• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jett Rocket II (3DS eshop - 60fps 3D) - First screens revealed

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You're the one who said that "it looks exactly like that in 2D".
It doesn't then, so you should probably reformulate.

RM8

I said that quoting someone who said "2d is 800x240 per eye" - we're talking about resolution, it's incredibly silly assuming I mean no matter which screen you're using to see that pic, it's going to look the exact same size as a 3DS screen.

I mean I even posted an example of a 800x240 pic (which of course is not going to be the exact same size on all monitors!), I can't believe it's not painfully obvious what I meant.

Celine

Well, this looks good. Hopefully it'll end up in Japan like Neo did. The Wii one was good right?
It was decent to good game.
I nice pick for those fond of the old N64 platformers and that maybe have kids to play with (the game is quite easy, collecting every cells in one time is the "hardest" part).
Graphics is fabulous and music is good.

Celine

It flew under my radar that the game was postponed because Shin'en wanted a more free-roaming approach for the 3D levels.
Game apparently is finished and is set to be released in Q3.

BQaOGg7CAAAiPn3.jpg

jett_rocket_2_3d_screenshot.jpg

jett_rocket_ii.jpg

Old teaser (This month Shin'en will released the first trailer):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t07B3RQn2Tg

watershed

Banned
Looks great, I just hope the controls are good enough. A platformer is all about tight controls and the speed of the running and the arc of the jumping. Sometimes I find Shin'en games to have some execution issues so I hope this game is tight enough.

looks amazing but they really need to get some character artists hired as soon as possible,
they have so much talent elsewhere but if that's the best main character they can design then i feel sorry for the rest of the team.

I just really can't stand that character design. :(

it looks like a boy band member, so unfortunate given their clear talent for understanding hardware, i'd even say they can squeeze as much out of hardware as naughty dog can.
but that character........
i do not want to play as a member from one direction

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
They are clearly very technically talented. We'll see how the actual game is though. Like others said, their main character could look better or more unique.

Yeah...

They should probably consider designing a helmet of some kind that masks his face. That said, since the game has a cartoony look, they could get away with something with a lot more personality if they're going to show it.

Coolwhip

Banned
The main character is so damn off putting. If it was more along the lines of Banjo or something Rareware like I would have been interested instantly.

Celine

Great interview.
It basically confirm that jr2 initially was a very different kind of game.
Probably leaning more on to be a 2d platform.

Speaking of 2d platform, people knows that often shinen work is derivative or homage other games.
On gba they developed a "yoshi island" kind of clone.

rjc571

Banned
Great interview.
It basically confirm that jr2 initially was a very different kind of game.
Probably leaning more on to be a 2d platform.

Speaking of 2d platform, people knows that often shinen work is derivative or homage other games.
On gba they developed a "yoshi island" kind of clone.

The impression that I get is that it started off as mostly a 2D platformer with some small Mario 3D Land type levels but they incorporated more open 3D levels and other types of 3D gameplay after they figured out how to get them to run at 60 fps.

Somehow I thought this was coming out today. =(

Anyone know a release date?

Edit: Shinen said over Twitter October if all goes well

It's out.

Played the first two stages, it's decent but graphics hasn't wowed me.
Is it better than the original so far? I thought the first one would be a fun 3D Platformer, but it really wasn't.

Too short, easy and uninspired. Hopefully all these problems are remedied in the sequel.

Celine

Is it better than the original so far? I thought the first one would be a fun 3D Platformer, but it really wasn't.

Too short, easy and uninspired. Hopefully all these problems are remedied in the sequel.
Hard to say about length (it seems meatier but I can't swear since I'm just at the beginning).
It still fell derivative as formula only that this time it is inspired by Super Mario 3D Land for the 3D levels.
Other levels play strictly 2D.

But again I can't judge it yet.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Played until stage 3

Not only is it awesome, it's also pretty challenging (from stage 3 on)!

Music is crack, and it looks superb in motion

Celine

Hard to say about length (it seems meatier but I can't swear since I'm just at the beginning).
It still fell derivative as formula only that this time it is inspired by Super Mario 3D Land for the 3D levels.
Other levels play strictly 2D.

But again I can't judge it yet.
Correction:
There are also 3D levels with more "free camera" compared to SM3DL.

Seems to me development started with 2D levels then went 3D with fixed cam ala SM3DL and for last went with more free 3D levels.

Top Bottom