen any microtransactions that actually affect the content of the game. Let it stay that way.
FairXchange
Great read, I agree with his main positions on the micro transactions model.
Hellsing321

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Dammit now everyone at work is staring at me because I can't stop laughing.
-COOLIO-
The Everyman
(02-28-2013, 11:43 PM)

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

oh shiat
LiK

People keep paying for microtransactions, so it is pretty clear that the market wants it. Personally i've never really been affected by microtransactions so far. I remember the thing about Dead Space 3 for example, but i didnt feel that it affected the game at all for me.

wait til you hear what the upcoming DLC is about.
CliffyB
Playah
Just because I don't have a job and I'm sleeping until noon every day doesn't mean I no longer care about my first love...video games.
Karish

Originally Posted by B-Dex

Using expletives for attention on an internet forum. Try to be more subtle and classy with your insults. Your post is the equivalent of the dildo in saints row.

chill the fuck out.
_woLf

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

It's not every day I get to avatar quote Cliff motherfucking Bleszinski.

Thanks for making my day.

Originally Posted by antitrop

I bet when _woLf woke up this morning he wasn't expecting to get fucking owned by a game developer.

ur rite i got 0wn3d i am dead
Im_So_Pringles

ahahahahahaha. Being classy on the internet?

NoFunAllowed.jpg

Just because I don't have a job and I'm sleeping until noon every day doesn't mean I no longer care about my first love...video games.

<3 you Cliffy!
charsace
Accidental Member
(02-28-2013, 11:44 PM)

Please tell me you aren't serious?
RMI
He's not all bad:

If you donít like EA, donít buy their games.

They're making that awfully easy these days.
TheLight

Damn you didn't even have to bring up the deel-do.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(02-28-2013, 11:45 PM)

And that brings me full circle to my main point. If you don’t like the games, or the sales techniques, don’t spend your money on them.

You vote with your dollars.

Absolutely.

But my problem is not with looking at the games industry as a profit making business. My problem is how these monetization schemes provide direct incentive to cut completed content from the core game to repackage later as DLC, or to add or extend in-game XP grinds and unlockables or resource gathering needs.

If a premium item exists solely to overcome frustration or shorten a grind, then I'd argue those grinds and frustrations shouldn't be in the game to begin with, and that they were probably put in the game or made more onerous purely to give premium content a reason to exist.

The last thing I want is more grinds, or NPCs telling me in-game to view the marketplace to buy exclusive missions. Its one thing to see ads everywhere I go in the physical world, but its another thing entirely when I'm getting propositioned to buy more stuff from game characters or menu items. Especially so if I've already paid the retail price for a game. Even moreso if I'm already being asked to pay Microsoft a tax to play the multiplayer elements of that same game that I already paid for.

It may be good for business but it doesn't seem positive for the game experiences themselves.
Last edited by NullPointer; 02-28-2013 at 11:47 PM.
LiK
(02-28-2013, 11:45 PM)

at least you play more than some dudes here. :P